C3. no man’s land and past
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
sorry for the late update i just got myself metro exodus and dyson sphere program and the two have me hooked, and beware this chapter is about triple in amount of word compared to the last chapter... enjoy !

When I woke up I got out of the sleeping bag and stretched myself and checked my surroundings I noted that Weiss was in her sleeping bag

  • “Guess that she needed the sleep after all” … (Alex)

As I got off the back of the truck I heard sound from behind me so as I look back I see her sort of stretching herself I smiled and said.

  • Did you have a good sleep? (Alex)
  • Yes, as good as you can get in a mechanical body with a synthetic skin cover… thanks for asking - (Weiss)
  • Yea don’t know the feeling, in any case we should get going, we need to cross to the irradiated zone to continue south but will need some resources especially for me ill food and water… unless you can also consume them to refill yourself too? (Alex)
  • As a matter of fact, I have that capability too … but you are right we have at most 2 to 3 days’ worth of the supplies I took from the emergency rations of the armory… at the very least if we find some nomads or some friendly scavengers we can change some ammo or guns for supplies if not we can visit some of the settlements that hare in the map by the road or we can investigate these marked places - (Weiss)
  • Works for me (Alex)

She walks toward the truck and then throws me a bottle of water and a nutritional bar

  • eat so that we can get going… and get in your suit, unless you want to have some extra parts appear from somewhere, ill pack everything - (Weiss)
  • yea, yea… hu… honey flavor… not my favorite, but I’ll do

as I had the nutritional bar I got into the suit I check the remaining battery

  • remaining battery 78% hee...e… did you bring spare batteries or a charger or something?
  • Only one battery the rest are smithereens… but I have a charger that can connect to you suit and recharge it whit my reactor that why I took it - (Weiss)
  • That’s … nice but will you be alright?
  • I have enough fuel cells to last a year and my reactor produces 5KW/h at its 50%, it should be fine… that battery can last up to a half a day in full use, and the use we will give it should last more than 2 days per charge… here, you should have it, in case the battery runs low and I am not around - (Weiss)

As she said that she handed me the battery that was not bigger than the 18650 lithium batteries of old

  • You ready? … let’s get going, you go on the passenger seat, I will be driving be sure to get yourself a pistol so that I can have my gun back, and a rifle to in case we find some mutants. - (Weiss)
  • Got it (Alex)

I gave the gun back and opened the weapon bag there was 5 snipers rifles, 3 shotguns and 6 pistols all with enough ammo to last a wile I took a pistol a standard issue MHP 2045 it can shoot 2 round burst and it has 14 rounds plus the one in the chamber of .45 ACP and two empty mags and a box of ammo to load while on the road, the rifle another standard issue MK21 DMR and a build in 2x-16x variable optical sight, it has 20 rounds of 7.62mm Otan and as like the pistol I took two mags and a box of ammo, I closed the bag and enter the passenger seat in the front putting the pistol in the holster of my suit and the rifle on top of the dashboard and started loading the bullets into the mags.

  • Let’s get going. - (Weiss)

As I said that she started the engine and we headed into the radiation barrier


An hour after Alex and Weiss went into the unknown of the irradiated world, in the remains of the camp appeared 4 vehicles that where opened top and full of geared soldiers after stopping close to the remains of the campfire the soldiers got down and made a sweep of the area finding the tire tracks that headed toward the radiation barrier

  • /by radio/ Sir, they it appears that they went into the irradiated zone, should we pursue? over
  • /by radio/ negative, you are not equipped, no need for your team to risk it, if the radiation doesn’t kill them the mutants or the lack of food will, head back to base to finish with the rest of the inmates, will send out search party’s for the droid, over and out
  • /by radio/ roger that sir, heading back now, ETA 45 minutes’ out.

