Chapter 46
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kayla felt Alec approach behind her, but she didn’t turn. Wrapping her arms over her chest, she tried to rub away the chill. She should be glad about what they’d accomplished with Seara’s bracelet, but she couldn’t help but wonder at the cost. She’d spent so much of her life simply trying to survive; she’d never had to think about the consequences before.

Alec took her elbow and turned her toward him. She looked away, unwilling to meet his eyes.

“There’s nothing to be ashamed of,” he said in a low voice.

She didn’t reply, pressing a finger to her lips, thinking about the kiss they shared. Was it shame? Maybe in part. After all, she’d practically thrown herself at Alec—again. It wasn’t fair to either Alec or Carl. But she was more confused than anything else. It seemed the more confused she became, the more she wanted to retreat. Running off and forming her own camp was still looking like an attractive alternative.

Carl and Cruncher emerged from the safe room, the door sliding shut behind them. She didn’t want to deal with another altercation. Looking up, her eyes locked with Carl’s. He hesitated for a moment, and Kayla thought he’d come over to her as Alec had. Instead, he turned to the table and had a seat with the rest of the crew. Her mouth curved in a small smile. They may not share a connection, but he always seemed to know what she needed, and she loved him for it.

Love? She paused, testing the word out in her head and it felt… right. She didn’t need an energy bond with him to know how she felt about him. She loved him.

Before Kayla could assess her feelings further, the door chimed, silencing all conversations in the room. Seara looked at Alec in alarm.

He shook his head. “I don’t know, Seara. My guess is my father.”

Alec reached out to Kayla with his thoughts. “I’ll protect you as best I can.”

Kayla nodded at him. Seara went to the door, nervously twisting the bracelet around her wrist. She reappeared a moment later with Edwin, Director Borshin, and Cessel.

Edwin looked around at Carl’s crew with disapproval. “Seara, your choice of company is proving rather questionable.”

Seara lifted her chin and gestured to the crew with a regal sweep of her hand. “These are my daughter’s friends, Edwin. They are welcome here as long as they’d like. That is, unless the High Council plans on interfering in more of my personal matters.”

Edwin’s mouth twitched slightly. “I understand your daughter has agreed to cooperate with us. I’ve brought Cessel to administer a blood test to determine if she’s stable enough to have the bracelet equipped.”

Cessel stepped forward, his movements stiff and wary. “My apologies, Mistress Rath’Varein. This will only take a moment.”

“Go ahead,” Alec instructed her. “Whatever happens, follow my lead. If we’re lucky, your system won’t be stable enough for the bracelet yet. Otherwise, I’ll need you to play along with me.”

Kayla stepped forward, masking her apprehension, and pressed her thumb against the testing device. A moment later, the monitor beeped. Cessel looked down at the display. “She’s stable. We can fit her for the bracelet now.”

“Excellent,” Edwin declared, rubbing his hands together. “Kayla, go with Cessel and Director Borshin. It shouldn’t take more than an hour.”

Kayla’s gaze darted to Alec, seeking guidance. He didn’t look at her, his focus on his father. “I demand my right to appeal this decision before the High Council.”

Edwin looked mildly surprised at his son’s objection. “On what grounds?”

“It’s my intent to claim this woman,” he declared in a formal voice. “I have been given an exemption from wearing the bracelet due to the nature of my talents. Any claim on her could be compromised if she wears the device.”

Seara muffled a gasp at the announcement.

Edwin’s eyes narrowed, and he demanded, “Just what sort of game are you playing, Alec?”

Alec regarded his father and moved to stand beside Kayla. He linked his arm with hers, a show of solidarity. “There is no game. She has asked me to claim her twice now. The claim has not yet been completed, but it is my intention to do so.”

Edwin perused Kayla slowly as though assessing the validity of Alec’s words. She leaned closer to Alec, hoping he knew what he was doing. “Very well. The High Council is meeting in an hour to discuss the final trader bid this evening. You may present your argument then.”

