Chapter 49: New Invention
38 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Finally it’s done. Thank you, Archer. I couldn’t have done this without you. With this, we can locate not just masters but servants as well. Now we don’t have to worry about suddenly getting ambushed” Lena was excited that her latest invention was at last finished. While she was at the DEO and met with the other masters, she heard how the enemy had always caught them off guard. With the completion of her newest invention, they would be able to go on the offensive and locate the enemy servants and masters instead of just waiting for the enemy to reveal themselves.

“You’re welcome, master. With this device, we don’t have to take such a passive stance in this war. However, I feel that we should still prepare for any unforeseen circumstances. Sometimes, having the proper equipment is not enough to face an unknown enemy. After all, humans can be unpredictable creatures.” Lena nods at Archer’s words and they both left Luthor Corp. Their destination is the DEO.

Somewhere else in the city, a group of four could be seen leaving the library at National City University. “Master, I would like to go to your theatres to see how you’re productions have changed since my era. My time as the Emperor of Rome saw the performing arts at the height of culture. I want to see for myself whether or not your current productions can live up to the standards of the greatest empire in the world.” Roger Barts one of the Black masters laughs, “You heard that Peters? Your servant wants to go see a play. Like that’s possible. I heard that you’re not into that kind of thing. You’d prefer to watch a wrestling match. What do you think about Rider’s match yesterday?”

Saber was constantly pestering her master Eric on the matter. The annoying servant started getting on his nerves. “Shut up Nero. Fine, I’ll get us tickets for a show, if you stop bugging me about it.” Eric then hits Roger on the back of his head, “I told you to shut up about that. I don’t want people knowing I like professional wrestling. In my opinion, Rider’s death is a sad moment for sports entertainment. The loss of such a great athlete should affect everyone.”

The group of four went to the theatre district and Eric was able to get the last four seats for them. “Alright, the show is for tonight. So we will meet back here at seven-thirty. I want you to dress in smart casual. This mainly applies to you Barts, and you especially Iskandar. Since there’s nothing else for us to do here, I suggest we split up. If you find the enemy masters or servants, call. We each have each other’s number. So you better call me if you see them, Barts.”

Barts did not take Eric’s heed to heart and just ignored his warning. Iskandar then turns to his master, “Hey boy, we need to go shopping. I don’t have anything that fits your friend’s choice of attire. I want to look good for tonight’s occasion. I haven’t been to a play in a long time. I need some time to unwind before we march into battle.”

Barts was depressed that he had to go shopping for someone else. “Fine, we’ll go. But to be honest, I’m pretty skeptical we’ll even find a size for you. I mean look at you, you’re huge. Your arms are especially huge, I mean look at your bulging muscles. Maybe we can find something for you in the plus-size stores.” The master and servant went to several stores before finding a set of clothes that met Eric Peters’ criteria. Barts grumbled under his breath where no one heard what he said, “I am so gonna get you for this Peters. I conned a lot of people for this money, and you made me spend it on Iskandar’s clothes. Do you know how much effort I put into my cons? I’m going to make you pay for this plus interest.”

Lena arrived at the DEO bringing with her some good news. She was happy that they would be able to end the war quickly with the aid of her device. She went to see her friend Kara. She found Kara in the garden with Carter, Eddie, Saber, and Lancer. When he entered, Lena notices the atmosphere felt really somber. “Hey guys, why is everyone so depressed?”

Kara turns to the source of the voice to see Lena standing there. Kara gets up and hugs her friend, then asks her to sit down with her. “Rider, Quetzalcoatl died last night Lena. That’s why we’re all depressed. We were all attached to her. She was like the ultimate big sister, and we all felt her loss. Cisco took it the hardest. I called Barry to take him home. They left earlier this morning. Carter says that we have to move on and I know he's right but I just can’t help it.”

Carter looks at Kara wallowing in sadness, “I know you’re sad Kara. Believe me, I’m grieving too. This isn’t the first time that this happened. In all the previous Holy Grail Wars, most of the masters were attached to their servants. They all grieved when their servants died. But just like them, we need to persevere through the pain and move on. I’m sure Quetzalcoatl would want all of us to do the same thing. She wouldn’t have wanted us to wallow in her loss. She would’ve wanted us to keep going. She would’ve wanted us to keep smiling and keep helping people. That’s what she would’ve wanted. She was the god of goodness and kindness after all. So cheer up. You’ve got a whole city that needs Supergirl. She can’t stay here depressed. You should go out there and show the city that the protector of goodness and kindness is still around."

Kara wiped away her tears and raises her head, “Thanks Carter, I needed that pep talk.” Lena hugs Kara, “It’s good to see you back to your old spunky self, Kara.” Lena lets go of Kara and takes out her latest invention from her pocket. It has the appearance of a watch. Eddie observes the watch, “Not to be a buzzkill Lena, but the watch has been around for a while. I don’t think it counts as a new invention.”

Archer who was standing beside Lena sneers, “I find your ignorance and naivety quite adorable young man. That is not your typical watch. It is far more than that. It took us quite a while to finish it too.” Eddie turns to Carter, “Did he just called me stupid?” Carter comforts Eddie while Lena explains, “It’s not a normal watch. I call it Compass. When you touch the bottom of the screen, a holographic compass appears. This thing can detect magic. To be more accurate, it can detect servants and masters. Look here, the red dots represent the servants. There are currently five servants in our immediate vicinity. The 360° degrees compass can show us where they are. By turning the nob, you can change it to locate other things. By turning it clockwise, it changes from detecting and locating servants to detecting and locating masters. It has other features but we’ll discuss that another time.”

Archer brought out a steel briefcase and opened it. Inside the briefcase were several watches. Eddie and Carter both took one each. “I’m going to help Brainy hook this up to DEO’s sensors, then we’ll be able to locate these guys, then the war can end and we can go back to our normal lives. The adjustments might take a while so I got us seven tickets for Hamilton to celebrate our new invention. Do you guys want to join us?”

1