Chapter 60: The Spirit of the Grail
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Azrael, the Noble Phantasm of Assassin, Hassan-I Sabbah the First, is able to instill the concept of death upon his enemies. After being struck by this Noble Phantasm, Heracles lost the rest of his remaining lives. He began turning into light particles and dispersing. When all of the light particles dispersed, Oliver reappeared in front of everyone. When he reappeared, he was carrying an unconscious person with him.

“Congratulations Sara, Assassin. You’ve just defeated one of the more powerful servants under the Black faction. You should celebrate. Once you’re sent back to the real world, you should tell J’onn about what you found in the room. Oh, and here. Take this guy with you.” Oliver dropped Echo on the ground and their surroundings began to crack and shatter.

The Reality Marble shattered and everyone returned to the underground room. Constantine casts a spell and Echo was bound by magic chains. They picked him up and retraced their steps. After a while, they managed to return to the surface. Assassin and The Legends took their cloaked shuttle and flew it back to the DEO.

When they got there, they immediately brought Echo to a detention cell. J’onn saw on the security feed that Sara and The Legends had arrived and greeted them at the entrance to the detention cells. J’onn used his security authorization and opened the cell next to Lex. After they placed Echo in the cell, they left. They also ignored Lex’s request.

After dropping off Echo in the detainment cell, Sara briefed J’onn on what happened in the underground room. Constantine filled in the details as to why their device was unable to detect Heracles and Echo. J’onn called for an emergency meeting, everyone involved all participated, even Lena and Eddie. Sara and J’onn briefed them on Heracles’ defeat and why they were unable to detect Heracles and Echo.

Lena listened to the debriefing and realized she still had to make modifications to the device. Otherwise, they would never be able to locate Gilgamesh and his master. After the meeting ended, Eddie returned to Carter’s side. He olds Carter’s hand and kisses it. He then told the good news to the unconscious Carter. “It's okay Carter. You don’t have to try so hard anymore.” Eddie kisses Carter on his forehead.

Throughout the rest of the week, the days mostly passed by peacefully. There was no servant activity. The DEO only received reports about regular crimes. Each time it happened, the heroes were dispatched. Supergirl, Stargirl, S.T.R.I.P.E., The Flash, all went on patrol and defeated a few villains in addition to the criminals. Henry, Joey, Caster, Berserker, and Lancer even helped on a few of the cases.

The DEO kept monitoring Roger Barts and Eric Peters. J’onn told every DEO agent to keep tabs on the two masters. With Lex and Echo’s reluctant cooperation, J’onn managed to get a little bit more information on the identity of Gilgamesh’s master. They revealed to him that the person behind the entire Holy Grail War was someone named Lucas. J’onn did not get much aside from a few minor details. He knew he needed to catch the two remaining Black masters to truly uncover the identity of the mastermind that is Lucas.

Carter found himself floating in black emptiness. He wandered through the infinite void for quite some time. “Is anyone there? Can anyone hear me?” Cater called out but each time he did so, he did not get a response. He did not where he was. As he wandered through the vast emptiness, a bright light appeared. It appeared at the far edge of the emptiness.

As he got closer to the light, it grew smaller and smaller. When he finally reached the light, Carter could see a silhouette. The silhouette looked like a chalice. Just as he was about to touch it he heard a voice. It originated from the chalice. “The time is drawing near. I am about to appear.” Carter felt a warmth as he got closer, “Who are you?”

The chalice answered Carter, “I am the spirit of the Holy Grail. Mister, who are you?” Carter answers the question. “My name is Carter, I am a master in this Holy Grail War.” The spirit then continues to ask Carter, “Mister Carter, what kind of wish do you want to make if you win the war.” Carter put some thought into it before he answered. “I guess my wish would be to live a happy life with the man I love and raise a family together with him. I know it’s kinda selfish but that is what I want.”

The spirit giggled, “It’s not unusual for a wish to be selfish. Most wishes are. Everyone may want to improve the condition of the world, but that is not entirely possible. Because there will always be people that exploit others. There is no such thing as a perfect world. Even if you wish for it, over time, jealousy and greed will return to the hearts of man, and everything will return to the way it originally was. There is no point to make that sort of wish. It is better for each individual to live their lives to the fullest and help others to the best of their ability.” The more Carter conversed with the Holy Grail, he noticed that the voice of the spirit sounded like a little girl.

Carter listened to the spirit and he had to agree. “Is it possible for me to wish for my loved ones to be returned to me?” The spirit was silent for a while before answering, “If you are referring to departed loved ones then no. Once a person passes, they cannot return, even if they had my help. Bringing the dead back to life goes against the laws of nature. Even if somehow that was possible, they would not be the same people they originally were. My wish also cannot be used to change the fate of someone in the past. Doing so could greatly influence the fate of others. Such a wish will result in a ripple effect.”

Carter conversed with the spirit for quite some time. But inside the infinite void, carter realized he did not have any sense of time. Then he asked the spirit, “Do you have a more human form? I feel kind of weird talking to a cup” As Carter asked this, the spirit heard his request and manifested a human for itself.

What appeared before Carter was a little girl about twelve years old. She had long white hair, red eyes, and pale skin. She wore a collared, purple long-sleeved shirt with a light purple scarf to match, a long white skirt, and purple boots. Carter then asks her, “Do you have a name?” The spirit was silent in thought for a while. She then nodded, “I asked Alaya, and she told me that my name is Illyasviel.” Carter smiles as he looked at the adorable little girl in front of him, “Illaysviel, that’s a beautiful name. Can I call you Illya?”

The spirit nods, “Illya, I like it, from now on mister, you can call me Illya.” As they conversed, Carter and Illya got closer. Carter then said, “You know Illya, I hope I get a daughter just like you in the future. If I have a daughter in the future, I’m going to name her Illya, in honor of you. It would be even better if you became my daughter. I could imagine it now, you, me, and Eddie as one big happy family. But probably with a little boy, that way you could have a little brother.” Carter laughs it off. Despite how much he desires it, he was unsure whether or not such a life was possible. When Illya heard what he said, she hugs him, “I think it’d be great if we could be a family. Then I’d really be able to call you papa.”

0