Kayla felt Alec tense beside her, and he shook his head. “That is insufficient. I require additional time to properly prepare for an appeal.”

Edwin regarded his son in annoyance, his patience clearly at an end. “Your request is denied. You have one hour. If the High Council does not grant your appeal, I will see her outfitted with the bracelet by the end of the day.”

Edwin motioned for Director Borshin and Cessel to follow him and headed for the door. When they had left, Kayla turned back to Alec. “What’s this about an appeal?”

Alec sighed and took Kayla’s hand. He led her back to the safe room so he could explain without worrying about their conversation being monitored. Seara, Carl, and Veridian followed them.

When the safe room door closed and security had been enabled, he said, “I was trying to buy us some time. We aren’t in a position where we can directly challenge the High Council. There’s no way we can safely deactivate the rest of the bracelets.”

“Okay, so I just go in there, tell them I want you to claim me, and they drop this crazy bracelet nonsense? That sounds easy enough.”

“I’m afraid not. They’ll ask several questions, and you won’t be able to lie to them. They have security features set up in the room that can detect if you’re lying. The safest approach is to give them as little information as possible while remaining honest.”

Seara looked at Kayla and added, “That’s not all. By doing this, you’re formally announcing your intention to allow Alec to claim you. It’s essentially like an engagement, only more intricate.”

The testosterone level in the room shot up. The look in Carl’s eyes was murderous. “Engaged? Why not help us get her out of the towers?”

“I know my father. He’ll throw every last resource into hunting her down. He got a taste of what Kayla is capable of doing, and he wants it for himself. I’ll do whatever is necessary to keep Kayla from wearing the bracelet.”

Seara frowned. “As much as I hate to admit it, Alec is right. Edwin’s fixated on Kayla. He’s not going to let up. As it is, there’s a good chance he’ll push for this appeal to be denied.”

“Well, shit,” Kayla muttered. This whole situation kept getting better and better.

Alec turned to look at her and said quietly, “Kayla, I’m not trying to force you into anything. If there were another option, I would do it, but we’re running out of time.”

Kayla nodded, her gaze falling on Carl. The hurt and frustration in his eyes wounded her, but she didn’t see any alternatives. Even if she ran, the backlash could affect Carl and everyone in his camp. She couldn’t let that happen. They’d put everything on the line for her, risking themselves and their livelihood, to rescue her from the towers. At least if she did this, she could protect them from that.

“Do you mind if I have a minute alone with Carl?”

Alec inclined his head. “Very well. I’ll be in the living area. We’ll need to leave soon if we’re going to do this though.”

When they were gone, Kayla turned to face Carl. He put his arms around her and drew her close, pressing his forehead against hers. She clung to him, relishing in the security his arms offered. “This doesn’t change the way I feel about you, Carl. I’m just doing this to save my ass.”

“I know.” His voice was hoarse as though the words pained him.

“I told you before that I never told Pretz I loved him,” she admitted, touching Carl’s face with her fingertips. She wished she could stay in his arms forever. “I don’t want to make the same mistake again.”

“What are you saying?”

Her eyes softened as she looked up at him. It was time to let go of the past and consciously reach toward a future. No matter what happened, she wanted that future to be with Carl. He’d been her anchor, grounding her when she needed a reality check, protecting her when her impulsiveness got her into trouble, and forcing her to consider possibilities she’d tried to ignore.

He wasn’t perfect. Far from it. He was cocky, arrogant, and probably one of the most devious people she’d ever met. But he’d also touched her in a way she never thought possible. She might go through with this plan of Alec’s, but she wouldn’t do it without telling Carl how much he meant to her. Gathering her courage, Kayla poured everything she felt into three little words.

“I love you.”

Carl froze, and then his arms tightened around her. “I love you too, Kayla.”

Her heart fluttered, and he lowered his head, capturing her lips with his. She felt herself get lost in his kiss and the tenderness of his touch. On some level, she recognized she wouldn’t be able to share the same sort of connection with him that she did with Alec, but she didn’t care. Right now, this is what she wanted, and the energy stuff could go to hell.

