48. Return to Slavery
310 6 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Volatis, I’m surprised to see you again so soon. How may I help you?” Marcus bowed his head.

“I’ll be needing more slaves and some additional insight if you’re able to assist.” I watched as Marcus noticed Alexa behind me.

“Of course, Sir. You are always welcome here in our establishment.” Marcus guided us to his office suite.

There was an aroma of sweet tea being made as we got comfortable around a coffee table. This time a different stunning beauty was serving us tea. It’s obvious this was part of his strategy in promoting a sale. It seemed she was chosen as the next in line to be on display. I won’t deny that she grabbed an extra couple of glances, just as Alexa did the first time. I noticed something peculiar aside from her light blue eyes and hair. Her elongated ears, it was the first time I’ve seen an elf up close.

Elves didn’t generally live on our continent. So the few that were around relocated with a purpose in mind, usually revolving around money. This was proof that no matter the person not a single race stayed exempt from slavery. I could already see the premium that Marcus would try to sell me on, rambling about the rarity of elves.

“Rhea is from a family that ventured to our kingdom from Gardencia, travel by flight takes over many multiple stops and months. The reason why our elven population equates to a small minority group. As for the reason well..., I’m sure you can think of several.” Marcus paused when I made an audible sigh.

“What’s her price?...” I couldn’t believe he was most likely going to make another exaggerated sale again because of her. I’ll need to change tactics next time I come here to properly avoid the situation.

“We can talk about money later, first tell me your purpose of visit. You said there was also something you wanted to ask?” Maybe it was his salesman instinct that told him if he said her price that the mood would’ve been ruined.

“I need as many slaves I can purchase within my budget of twenty emerald coins and more if necessary. I’m not looking for the most expensive or highest quality you have available. I’m more interested in those that have promising talents that can be improved on.” I was upfront as possible regarding my budget since I didn’t want to waste time beating around the bush.

“You were the one that suggested I use slaves to achieve my goals. I plan on starting up a business and will need a constant source of slaves. What I need from you is absolute secrecy. I’m not asking for the impossible, but merely as much time as possible.” I didn’t want to set high expectations for a slave trader and I didn’t know how much I could really trust Marcus.

“What kind of business?” Marcus leaned over in interest.

“I will be creating a private dojo similar to Sage Kingdom, however focused on different activities ranging from monster hunts to bodyguard services.” Once we are ready to expand I’m planning to open a more public version of the dojo in the center of the city.”

“Are you asking for some type of partnership? What is your end goal in all of this?” Marcus settled back into his chair as if his expectations were disappointed.

I took a long pause before answering his questions. I wanted to live and not be in constant fear of reforcers or the nobility. This wasn’t only about me anymore.

“I need a safe place for those I care about and I also want them to be able to live happily. I know I’m asking for a lot, especially when we’ve only known each other for about a week. It was Alexa who said I could trust you and the only reason I’m being so straightforward with you.” I waited to see a reaction and continued after no signs of one other than a solid poker face.

“This is what I’m willing to place as collateral for more slaves.” I brought out a set of battle gear the same one as the three I handed Vera to auction.

“I am putting up three of the exact same battle sets as this one up for auction. With this money, I will carry out the initial steps for my plan. Their estimated value is a minimum of several ruby coins each.” Marcus shot up from his seat staring back and forth from the equipment and to the ring on my finger.

Judging from everyone’s reactions, the ring should definitely be hidden from the general public. I expected questions on how and where I got these items and was surprised to hear the contrary.

“First allow me to speak with Alexa. Would you step out so that we can have a chat?” Marcus gave solid eye contact when asking and I turned to Alexa to find her head nodding in agreement. Once she gave me her answer I placed the equipment back into the ring before stepping outside with Rhea.

Alexa told me about how she was practically raised by Marcus as his own daughter. I found it odd that a slave trader would allow himself to get emotionally attached to someone he was trying to sell. Though for that very reason I was willing to open up to him. Questions of what they may be talking about arose in my mind and some of them were based on paranoia. I’d have to ask Alexa if it is something she would be willing to share with me later on. I was set on not forcing them to do anything against their will unless there was no other choice.

Lost in my thoughts I realized Rhea was standing quietly next to me. Marcus had her in a low v-neck, exposing her firm yet full cleavage. She looked to be around Alexa’s age but I knew elves had longer lifespans and aged physically different compared to humans. Now that I noticed her by my side, the silence made things awkward. I wanted to ask a question and didn’t really know if it would be answered truthfully or not.

“Is it painful living here as a slave, do you wish you could escape?” She was slightly tanner than Alexa’s snowy white skin with hair half the length resting on her back.

“Living here as a slave has been a blessing than living on the streets doing menial labor and begging for money. I do not want to go back to how I lived before, many are not welcoming to our kind.” Everyone had their own set of circumstances and it was pleasing to hear that Marcus treated her well. She took my silence as a sign to continue talking.

“I was glad it was Marcus that picked me up and not another slave trader. His company treats us many times better than competitors. My only worry is my buyer. It is something I do not have control over.” It seemed like she forced herself to stop talking afraid she may have overstepped on answering my questions.

“Let me ask you then since you heard everything I spoke about with Marcus. Would you like to join us and be willing to care for one another as family?” Instead of asking if she wanted to be bought, I asked her if she wanted to come with us.

“I grew up here, together with Alexa. You take care of her very well and give her freedom of choice. This is rare to see from an owner. I would not want to be purchased by anyone else. Please, take me with you.” Rhea placed both her hands onto mine.

“I already planned to take you away from here the moment you served us tea. You only had to say, yes. Just know, it will be physically tiring and I expect the best from you.” Rhea’s excitement turned into an embracing hug.

Marcus opened his office door and noticed the blushing Rhea pull away from her hug. “Ah, all finished?” I turned to Marcus with my best straight face.

“We are, but do the two of you need some more time?” Marcus finally seemed to be warming up.

“Just getting to know her, I hope the talk with Alexa was promising.” I attempted to change the subject as we walked back into his office.

“Alexa provided details involving your dojo plan. I’m willing to accept the collateral as purchasing power until payment is given. I’ll round up everyone fitting your needs and I’d say not to worry too much about the cost at this point.” Marcus got straight into business and I had to ask one more question.

“Why are you willing to help us?”

“It’s like you can see. Alexa is the closest I have to a daughter and not just her, but I’ve grown an attachment to a majority of the slaves brought in. If you are out to achieve what I believe you are trying to do, then you have my support all the way.” Marcus said so as if we had some silent agreement on the matter.

Thank you, patrons: Ajesco

Also just a heads up you can read 1 chapter ahead on my Patreon for free. It will be released to the public as soon as a new chapter drops on this site. To make it easier to find, just filter posts to "Public".

7