Chapter 49
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kayla was floating in a nice, fluffy cloud of nothingness. Time seemed suspended as she drifted in this spatial existence. She was dimly aware her physical form existed outside of the nothingness, but the link no longer seemed as important. It was becoming more difficult to tell where she began and ended. In all honesty, she wasn’t sure she cared all that much.

A pleasant warmth teased the edge of her consciousness, bringing her back to a state of semi-awareness.

“That’s nice. I didn’t realize I was cold.”

“Kayla, you need to come back now. Follow the stream back.”

She recognized Alec’s demanding voice, but wasn’t sure she wanted to bother. Obeying his request seemed like more trouble than it was worth. She started to dismiss him, but a stronger pulse of energy washed over her, teasing and tempting as it flooded her senses.

Intrigued, Kayla basked in the promising flow of warm energy streaming over her. Wanting more, she instinctively returned a stream of energy in response.

“That’s right,” Alec encouraged gently.

She could feel him now, his thoughts and emotions growing more entwined with hers, but he was still too far away. Her stream of energy was clumsy and chaotic next to his, and she pulled back in frustration. She could sense him and wanted to merge their energies, but it was impossible to focus.

Kayla faltered, not knowing how to reach him. As though he sensed her despair, Alec’s energy magnified until it became a brilliant display, penetrating and filling her with light. The beguiling warmth of his energy evoked a longing within her, demanding a response.

Captivated by the raw display of power, Kayla’s stream of energy became more purposeful and she matched his intensity. She gathered all of the energy she was capable of holding and sent it toward him. When the two complete and intense energy forces collided, they blended and merged with one another.

Kayla watched in amazement as the darkness fell away. She was lost in a world of color and thought. She floated along Alec’s stream of energy and felt the love and desire emanating from him. For the first time in her life, she felt complete and total acceptance.

She mirrored his thoughts and feelings. Opening her eyes, Kayla looked up into his brilliant blue ones. The tenderness in his gaze wrapped around her like a cocoon, offering comfort and understanding. Alec stroked her face, and she leaned into him, inhaling his rich, seductive scent. She reached for him, needing his touch as if it were an anchor.

“Welcome back, my love.”

Kayla smiled up at him, tracing the contours of his face. The slight stubble of his jaw was rough against her fingers, and she marveled at the contrast of the softness of his mouth. She wanted to nibble along his jawline, tasting him until she reached his lips. Sensing her thoughts, his eyes dropped to her mouth, and she felt a sudden rush of desire from him. “This is what it feels like to have a complete connection?”

“Yes. It takes harnessing all of our energy to form the complete bond.”

Her fingers clutched his shirt, and she pulled him closer, wanting to feel the press of his skin against hers. “I want you to touch me.”

A look of regret crossed his face. “As do I, but our timing is bad. We’re in a room full of people. But as soon as we’re alone, you can explore all of these new feelings.”

“Make everyone go away.”

He raised an eyebrow. “We’re in the High Council room, dear. Do you remember what happened?”

Kayla frowned and looked around in confusion, trying to get a grip on her surroundings. Carl and Seara were both watching her anxiously. The room had mostly cleared out with only the remaining High Council and Inner Circle members who had been in attendance.

“I broke the bracelets,” she whispered and sat up.

“Yes,” Alec confirmed.

The security officials were removing Edwin and Keith’s bodies from the room, and her eyes widened. “What happened?”

Alec stood and helped her up. “My father killed Keith. He was also responsible for the deaths of several others, including your father and my mother.”

Kayla felt his agony as though it were her own and reached for him again. His hand threaded in her hair, and she felt his breath hitch. He pulled her close, wrapping his arms around her as she laid her head against his chest, offering solace.

There was a note of pity in Seara’s voice as she said, “I’m sorry, Carl.”

“I’m just glad she’s okay.”

Kayla turned at the sound of Carl’s voice. Her heart lurched at the defeated look on his face. She looked back and forth between the two men, feeling torn. She recognized she still had intense feelings for Carl, but the allure and power pulling her toward Alec was strangely irresistible.

“A claim doesn’t negate your feelings, Kayla,” Alec explained softly.

Marcus stepped over to them, clearing his throat to get their attention. “I’m sorry to interrupt, but we’re going to need all of you. We have quite a bit of damage control that needs to be done.”

Alec nodded, taking Kayla’s hand and leading the group back toward the platform where the High Council members were discussing how best to address the public. Kayla took a peek at Carl, wanting to go to him but not able to bear the thought of leaving Alec’s side while he needed her.

Marcus turned to Alec. “We’ve all spoken and come to a decision. You were to be appointed to the High Council within the next few weeks based on your mother’s family name. However, in the absence of a Tal’Vayr on the High Council, we offer you that position now.”

Alec nodded. “I accept.”

Marcus hesitated, glancing at some of the other members. “We no longer have a High Council leader. This position has always been held by either a Rath’Varein or a Tal’Vayr. Your families were the original founding members of OmniLab. It’s only suitable for one of you to accept this responsibility.”

Seara was quiet for a moment. “I have a suggestion.”

Marcus and the other High Council members looked at her expectantly. “The position should be divided. No one person should have that sort of control over us again. Instead, I suggest both Alec and myself share the position of High Council leader. When the time comes for me to step down, I will turn my position over to my daughter. They will lead jointly.”

Marcus looked at the other council members, who nodded in agreement. He turned to Alec. “Is this agreeable to you?”

Alec looked down at Kayla and raised an eyebrow questioningly. Her eyes were wide, and she thought toward him, “Oh, hell no. I’m still a ruin rat. I don’t have any desire to lead this group of numbnuts.”

“You saved this group of ‘numbnuts’ by deactivating those bracelets. But don’t worry. Your mother will lead until you’re ready.”

Giving her a reassuring squeeze, Alec turned back to Marcus. “Yes, I agree.”

Marcus looked relieved and announced loudly, “It’s official. Master Alec Tal’Vayr and Mistress Seara Rath’Varein will act as joint co-leaders of the High Council.”

Muted applause erupted throughout the room, and several people offered their thanks and congratulations to them. Alec plastered on a smile, but Kayla knew it was a façade. She’d worn one long enough to recognize it even without his emotions filtering through her. The whole ordeal was bittersweet.

Marcus said, “Unfortunately, we still have the trader announcement this evening. You’ll both be needed to make the announcement.”

Seara inclined her head. “We’ll be there.”

Alec indicated his agreement before adding, “If you’ll excuse me, though, I need to make arrangements for my father.”

Marcus looked at him with sympathy. “I know it was difficult, Alec, but you did the right thing.”

Alec managed a nod and then averted his gaze. He leaned close to Kayla. “Do you mind if we leave?”

She shook her head, putting her other hand on his arm. There weren’t enough prototypes in the world to tempt her into staying. “I’ve wanted to leave this place since the moment you brought me here.”

1