He ended the kiss with a look of regret. “You should probably go. You need to arrive with Alec. I’ll bring Veridian, Xantham, and Cruncher with me to the meeting. We can talk more when we get back.”

Kayla ran her fingers lightly across his chest. “I’ll hold you to that.”

He let her go, and they went back into the living area. Alec looked up when they entered. “You’re ready?”

When Kayla nodded, Seara stood up. “I’m going with you too. As your mother, it’s my right to be present during the appeal.”

“All right,” Kayla agreed.

She gave Carl one last look before Alec led her to the door. Once they were outside, Alec took her hand in his while Seara followed behind them. She could sense Alec’s irritation and realized he knew what had happened in the safe room. He was trying to dampen his emotions so she wouldn’t pick up on them. She bit her lip, wishing there was a way to ease his hurt.

Alec squeezed her hand and thought toward her, “It’s all right, Kayla. I understand.”

He led her toward the priority elevator and they stepped inside. Alec keyed in the code to give them access to the top of the towers and explained, “The High Council meeting hall is on one of the top levels. It’s above where we had dinner when you first arrived.”

Kayla took a deep breath when the elevator door slid open. Several people stood in the hall watching their approach with interest. Alec ignored them and led her to the double doors of the meeting hall.

It was a large room with a broad, semicircle-shaped table serving as the main focal point at the head of the room. Numerous rows of seating were set up facing the table. Several seats were already occupied.

Alec walked down the aisle with Kayla on his arm and turned down the row closest to the front of the room. This area was roped off, and he pressed his thumb against a small panel. The rope retracted, and the three of them stepped through and took their seats.

“The hall is open to the public and broadcast to everyone during trader bids. The High Council will listen to the trader bids first, and then we’ll be called up to appeal. Be honest, say as little as possible, and we’ll get through this. I won’t leave your side.”

Kayla nodded, resisting the urge to squirm in her seat. A chime sounded, and people began filing inside the room. She glanced around, realizing she was sitting in some sort of priority area. The general population and many other Inner Circle members sat behind her. Her back straightened, and she shifted a bit closer to Alec, feeling the weight of several curious stares on her.

After several minutes, the High Council entered the room and took their seats at the table in the front. A handful of the chairs remained empty, and she silently asked Alec about it.

“The High Council hasn’t been full in years. Only certain lineages are permitted a place in the High Council. They accept one person from each family and it’s usually a lifetime commitment.”

Kayla studied the members of the Council. Each one carried himself with an air of authority, but most were much older than Alec and closer to Edwin’s age. It was difficult to imagine him sitting up there. “Carl said you’re next in line for the High Council. How is that possible if your father is already on the Council?”

“My mother was the last of her family’s line. She was killed in the ruins with your father. With the shortage of High Council members, they’re planning on appointing me to the Council as a representative of her family’s line within a few weeks.”

Kayla was distracted when Edwin stood to address the room. He welcomed everyone, introduced each of the High Council members, and explained the final trader bidding process. The two traders would receive fifteen minutes to state their case and qualifications before engaging in a brief question-and-answer session. Based on their responses, the High Council would make a determination and announce their final decision that evening.

“This is just a formality,” Alec explained. “They’ve already made their decisions.”

Milo stepped up to the podium first. Kayla resisted rolling her eyes as he detailed his qualifications and expertise. There was no question about his intelligence, she just doubted he possessed the skills to handle living on the surface.

When the question-and-answer session began, Kayla sighed when he stumbled awkwardly through the questions. Based on the reactions of the other council members, Kayla figured it was pretty safe to guess Rand had this nailed.

After Milo stepped off the platform, Rand took his place. Kayla leaned forward intently, curious to hear what he had to say. He rattled off his qualifications and experience, and then the High Council began interviewing him.

Kayla recognized Keith from dinner the night before as one of the High Council members conducting the questions. “There’s been a question recently introduced about whether formal training in our pre-war history is relevant to the trader position. What are your thoughts on this matter?”

