61. Change of Plans
137 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eris decided it was time to open up. We took the elevator to our rooms to get some privacy. She went over her knowledge of officials first. From what she knew officials were granted land to rule by nobles. They were chosen as a reward for aiding in the groundwork of society in some way. Normally officials had the strength equivalent to a reforcer.

I stopped her there before she could start confusing me. “Eris, how do you know all of this?... We’re in this together now.” I wanted her trust.

She held silence and leaned back to rest her head against the chair. I received a full dive into her past from the very moment she remembered memories from her other lives. She was raised as a slave from a very early age and didn’t remember her birth parents. It wasn’t until the age of six that the memories flooded her dreams and daily life. 

Even to this day they keep expanding her knowledge and said that the process would last until she reached eighteen years old. That was roughly the age when rebirthers stopped growing in power and the memories stopped altogether. It seemed like the percentage recalled correlated directly with the accumulation of magic power infused into the body.

With the fear of catching the eye of reforcers and the nobles, she stayed hidden under the guise of slavery. She mentioned how she secretly killed every previous slave owner until the last one enacted a death seal. Regardless of the reason, if the master died so would the slave. She knew that her magic would outgrow the slave seal’s magic eventually and played nice. They were together for three years until I killed him.

“I’m sorry you had to go through that kind of horrible childhood.” Eris in all senses had it worse than I did. At least I had my uncle who cared for me.

“We don’t have time to be sorry. That official will only grow stronger each day.” Eris stopped after finding an issue. “If he disappears it will grab the attention of the nobles and reforcers. He is the lesser of evils.” Eris thought openly not really sure what to do.

“Well, we know it's only a matter of time until a reforcer shows up to find us. The only thing we can do is obtain more power if we want to keep living.” There were problems stacking on top of each other and it was no use stressing over them.

“Then what do you plan?” Eris shook her head in frustration.

“We find out why this Aurisavem is so important to him and see if we can use it to our advantage.” I tried thinking of Ethan’s motives. He had everything anyone could ever hope to obtain. What more was there?

“Oh, crap. Mia!” I completely forgot about leaving Mia downstairs after all that occurred. Eris did too and got up to follow me back down. There would be time later to talk more in-depth about everything.

“Where’s Mia.” I asked Alexa via ring while inside the elevator. Apparently, Alexa was keeping her company and I let her know I’d be there shortly.

“Sorry for that, Mia.” I thanked Alexa after apologizing to Mia.

“No biggie. That Ethan kid must be rebirther like you.” Mia still thought I was a rebirther even though I told her I wasn’t one.

“He controls the military. Most likely the reason I was not arrested on-site and how he knew about my identity.” I couldn’t trust anyone in the military and that included Mia regardless of her intentions.

“Mia this is as far as we get involved with each other. I can’t risk interacting with you any further for everyone’s safety.” I thought she could be an internal spy for me, but it would double as a way to keep tabs on me too. I stopped her from responding and lifted up my hand.

“Link your comms to my ring. Reach out only if it's an emergency.” Mia tapped it with her smartwatch.

“Yeah, okay.” Mia’s voice held a sense of defeat as she turned to leave.

Alexa contacted me again and said the information of the Aurisavem arrived by courier. She passed on the package to someone else to hand over. Opening it revealed a small button-sized device. I pressed what looked to be a button on it. 

A holographic image projected in front of us, displaying an animated scene of the Aurisavem. It was an ice attribute bird-type beast though the details listed it, as not yet being born. That the concentration of beasts suggested to its approaching arrival and hatching into the world.

There wasn’t any relevant information other than physical characteristics that helped figured out why it was so important to him. I sat down to sort out an ever-changing game plan, to resolve our problems. Alexa chimed in a third time. Her voice was lovely to hear, but the direct telepathy got on my nerves. I did my best not to respond with an annoyed, ‘What?’.

“There’s someone at the entrance asking to speak with you. He says his name is Seric.”

“Huh, who’s that?... Let him in.” The name sounded familiar and took a little to recall correctly. It was the name of that boy we saved during the incident at Sage Kingdom.

Thank you, patrons: Ajesco

You may read 1 chapter ahead on my Patreon for free. It will be released to the public as soon as a new chapter drops on this site. To make it easier to find, just filter posts to "Public".

4