Chapter 8 – Operation: Defense of The Three Kingdoms – Defense of Gim
145 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Central Calendar, 8th May 1523, West of Gim

The Louria personnel are now reaching over two hundred thousand, but more interestingly, around one hundred wyverns are being recalled back to the capital, leaving only fifty that we're able to fight at the front line. Feena notices that when she receives a video feed from Prowler Arcus several days ago. Alicia already got what she needed for, and now she has been ordered to use Celestina’s Dragon Rider to gain air superiority. Feena originally wants to use CF-1 and CAG-2 (Celestina Air Guard-2), but Alicia wants to keep it on reserve.

Captain Temuji still feel worried even before the soldiers are piling up like this. He was rather upset due to the Celestina soldiers arrogancy that relaxes while he and the western garrison are on alert all day long, enduring it for weeks.

“Why you guys don’t want to attack? Do you want to yourself killed after seeing them gathered like this?!”

General Nou and Admiral Breweye arrives and went to Captain Temuji. The Captain immediately bows to them. Nou just smiles and pats his shoulder.

“W-Welcome, General.”

“Rest assured, Captain Temuji. I’m sure Celestina’s Army will repel them.”

Even so, Captain Temuji still hesitates about Celestina’s movements that look like they are slacking off.

Celestina’s snipers are now marking their targets. They want to deal with a devastating blow against the Louria Kingdom in this way. The news of the Celestina’s Navy that win the naval war makes them think, how many of them will survive the onslaught and surrenders.

The news about the defeat of the Louria Fleet was heard to the Eastern Subjugation Army. What worries them is the soldiers that are gathered in the South of the Louria Kingdom. To keep them in check, they dispatch one hundred and fifty thousand soldiers while the other three hundred thousand will advance on Qua-Toyne Principality.

The news circulation about the defeat of the Louria Navy is being limited only to the high-ranked officer. They were curious on what kind of reinforcements Qua-Toyne receive that makes their Navy was defeated.

“I thought they receive reinforcements from the Celestina Empire.”

“Celestina? The country that has a distance of one thousand two hundred kilometers from Qua-Toyne? Ridiculous! There’s no way they can help Qua-Toyne with that distances!”

“Just look at this beautiful scene. They are ready to breach Gim whenever we wanted to. Because of this shield, we’re pleased because we didn’t hear any reports that they possess another shield like this inside Qua-Toyne. Officer Nrom, how we will attack Gim if the troops are gathered in a massive number like this?” Marquis Rebeck, the Commander who was tasked with this massive eastern subjugation army looks at him.

“If this goes on like this, we can be late than scheduled. But, we can still carry out the operation as planned. We should be grateful for those who install this kind of barrier. We can terrorize them in a large number.”

The Command tent was created six kilometers west from Gim. The soldiers just keep harassing and mocking the soldiers inside the barrier. The Marquis has a reason why he set up the base camp up to six kilometers away, as he got some bad premonition, a premonition that he never experience it before.

“Furthermore, we have just received information about our Navy’s defeat in the North Rodenius Sea.”

!!!!!!

“Defeated?! That’s a bullshit! Five thousand ships and four hundred Wyverns are already very large, furthermore, they can also crush Qua-Toyne with just that number?! What kind of detailed report they get?!”

“T-That… they said that they have encountered a giant warship, probably operated by a mage. Then, two hundreds of our Wyverns are captured while the rest are being shot down. Much worse is two thousand of our ships are destroyed, and another two thousand surrenders, and the rest are retreating.”

“Don’t be ridiculous! There’s no such things like that!”

Marquis Rebeck smash the table, not to mention General Pandor has also heard about this news. Then, there is another order. He ordered to withdraw all of the wyverns back to the capital, because of the suspicion of the movements in the Three Kingdoms border.

They can’t abort the invasion like this. Considering they’ve already mobilized their troops to conquer Qua-Toyne, they must make the attack immediately. But, with the shields are turned on and there are no other passageways. They only wait until the barrier is down.


In the 4th Artillery Regiment Headquarters, Feena and the Artillery Regiment makes a final preparation to crush the Louria. The operators are recalibrating for each angle they are assigned to commence the barrages. Juggernauts will aim for the central line, Kodiak will aim for the front line, and 105mm Pounder will attack the rear line with Creeping Barrage.

