What Is An Ultima? (Arc 3 Chapter 5)
252 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lapis had never dealt with the media before, being a streamer he was rarely reported on and never contacted for his thoughts. Since he was never a controversial channel in any way. It was incredibly draining though to talk to these people, even if they were interns who understood games, they still acted really awkward, casually trying to ask things that were readily censored by the system. The Ark Organization had captured most of them, and so far since they complied they hadn't been frozen yet, though with how many questions they asked that may change soon.

Lapis was so glad he was technically considered an 'elite' among all the Lightforms by the higher ups, because he was able to get a meeting with them. He explained the plan to them, like everyone else, even as they logged on they got the hidden NPC quest from Alexander just because they were on Larian and hadn't been hostile to The Ark yet.

"Okay, everyone" Lapis coughed, finally getting the reporters to stop talking amongst each other and sharing information. He knew they were all streaming like him, right to their own news networks. There wasn't too much bad blood between them as people though. He was glad about that particular part.

"So does everyone understand what I'm asking? Who's ******* is willing to make a deal to promote Ultima and make a cover story on him?" he asks, this was his goal through doing this. Find some network willing to cover Alexander much more in-depth than a smear article or something. With how hot he was right now, it would instantly boost coverage for them. "Once again, we are only going to let one of you ask him questions" he says. 

Seeker sat beside him "I hope you all understand pretty well that you can't just casually ask him about you know what, or else you'll be stopped. You need to really make this a real interview, is that clear to all of you?" he says, sighing while looking at all the interns.

They were all level one players at least, they weren't that dumb to not raise their level, among them though there was not one that wasn't a warrior since it was the best surviving class. 

"As much as I hate to agree with him, Seeker is right, this will be a real interview. Treat him as a criminal or a foreign celebrity all you want, but you're going to need to promote him in order to get to cover him. Without our help he may not even answer your questions, and you certainly won't be getting close to him anyway without us three" Amber says, adjusting her hair while staring at them all.

One guy raised his hand, a bit tanned, with blue spiky hair and almost glowing yellow eyes. "My, my ******* is willing to do it! I just got word from my ******, they said they'll pay ten grand to all three of you for the coverage!" he said loudly.

So much of that should've been more censored, but Lapis rolled with it "Money is not what we want, we want a promise that Ultima will be covered fairly and correctly. Whoever can promote him the best, will get the right to question him. This isn't going to be a one and done deal, this WILL be on the front page, and WILL be a cover-story and an entire report in of itself. All of that, or no dice" Lapis says, sighing.

The tanned guy stood up "I want to do it then! I think Ultima is being unfairly judged by, by...um...by other Lightforms!" he says, clenching his fist.

"I like this guy's attitude" Seeker hummed.

Amber rolled her eyes "Ugh, of course you would, but he is passionate" she muttered.

"I think we will go with you then, if you're willing to give him full coverage" Lapis said, smiling. 

"Don't worry, I can promise I'll do that!" the blue haired man said, walking over. The other interns glared, but knew they lost, so they stood up to leave. The three main players shook hands with him "I'm Kira" he says "Thank you so much for this opportunity" he smiles.

"It's no issue, let's discuss some of the finer details now, and you'll get your interview soon with him" Lapis promised, nodding.


"You want us to, make Ultima unclassified?" James asked, looking at the three players sitting across from him. Among their peers these three were considered the strongest, at least within The Ark Organization. In no small part due to their status as Amissa Lumina and the fact they were clearly some of Ultima's most trusted companions.

"That's right, I know it's a lot for us Lost Lights to ask" Lapis said, using the simpler name to talk about themselves "However, there's not a single Lightform it seems in The Ark Organization who doesn't know about him. These other invading Lightforms know about him to, but everyone else on this planet probably doesn't know him" he explained.

"I think it would be very beneficial if we, emphasized something. You know the report, Ultima was able to cut off the arms of a Lightform. No testing you've done, or anyone has done, has been able to actively disfigure one of us right?" Lapis asked, keeping his cool in front of the higher up.

"You're not one, I suppose it wouldn't hurt. Even if he's out of fighting shape for the moment, it's not like we couldn't expose his existence and then say...we've made developments in translating that power to other weapons. I know that other countries are also testing Lightforms, but none have taken the leap we have to completely disable your kind. We could promote that too, though this is a major, major leak of private security" James sighed "I am in charge of making sure your group functions well though. I think we can work something out. I will arrange an interview for your Lightform reporter then, and his report will be spread all across Larian, every single country will know the fact we have someone able to truly damage your kind and therefore repel the invaders" He hummed, standing up "I need to go clear this with the others though first" he said before walking out.

Amber let out a long sigh that she had been holding in "Ultima is certainly going to be remembered after this" she said, rubbing her head. "I'm happy about completing this mission, but it really feels like we're playing into the idea of making him terrifying" she muttered.

"It can't be helped" Seeker said "You know how scary he can be, now we just make everyone else on Larian, the entire world, know that. Make sure he won't be forgotten ever. We complete the mission, and, I hope maybe this alleviates his fear of being forgotten. Good or bad it still accomplishes that" he crossed his arms and smiled.

