Chapter 57: Locating The Mastermind
28 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The very next day, the doctors had finished operating on Carter. Despite that it was over, Carter still laid on the bed unconscious. Eddie stayed at his bedside. He told the others that he would not leave until Carter woke up.

After telling everyone what had transpired, Lena went home to get some rest. The following morning, she returned to the DEO and met up with everyone else. J’onn took them all to the detention cell where they were keeping Lex. J’onn briefed everyone that Lex had regained consciousness and that he wanted to talk to them.

Lex smirks as he watches the heroes from behind the glass eating his breakfast. “So the heroes arrive. What do you want to know? You can ask me anything you want. I’ll give you the answer you want, provided you give me something I want, of course.”

Kara punches the glass. She wants to hit beat him up to the point he could not even smirk anymore. “Cut the high and mighty act Lex. We’re not negotiating with you. Besides, you’ll probably provide us with false information anyway.” Lex pretended to be hurt by her words. “Is that how you see me Supergirl? I’m just a liar to you. I’m hurt. Your words hurt me Supergirl. So, about my offer, take it or leave it.”

Kara turns to her friend, “J’onn, you know as well as I do that he can’t be trusted. Are you sure you want to strike a deal with him?” J’onn thought about it. “What sort of information can you provide Lex?” Lex grins as he attracted their interest. “For one thing, I can tell you who the guy that gathered us is. I can even tell you where he’s hiding out.”

Kara became agitated, “How do we know you’re telling the truth?” Lex smirks again, “You can’t. You just have to believe in my integrity.” Just as they were interrogating Lex, Sara, Assassin, Constantine, and Gary enter the room. “Hey Kara, Alex, J’onn, what’ve got for us?”

Kara takes them outside and tells them what had happened. After listening to Kara, Sara knew what she had to do, and they returned to the room. Sara walks up to J’onn, “Why don’t you guys get out of here and search for the other servants. We can handle things here. We’ll get him to talk.”

When everyone left the room, Sara, Assassin, and Constantine entered Lex’s cell, while Gary watched from a distance. Lex smirks seeing the three people that just entered his cell. “And who might you three be? If you think you’re going to get me to talk, then you are greatly mistaken. There’s nothing that you can do to me that will make me talk.”

J’onn returned to the DEO command center to monitor activities for possible threats. J’onn was told that Lena had already upgraded their software and updated the device. “Now, we can finally look for these servants. We can finally go on the offensive. When the device was switched on, a holographic image of National City appeared before everyone in the command center.

When everyone turned their eyes to the image, they could see seven red dots and seven blue dots. J’onn found it odd. “According to Lena, the red dots represented servants while the blue dots represented masters.” According to the image displayed, there were only seven of each. That was what J’onn found odd. “There should be nine red dots and nine blue dots. So why are there only seven? Looks like I’ll need to have a talk with Lex. Hopefully, Sara was able to get something out of him.”

Just as J’onn was about to go to the detainment cell to help with the interrogation, Sara walks out of the room with Assassin, Constantine, and Gary. Sara tells him what she found out. J’onn questions Sara, “So, how did it go? Were you able to get something from him?” Sara grins, “Yup, we made him sing. To be more precise, Assassin made him talk. I don’t know how he did it though. But I did sense something scary when he did it. According to Lex, the mastermind behind this whole thing is hiding under the park. We were just about to go there.”

Just as they were about to leave, J’onn grabs Sara’s shoulder. “Hold on Sara. Why don’t I get everyone together then we can all go together.” Sara turns around and smiles, “No offense J’onn, but I think we got this. I’ve been through my fair share of demons and supernatural beings, so believe me when I tell you that we’ve got this covered.”

As The Legends walked away, Assassin stopped in front of J’onn, “Don’t worry. As long as I’m here, nothing will happen to master.” Assassins’ words did not comfort J’onn. In fact, he was even more worried. He had seen the scope of battle that came from a fight between servants. It was far more dangerous than any battle he had seen.

As The Legends left the DEO, J’onn gifted Sara with Lena’s locator. However, J’onn told them that they could not detect the presence of a servant in that vicinity. He did not know whether or not Lex was telling the truth, but it was the only lead they had to bring the war to an early conclusion.

When The Legends arrived at National City Park, they headed to the location that Lex mentioned. They found the entrance to the service and maintenance tunnels and went inside. The path led them underground. After passing through several corridors and pipes they found the location that Lex mentioned. When Sara inspected it, she couldn’t find anything out of the ordinary with it. It seemed like a regular wall. That was when Constantine noticed something.

“Hold on there, love. I sense some magic on this wall. Whoever did this is bloody brilliant. There is a magic spell on this wall. It’s hiding the door. You’re lucky you brought me, otherwise, you wouldn’t have found the entrance no matter how long you searched. And if my guess is right, we’ll find out exactly why that device of yours was unable to detect his location.”

Constantine chanted a spell and a magic circle appeared before them. His spell revealed the magic rune of the wall. Using another spell, Constantine activated the rune and the wall disappeared. The path opened and they found a staircase leading downwards. Sara made her conclusion, “So the guy that planned this hid the entrance by enchanting a wall. That’s pretty smart actually. Normal people would try to find a hidden switch but this method works even better.

As they went down the stairs, Constantine, and Assassin could feel the mana concentration in their immediate vicinity intensify. “I was right. This is the reason why we couldn’t detect them before. Sara, love. Why don’t you use that thing the Martian gave us?” Sara did not understand what Constantine was getting at but she activated the watch and the holographic compass appeared over her wrist.

The device showed two red dots and two blue dots. The blue dot in the center was her while the red dot right behind her was Assassin. The other set of red and blue dots were just ahead. Sara then turns to Constantine for an explanation. “I was right love. We’re in a bounded field. Everything that happens inside is undetectable to the outside world. That is one of its features aside from granting its maker and advantage while in here.”

2