Arc 0 Part 10
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Callan POV

It was a interesting encounter, that girl...She can't be a team leader, too much concern for his dear ones but she'll do fine as a second in command being able to measure the enemy strength and helping the leader with her advice. Her fighting skill can be said to be on the top 3 of the class, she also seems to be quite a capable sniper. 

Her brother is physically stronger, sadly much less skilled and too emotional. He could be the doom of a squad if he can't follow orders. I'll be taking extra time to tame him into a soldier.

While thinking about my first impressions I realized that I didn't fulfill my original objective of asking for directions so...I was still lost. Nevermind, I already saw most of the facilities. I don't mind a bit of senseless walking. Of course, this is not an excuse to comfort myself. 

It was time to start planning how should I deal with those kids. I already got several ideas but to carry them out I might need a hand. Taking out my phone I dialed a number with a smile, this is were everything will start.

 


 POV change: character: The woman that appear at chapter Arc 0 Part 2


 

I was completely focused in the documents before me when an alarm sounded. I shifted my tired eyes to the alarm. 

"3:00 AM. Is already that late?" I've been working for more than 18 hours without rest still I didn't felt physically tired at all, been a valkyrie has its perks. Although I wasn't physically affected it wasn't quite the same for my mind. After the higher-ups ordered the siege of the nest my work has been piling up even if I work without rest is still increasing and it has only begun, when Callan starts training the students it will become even worse, but yet, this is the burden I've to shoulder as Callan has to train those kids and send them to a certain death.

Thinking about that I made him do my expression turned grim.I have known him for years, since the time when we were only common foot-soldiers, he was my squad captain. My first impression of him was ``what a silly man``. Always with a smile plastered in the face even in the middle of  the battle, he was always calm and gentle. It wasn't a surprised that he became our moral support.

Of course, he was also strong, really strong. I can't even start to remember how many times we were saved by him, both physically and mentally. Amidst the ravages of war, his reliable back leading us into battle and his gentle smile was our only respite. It wasn't long before I fell in love with him. 

It was really funny seeing his reaction when I confessed. He did felt the same for me. We both loved each other. It seems like the start of a beautiful romance story, but it's not. We were and are soldiers. 

How can we start a relationship without knowing if the other will die next day in the battlefield?

Fortunately, we didn't, even after more than 24 years of fighting we are still alive but I can't say the same for those on our squad that died one after another. Then I was selected for the Valkyrie project and he was sent to the first siege of Neighar. It wasn't until that battle that he really changed into another different person, a much more gloomier one. 

I don't really know when he did change if it was after that battle of because he was also chosen for the Legion Project. After all, I was a Valkyrie and had to train for years while he became one of the most proficient high-tier nhoma killing machine of humankind. When I could finally meet him again he was already becoming apathetic. 

This time I wanted him to train those kids not only to improve their survival rate but also hoping for a change. I know is my own whimsical thinking that he would somehow become a bit more like he used to be...

Sigh.

If by any chance he get attached to them and they die...I can clearly see how it will have the opposite effect to what I want.

"I'll save you..." I spurted these words as if it would change anything. Void words without actions won't have any meaning, that's why I'll work even harder to be sent to that operation. I as one of the sixteen ``Great Valkyries`` wasn't mean to be sent there. In fact, I was supposed to select a squad of six valkyries to support the main army in this battle, however, if I made good use of some ``friends`` it should be doable to become the captain of said squad.

If I achieve that then I'll be able to ensure the kids safety at least to some extent. I knew how selfish I was but I already made my resolution. He saved me in the past and I'll do the same for him no matter the cost. 

As always very late. I apologize. While I want to abide to my own schedule but things are getting harder and harder at work. Currently I'm a junior dev (a coder) and I'm still learning a lot of things so is a bit harder to cope with work also I have to move to a new house...so It's a bit hard to have time to write really. That's why I'm not gonna promise again chapters. I'll keep writing. I'll try to do longer chapters but until I more or less have a stable schedule I won't know when I can start releasing every week/8-10 days. Again, I'm sorry. 

0