Chapter 7 |Day of The Awakening|
200 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Lien Hua woke up that morning, she didn't remember much of the dream she had had that night. She only remembered a pair of eyes so huge and luminescent that they looked like two white suns. Lien Hua seemed to have forgotten something important about that dream, but she soon forgot this feeling and immediately her whole body and mind were filled with excitement.

Today was the day that she had waited for since she came to know of the awakening when she was still yet 5 years old. She could not wait to see her martial spirit. 'Who knows what it will be,' Lien Hua thought to herself.

Lien Hua woke up very early that morning and the sun was only now getting up behind the mountains. Seeing this, she got up and dressed calmly. Old Li had told her that a disciple would accompany her to the awakening altar where an Elder would then awaken her as soon as the ceremony was ready.

After Lien Hua calmed down, not even ten minutes later someone knocked on the door. Like a rope just cut, Lien Hua jumped on her feet from her bed and ran to the door, opening it with a bang.

Seeing that in front of her stood a disciple of the sect with his hand still raised, she got a little embarrassed, but quickly that embarrassment turned into adrenaline thinking about what was about to happen.

The disciple who opened the door was adorned in a white uniform with embroidery in blue; the whole was supported by a white belt with blue embroidery around the disciple's stomach.

This guy had fiery red long hair running down to the middle of his back and orange eyes that flashed with sharpness, with a chiselled jaw and standing at 1.80 meters (6 feet) tall, everything about him beamed severity and a fiery temperament which gave the impression that as soon as you disturb him, you're likely to get burned.

A little embarrassed, Lien Hua looked down, thinking of her internal age and how she had reacted so childishly, she was too cringe.

As soon as the boy saw the little girl looking down, thinking she was intimidated, he tried to make a funny face, but he could not. "Don't be so intimidated. If you were scared, I completely apologize. I didn't mean to do it, it's just that I was born with this face," He told her. Touching his face, he tried to make himself look less severe. Seeing him doing something like this Lien Hua could only burst into laughter.

'I don't understand why he did that, but I can only think of it as a misunderstanding on his part,' thought Lien Hua, and cleared the misunderstanding, "Don't worry Older Sect Brother I wasn't scared.'' With a little smile Lien Hua continued, "So can we go now?"

A bit surprised by the change of mood from the girl, the boy said, "Sure, we can go now. Follow me." And so they walked towards the stairs that led to the city. Lien Hua was very curious; it was the first time she'd come down those stairs that she'd seen far away every time she'd gone to her little garden ever since she'd woken up in that house as an infant.

Now that she could move around and see the sect, following the boy who she discovered on the trip was called Shi Tian, she was delighted and incredulous that such a landscape had been hidden from her eyes. Coming down the stairs leading to the city, she could only admire how much bigger it was than she originally thought.

Lien Hua, quite curious, could not wait to explore all of the Sect from head to toe and especially could not wait to explore the whole world. Because in the end, why would she want to be locked up for life when there was a world so big to explore at her disposal?

Throughout the city full of disciples who lived their lives, Lien Hua was fascinated by how even if everything was so full of chaos, one could find a certain harmony in the middle of it.

After a few minutes of walking, she could see many children moving with them as they found themselves in front of a square with a gigantic building in the middle, with imposing steps in front of it.

Lien Hua thought, 'Looks like a cathedral from my old world, but this building is round and has a giant dome with a small raised part with many romanesque pillars, kind of like the Parthenon.'

As she continued heading toward the structure, she noticed more details such as the building being surrounded by a pair of large steps and at the top of the steps, there was a giant door. All of it, including the door, was bright white marble.

Shi Tian lead Lien Hua to the front of the door and with a silent "Good luck", turned around and left.

Lien Hua, now without her guide, knew what to do, and began to move, seeing many other children like her approaching the marble doors, when suddenly the doors opened and icy air came out of it. Shaking a bit, Lien Hua steadied herself and pressed onward.

As soon as she entered the place, the cold that she expected was instead, replaced by warmth. Walking into the deserted hall, the echo of her footsteps with the others that slammed against the white marble floor was very loud.

Lien Hua looked up and saw that right in the middle of the dome was a hole that brought in a ray of sun and illuminated the centre of the room where an altar was raised from the rest of the floor.

Just before that high altar stood a much older man than was common in the sect, his hair were as white as snow, and they reached his feet, a long beard that reached his knees adorned his mouth, his eyes were hidden behind wrinkles; his back was hunched, but even so, he was much taller than even the boy who took her here.

He looked frail and he seemed as if he might crumble at any moment. He carried a very long stick that ended with a curve on the side of the handle. He was wearing a long white uniform with jade embroidery. A lotus flower-adorned his chest, and above, there was a silver three-leafed lotus flower.

As soon as Lien Hua positioned herself in the long line that began in front of the elder, she began to look for her two friends as her eyes panned to a pair of kids in the kaleidoscope of colourful hair and faces that had congregated ahead of her.

Noticing that her two friends had also found her, she raised her hand to say good morning, which was reciprocated by the two of them and they immediately turned their attention back to the older man.

Seeing that all the children had arrived, the old man raised his staff and said, "Very well. Since you have all arrived, let us begin the ceremony. I'm the Seventh Elder and good morning to everyone. Now let's begin with the first child, shall we?"

The first person in the group was a very short boy with very short purple hair covering his eyes, who, feeling intimidated, began to walk semi-quickly up to the altar without ever raising his head and sat cross-legged, and having a timid voice, he spoke:

''W-we c-can st-start s- S-Seventh Elder.''

With a nod, the older man began, and in the blink of an eye, the room had begun to light up by a powerful light emanating from the Second Elder.