Rand paused for a moment before answering. “It is, but only to a degree. Studying history gives us a strong foundation regarding our past, but more importantly, it gives us a better understanding of human nature. I recently had the honor of meeting someone who used to live in one of the surface camps. She shared some of her experiences with me. It quickly became apparent that some skill in social engineering, diplomacy as well as formal training in core subjects, is necessary to succeed in this appointment. Only with these skills will we be able to bridge the rift between the traders and the surface camps so everyone benefits.”

“And do you believe you have these skills?”

Rand smiled and winked at Kayla in the audience. “I do. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be standing here before you at this moment.”

Kayla bit back a smile. One of the other council members asked a general question, and Rand neatly responded. He handled himself better than she’d expected, replying confidently to each of the remaining questions before finally stepping off the platform.

Edwin announced, “Thank you for your responses. We’ll confer with one another, and the official announcement of the trader appointment will be made this evening.”

He paused, his eyes resting on Alec and Kayla as he said in a loud voice, “The next order of business involves an appeal of the issuance of a security bracelet to an Inner Circle member. Will the appellants please step forward?”

Kayla’s heart pounded. Alec held out his arm for her, and they walked to the front of the room. She noticed the whispers and shocked looks when the audience recognized them. They stepped up on the podium, and Kayla felt a trickle of energy around them. She realized this was what Alec meant by not being able to lie—they had somehow erected some sort of truth barrier.

Edwin leaned forward. “Please go ahead with your argument when you’re ready.”

Alec’s gaze swept the room before formally addressing the High Council. “My name is Master Alec Tal’Vayr, member of the Inner Circle and applicant to the High Council. The woman beside me is Mistress Kayla Rath’Varein, member of the Inner Circle and daughter of Andrei Rath’Varein, former leader of the High Council.”

He paused for a moment, and Kayla was acutely aware he commanded the attention of everyone in the room. “In support of our endeavors to acquire additional resources, many Inner Circle members are wearing bracelets to pool their combined energy. Due to the nature of my talents, it was previously determined by the High Council that I should be exempt from participation in this energy pool.”

Many members of the High Council nodded in agreement. Alec continued, “I formally declare it is my intention to claim Mistress Kayla Rath’Varein as my wife and partner. As such, I ask that she also be exempt from this request.”

Many people in the audience gasped at this news. Kayla could see the shocked expressions of many of the High Council members. Wife? Oh, shit. Seara wasn’t kidding.

The reality of the words made her want to bolt. As though sensing her panic, Alec gave her hand a reassuring squeeze.

Keith rapped the desk to bring everyone’s attention back to him. “She didn’t grow up learning our ways. Does she even understand what this means?”

“She does,” Alec replied confidently. “I have explained it to her. Her mother, Mistress Seara Rath’Varein, has also explained it to her.”

“You haven’t known her more than a few days,” someone else argued. Kayla recognized him as Marcus, one of the dinner companions from the previous night. “ How can you be sure you’re compatible?”

Alec smiled at the question. “When Kayla was born, it was our parents’ intention we eventually marry and the Rath’Varein and Tal’Vayr families merge together. As far as compatibility is concerned, we have already determined our energy levels are highly compatible. A bond has already been formed, it just has not yet been completed.”

Several of the council members looked shocked by this news, and Edwin leaned forward and demanded, “Calson, verify this so-called bond.”

Kayla could sense Alec’s annoyance when a middle-aged man with dark hair stood. He left the council table and walked toward Kayla and Alec, holding out his hands to each of them.

Kayla looked at Alec questioningly, and he nodded. They each placed one of their hands in Calson’s, and the man closed his eyes for a moment. Kayla felt his energy float around her and Alec. She didn’t like it but resisted the urge to pull her hand away.

After a few moments, he opened his eyes and turned to Edwin. “There is definitely a bond. As Alec indicated, the bond is not complete, but it is there. Even now, there’s an energy connection established between them.”

Edwin frowned at the news and studied the two of them. “Kayla, you’ve been silent during this appeal. I can’t help but wonder if this is an elaborate ruse to get out of your duty as an Inner Circle member?”

