Adversaries
3.3k 12 63
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This seriously couldn’t be happening to him, he thought. Ishi even pinched himself to make sure this wasn’t just a bad dream. Unfortunately, the pain he felt on his skin only served to increase the pain he felt emotionally.

“I think you might be overreacting.” His friend whispered over to him as class started. He would disagree with that statement, but pretty much everyone else wasn’t on his side. Though when their first break began, Ishi’s worries were confirmed as everyone gathered around Rinse’s desk.

“So much for getting any peace and quiet around here.” He was getting pushed away from his own seat with how much crowding there was now. It was loud too, with the numerous students asking her all sorts of questions. The boy was upset she just had to sit next to him. His seat was specially chosen by him on the first day precisely because no one ever came around the back like this.

Sadly, he chose not to sit by the window spot, which she ended up taking, because of some dumb superstition about becoming a main character to some ridiculous manga. Though considering how popular she was, he could see her being the real protagonist. Which he could live with, since he’d much rather be some background extra drawn to fill a scene.

“Is it true that you met Ishi on the train before school?” He heard Otoya ask the girl. His friend was also enamored by her fame, and he was very much a part of this crowd that was ruining his space.

“So Ishi is his name?” She said as she looked at him. This prompted everyone else to turn their heads towards him. Much to the boy’s chagrin. “You know, he’s kind of rude. I waved hello to him, and then he just put on his headphones to ignore me.” Ishi felt everyone’s eyes turn to ice cold glares at him.

“I didn’t know who she was.” He defended himself.

“Knowing you, I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t matter.” Otoya commented in a lighthearted manner.

“True.” He turned away from everyone, crossing his arms.

“Don’t worry about him.” One of his classmates said. “He’s just a grump.”

“You mean, the grump.” There were times when Ishi really wondered why Otoya was his best friend in the first place. Partially because that boy did annoy him to no end at times, but also because why would someone so kind put up with his attitude? “I don’t think there’s a single person colder than him.”

“Is that a normal thing at these school?” Rinse asked.

“Who knows?” Ishi responded. “I’ve never been one to want to stand out, but it turns out I’m just special in my own way.” Too bad for him, that it ended up putting him in unique position at this school. “Who cares anyway. After this school year ends, I won’t be seeing any of you anymore.” Everyone else shared his sentiment about it when regarding him.

“But, isn’t that reason enough to not want to be so cold?” She spoke up. “If time is limited, then doesn’t it make it more important to have it count?”

“Maybe to you, but I don’t really consider our so-called youth to be that important at all.” He countered. “Can’t say I’m really into it.” When he finished talking, he look at everyone else who was listening in their conversation. “Don’t just stare at us, go back to what you’re doing.” Ishi wondered why he even bothered to entertain these people. “And if anybody needs me.” He got up to go grab a snack, or something. Any excuse to get away from the crowd. “Don’t.”

And that was that. Well, his day certainly was a lot louder than normal with how many people wanted to talk with her. Why did she have to sit next to him? It only served to bother him more than anything else. Literally anyone else would’ve loved to be in his spot, so maybe he might look for someone to trade places with him. Then again, a lot of people really would love his place. If he put it up for dibs, then maybe things might become even more bothersome.

So his day eventually came to an end, and now it was time to head back home. Unsurprisingly, as he exited the school, there stood the girl and a lot of other students from outside their class. It seemed they wanted to make up for lost time that some others were privileged enough to have.

“It’s real nice of all of you to want to chat with me.” She appeared to not be overwhelmed by this crowd. It was expected from someone who was used to dealing with an audience. “But I promised my parents to come home to help with the move in.” Those weren’t words that he wanted to hear. If his morning was any indication, that could only mean one thing.

Which would be her splitting from everyone to walk towards the same station as him. He could tell from the daggers being stabbed into his back from the eyes of the crowd how unhappy they were that he was the fortunate one. From his point-of-view, he’d consider himself the unfortunate one.

“You know, you’re really good at getting the school to hate me, if that’s what you’re doing.” He commented as they moved away from the school. Ishi didn’t even turn to face her as he talked.

“I think you do a good enough job at that on your own.” So it seemed that she came prepared with her own quips.

“I guess you can have a bit of edge on you after all.” He said, considering the almost angel-like status everyone had already placed on the girl.

“And you’re a real big jerk, you know that?” She countered.

“Guilty as charged.” They got on the train together, and against all better judgment, continued this conversation. “And I’m not too worried about being cool with you. I’m sure in a week you’ll find a nice group to fit into and the two of us can just live ignoring each other.”

“I think it’ll be hard seeing as we’re seated next to each other.” She sat down next to him, crossing her legs in defiance.

“You’ll be impressed with my ignoring skills.” He said, about to put in his headphones. However, unlike before, she stopped him by taking one away from him. “Hey!”

“We’re in the middle of a conversation. How can you just suddenly cut it like that?”

“Look, I know you’re used to having attention with the job you got.” He yanked it back from her hand. “But I don’t care. All I want to do is get through high school, that’s it.”

“That can’t be the only thing you care about.” She retorted. “Why would you just waste your youth like that?”

“Because I don’t particularly care for the superficiality of teenagers.” He answered. “Case in point, you.”

“Me?”

“Yes, let’s be real here. We both know why everyone at school keeps swarming you.” While they were bickering, other people on the train were taking note of their arguments.

“Is that Ishi Hirose arguing with… Rinse Hattori?” One of them said.

“How is it that I’m the only one that didn’t know who you were?” He complained, commenting on their audience. “And can you please just mind your own business?”

“Sheesh, there he goes again.”

“Are you disliked in this town?” She asked, bewildered at his familiarity to what appeared to be strangers.

“I end up bickering a lot with people.” He answered. Somehow, despite his goal of not garnering attention. Ishi always seemed to be arguing with many people. It was as if people were drawn to do so all the time with him. Though, none of those arguments were ever considered serious. In fact, it became a bit of a badge of honor if one were to verbally battle with him.

Finally, his stop had arrived and it was time to get off the train. Ichi was really hoping to finally be freed from this horrible day of spending more time with this girl. But when have things ever gone his way? So, he wasn’t particularly surprised when she also got off with him. Disappointment was was a very accurate word to describe his feelings.

“Can you please stop following me?” He rudely said to her as they continued their walk.

“Trust me, I don’t want to see you any longer than I have to.” She responded. “But I’m just going home.”

“Then can you please go home somewhere else?”

“Now you’re just talking crazy.” He rolled his eyes and did his best to ignore her. Finally, he came up to his house. Now he could be rid of this girl. “So this is where you live?” Rinse asked him with a worried expression on her face.

“Yeah.” He didn’t pay any mind to her body language. “Try not to remember it.”

“I think that’ll be impossible to do.” She answered. He had no clue what she meant with an answer like that. That is, until his mom came barging out of the house.

“Ishi, you’re finally home.” She excitably gave him a big hug in front of the girl.

“M-mom!” He responded, obviously embarrassed with the sight they were showing in public.

“Oh, and I see you made friends with our new neighbor’s daughter.” She ignored his comments as she set him down.

“I wouldn’t say made friends with.” He said, then realized what she just said. “You’ve gotta be kidding me.”

63