“Target is locked. Awaiting orders to fire.”

“Grand Duchess! The final preparation has been completed!

“Good. Dispatch LTC-F2 to send the leaflets. Tell them to drop it exactly at ten zero hours.”

“Yes, Ma’am!”


The Louria Army continues to mock, even some are belittling Qua-Toyne due to not wanting to lower the shield down. It’s common for them since their aim to lure the Qua-Toyne army out from the shield and their primary goal is to capture Qua-Toyne Capital.

“Hey! Come and fight us, weakling!!”

“Just keep sulk all day inside the bed!! Hahaha!!”

“Hey, losers!! You want to fight us or you want to be like a crybaby?! Hee hahahaa!!”

Captain Temuji becomes more frustrated to hear that, but General Nou and Admiral Breweye only reply to it with leisure.

“Relax, Temuji. Don’t get so easily pissed off by them or you will play right into their hands.”

“B-But, General! We have to fight them!”

“Speaking about that… Oh, there it is.”

WUKWUKWUKWUKWUK

“Huh!? What’s that?!”

“Is that some kind of new type of dragon?”

LTC-F2

The Louria troops saw two light green object with a pair of object above it spinning exponentially fast curiously. The object arrives above the Louria soldiers, holding position above them, too high for the arrow to reach it. The leaflets of the white papers are being thrown from the object. The paper literally just littering it around as it falls, and the Louria soldiers picks it up and realizes it was a high-quality paper. Rebeck takes a look at what was written in that paper. There was a writing on it as it was using a Common Language to send the warning.


Pack up your belongings and withdraw in four hours. We will lower the shield down in four hours to ensure all of you are retreating or we will annihilate all of you.

Feena Minazuki

Fleet Admiral, Supreme Commander of Einhalzen Engineers Fleet

Grand Duchess of Mechania

CISC Army (Celestina Imperial Space Command Army)


So they have come… the country that was called “Celestina”. Now they just notice it after almost two weeks they did not get any information about the barrier that was erected to prevent us from advancing. But, this is the first time they face a country that gives them a warning before they attack, truly a country with a sense of virtuousness. In front of him, the two hundred thousand men are ready to attack Gim and they are assembling the troop formation immediately.


Inside the 4th Artillery Regiment, 70 Juggernaut Walkers, 40 A-22 Kodiak, and 50 105mm Pounder was installed. The Juggernaut Walker is using stabilizers on its feet to suppress the recoil made by 175mm Artillery Cannon as it can’t fire properly when walking. The other is the Kodiak A-22, with a Main Battle Tank model, but loaded with long-barreled 120mm Artillery. Its firing accuracy is better than the Juggernaut, but it needs more time to pack up and deploy than the walker. The last is 105mm Pounder that was famous as “The Creeping Hell” due to the Creeping Barrage capabilities.

Juggernaut WalkerA-22 Kodiak105mm Pounder

Captain Temuji visits the Artillery base along with General Nou and Admiral Breweye to look at the preparation made by the Celestina soldiers. They exchange greeting before talking.

“Grand Duchess, how is the preparation.”

“It’s done. We’ll just wait.”

“Waiting? For what?”

“To bombard them if they didn’t choose to withdraw.”

“Strange… Usually, we did not give them a warning like that.”

“Oho… I like to give them a chance to live. It’s no fun to attack them without warning, unless they really meant to fight us without backing off.”

That explanation confuses them and they are being redirected to one of the Sniper’s nest to observe the annihilation.


Three Hours Later

Feena is on an interview with a reporter from Earth. After the Fourth Interstellar War, United Nations and the countries that put sanctions on the Celestina Empire immediately ceased all of it due to their catastrophic defeat against an invasion army where they make a plea for Celestina to assist them in exchange of lifting all of the sanctions and gain a spot on a Security Council with the right of veto. Also, the new system known as Imperial Democracy is completely foreign to them as they want to study more about the new governmental system.

“How is this work? It’s like you run an Oligarchy country if I’m to be frank. But considering you have a vassal Country, I think it could be suitable as well to call your country an Empire. The Imperial Democracy is very complicated to us to understand, and it’s completely foreign to us.”