Kayla hesitated, cognizant of the lie detector field pulsing around them. She may not be able to lie, but misdirection was part of the life of a ruin rat. She lifted her chin to meet Edwin’s gaze, refusing to let him intimidate her. The man was nothing but a bully and had been using his position to take advantage of innocent people just like Ramiro. “Elaborate ruse? I’ve been in these towers for less than two days. During that time, I’ve been attacked, imprisoned, and hunted down.”

Alec shot her a warning look, but she ignored him, focusing solely on Edwin. “Alec, with the exception of my mother, is the only member of the Inner Circle who’s tried to do what’s in my best interest. If you’re asking if this is a ruse, I’ll tell you this much: I don’t want that damn bracelet on me. You use those things to imprison the Inner Circle and force them to your will without regard for anyone else.”

Several members of the High Council looked nervously at Edwin. His eyes narrowed, and he warned, “Those are dangerous accusations to be making.”

He was probably right, but after everything she’d been through over the last few days, Kayla wasn’t going to stand by and let some big shot Omni dictate to her. Someone needed to stand up to him. If this meeting was being broadcast throughout the towers, all the better. “Don’t piss me off, Edwin. I’m running out of places to put the bodies.”

“So this entire charade has been nothing more than an elaborate attempt to avoid doing your duty for the people of these towers? You don’t intend to allow Alec to claim you?”

Kayla glared at him. As far as she was concerned, it wasn’t any of his or the Council’s business who she slept with. Unfortunately, telling them that wouldn’t help get her out of the current situation.

“I’ve asked Alec to claim me twice, and he’s refused twice because he wants to make sure I fully understand what I’m asking.” There. That was honest and yet, in true ruin rat fashion, she’d dodged the question. Kayla tossed her hair back, not finished making her point.

“As far as the people in these towers are concerned, and for all the people who live outside of these towers, I’ve always been willing to help.” On her terms, but he didn’t need to know that. “I’ll do whatever is necessary to protect these people. But your methods suck ass, and forcing people to wear those stupid bracelets so you can get your little power trip is out of line.”

“Enough,” Edwin hissed, and the vein in his temple throbbed. “This is a public forum. Your accusations have no basis in fact.”

Seara stood, holding up her wrist to display the bracelet to the entire forum. She moved toward the front of the room and announced, “My name is Mistress Seara Rath’Varein, and my daughter is correct. For the past nine months, the Inner Circle has been imprisoned. What started as an attempt to locate resources for the people of this tower has turned into a power play by some of the members of the High Council, namely Edwin Tal’Vayr.”

The audience gasped in shock. Edwin reached into his pocket, fumbling for something. His head jerked when Seara didn’t react. “What’s wrong, Edwin? Your leash isn’t working?”

She turned back to the audience, gesturing to Kayla. “My daughter has discovered a way to remove these bracelets. Earlier today, my bracelet was deactivated. To my fellow Inner Circle members, if you stand with us now, your bracelets can also be removed. It’s time we returned to our old ways and use our skills collaboratively to locate new resources.”

Several members of the Inner Circle stood. A man called out, “Is it true, Seara? She can remove them?”

Seara nodded. “Yes, Fredo. Edwin Tal’Vayr no longer has the power to control me.”

As the din of voices in the audience grew louder and more agitated, Alec’s shoulders tensed, and he shot Kayla a worried look. “Connect with me now. This may get ugly.”

Kayla did as he asked and connected all of her threads of energy to Alec. He asked her to send a large stream of energy to him. She watched in amazement as he forged a powerful shield around them.

Edwin looked at Kayla in shock. “You deactivated the bracelet?”

“Yes, and I intend to deactivate all of the bracelets. No one should have that sort of power over another person. If the Inner Circle wants to use their talents to help the towers, they should be given the option. You have no right to make the decision for them.”

“I have every right as the leader of the High Council,” Edwin sneered. “And as for you, your appeal is denied. Take her into custody and have her equipped with a bracelet.”