 After a 4 or 5 hours after we got into the radiation zone we were in what remained of the highway, it was full of holes everywhere ad destroyed old trucks and cars but it was to be expected, war and no reparations do this kinds of things, that and only using air corridors for pretty much everything, after all that way the radiation contamination and chemicals don’t get into the cargo or the people, after finishing with the mags of the weapons I asked:

  • so what is the route will be taking? (Alex)
  • Will go south through this highway then will head southwest to get close to the coast from there we will head south following the coast… will pass close to some of the marked places but… if the streets are this damaged all the way then it will take about 6 or 7 days at minimum - (Weiss)
  • 7 days… (Alex)
  • Yea that’s our major problem you will eat all of the food before we get there… either that or we go empty on fuel… - (Weiss)
  • Is there any city or someone along the way that can give us a hand? (Alex)
  • Give us a hand for free doubt it, but, if we can trade or do odd jobs, we should be fine… - (Weiss)
  • Odd jobs? (Alex)
  • Yea you would be surprised by the amount of people living in low radiation places that need some help - (Weiss)
  • I guess, good thing that my father taught me a lot about engineering, programing and other good stuff, same with my mother and grandparents and uncles, they were good people but one by one they disappeared last few ones where my father and mother that died in an accident and the last was my grandparents that disappeared of the radar some months ago. (Alex)
  • At least by your radar… last time I met grandpa was 5 months ago. - (Weiss)
  • 5 months… you know where he might be? (Alex)
  • I don’t the place he is now; last place I know he was… I believe that was in a bio engendering research facility in the middle of what was Germany… - (Weiss)
  • Haaa… Germany… (Alex)
  • Will need a plane to get there either that or a boat but we will be exposed to the irradiated surface water - (Weiss)
  • I’d… prefer a plane (Alex)
  • Yea… me too - (Weiss)
  • But one step at the time… for now… your home then we can think of something. (Alex)

I saw that we were close to some tall and destroyed buildings so I moved my head towards the rear view screen camera and saw a shadow not too far behind

  • If we get there in the first place…we might have company…
  • Can you see what is following us? - (Weiss)
  • No, too much distortion in the camera due radiation, I’ll open the roof panel and see through the scope (Alex)
  • I’ll keep it as stable as I can - (Weiss)

I opened the panel and aimed the rifle back, as I looked through the scope I saw a rather big moving silhouette behind us some distance away

  • I don’t know what it is, but it’s better to hide for a while, doubt that this rifle can do something (Alex)
  • We are close to some buildings we can rest and investigate the place for a bit - (Weiss)
  • Fine by me (Alex)

I closed the roof panel and seated again while we headed to an open garage door of an abandoned two stories house, once inside I got out of the tuck and run towards the garage door and slam it

  • We should be safe for now - (Weiss)
  • Do you know where we are now (Alex)
  • According to the map… we should be close to one of the marked places - (Weiss)
  • At the very least we will have something to do… how far is it? (Alex)
  • About 5 to 6 blocks away will have to pass though some ruble to get there - (Weiss)
  • Let’s see if we can find something of use in here before we go (Alex)
  • Ok you do that, I’ll check the second floor and watch our surroundings u do the same in the first - (Weiss)

Saying that she headed towards the second floor while I check the first floor, while I was looking through wat remained of the drawers most of them had just remains of paper, wood and some ceramics and metals that were pretty much destroyed or too rusted to be of use so I started looking into the shelves and found a metal box that had a rusted lock that broke after a bit of force inside I found and old book that although destroyed it still was mostly readable and what was inside was a diary that the oldest date was from 2058 some 149 years ago

 

 

 

(in Spanish)

12/7/2058

My dad came back home from work he seem worried, but he said that it was nothing and that my birthday that was in 2 days was all that he cared for now because I was his most important “priority” I was happy but I still was worried about what was wrong.

14/7/2058

Finally, it’s my 15th birthday, my dad promised me that will go to the roller coaster today, I am so exited … > unreadable <… after the ride my dad looked at me and told me that i was now old enough to know, “things might get bad from now on” he said, I asked if he was good with his job, he said that it was still fine but that the situation in the world was getting worse and that was very little that he could do and that he just wanted to protect me because he loved me and that I am the living image of my long deceased mother > unreadable <…

15/9/2058

I have been not able to write that much in my diary as of late… my dad has been building a bunker behind the stairs to… protect us he said… but protect us from what? I wonder something must be happening in other parts of the world that my father can't cope with but there is little that I can do and I feel bad because of that > unreadable <

28/9/2058

The bunker is complete … I don’t know how to feel about it but I suppose that has my father put it now we have a plan b in case something really bad happens and told me to go and hide in there if he didn’t return sometime for a long time or that something bad happened and that the instructions where inside a metal box in a table in the middle, he told me he forced me to swear that if anything happens that I would head there > unreadable <….

