Chapter 31: Master and Servant
81 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Master, where is your room? I will reveal my identity to you when we are alone.” “Okay”. Joey takes Caster to the room J’onn had given him. When they entered the room, Joey noticed Caster mumbling something as she went to the middle of the room. When she finished mumbling, Joey could see a dome of purple energy spread out to the entire room with her being at the center of it.

“This is a bounded field. No one will be able to monitor or disturb us as long as it stands. Now, Master, I will reveal my true name to you, as well as my identity.” Joey nodded and pulled out a chair for her to sit while he just sat on the bed.

“Young one, this queen’s name is Scathach-Skadi. I am the Mother of Scandanavia. You may be my master but I will not just be your servant, but your teacher as well. Your aptitude for the arcane arts is average at best master, but with my help, maybe you can break off the title of average to become an extraordinary mage.” Joey was momentarily silenced by Caster’s words. She was going to teach him magic. “You’re actually going to teach me magic. You’re going to teach me genuine real magic.”

“Yes master, I will teach you all I can in the short amount of time we have together. Let us start with the basics. Magic stems from knowledge, so to become more powerful, you cannot skimp out on your studies. One of the things I will teach you is this”, Caster started to write runes in the air. The runes glowed with purple light as they hovered in the air. The runes then change into crystal flowers. Caster had turned the runes into crystal lilies and set them aside.

“There are many forms of magic, some take the shape of runes, while others come in the form of magic circles like the one that was used to summon me. However, I must first awaken your ability to sense and use magic.” Caster touches Joey’s forehead and chest. As she did so, a stream of energy transferred from her and entered Joey. It went through every part of his body, opening his pores, and increasing his flows. It was as if a dam broke in his body and he started feeling energy move around in his body.

Joey closed his eyes and opened them again. When he did so, he could now see what Carter meant when he said that the atmosphere is saturated in magical energy. Caster then explains, “What you feel flowing through you at the moment is mana. It is the fundamental force for using magic. Think of it as your supply of magical energy. Every person who practices magic emits an aura. You can now see the magic energy in the air as well as another person’s aura. I will now show you my aura. Do not feel discouraged, but I hope that you can reach this level of power in the future.” Caster started releasing her aura, and Joey saw the large amount of purple energy that Caster was exuding. “OMG, it’s huge”, Joey was speechless. His caster possessed a great amount of power. Caster then took out her wand and created several books for Joey. “You will spend most of your time studying these master. Once you finish all of them, we’ll move to the intermediate level books.”

Joey checked out the titles of the books that Caster had just given him. “Basics of Rune Craft, Simple Spells for Beginners, Incantations: The importance of Spells and Names. Fundamentals of the Art”. After reading the title of the final book, Joey looked at Caster, “What? Art is important since you need an image of how you want your spells to work out. Words, names, runes, incantations, are not the only things you need to consider when casting spells. You must also create an image for it.” Caster spent the rest of the day teaching Joey magic.

While Joey and Caster went to Joey’s room, Lena took Archer to the lab. Archer request for them to be alone. J’onn had given the order for everyone to listen to the people that had just arrived. Obeying orders, everyone left the lab leaving only Lena and Archer in the room. Using his power, Archer made his electricity flow throughout the room disabling all listening devices.

“I will now reveal my identity to you master. I am one of the heroes of modern times as I obtained my power from sheer human capability unlike the servants of the older generation that gained their power from the ancient gods and spirits of the land.” Archer spoke this as he fiddled with the technology around him. “I was once heralded as the Zeus of modern time. My true name, master, is Nikola Tesla.” Archer was boasting of his feats as he told Lena his true name.

Lena was stunned speechless. Carter had told everyone that every servant was a famous character in history, but she did not know what to believe, since she was a person of Science and not magic. “I’m sorry sir but I refuse to believe you’re the pioneer of modern technology. That man died a long time ago.” Archer just laugh it off, “I can see you’re skeptical about the prospect of magic. I was also skeptical of it at first, but believe me, it’s real. You see, magic and science are similar in many ways, but the greatest difference between them is their ideologies.”

“In science, you invent new ways, methods, formulas, invention, etc. to improve your life. Magic is the same thing except they use spells. Like I said, similar principles, just different ideologies." Unsure whether or not he was the actual Tesla, Lena took out a holographic blueprint of one of her machines, to see if he could understand it. When she took it out and showed it to Archer, he paid close attention to it. Lena had used one of Tesla’s theories to build the machine, but it had some problems, and Archer solved them instantly. As he was giving her notes, Lena had an epiphany and realized that the person before might very well be Nikola Tesla.

Eddie and Henry took their servants to a nearby garden, and they revealed their true names to their masters. Eddie and Lancer took one corner, while Henry and Berserker took another.

Eddie and Lancer sat down, and she smiles gently told him her identity. “My name is Brynhildr. I am a Valkyrie of the great lord of the Aesir, Odin. My primary duty is to guide fallen heroes to the halls of Valhalla, but at the moment, my duty is to serve you master and represent you during this Holy Grail War.” Lancer told Eddie of her role, hoping he would make use of her skills, and not treat her as some damsel in distress. Lancer then asks him, “What is your relationship to the Faker, master? I can sense his killing intent on you when you ogled at me.”

When Lancer said this, Eddie blushed before denying her words, “So that’s what I felt earlier. There’s nothing going on between us. We’re just friends. I helped him in the past. That was it.” Lancer's smiles and acts as if she fell for his pretense. Lancer thought in her head, “Master, you cannot keep your feelings bottled up. You must tell him how you feel eventually. Maybe I can make the eventuality occur a lot faster.” Lancer giggled as she had an image of her master and the Fakers in each other’s embrace. The image gave her a nose bleed. “Lancer, are you okay?” Eddie asked this when he saw the Lancer’s nose was bleeding. Noticing it, Lancer wiped it away. "I'm fine master."

4