Chapter 40: Carter’s Imprints
47 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I might have some use for her.” A long-haired man was leaning on the wall got up and approached Lucas. “Her power in addition to Heracles can give me an advantage over Vibe. If I can kill Cisco, take his frequency, and use it on my gloves, my power can be amplified. With the power upgrade from that, going to other Earths will be easier.”

“So, what do I have to do to make her my servant?” Lucas approaches Scheherazade, “It’s simple Mr. Ramon, or would you still prefer I call you Echo. Anyway, you can just ask the servant in question to establish a contract with you before she disappears. Normally a single master possessing more than one servant would cause a great strain on the master and he would need a catalyst to control the servant. The servant must be bound to the master with something but the amount of mana in the atmosphere is abundant so such steps are unnecessary, but you can only supply mana to one of your servants in a single battle. If you do more than that, then you’ll be too exhausted to help either one of your servants should they encounter trouble? Since the other side also lost a master, it’s highly likely that they’ll do the same. At least Stone did something useful before he died.”

“Alright, Scheherazade, do you wish to establish a contract with me?” Scheherazade nods, “I Scheherazade form a contract with master Echo.” When the contract was established, the command seal on Echo’s hand released a bright red glow before returning to normal. No further changes could be seen on the command seal.

Lex looks around the room, “So who’s the next person going after the red servants?” Echo turns to Lucas, “I’m going next. Lex, which servant did my look-alike summon?” Lex takes out his phone and scrolls through the information he had on the red servants and masters. “From the look of things, his servant might be Rider. My satellite took pictures of him and his servant on the back of a pterosaur flying around the city. So, it’s most likely that his servant is Rider based on the image.”

Back at the DEO, Carter was finishing up his operation to save Joey. After the wound had healed a little bit and he had closed the wound, Carter pressed the three healing magic circles on Joey’s heart. As he did so, Carter inserted some of his mana into the spell as it enters Joey’s body. The operation was finished and he had strengthened Joey’s body and mana and increased his mana capacity. His future in magecraft had become brighter.

After finishing the operation, Carter left the room and met with his friends, “The operation’s a success. With enough rest, Joey will be as good as new. You can rest easy Caster, your master’s safe. Henry, you can accompany him. It’s best if Joey has someone who cares about him to take care of him.”

Henry blushes, “Thanks, Carter. Caster, I’m sorry for earlier. It’s just that Joey means a lot to me. I know you tried your best to save him and I’m thankful for it, and I’m sure Joey is too.” The red-haired jock Henry left to accompany Joey for the night.

With that ordeal settled, Sara told Carter about what Caster said and she needed to know more about Carter’s powers, before commits to the coming battles. “So Carter, what’s the deal with your power? I want the names of every single one of the servants you imprint, so I can form a better strategy to deal with those guys. So start spilling.”

Carter was reluctant to share his secrets but when he looked at Eddie, he noticed that even Eddie felt he should share his secret. Carter knew that in a relationship, certain secrets must be shared to gain his partner’s trust. Despite their date earlier, Carter did not know how Eddie felt about him, which made him reluctant to share the exact detail of his powers.

Carter told everyone that he’d reveal everything that he could about his power. He told them to go to the conference room ahead of him. Just as they were leaving, Carter grabs Eddie’s shoulder and faced him. “Eddie, I want to know, do you feel the same way as everybody else? I just want to be sure.”

Eddie sighs, “Yeah, I kinda do. I wanna know what is it that you’re too afraid to tell me. It’s okay, it’s just your powers. We all know that we each have powers and we also know how each of them works, so what’s the problem? Don’t you trust us? Don’t you trust me? Look, whatever, or in this case, whoever it is, I won’t judge you. You must’ve picked those guys for a reason right? That’s all I want to know. You have to trust us. You have to trust me. We won’t let your secret get out. Besides, isn’t it important to share your secret with someone close to you? No matter what, I’ll always be there for you.”

“Alright, I guess it’s time to let the cat out of the box. I’ve been keeping this secret for a while and I’m about to explode from not talking about it. Thanks, Eddie, I knew I could count on you to cheer me up. Let’s go”, Carter pulled Eddie and embraced him. He gave Eddie a big hug. Eddie could not help but mumble after Carter left, “A hug, come on man. You should at least give me something more than that." Just as Eddie was about to leave, Carter came back and gave him a peck on the cheek, “Thanks Eddie”.

