60. Official
160 4 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It wasn’t until we were far enough away that I felt comfortable greeting Mia. She apologized for being late and asked if everything was okay. I didn’t want to talk about anything in detail until we arrived home, so I invited her over.

“I brought my bike along with the boxes of MRE’s that you wanted. I think we should all be able to fit.”  Mia offered a ride for the both of us.

I was wondering how all of us would be able to ride on a bicycle loaded with several boxes full of MREs. Though that all changed when it came into sight. I forgot military privileges allowed access to advanced tech. It was more than big enough for the three of us and she had chosen a customized racing model. 

The bike had a center cube that looked awfully similar to the larger storage containers the military were lugging around in the mountains. My guess is she stored the MREs and anything else she needed inside.

“I’m surprised you got it in all black.” I was awestruck and wanted one as well.

“I went through so much trouble getting all the specs I wanted. They didn’t let me have it in any other color than dull black!” Mia became very animated over the fact.

“Hop on you two. I’ll upload the destination into the helmet’s GPS.” Mia swung her leg over and handed us two spare helmets to wear. The purring of the engine made it feel alive to the touch.

Mia swerved around cars speeding like a bullet. I felt Eris’s arms around my body grab on tighter as Mia’s barely dodged an oncoming beast drawn carriage. This was one of the strangest fears for her to have, being near-immortal and all. 

It took us half an hour to reach Pizzahunt and based on the GPS she linked to our helmets the duration of the trip was the same. An amazing feat when compared to the insanely fast speeds of the bullet train.

“Volatis, there’s a suspicious car parked outside the warehouse entrance.” Alexa contacted me through the ring as we were almost five minutes out. She said the car had been there for several minutes now and no one has gotten out of it. No one dared approach it before getting a hold of me since vehicles usually meant someone important or involved government affiliation.

“I’ll be there soon. Have everyone stay inside for now if possible.” I cut the connection and tapped Mia’s side and spoke to her through the helmet to go faster.

Large speckless chrome wheels attached to the frame of a larger-sized sedan. It had a boxy feel to it and came in all black. Everything from the polish and windows created a mirror effect. We had no idea who was inside until the front driver-side door pulsed open. His muscles bulged against his all black suit. The driver opened the passenger door, standing at the ready.

The skinny legs of a child in shorts propped out. He had to have the help of his driver to step down properly from the car. If I had to guess he looked to be only seven or eight years old.

“Hello Volatis, or rather no-mage from Illnor.” The voice of the blonde child carried a sense of calm.

“Who are you?” My entire body tensed up as I tried my best to act though failed miserably.

“I’m your first client. Will you help me?” The boy acted like I had a choice in the matter.

“Let’s talk inside then.” I spoke through clenched teeth as I guided him to a seat inside.

His driver stayed by the car and only the kid entered alone. He was dressed in a preppy school kid attire with short wavy blonde hair. His mannerisms and speech were nothing like a child's.

Just as someone was handing out refreshments one of the girls yelled out how cute the little boy was and approached to ruffle his hair. The entire open area seating was silent as everyone watched this oblivious girl act out. I cleared my throat and glared at her. “Get out of here, now.” I tried my best to change my shout to a gentle command by easing my tone and adding a please at the end.

“Oh, don’t give her such a hard time. She’s simply stating facts.” The kid enjoyed the attention and waved goodbye to the silly girl.

“Do I have the pleasure of a name before we discuss matters?” I wasn’t sure if I should attack or hear him out.

“People know me as the Official, but you can call me Ethan.” Eris grabbed my hand and squeezed tightly. This action didn’t escape his eyes either.

“It looks like that girl over there has heard of the title. Impressive.” Ethan crossed a leg over the other as he got comfy.

“How do you know about me?” No point keeping up an act with him.

“Let’s just say Avalon belongs to me.” He said it so nonchalantly.

“What can I do that others can’t, and why would I help you?”

“Enough with the stupid questions, kid.” Ethan continued to explain the situation. “You were last seen falling to your death in the mountain caverns and ended up surviving. I have a hunch you will be able to find the Aurisavem.”

I wasn’t annoyed by him calling me a kid since I didn’t see him as one.

“I don’t even know what that is.” I wasn’t able to finish before Ethan finished his glass of orange juice and stood up.

“Don’t worry I’ll have someone send all the info to your assistant Alexa over there.” Ethan started to walk away and left with a farewell warning. “Remember, that I’m granting you sanctuary in Avalon. I can freely take away all your precious possessions.” Ethan said as he glanced over at several bystanders.

Thank you, patrons: Ajesco

Finally the introduction of an actual antagonist! lol... Also, sorry no extra chapter this week. I've been working on major edits to the first 10 chapters of Eidolon Rebirth and finishing up chapter 1 of my new story that still needs a title. I'm bad when it comes to Titles. Anyways, hope you all are enjoying!

You may read 1 chapter ahead on my Patreon for free. It will be released to the public as soon as a new chapter drops on this site. To make it easier to find, just filter posts to "Public".

7