“Imagine if you run a company, name it a holding company. You have a branch that must answer to the Board Director at the main office. We’re a Board Director but with absolute authority. That is if we’re on a company that expands internationally, with a CEO at a main company and CEO at the subsidiary company. I think you can get a catch based on that.”

“But why you choose to make an election like a Democracy goes while you also take some of the Imperial governmental system? If I’m, to be honest, it is very complicated and confusing for everyone.”

Feena shows the Adventurer card and when the reporter looks at it, it displays her skills, talents, and also achievements. Everything is rated based on her natural and trained capabilities that was constantly updated every six months.

“Every five years, there are at least one hundred thousand applicants for Prime Minister of Mechania. The same goes for another territory. Anyone as the Celestina Citizens, good records, and above 25 years can apply to it except for active military except for the High-ranked officer that wants to be Minister of Defense with special conditions is must be a part of War Maidens Squadron. The selection is very tough as not only you need to know about the territory, but we will also take a look at your skillset, talents, and achievements. Practical test is where they will put their knowledge, skills, influence, and talent into the test and the numbers will drop down to the best four for over six months of trial. If you fail, you have a chance to expand it for five years.

The ones who have the most votes out of four by the citizens of that territory will be elected as the Prime Minister. They have to take my mantle to lead my territory, but becoming Emperor poses a more difficult task. He or she must take the mantle of the Main Council to lead the entire land. It’s a grand competition if I have to be honest.”

“Why you’re still using the Imperial Democracy system? Is there a reason why you don’t want to change it into a democratic system?”

“That is… depends on how the deities will answer. We’ve already sent a letter to the Kingdom of Embellia to change their status into either a Commonwealth or a protectorate state. Since this was based on the God of Sea, Poseidon’s request, we cannot meddle on it too much. We do once turn it into… what people say an Oligarchy country with a Democracy system after the Second Interstellar War, but that was changed after the Third Interstellar War where we left no choice but to apply an Imperial Democracy system after the Kingdom of Embellia was accepted as a Vassal state by the deities. We’ve questioned it many times, and yet, they still won’t change the status nor grant our requests. It troubles us, to be honest, so the best way is to make it like this. Another reason is the deities don’t accept our retirement from the government while they accept us to appoint a ruler to rule on behalf of us.”

Sipping her tea, Feena continues.

“We will try to talk again to them this year, so we can change the status back to a democratic system. Emperor changed into President, Prime Minister will be changed into the Governor. The last time we meet, we got displeased with the answer.

For the cabinets, we also hold the selection as our main purpose is to suppress as much political pressure as we can, but on a more national scale. The selection directly goes through us and the previous Emperor through theory and practical tests, then we pick four names so the new Emperor will choose them until a week before inauguration time. You take that mantle, you do it seriously since we never accept those who did not seriously handle that role. It’s the same as Prime Minister where your skill set, talents, influence, and achievements will come to play. People with natural talents and those who work hard, both have the same oddities.”

“Regarding the Kingdom of Embellia, did they oppose your decision when you let them choose their own Queen to lead the Kingdom?”

“That’s the most interesting part is. They do not oppose it, but the country status is what makes the deity oppose to it. Originally, we want to make it a protectorate country and to make our country a democracy, but it was rejected. It’s best you can ask Alicia for more details. She keeps all the records from each development.”

“I see. Thank you for your time then.”

“My pleasure. I will also help you to arrange the time for an interview with Alicia later. She is the War Maiden of Knowledge, after all.”

It’s rare for the reporter to get time to speak with the Main Council since they usually go around to explore or to run the errands that belong to them. However, when Feena takes the lead of the Operation: Defense of The Three Kingdoms along with Sofya Viltaria to secure the citizens of Qua-Toyne, they got time to be interviewed.

When the clock strikes thirteen fifty-five, an Officer reports in.

“Reporting in! They are prepared for battle!”

Feena thinks about it and she grabs her signature giant axe, swinging it around.

“Alright then, pop it when the clock strikes fourteen oh zero.”

“Yes, Ma’am!”

Captain Temuji, General Nou, and Admiral Breweye are invited into one of the Sniper’s nest where they will observe the annihilation of the Louria Army.

