Ultima The Judge (Arc Two Chapter 7)
326 6 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lapis quietly entered the old warehouse on the docks, after being checked by a burly man that there was nothing on him for a weapon. The inside was pretty dim, but it did have lights. He walked up some stairs and entered into the stands, looking around, there was a betting counter nearby, and people were cheering as two men were fighting in the middle of the warehouse, screens were also up to better show the action. He studied the men for a moment, but neither were any of the six rebels. Even so, he decided to sit around and watch, they may show up yet.

Alexander let himself be searched as well, coming in a few minutes later and locating Lapis. He sat a fair distance away from him and kept his head down, also watching the fights on the screens. 

Soon, one of the men fell, breathing heavily and covered in bruises and small bits of blood. He didn't get up as the referee counted down, still breathing, but out cold. He was hauled out by two burly men before the referee began to talk "I hope you're all enjoying the show here at The Snake Pit!" he walks over "This man here will be going on to fight our champion! The Merciless Maverick! Tell me, what's your name, and are you looking forward to the fight you'll be having soon?" he asked, holding the microphone up to the burly winner, who took a deep breath before talking.

"Call me Ray, and, I will beat that little slippery champion down. He doesn't give mercy so neither will I" he said quietly, prompting cheers from the crowd.

"You heard the man! Make your bets, the match will start in thirty minutes!" The ref shouted, prompting a flood towards the betting counter. Alexander watched as everyone ran to it, including Lapis.

"The odds are ten for Ray and one point four for The Merciless Maverick! The win streak of The MM stands at 20, all of them are deaths!" he announces. There are some who decide to take the chances with Ray, but many of the people take the opportunity to make some easy money, a win streak of 20 was unreal, not to mention the MM would claim this guy's life like everyone else. Lapis listened, only a player would be so cruel, and only a player would also be able to have such a good streak, bar this guy being another hidden NPC or something. He asked others how long MM has been fighting. He'd been here for a little while, just showed up about a week ago, they were dressed in a black suit and wore a mask always. 

"This isn't the only place I've seen him, he's fighting always at other rings in the city. Once this one closes he heads to another one, if he ain't fighting there he's at another. I wonder sometimes if he ever sleeps" a bearded man says when Lapis asks. Lapis decided he knew what was going on about then, sitting down in the stands while his chat said to go and report it to Gareth. He didn't do that, because he had a feeling what would be coming next.

Thirty minutes passed, and the burly Ray took the stand, meanwhile a skinnier and shorter person stepped into the ring. They were in a tight black suit and faceless mask with only white eyes. They took a fighting stance. "The Merciless Maverick VS Ray Jones! Start now!" the ref announced. 

The two lunged at each other, and it quickly appeared that Ray had the upper hand, but at some point, the tables began to turn. The MM began to dodge most of the attacks and respond with harder punches, and soon, Ray was panting.

He continued going even as Ray was struggling, punching with less force than before, seeming groggy as he couldn't catch the quick and dangerous wasp he was battling. He finally collapsed after seven minutes of fighting, covered in patches of bruises and beginning to bleed from his nose. The MM raised his fist, there was a noticeable darkness around it, and he moved to slam it down on the dying man's head.

His fist was stopped as someone grabbed it. His white eyes looked up to see Alexander standing there, he stepped back in shock. Everyone saw Alex rush forward once Ray stopped, and watched as he jumped into the ring and stopped MM's fist from attacking. The ref knew the procedure would be to call the fight off, but the gull of this guy seemed good "We have an intruder! Who seems to disagree with MM's merciless killing! Tell me Intruder, what's your name?" he asked, getting close with his microphone.

Alex had bright red eyes as he stared at the black masked fellow, he heard the referee, and looked to him while The MM stood there in shock, mainly because he just received a mission.