Some of the other council members looked alarmed, shifting in their seats uncomfortably. Keith pushed up from his seat and held up his hand to stop the security officers from approaching. “Edwin, our laws clearly state we have to vote on whether or not the appeal is denied.”

“Forget it,” Edwin declared, banging his fist on the table. He turned to the rest of the Council members, some nodding at Keith’s objections while a few others seemed to support Edwin’s ruling. The remaining few looked apprehensive about the entire discussion but not willing to take a side yet. “This woman is a nuisance and threatens the towers. The bracelets were implemented to discover untapped resources. She’s threatening our existence with her claims and causing dissention amongst our people.”

Kayla blinked. She’d been blamed for a lot in her life, but this was a little much. Before she could formulate a reply, Seara spoke up on her behalf. “You’re wrong, Edwin. Your intentions may have been honorable in the beginning, but you’ve taken away our people’s free will. We should be given a choice about how our abilities are used. Kayla can help us correct the mistake.”

Edwin glanced at Kayla, and she felt a suffocating pulse of energy press against the wall of the shield. Her eyes widened. She’d known he might try something, but she never dreamed he’d attack her in front of the entire room.

Alec squeezed her hand, reminding her she wasn’t alone. “Keep the flow constant, if you can. We’ll need to maintain the shields. If he takes you out of the equation, he can bring the room back under his control.”

When the shield didn’t crumble, Edwin’s focus turned to Alec. Kayla had a sinking feeling in her stomach. Awareness and betrayal flickered in his eyes as his nostrils flared. He’d realized Alec was shielding her, and it only seemed to ignite his fury. Kayla flinched as another attack pulsed against the shield, stronger than the last. She gripped Alec’s hand tighter, increasing the energy flow she was sending him to reinforce the weaker areas of the shield.

Some of the other council members stood in concern, realizing what was transpiring. Keith turned to the Council leader. “Edwin, what are you doing? This isn’t how we handle things.”

Enraged, Edwin ignored him and reached into his pocket. Kayla looked at Alec, and he warned her, “He’s tapping into the pooled energy now.”

Kayla closed her eyes, gathering up the loose energy around her. She channeled it toward Alec and reached for more. Loose energy floated throughout the room. Kayla grabbed at it and pushed it toward Alec.

Someone cried out in the audience, but Kayla couldn’t stop to look behind her to see what was happening. Two of the Council members—a sharp-eyed, middle-aged woman and a younger man with a sculpted face—moved to stand next to Edwin and linked arms. The woman’s face was blank and emotionless as she whispered something and then placed her hand on Edwin’s shoulder.

The push on the shield became even more powerful, and Kayla felt Alec falter trying to maintain the defense even with the additional energy she supplied. Someone moved next to her, and she heard Seara’s soft voice telling her to take what she needed. A warm hand slipped into hers as a rush of cool energy passed through her.

Understanding what she offered, Kayla reached out and threaded Seara’s energy through to Alec. He wove it into the shield, struggling to keep it up against Edwin’s continued assault. It still wasn’t enough. Thinking quickly, Kayla moved her hand to Seara’s bracelet. Even though it was deactivated, it could still act as a link to the energy pool. If Edwin was going to use it against them, she might as well try to even the playing field.

Alec realized what she was doing. “Kayla, don’t. It’s too dangerous.”

“I can do this,” she replied, trying to project a confidence she didn’t quite feel. Edwin was too strong, and Alec couldn’t keep up his shield forever. She had to do something.

She followed the energy patterns back through the bracelet until she reached the energy pool. Energy swirled around her, and she felt the link to dozens of people who wore the bracelets. Edwin was burning through their energy at an alarming rate, and she had to act quickly.

Kayla followed the energy channels and found Edwin’s source. She gathered all the loose energy within the pool and directed it to the source. A brilliant white light flashed in her mind, and there was a deafening cracking noise.

Kayla staggered as Edwin’s source burst apart. Loose energy floated around her chaotically as her world turned dark.

1