15. Slave Industry
520 6 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Marcus and if you’re interested, I will take care of this matter of cleanup.” Marcus smiled.

“What’s your aim.” I asked bluntly as this was the first time I came in contact with a slave trader and never had good opinions of them.

“All I want is some of your time, will you come with me?”

“Sure...” I nodded my head, no harm right. Marcus spoke non-stop after releasing a magic signaling beacon for his cleanup crew to erase all the evidence from earlier.

“I’ve noticed that you are most likely new to Avalon. I have information I can also share with you.” We headed towards his office and to my surprise, the location wasn’t a red-light district or some shady ghetto. The building was twenty stories, and all belonged to the slave trading company he worked for.

The lobby floor was sleek and polished with several counters and seating areas. Marcus escorted us to the 5th floor, into his office. Along the way, others politely greeted us, most of them I figured were slaves from their attire. The office was fairly spacious with his work desk and seats around a glass coffee table.

“As you can see our company is doing well, but competition is rough no matter what you’re selling here in Avalon.” Marcus spoke once Eris and I were both comfortable.

“I’m always on the lookout for potential customers. Hopefully, we can help each other out.” The moment he finished speaking, the door to his office opened with a woman serving a tray of beverages. Her delicate figure was alluring and looked to be no older than twenty. She offered a cute smile as she placed my drink in front of me, then served Eris and stepped to Marcus’s side.

I didn’t care much for her and focused my attention on Marcus. “Let’s get straight to the point. What is it you want exactly?” I kept my calm as I noticed Eris sitting closer than usual.

“Before that, tell me a little about yourself. Nothing major but mainly what it is you want to do in this city? I can already tell that you treat slaves well, judging from how you allow the one by your side to sit with you unchained.” Marcus questioned appropriately.

I glanced at Eris. “We came to Avalon for a fresh start. You followed us from that gym, so you already know I’m looking for a job. As you can see, I’m a no-mage. Are you offering a job position?”

“Sorry, Sir for the misunderstanding. We have no positions available for the time being, but I don’t let status impede work. In my eyes, you are someone with ability and drive that will take you a long way. I have faith things will work out for you.” After a brief pause of what felt like a practiced rejection he continued.

“Now that I understand your situation, there are some things I can recommend. As you said, I’ll get straight to the point. I’m selling slaves and you need a way to sustain your life.” I waited for him to continue to see how buying slaves could help my situation.

“Are you familiar with monster hunting? I’m not sure how much you know about this, but recently Avalon has been under increasing monster attacks, and a culling has been declared by the military. There are the military, Hunter Corps, and mercenary groups that engage and kill monsters.”

“And how exactly will obtaining slaves help with monster hunts?” The way he spoke felt like he was stringing me along.

“As a no-mage, you won’t be able to join one of those mentioned groups easily, thus my solution. Forming your own group using slaves purchased from our company. In the end, both of us would benefit.” Marcus finished with taking a sip of tea from his cup, resting it back onto his crossed over leg.

We were in agreement that nobody would want a no-mage in their group. I knew slaves upon purchase would be imprinted with a master-servant seal to prevent the betrayal of any kind. Though Eris may be the only exception. 

After considering my options I asked a couple of questions. “How much is it for the slave next to you?” My curiosity got the better of me.

“She’s one of our prized merchandise our branch has been raising from the age of five. Education and etiquette-wise she is no less than a cherished daughter of a noble’s household. Her background was exceptional, and a shame she ended up in slavery. We groomed her well, her focus is light magic, and she has a great foundation for any master to teach and mold her in the future.”

“How much...” I interrupted him seeing as how he wasn’t stopping anytime soon.

“Ahem..., Since you caught my attention, at a discounted price. Five million gold coins.” My eyes wandered all over the slave girl’s body as silence filled the room. “So, you showed me your best slave, knowing that I wouldn’t be able to afford her.” I thought about how much Eris went for with her abilities, it must’ve been an astronomical price!

“I’m merely showing you our worth. Like I said before, I have faith it won’t take you long before you’re able to purchase any and every slave of your desire, Sir.” Marcus spoke with confidence as he took another sip of tea.

I ignored his flattery and appraisal and continued asking. “How much is a slave that hasn’t been groomed by you guys? One that is more affordable?” I might as well have said what’s the price of your cheapest slave! It seemed like Marcus knew what I was trying to say.

“Average prices range anywhere from four hundred thousand to one million gold coins, however, it is all dependent on each individual slave.”

My head was reeling from the amount of money required. I always thought the handful of coins we had right now allowed for a carefree lifestyle, but I’m only considered lower than lower class in this city?

12