“At least he's starting to open up”, Eddie ran after everyone. When they entered, everyone was already there waiting for his explanation. J’onn was the first to speak up, “Alright Carter, we’re all here. Tell us a bit more about your powers so that they could be better utilized. Hopefully, we can end this whole farce a lot sooner by strategizing around your abilities.”

Carter walks to the front of the room and talks about how his powers work. “I’ve been granted by Alaya the power to imprint servants onto myself. When I do so, I’ll take on not just their form and appearance, but I’ll have all their powers, knowledge, and memories as well. But with it comes a burden as well. You all know what I mean right. With powers, comes responsibility. Caster gave me the biggest headache, it was a lot to take in but I digress.”

Carter releases an exasperated sigh, “As I said before, I can imprint servants but I’m not limited to the seven servants like the ones we summoned. I can imprint Saber, Lancer, Archer, Rider, Caster, Berserker, Assassin, Ruler, Avenger, and Shielder. So far, the only servant I haven’t imprinted yet is Avenger. I’m still torn on who I should imprint. Unlike other heroes, Avenger died with grudge-filled resentment. There people who suffered the most when history and the world wronged them. I still can’t decide on which one I should choose for that one but I’ll tell you about the others.”

Everyone sat around the table, patiently listening to Carter’s explanation. “For the Saber class servant, I imprinted the knight of treachery, Sir Mordred.” Constantine interrupted when Carter mentioned the servant. “What do you mean Mordred? That wanker was no knight of Britain. He killed his own father and incited a rebellion just to be king. He’s the least suitable bloke to be called a hero.” Carter turns to Constantine, “Sorry mate please continue.” Carter shakes his head, “That was from someone else’s point of view. Have you ever heard Mordred’s side of the story John? Yes what you said was true and it did happen but did you know the reason behind it? Mordred was tired of seeing his father lift the heavy burden on his own and not share it with his vassals. The rebellion only happened because Arthur’s people were dissatisfied with him. He tried to do what was best for his people but did not listen to them. Mordred just wanted his father to step down so he could satisfy the people but Arthur was too stubborn. In one of the other Earths, a Holy Grail appeared and caused a distortion in the timeline. This happened in London during the late 1800s. Random servants started to appear during the distortion, Mordred being one of them. He didn’t want to see the city and nation that his father had built be destroyed so he fought and saved the city from the distortion. On the Throne of Heroes, Mordred gained another title for his efforts, from then on he was known as the Knight of Londinium.”

Constantine was a bit touched by Mordred’s story. “I guess Mordred is a true knight of Camelot.” Carter continues, “Archer is Heroic Spirit EMIYA. I know you’re curious but don’t ask about him. He’s not a hero of the past, that’s why there’s no record of him. He’s a hero of the future and his story is a lot to take in, and in my opinion, just too depressing. Rider is someone Eddie knows all too well.” Eddie comments, “I was in the infirmary for a week from the beating you gave me with that guy." Carter just laughs it off, “I’m not surprised. Even in a race, you’d still lose to him. Rider’s true name is Achilles. The hero of the Trojan War. Moving on, we have Berserker Vlad the Third, I’ve already talked about him before. Next is Assassin, I also kicked Eddie’s butt with this guy. His true name is Li Shuwen. In case you don’t know who he is, look it up. I chose this handsome gentleman to imprint as Ruler. Ruler’s true name is Sherlock Holmes. I know what you’re thinking, Holmes isn’t a real person. As I said before, It’s not whether they're real or not but the concept of them is what defines them.”

“For Shielder, I chose another knight of Camelot. He is someone who defended Camelot’s walls and borders. He is powerful in a defensive aspect. His true name is Sir Galahad. Last but not least is Caster. This is the one all of you are most curious about. Along with Sara’s Assassin, the Caster I imprinted presents the greatest power of the counter-force. The servants that are summoned when humanity is on the brink of destruction, the Grand Class Servants. With the right conditions, Assassin and I can gain the power of a Grand Class. Caster’s true name is that of the Mage King of Israel, Solomon.”

2