Chapter 28: Masters Gather
84 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Carter reached the D.E.O. he saw that everyone was there waiting for him. “Is everyone alright?” They looked around and nodded. “Yeah, we’re fine, but are you okay? When you saw the guys on that roof, you practically freaked out. What happened? Why did you have such a reaction seeing those guys to the point of telling us to run for our lives?” That was Eddie’s question to Carter. Carter was glad, “It’s good that everyone is alright.” After he said that, he collapsed.

When he fell forwards, they could see that there were several wounds on his back. Carter was bleeding profusely. He was taken to the operating room. They used the latest medical technology to save him. Everyone was waiting outside the infirmary waiting for news. When the doctor came out, Eddie was the first to approach the doctor. “So, how is he doc? Is he going to be okay?” They were all worried about their friend, Eddie was especially worried.

“It was touch and go at the beginning but he’s okay now. He just needs to rest. That man has a tenacious will and surprisingly quick healing ability. He should be able to fully recover by tomorrow morning.” Everyone was relieved, Eddie especially. “Can we see him?” The doctor replies, “You can but I don’t recommend too many people be in there at once. How about one of you stay, while the rest go to sleep for the night. It has been a very busy day for everyone.”

Alex led everyone to the staff quarters. They had been through a rough week, and they obviously needed the rest. Eddie volunteered to accompany Carter for the night. Nobody argued with him over the decision as he knew Carter the longest.

Eddie walked into the infirmary and sat next to Carter’s bed. He looked at the sorry state that Carter was in. “Why did you have to do this? Why did you have to carry this burden on your shoulders? You’ve already been through enough. What makes you keep going? I know you say that it’s Alaya’s will or whatever. But I don’t give a crap. You use to be the sweet guy that brings me breakfast every morning, and lunch every afternoon. Why can’t we go back to the way it used to be?”

Eddie was shedding tears seeing Carter like this. He grabbed Carter’s hand, “I know you can’t hear me but I like you, Carter Grant. I really like you. I think I’m in love with you. So after all this is finished, can we go back to the way it used to be? I know it’s impossible given our current situations, but I always picture living my life with you.” Eddie stop crying and wiped away his tears. “I’m sorry but I can only tell you like this. I could never tell you this while you’re awake. Call me a coward, but my feelings for you are real. Why did you have to walk into my life, you idiot? Why did I step into the diner that day? Why did I save you from your marriage to that guy?” Eddie brought Carter’s hand to his lips and kissed it. He then returned Carter’s hand before kissing Carter’s forehead. He rubbed Carter’s head before sitting back down on the chair.

Eddie slept the entire night beside Carter’s bed. He could sleep soundly because he had let go of everything that was on his chest. He had finally told the person he loved that he loved him, even though the person in question was asleep the entire time.

The sun was high up in the sky when Carter finally woke up. It was noon and the doctor observed Carter and performed several tests. Carter had remarkably completely healed. All that was left of his injuries were a few scars from when the various swords that stabbed him. When the doctor cleared him, he was ready to leave. Eddie waited at Carter’s bedside throughout the testing procedure. When the doctor cleared him, they both left the infirmary to meet up with their friends.

Carter asks his friends, “How did I end up in the infirmary. Who carried me?” As Barry was about to answer, Eddie who was behind Carter, gestured for him not to say anything. “Kara carried you. So, are you okay? Maybe you should sit things out and rest a bit more.” Kara who was beside Barry hits his arm. Carter shook his head, “We need to get ready, Barry, have you found a way to contact the Waverider?” Barry nodded, “Yeah, we were able to contact Sarah. She’ll be here soon. She’s bringing the Legends with her. Oh, and I picked up Cisco this morning.” As they were talking, a spaceship appeared above the DEO. The ship cloaked itself the moment it arrived. J’onn told them that a small ship has just landed. The group went to meet the Legends.

Barry introduced the Legends to their new friends, “This is Sarah, the White Canary, and co-captain of the Legends. This is Nate, Mick, Zari, and Constantine.” They greeted each other and Carter saw a command seal on Sarah’s hand. Carter immediately went to inspect it. It was a ring with a line down the center and a pair of wings on each side Constantine interjected when Carter observed the command seal. “That is some bloody hell powerful magic mate. Even I have a hard time understanding what it is when it suddenly appeared on Sarah’s hand. Best not to touch it so wantonly.”