“What are they planning to do?”

“I don’t know. Let’s observe it.”


When the clock reaches fourteen zero hours, the Juggernauts, Kodiaks, and 25mm Pounder firing in unison.

Rebeck observes the soldiers that are in the battle formation this time. They saw the shield is slowly going down.

The troop formation was beautiful and elegant as it was seen just by how disciplined they are to face Gim troops later. They thought that Celestina is strong, and with just two hundred thousand, they will surely be able to sweep Gim clean and making up for the lost time to catch up with the schedule.

!?... He suddenly receive a premonition when he was clear-minded, he felt something bad is really going to happen. His body starts to feel a chill as he can feel the grim reaper is closing in to reap his life. What is going on?

On the rear line, some soldiers notice the white flares dropping at their position. Some mage also sense the tiny power of magic slowly dissipates.

“What was that…?”

When they are still curious, explosions suddenly happens on each of the lines.

BADABLAAMM!!! KABOOOMM!!! BOOOOMM!!!

“W-What the hell is going on?!”

All troops are panicked. The Creeping Barrage performed by 105mm Pounder adds the disorientation of the backline. Each explosion, many of the bodies were thrown, either it was intact or already dismembered due to explosion. All of sudden, the two hundred thousand personnel that are lining up in order fell into chaos.

“This… this… this is impossible!!!”


“Wha-what's going on?! Is there some kind of eruption underneath them?”

Temuji witness on how merciless Celestina is while Admiral Breweye and General Nou can feel the chill just by witnessing the battlefield through the firing of three different artillery.

The rear lines were enveloped in black smoke, some try to break through the shield while the process of opening is not done yet. Each time the black flower blooms, the soldiers are being thrown around everywhere either it was intact or just a lump of meat. The Creeping Barrage made by 105mm Pounder makes the troops that were about to run from the battlefield become cornered and unable to escape.

The 1st and 2nd Royal Defender Battalion takes a position to eliminate any threats that are coming to their way. The sniper spots 25 Wyvern Rider is coming to them and immediately inform the command.

“We’ve got Wyvern Reinforcements!! Requesting air support!!”

“Copy that, 5th Battalion Blue Stallion has sortied the Wyverns from Hauptmann.

The infantry continue to get smashed, as if it was they look like being an ant trampled by a boot.

The main camp was spared from the bombardment, but that doesn’t mean it won’t be targeted. The soldiers outside the camp did not give a chance to retreat.  Their times in training, preparation, everything is meaningless in front of this artillery. There is no glory on this battle, only a one-sided slaughter. Nou and Breweye, witnessing those fireworks are talking to each other.

Celestina’s Wyverns later arrived to commence a dogfight, they only send 10 Wyverns to intercept it. The Louria Wyverns are opening their mouth, adding the rotation, and firing it to the Celestina Wyverns. Much to their terrifying, the Celestina Dragon Riders dodges all of it. The Wyverns is gathering its flame in its mouth as it could intend to burn them into flames, but they were wrong. The fireball is gathered inside the mouth and when it was released, it unleashes the power that vaporizes the Louria Wyverns upon impact and they can’t dodge due to the trajectory is faster than the Louria rider’s thought. Some of the Louria Wyvern riders are being shot down by Celestina’s riders with a shot from a rifle.

“To think they also possess a wyvern… A better one at that. We’re grateful that we have Celestina as our allies.”

“Yeah. Even they send a few soldiers, they can utilize their men and their quality efficiently to make this kind of damage.”

“But, are all Celestina soldiers are mages? I heard from Hanki that the entire Celestina military personnel are adventurers.”

“It could be. In fact, just by looking at how this battle goes, they are more experienced than us in Qua-Toyne. Maybe it’s better if we can send some of our soldiers to be an adventurer to get a new experience. Temuji, if you have spare time, register yourself as an adventurer at Qua-Toyne Adventurers Guild, next to Celestina Ambassador.”

“Huh? Why it has to be me, General?”

“That goes also for your entire units as well. I will see if I can arrange a joint defense between Celestin and your men. You and your units should go on an adventure to gain field experience than staying here all the time.”

“B-but… What about the replacements? What if there was another attack?”

“Take it easy. Just trust Celestina.”