If before he had looked like an old man who was dying, he had changed, now standing with his back straight with his cane held high in his hand, he uttered in a profound voice, "Awake."

With that word, 4 big rings rose from his body and began to orbit around the older man from right to left, from the lighter to the darker colour. The first was white, the second yellow, the third was a mixture of yellow and purple, and the fourth was purple. After the release of these brilliant rings, each with different details, the room was filled with a gigantic pressure that made everyone fall on their knees. The whole structure began to shake by the pressure that emanated through those four rings. Seeing the children bent down on their knees, the older man immediately made this pressure disappear, and everything returned to normal.

Lien Hua had the biggest scare of her life, she had never experienced this pressure before. She was afraid that she would die if the pressure remained a few more seconds. Her whole body crunched and cried for mercy, but as quickly as pain had arrived, it was gone in an instant. She couldn't feel the overwhelming pressure anymore; all she could see were those brilliant rings.

The older man, seeing that the children were well, continued his work as an awakener. Lien Hua, returning to her senses, saw something wonderful. Since the mysterious rings had come out of the older man's body, the child at the centre of the altar began to sweat, and out of his body began to emerge a purple miasma mixed with an icy, rotten green, creating small drops of acid that ran throughout the air. The cloud then rose more and more until nothing came out of the child's body.

The cloud gathered itself over the child's head as it dripped corrosive droplets on the marble around him and then took on the form of a Centipede. But different from the version from Lien Hua's old world, this one had an exoskeleton entirely made of purple colouring and had patterns on the back of the rotten green colour, and all around there was a corrosive miasma.

The old man, seeing the child catching his breath was disappointed. "Uh, a Poison Centipede. Not bad, your talent is low-grade." And just like that, the Centipede re-entered inside the body of the child, who with a sorrowful look, got up and moved himself to the side.

The ceremony went on until it was Lin Yue's turn. She turned to look back and to see her two friends making gestures of encouragement; she then also sat cross-legged on the altar.

Lin Yue sat on the altar and the old man began to awaken her, Lien Hua could see how Lin Yue gritted her teeth and shiver, making the girl watching her friend quite anxious. But after seeing a beautiful snow-white cloud mixed with some emerald green exit from her body, producing snowflakes as it went up, and that Lin Yue wasn't in pain anymore, Lien Hua calmed down.

The icy cloud joined in a ball over Lin Yue's head and took the form of a scorpion, but different from the first child's martial spirit, this one had a transparent exoskeleton made of ice entirely, and inside one could see some other emerald green ice that gave a concrete form to the scorpion, and all around it there were snowflakes.

Lin Yue, sitting on the marble floor, was catching her breath for a few moments when she saw that the Seventh Elder was watching her. She told him, "Don't worry Seventh Elder, I'm fine."

Seeing as the little girl told him she was fine, he announced her results, "You were good. An eternal ice scorpion with a medium grade talent; I'm very pleased.'' After she heard his words, Lin Yue rose up with a very proud look and got down the altar and her martial spirit returned to within her body as she descended from the platform.

Next came the turn of Chen Huang where the Seventh Elder did the same thing and from him came out a very hot miasma that looked like a flame of mixed colour between orange and red.

The air started to warm immediately, and it was difficult to breathe, a great contrast from the cold air with snowflakes that was there before. This miasma joined over his head and out of it came a small lion made of orange and red flames that roared toward the other children.

It was an Orange-Red Fire Lion. Chen Huang's talent was the same as Lin Yue. the Sect Elder was pleased; this batch of fresh disciples was very talented. With high hopes, the older man called the other children over to the altar and began awakening them until finally, he reached Lien Hua.

Already shocked by how her friends were so talented, and not wanting to do any worse than them, although this was a very childish action, Lien Hua had created a small rivalry between herself and them, although superfluous, and so she sat down on the altar when it all began.

Lien Hua felt as if something inside of her was about to come out. She felt a searing pain as if someone was trying to tear off a chunk of flesh attached to her bones, but as it had begun, it ended immediately, and a feeling she had never felt took over from that pain.

As a runner would seek to drink a fresh bottle of water after a tiring run, Lien Hua felt replenished, as if the rest of her life was nothing more than the trek of a weary runner and now she felt like she was refreshing her true being.

While in the Altar of Awakening, from Lien Hua's body rose a pitch-black miasma, and inside of it jets of blue lightning ran through the entire black cloud. With the gushing of electricity, the wind that grew out of this cloud stirred up all of Lien Hua's hair.

When all of the black clouds gathered together over Lien Hua's head, a rumbling sound was heard that sounded much like a clap of thunder making all the children at the side of the altar cover their ears from the loud noise.

A small storm had formed over Lien Hua's head, and within the centre of it there was a small bird made of blue lightning. Where there were the furrows for the eyes resided two bright dots like suns that dated around with intelligence, and in the blink of an eye, when the bird re-entered the body of Lien Hua, everything calmed down.

Lien Hua's hair that was flying around calmed down and fell on her shoulders. The shocked older man was thrilled. "Storm sparrow, excellent middle-grade talent!" And in a low voice, he whispered, "After this, I shall inform the higher-ups of this year's lot of good disciples."

And then the elder announced, ''Tomorrow all of you will go to the halls of instruction where some elders of the sect will begin your lessons. As for the lease and the number of your hall, don't worry; your keepers will escort you there and handle everything for that process. Well, now you can go.''

Thus, all the children who had congregated that day (some happy, while others sad), began their journey to their respective homes.

Meanwhile, Lien Hua and her two friends had stopped for a moment in front of the awakening square.

8