Announcement
Ultima's Judgement
Mission: Your ruthless nature and wanton killing has made Ultima very disturbed and angered, he will not let you go, and will beat you to a pulp before arresting you since he has the chance.
Reward: You get to live if you can beat Ultima.
Failure: You are captured by Ultima.
Notes: Ultima is a lawful neutral character, he dislikes your executions, as he believes honor and respect should dictate you let your opponent live.

Alexander spoke into the microphone "Call me, Ultima, and I'm here to fight The MM, he's a traitor and a killer. So he needs to be put in his place" he said, before turning back to the masked player. The fact he received the mission was the proof he truly needed, and if he wasn't a rebel, he still was going to beat him like a drum.

The MM gulped, but stepped back and got into his corner, the mission said he wouldn't let him go, so the best bet was to just try. He wasn't going back to the stupid Ark Organization. 

Announcement
Status of War On Worlds
Titles: The Merciless Maverick (self made)
Class: Warrior 1 Pit-fighter 1
Skills: Sudden Weapon Improvement, Harming Intent
Abilities: Fighting Spirit, Final Blow (Instantly kill an incapacitated opponent, you must have been the one to bring them down to that state, and the final blow must be a punch to the head)
Statuses: None
Stats follow below
Strength: 10
Dexterity: 14
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 12
Wisdom: 10
Luck: 0
Notes: Your strength has been increased, all around you have average stats, but your speed is much higher than most.

War On Worlds took a deep breath before nodding, accepting his challenge. The two stepped onto opposite ends of the ring, betting opened up as the referee talked "We have a new challenger! Coming from out of nowhere! Ultima! He says that The Merciless Maverick is a killer!" he said loudly. He moved back "Start now" he announced. 

Alexander took a deep breath, not activating his skill as he began walking towards War On Worlds. The player moved back at first before rushing in, trying to attack him head on, he needed Alex to start attacking. When he closed the distance however, the NPC made no moves to attack, even though he deliberately slowed down to give him time to react. 

His fist kept traveling, and it connected with Alex hard, making a resounding thud. The NPC moved, suddenly grabbing Wars' fist as it hit his chest without missing a beat. "Is that your best?" Alex asked, before squeezing it harder.

"I don't know what I expected, disappointing!" he said, and there was a sudden rise in the tension as his eyes began to shine like vibrant rainbows. He grabbed his hand and slammed it into the hard ring, cracking it. He moved his foot and stepped on it to hold him down while raising his fists "Shockwave Impact!" he said, punching forward. 

War coughed as he was slammed into the ground by an immense pressure, there was a loud crack as well when Alex punched "Not enough! Shockwave Impact!" he punched again, making him hit his head on the ring, his vision turning blurry. War ripped his hand out form under the NPC, panting as he stepped back. Alex didn't opt to use his weapons, it was unnecessary. 

War tried to dodge his attacks, but rather than getting close, giving him ample time to dodge, and read his intent, he kept hitting him with shockwave impacts, slowly wearing him down with bruises. "You are nothing more than a coward! Death would be too much of a mercy for you! So just, stay down!" he yelled. War was surprised as he moved in, changing his style.

War moved to block his fists, only for his vision to get even blurrier, as Alex headbutted him. War received a notification about the concussion status, and that his body was starting to lose consciousness. Alex meanwhile received the same information, and kept hitting him in the head as he was unable to react in time with his vision so blurry. 

War soon collapsed, unable to move as he was forced out, told that his body had fallen into an unconscious state for several hours. He had this happen before, but that was when fighting people who just stole money or something, he got this from a person who wanted to arrest him. Alex picked up the masked fighter, who was bleeding from his head "I'm taking him" he muttered, the ref and everyone cheering, he didn't care all that much though. He walked right past Lapis "Come on, we need to go and capture the other ones don't we?" he said, and Lapis nodded before following him.

Chat was going insane currently, and Alex's fight was being spread all over not just the Larian forums, but the Reality Dive in it's entirety. He made waves yet again, it was nothing new to see an NPC fight, but most people only knew his fighting style from the one video, the other time he appeared was just to draw attention away. Many were discussing how brutalist and unforgiving he was, some of course also made note of the fact that the player was killing their opponents in the ring, and that the hidden NPC was a lawful neutral character.