“Tch…”

Temuji got frustrated, but he also can’t deny the fact that Celestina did this. The citizens of Gim witness the slaughter and they saw it with their own eyes on how the Louria troops was like receiving a wrath from the god itself due to their desire to destroy this country.


Rebeck was going mad with despair as he watched his men are being slaughtered mercilessly. Comrades in arms, veteran soldiers, talented general, even some knights that have a relationship with his family, training partners, are all being killed without mercy. He was haunted by how his men died in vain, when that mind continues to possess along with the artillery sound, it makes him even more crazier.

But, the grim reaper does not let him go. The white flare fell to where he and the troops that are stationed at. The last time he remembers was his body was torn to pieces due to the explosion. After the shield is entirely open, the 1st and 2nd Royal Defender Battalion along with Infantry from the 4th Artillery Regiment checking the field to see if there are survivors.

Miraculously, only 50 of them survived and most of them are from the rear line, however, they suffer a trauma that makes them immobile. The troops gently escort those who survived, tending the wounds, and going to be taken into Paltina Town at Childre for treatment before taking into Hopri Town for imprisonment.


General Nou, Admiral Breweye, and Captain Temuji are gulping to see the result of the bombardment. The surviving Louria troops are taken and handled with care by the 1st and 2nd Royal Defender Battalion and Infantries from the 4th Artillery Regiment into Gim to put them to rest before being taken into Celestina for rehabilitation.

“Is this… The power of Celestina…”

The Qua-Toyne soldiers are stripped their chance from entering the battle. The Commanders, Captain Temuji, General Nou, and Admiral Breweye should be rather happy that they got no casualties. Instead, they feel a sting of defeat after witnessing Celestina’s power.


Principality of Qua-Toyne, Government Meeting, Two days later

“…that concludes the report on the battle west of Gim between Celestina Imperial Army and the Louria Army.”

“……..”

“Well then, does anyone know how Celestina is able to use that high-powered explosion magic, or did no one see it?”

“Yes sir. As written in the report, Celestina conducted the attack from their garrison.”

“That’s impossible! Celestina’s garrison was twelve kilometers from the site of high-powered explosion magic! Twelve kilometers! Such extraordinary magic found in the fairy tales about the ancient sorcerous empire!”

The meeting erupted into noise. With his hand raised, Prime Minister Tanaka quieted the venue down.

“Everyone, please take a look at these materials.”

Handouts on a high-quality paper, imported cheaply from Celestina, were passed out to all legislators.

This was… a request to assault the Louria’s capital?!

“According to the report from Grand Duchess Alicia, they give us a proposal to assault the Louria Capital. They will sortie their iron dragons for air dominance. Their main purpose is to capture King Louria on the charges of attempting mass murder, and racism. At the same time, Celestina also will sortie their 1st Shock Trooper Division to launch the attack from the south towards the capital. The 4th Artillery Regiment will push towards the Eastern Vassal Subjugation Army to suppress the remaining threat before also advancing towards the capital.”

“How many personnel stationed by Celestina on those Three Kingdoms border?”

“At least around ten thousand personnel.”

 “Isn’t the enemy army is fifteen times more than that? Did they plan on suicide?”

“Prime Minister, if I may?”

General Nou raises his hand and Tanaka allows him to speak.

“The Louria Army will be destroyed. We have witnessed how Celestina fights and they can destroy 200,000 Louria personnel with just less than 200 Artillery. I propose that we launch the assault on the Louria Kingdom together with Celestina. Our primary goal is to restore the border, and with Celestina’s air support, we do not need to worry about Wyvern attack.”

“Isn’t that makes us more vulnerable to get attacked again that way?”

“Not for now, the Celestina’s army at the border of the Three Kingdoms already guarantees it.”

“But, what are they planning to do after capturing King Louria?”

“That… I don’t know… Celestina has no plans on annexing the Louria. Possibly between Louria will take Celestina conditions, or probably they will help us annex Louria.”

“No, we don’t agree with that.”

After taking a vote, the legislators unanimously approved Celestina’s proposal to assault through land, sea, and air within Qua-Toyne, as well as their proposal to attack Louria.