 

3/10/2058

12:58 I just woke up > unreadable < and the people in the streets is going nuts I don’t know why odd… so I turned on the TV “war has been declared between Russia the united states and china” was written on the screen I started to worry and remembered that my father was worried a month ago, all makes sense now… the… > unreadable <… after my thoughts I got my phone and called my dad, he answered almost immediately and told me to prepare I wanted to ask how he was doing but he didn’t give me the chance and just said “I love you” then I heard a really loud explosion  in the direction of his job, I even saw through the window some smoke rising towards the sky … > unreadable < … with much grief in my heart I opened the bunker door and headed inside there was the box my dad mentioned after I opened I found what look like a list and a letter I read the letter first -“dear daughter if you are reading this it means that the 1 or more of the worst outcomes that could have happened occurred… I never wanted to leave you alone but, you’ll have to be strong because you’d be alone now, I know it will be hard but I believe in you, I taught you many things so I know that you can come with something to keep going, now in the bunker there are 2 pods one is yours, these slow down your metabolism putting you in a suspended state these will let you live about 50 years and you’ll only will age about 5 years, it will allow you to survive the conflict that is occurring outside there is also food, equipment, weapons, books, and miscellaneous resources scatted in sealed boxes along the bunker that you can use after you wake up, the list that is in the box will tell you the steps you’ll have to do to get the pod started … with love your dad…”-

… stupid… dad… I prepared myself and the machine, I don’t know if I’ll ever wake up but, for my loving dad and long lost mother I’ll live on… > unreadable < …

 ¿? /¿? /2108?

 

I don’t know the date I expect it to be 50 years in the future, i woke up and almost fell from the vertical pod but thanks to the closed canopy that I am good but I’s weird to suddenly be taller I’ll get used to this body first then ill head out > unreadable < …

¿? /¿? /2108? day 4

I have gotten used to my “new” body I am bored as hell but there is nothing much that I can do about it but I found the books there are mostly about survival in different types of environments but they are quite fun to read so that helps I also found some satellite images of the world from 2065 and it is really bad everything is destroyed or with rather big craters… > unreadable < …

¿? /¿? /2108? Day 30

> unreadable < … after I found my weapons and equipment I finally got out of the bunker then out of my former house and my Geiger counter went nuts after that I knew that the world was destroyed but I figured that there would be something nice to be found somewhere out there, I didn’t have to look very far too, 2 people were walking down the road with guns in hand so I took cover and waited so that they had nowhere to hide and showed up asking them who they were … it ended up in a firefight I won without a scratch somehow… one of them was killed and the other was incapacitated so I took the live one towards my home to get info > unreadable < …

11/6/2108

The guy ended up dying not that I feel bad for him he was a bandit apparently but he had some nice info like the date and positions for the new major settlements some more, prime info, also were his friends were and his and his friends transport, I still have food and resources left in the bunker but I want to go to one of these new settlements one is close after all

13/6/2108

My preparations are ready I will leave these book behind in the very same box that my father left me his last letter… for the next person that cares, I don’t know who you are … but good luck and after this page there is the codes and of the location of the bunker entrance door inside there are still some guns, ammo and resources for anyone that needs them I hope that you can put them to good use, I will head south towards Chile, I bid farewell my unknown friend may we find somewhere in the way towards our future signed –Elizabeth-

  • Elizabeth… (Alex)

As I was thinking about that names I was thinking about that name 

  • Hey did you found anything of use? - (Weiss)

Said Weiss as she came down the stairs

  • I take it that the coast is clear for now? (Alex)
  • Yea, and did you find anything useful? I just found this old recurved skeletonized one edge sword but the handle and the scabbard where busted but the sword is in relatively good shape - (Weiss)
  • I believe so… follow me… -(Alex)
so... here i was thinking about some things and realized that the way i have my story world explanation are at an absolute minimum so for the ones that are reading (thanks by the way) do you want some extra chapters in between that explain in a lore friendly way the world? said that, here is a poll

lore friendly world extra chapter
  • yes Votes: 1 100.0%
  • no Votes: 0 0.0%
  • added in between chapters Votes: 0 0.0%
  • give the characters some cookies (also yes) Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 1
0