"Yeah, I hope so too" Lapis sighed, leaning back in a chair.


Kira gulped, sitting in the room of the hidden NPC, a few days after everything was worked out. Despite the fact Ultima was bed ridden he still made the effort to sit up in bed to better look at him. His eyes shined a brilliant purple as he watched Kira get ready with note cards of questions, this was being broadcast now. He was right on the news station as a medium, no pressure or anything.

"So your name is Alexander Ultima, right?" Kira started with asking him. Observing as the NPC leaned back against the wall.

"That's right, that's my full name, although how you know it already is not something I truly understand. Unless you were briefed on me in someway before entering my room. Which makes sense, I assume you're not here to ask simple questions such as that though" Alex said, staring at him right back.

"Right, I'm not, just, it's standard questioning, um, practice you know? Let's move on then, to my second question for you" Kira moved his cards around, looking at the next one "So, Ultima, lots of people are wondering if you know why, you have such a strong effect on Lightforms" he asked.

"Strong effect? You mean like, cutting off that one loud mouth's arms?" he asked, tilting his head and narrowing his eyes.

"Well, that, and if you haven't ever noticed. No Lightform you've ever knocked out has, woken back up. Except for Amber and Seeker who you fully killed that one time right?" Kira elaborated.

"Now that you mention it, I suppose so. I have some theories on the reason because of that, but they are just that, theories" Alexander said, moving an arm and shrugging as he took a clear and deep breath for energy while not breaking eye contact.

"Even if they are theories, people still want to know. Me, your higher ups, your friends, other Lightforms. What's your biggest theory then on why you have a strong effect on us?" Kira asked again, getting closer to him.

Alex closed his eyes and leaned back, looking to the ceiling "I was told to answer all of your questions, so my biggest theory then?" he could lie all he wanted actually, having freedom from the hypnosis finally, but all the NPCs were under the impression he was more emotional, but not yet free from total control. "My biggest theory is that I want to hurt you people, I went overboard that first time, but each time since I have legitimately, actually, wanted to hurt the Lightforms I fought with. So, in someway, that affects my power against you. Interesting, but it's my biggest theory so far" Alex said, keeping his eyes closed for the time being.

"So, you didn't mean to hurt Seeker and Amber that one time?" Kira asked, sitting up and sighing as Ultima finally broke sight with him. Giving him some reprieve from the pressure. Just a little.

"Of course not, at least not on a conscious level. I have not wanted to hurt them period since then. Not after seeing what effect my attacks had on their psyche, particularly Amber's" He said, knowing that playing up the fact he regretted some of his actions would help this story work out better. It was a sincere apology from him as well, just that he made the choice to say it live on TV.

"Yet you continue to do those sorts of attacks on other Lightforms, what makes them different from those two?" Kira flipped his notes and cleared his throat before speaking again.

Alexander finally took another deep breath, before sitting up and exposing his eyes. They were a deep red color "What gives you the right to be immortal?" he asked suddenly, glaring.

Kira felt his voice catch in his throat when the pressure hit him, shaking, but he remained mostly composed. "W-well, we...Lightforms don't choose to be immortal, it kind of just happens?" he tried to say.

"False, if you wanted to, you'd all stay dead and leave us alone" he said with such conviction that Kira actually flinched. "You don't remain dead though, you revive time after time again once you are killed. So we resort to freezing your kind and knocking you all out so that you cannot do that. Be it from your kind's inability to accept death, or the fact you are some sorts of higher beings. I KNOW, you choose to be immortal" Alex said, his eyes becoming rainbow like, choking Kira metaphorically with pressure.

Alex closed his eyes "Or maybe" he opened his eyes again, now a deep blue "You are to be the ones pitied, unable to die, and unable to ever rest in piece. I think there is more to you all then something as simple as being revived over and over though" he sighed and laid back down. "Is there anything else you want to ask?" he asked.

Kira was being given orders to back out, but this was Kira's own question for him. Despite his fears he took a deep breath before speaking "Ultima, are you real?" he asked. 

Alexander stared at him "Your question is strangely deep, isn't it? I would need that to be defined for me. I feel real, and believe myself to be real. Me reflectingly asking you that question back, if you're real. Doesn't do anything, you see?" he turned over, closing his eyes "I wish to rest now" he muttered.

Kira stood up and slowly left, this was a short interview, but also there was no doubt that Ultima was about to be on the spotlight again for his outburst back in the real world.

Announcement
A question for everyone, not related to the story, but polls seem to work remarkably well for asking questions. My meaning with the question is that, while there are certainly RPG games with a lot of character customization, are there any that are actually, fully, wholly, unique to each person? I don't think that's the case, no matter how customizable a game is, it still sets you down a story, a path. You don't need to answer, this is just me, wanting to know what other people think.
Do RPG games REALLY allow for RP?
  • Yes Votes: 4 18.2%
  • No Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Depends on the game Votes: 17 77.3%
Total voters: 22
6