Kingdom of Louria, Qua-Toyne Subjugation Corps, Eastern Vassal Army

20 Kilometers west of the Louria Border…

“We can’t contact the main advance force?!” Yelled Lieutenant General Ardem at the communications squad.

“According to my superior, we’ve been sending out communications, but receiving no responses.”

There had been no news from the main advance force for two days. The last report was they were stalled by the barrier at Gim which prompts them to gather their troops up to 200.000 before battle. Also, they only got 25 Wyverns remaining as 10 of them are being sortied to scout out the situation. There was no way such a large army could be annihilated before even a message was transmitted into them.

“What about the reconnaissance team?”

Ardem has ordered 10 Wyverns to scout Gim. During the initial attack, they have lost 50 Wyverns, 100 is being recalled into the capital, and now, 25 of them are also not returned. Only 15 Wyverns remaining on station at the subjugation main camp. Should Marquis Rebeck did not to his job, he can send his men to kill his family for being disobedient as punishment.

“They should be passing the last known location of the advanced main army last-known location soon and sending us a report.”


Kingdom of Louria, Qua-Toyne Subjugation Corps, Eastern Vassal Army, Wyvern Scout Squadron, Dragon Rider Wrangler

“It should be around here…”

The 10 Wyverns scouting the area around Gim were split up, each searching a different zone. Wrangler was assigned to scout out the zone containing last known coordinates for the advance main force. It was a bit cooler today, but the weather is slightly cloudy albeit sunny. The flight was quite comfortable, but it could be trickier since he saw a lump of cloud is closing in.

The advance main force was missing. His job was to verify their status.

“Hm?!”

He thought he saw a glint of armor… he flew up higher.

“What… what is this…?!”

He saw what looked like those craters on the moon all over the place. In places without craters, he saw a lump of soils with some equipment left behind such as shovels. Human and horse parts, all mixed together, being picked at by few jet-black birds, which were the sign of demons in Louria.

He looks around with a terrifying face. There wasn’t a single moving person.

“They were… annihilated…?”

This was impossible… and terrifying.

“GRAH!! GRAH!!!”

His wyvern partner roars a warning, making him curious.

“Eh?!”

His instinct tells him that he needs to dodge, and he did make an evasive maneuvers. Turns out, when he dodges, he saw a male beastman cat that puts an irritated face when his kick was missed. When the sword was pointed to him, he quickly dodges it.

“T-they’re so fast!!”

Not done yet, he heard something from Gim town.

WOOOSSHHH!!

A hidden Celestina soldier is firing something. Something is like a small flame went towards him.

“He can spew a fireball?! Wait, is that a guided fire blast?!”

It was so, so far away! Its effective range was apparently much further than his own wyvern’s flame blast. From that distance, its range probably even surpassed a wyvern lord’s! However… Wrangler simply flew up into the air. No matter the range or speed of the attack, if he saw it coming, he could avoid it. This level of attack needed to be a surprise for a hit. He supposed that they had a poor vision.

“!!! It’s following me!”

The fire blast had curved in mid-air and continued chasing him.

“Uwaaaahh!!”

He put everything he had into flying, every trick and tactic he ever learned while glued to his wyvern’s back, zig-zagging, looping, banking, anything he could think of. The fire blast simply changed its orientation, every time. He had never seen this kind of attack before.

“A guided fire blast is chasing me!!!” Wrangler yelled into his magical communication tool. “D-Dammit…!”

As the wind blew in his face and the fear of death came over him, various memories surfaced, unbidden, in his head.

“Good luck,” His wife said, smiling as she sent him off to war. “Here now, don’t you want to say bye to your daddy?” “G-good luck, daddy…” “Ah, ahh…”He got a daughter and a son, the daughter is almost four years old and his son has just turned one year old, grinned as he hugged both of the kids. “Here… a charm, to protect you. Take it.” She gave him some kind of light, gold object. He had always attached it to his belt, at his hip.

“I’m not… gonna die here!!!!”

At his sudden ascent, the guided fire blast, again, corrected itself to follow him. He then dove sharply---

The charm on his belt came loose. The fire blast closed in.

BOOOOOOMMM!!!

Wrangler and his wyverns slightly throw forward due to the shockwave from the explosion. Once both recovered, he and wyvern partner quickly headed back into the western sky to escape.

8