Chapter 34
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rina gasped at the sight of them and hugged Carl tightly. “I was so worried. You need to tell me what’s going on right now. Don’t you dare even think about giving me any of that nonsense about trying to protect me. OmniLab Security just arrested my son and searched my home.”

He hadn’t wanted to get her involved, but it was a little late for that. “You’re right. I owe you an explanation.”

She was quiet as he told her the entire story. When he finished, he said, “I’m sorry I brought you into this, Mom, but I’m trying to protect someone I care about.”

Rina sat down in shock. “This is unbelievable.”

Carl crouched down beside her. “I need to go check on Kayla and find out if she’s learned anything about removing the bracelets. We’re running out of time. They’re determined to find her.”

Cruncher paced the room. “I’m sure they’ve got surveillance all over the place, Boss. They’re going to be waiting for you to make a move.”

“Can you see if there’s a way to access the security system? I want to find out if there’s any way I can get out of here without them detecting me.”

“Yeah, I think we can figure something out.”

While Cruncher, Xantham, and Veridian began working on the problem, Rina pulled on Carl’s arm to get his attention. “I don’t think you should go, Carl. Let me go check on her. They won’t be expecting me.”

Carl looked at his mother in surprise. Although he was touched by the courageousness of her offer, he wouldn’t risk it. He already had to deal with one woman he cared about who was intent on putting herself in danger; he wasn’t sure his heart could handle another. “Absolutely not. I’m not going to drag you into this any more than I already have. If this goes badly, I won’t risk anything happening to you or Dad.”

She frowned. “I had a feeling you were going to say that.”

What he didn’t say was that if things went badly and he was exiled, he had more options than she did. But judging by the worried expression on his mother’s face, he didn’t have to say it. The threat was very real.

Carl offered her a reassuring smile before turning away to join the rest of his men in trying to access the security system.

1