Alex took out his phone "I've caught one of them, he was a fighter, and it sounds like him and his accomplices have been making themselves a legend around here. I'll keep you updated on how we progress" he said. 

Gareth sat up "That was quick, you think they're at the other rings then?" he asked Alexander. 

"I think so, I'm going to guess each one is managing battling in a ring, and we know three. That leaves three more to find. Gareth...what is the punishment for killing multiple civilians, especially deliberately?" he asked the officer, continuing to walk while Lapis tried to keep up, only telling him where to turn to get to the next ring.

"The punishment? Normally it would be death, I'm going to guess though that since they can't die, the scientists and higher ups probably have plans for them then" Gareth answered after a moment "Secure the other two we can find, we will worry about the other three later" he said.

Alex nodded "Understood sir" he hung up, and sped up to run.


Death Seeker grunted as he dodged another attack, before elbowing the masked man in the face. Sweat was pouring off his body and he was feeling tired, but his opponent was struggling more. He saw that he was preparing to leave and announced himself, saying he was a former champion who had come here seeking him to 'settle a score' and the entire audience quickly was alight with support for him to fight the MM.

The MM realized leaving would shatter the reputation that the legend had, but he also knew he had to get going, he settled for fighting though. He was going to mop the floor with Death Seeker first, and then bolt. He underestimated him though. Seeker was just too enduring, taking blow after blow and fighting back harder.

Just as War On Lives was about to find a way to leave, the entrance to The Golden Necklace banged open. A bodyguard fell down the steps as Alexander walked in, carrying his companion on his shoulder. He lost focus for a moment, and in that moment Death Seeker hit his head, putting all he had into it. That was the straw that broke the camel's back, knocking him down and logging him out. 

Alex walked up to Death Seeker "Good work, grab him and lets move onto the next" he said. Seeker only nodded, grabbing the man and huffing as he pulled War On Lives' limp body onto his back and walking back out. Lapis following after the two. 

Alexander called in the second capture as they made their way to the third ring, when a loud explosion rang out. He quickly hung up, glancing to a menu, but what Lapis said next confirmed his suspicions "That's the direction the last ring is in! Amber is there!" the short man yelled. 

Alex took a deep breath "Take this log, I'll get there quicker than you two" he dropped War On Worlds before taking off, pushing past people and moving towards the explosions. He disliked he's ran into two within the span of two days, but he growled. More worried if the last four were making a stand, was Amber a hostage then? He hoped not, but they may have been monitoring Lapis' stream.

Alex growled as he turned to corner, coming face to face with a burning building, people desperately climbing out of it and some screaming, it was beginning to collapse as there was the sound of ambulances, firemen, and police in the distance. He clenched his fist, turning to his status menu.

Announcement

Warning
Use of your ULB while you have been explicitly ordered not to is possible, however, it will take a toll on your mental state far greater than usual, use it at your own risk. Your wisdom has allowed you to make a choice that the mission depends on you using this. The mission takes priority over all other orders.

Alex huffed as he stopped into the burning building, he would do it if he had to, he still had a minute left of ULR too. He called Gareth as he made his way in, telling him the location and what happened before quickly hanging up. 

He walked down the collapsing and burning hallway that had formed, getting closer to the last ring. Why couldn't players be a little more predictable?

Announcement

Cliffhanger I guess, yeah. I saw Hantaros and Bob The Lost talking about how players level up, I'd like to answer this question.

This is a planet without magic, and one of technology, much like our own earth. While they could fight wild animals, that isn't nearly as lucrative as fighting other people. If the world were a more dangerous and untamed one, it may be more possible to fight animals for great EXP, since they are more dangerous with the tools the world doesn't have. This planet is just like earth, it has towns and cities, roads, guns, there is no untamed wild really, and wildlife just isn't that dangerous compared to man.

Well, have a good day and goodnight every reader!

11