Constantine explained that he detected powerful magic suddenly appearing on the Waverider. When he inspected the source of the magic, he found the mark on Sarah’s hand. He was sent flying when he tried to fiddle with it.

After they were finished with introductions, J’onn led them to the DEO conference room to discuss the next step. He told them that Alex had recording devices placed in her suit. She was able to get a clear picture of everyone standing on that roof. When J’onn showed the picture, he looked towards Carter for more information. Everyone else followed suit, especially the other masters, Eddie, Cisco, Henry, Joey, Lena, and Sarah.

Seeing that everyone was staring at him, Carter got up and went to the screen. “Before you is the picture of the seven servants that the enemy has summoned. I don’t know who the masters are or how they got together but I do know the identity of the servants. As you may all know, the servants summoned for a Holy Grail War are typically summoned into the seven classes, one servant for each class. Those seven are Saber, the servant of the sword, Archer, the servant of the bow, Lancer, the servant of the spear, Rider, the servant of the mount, Caster, the servant of sorcery, Berserker, the servant of madness, and Assassin, the servant of killing.”

Eddie continued his explanation and pointed to the seven enemy servants. “You can see that our enemy has assembled their servants. We’ve encountered Berserker twice, once on our Earth and again on Earth-212. Berserker’s identity is Heracles, our big friend her is very powerful and almost unkillable. Now we move on to Assassin whom we met. We can’t see a picture of her because her Noble Phantasm prevents us from doing so. Assassin’s identity is Jack the Ripper.” Constantine interjected, “You might as well be lying mate because that bloke’s been dead for bloody ages.” Carter continued, “And all those people you fought recently weren’t brought back from hell.” Constantine was silenced. “These people were icons of their time, their names and stories live on to this day. The people’s concept of them is what defines them and allows them to exist on the Throne of Heroes. They are immortalized there. Ready to be summoned when needed.”

Carter continued while everyone silently listens to the information of the servants. “Next up we have Caster. She is the middle-eastern woman who looks like a belly dancer. Her name is Scheherazade. You’ve probably heard of her. She is the narrator of the one thousand and one nights. The stories of the Arabian Nights. That is her Noble Phantasm, the Arabian Nights stories. Now we come to Rider, the large guy with red hair. His name is Iskandar and he’s a Greek king known as the King of Conquerors. He is better known as Alexander the Great. Following that, we have Lancer, the lady in full knight armor. I believe she’s the most famous one here. She was heralded as the great King of Knights that pulled the sword from the stone and became the king of Britain. But this version of her is after she lost the sword. She now wields the holy lance Rhongomyniad. She is a Heroic Spirit of a different possibility.”

And lastly, we come to Saber and Archer. Saber is the blond in red wielding the red sword. Her identity is the Emperor of Roses, Nero Claudius of Rome. An Emperor of Rome. Finally, we come to the most difficult enemy to deal with. The blond guy covered in gold. That’s Archer. His true name is Gilgamesh, the demi-god King of Uruk, and the King of Babylon. He is dubbed as the King of Heroes. He is humanity’s oldest hero. He has been interpreted into many myths. Because of this, he has the Noble Phantasm Gate of Babylon, which allows him to summon the weapons of every single hero. I told you guys to run yesterday because we didn’t have a chance against him. That was why we needed to run. Each of those weapons is powerful by themselves. And he will launch them at you like firing a machinegun, except each one will have the strength similar to a rail gun. Since its magic, even Supergirl can’t withstand them.”

Carter sighs, “I should probably tell you that offensive Noble Phantasms are typically divided into anti-personal, which is meant for a single target, anti-fortress, meant to destroy strong defenses and a large group, and anti-army, this is meant to destroy an entire army. Then there is Gilgamesh’s ultimate Noble Phantasms, Ea, the Sword of Rupture falls under anti-world.” This description worried the heroes. The level of difficulty for their battle just went from extreme to hell. Most of them did not know what to say.

3