A Killer Movie
1.9k 9 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After their lunch, the group was finally able to make their way to the movie theater. The place was fairly empty seeing as this was the middle of the day. Better for Ishi, it would be a pain to have to deal with loud people while watching a film.

“All right, now that we’re here.” Rinse said as they walked through the front door. “Can you tell us what the movie’s going to be about?”

“That’s easy.” Otoya answered her question in a flamboyant manner, dramatically pointing to the movie poster. “We’re going to be watching ‘Hanako’s Ghost’!” As expected, he chose the latest horror flick released to the public.

“You mean… We’re watching a scary movie?” When they told her it might be a much for her tastes, Youna assumed they meant this was going to be a super violent action movie. They were teenage boys after all.

“You didn’t think that the one kid who wanted to gut a fish wasn’t into this stuff, right?” Personally, Ishi wasn’t really into horror movies. Not because they scared him, but rather that they had become rather predictable due to the hundreds he had seen with Otoya. “It’s still not to late to back out now.”

“No no, you already got my ticket.”

“But it could be for anything.” Ishi suggested that she might be better off watching something she could like. Such as the film, ‘Our Name’, which was also popular. Specifically among girls her age.

“I can’t do that.” It would look weird if she went to watch a movie all by herself. Only losers and loners did that.

“Maybe Ishi can join you?” Otoya teased while poking at his friend. “He doesn’t care for these movies either, so maybe the two of you can enjoy a little alone time together?” Obviously this was a ploy to be alone with Rinse, but Ishi put a stop to it.

“Last time I checked, you asked me to watch a movie with you from our IOU. So I’m going to do exactly just that.”

“Now you’re the diligent type.” He sighed in slight disappointment.

“It’s okay.” Youna assured them. “I’m sure I can handle the movie.” She wasn’t confident in that statement. However, the girl didn’t want them to have to accommodate for her. This girl was nearly an adult so she should be able to handle something like that.

She was dearly wrong as they finally got sat down to begin watching the film. This was quite a dreadful experience with tons of gore to go along with it. Being a movie sequel, the makers decided that they needed to top themselves from before.

“So it’s going to be another one of those movies.” Ishi muttered to himself in disappointment. Sure, he had already seen plenty of these movies and gotten desensitized to all the horrors before him. But at least if it was done well, he could be entertained. This was just doing things for the sake of it.

Losing interest on the big screen, his eyes began to wander towards the people around him. Next to him on the right was Otoya, with Rinse sitting past the boy. Meanwhile, Youna sat besides him to the left. Obviously this was set up by his best friend to get the chance to sit next to a real idol. Not that Ishi cared since he already got to sit next to that girl in class all day.

However, that boy wasn’t making the most of it. He was way too engrossed on the screen to care about anything around him. Perhaps he shouldn’t have chosen something he’d be seriously into as the film of choice. Though the logic made sense. Plenty of boy love the idea of a date while watching a horror flick. That way, when the girls got a little scared, they could grab their arm. It made someone feel good about themselves to feel like they’re protecting someone. As well as having someone you like touching you.

That plan didn’t seem to be working if his friend wanted Rinse to hold his arm. From the looks of it, she didn’t seem to care all that much film either. He wondered what was going on in the mind of that girl, considering her work as an idol. Bright and cheerful seemed more up her alley.

While thinking of the idea, Ishi felt something latch onto his arm. This movie may not have been scaring him, but this touch gave him a bit of a jolt as he quickly turn to look at what caused it. Fortunately, it was only Youna grabbing onto him from being to frightened. He breathed a sigh of relief this wasn’t something more serious.

So this is what so many boys his age were looking forward to? Well, he couldn’t say that he hated the experience. This girl’s hands were so soft up against his skin. Despite holding on for dear life, there was a gentle nature to her touch. Her shivers were like a massage to his biceps...

He cursed himself for getting lost in his thoughts about her. This was getting to be a distraction from trying to watch this movie.

“Hey.” He whispered to her and she turned to look at him. “I know this is a scary movie, but it’s kind of hard to watch if you’re going to be holding me like that.”

“Holding you?” Youna looked down to where her hands were, which were still latched onto him. The girl’s face steadily grew bright red as her mind came to the realization of what she was doing. Her cheeks burned like the sun as she let go and immediately leaned away from him. “I-I’m so sorry!”

“Shhh!” Otoya shushed her as this took away from his immersion. Her outburst was much too loud, and the high school girl was beyond embarrassed with the scene she just caused. So much so, that she was upset with how stupid she could be. As a result, she got up from her seat and made a beeline for the exit.

“Ah great…” He muttered to himself. This turned out to be a lot worse than he wanted it to be. “I’m going to check to make sure she’s okay.” Ishi informed his friend before also getting up and leaving. This movie wasn’t something he cared for, so missing out wasn’t a big deal.

Rinse took note of his exit. Just what was up with this boy and that girl? Could simple and normal looking girl really grab his attention that hard? What was it about her that made him do all these things?

“There you are.” It didn’t take much effort for Ishi to find Youna. She was only just sitting at one of the benches where people wait for their movies to begin. “We were worried that you might’ve left the building.”

“I’m sorry.” She had her head hanging out in shame. “I made a real fool of myself, didn’t I?”

“Yeah.” He didn’t even attempt to sugar coat it. “That was pretty silly, but it’s not like anyone really cares about it.” Ishi sat down besides her and leaned back to relax.

“I’m sorry you’re missing the movie because of me.” She apologized again. All those sorry’s were getting a little bit on his nerves.

“It’s no big deal. Just take it as my excuse to get out of that place.” It was a really boring film to him, so getting some fresh air away from that stuffy theater was a lot more enjoyable. “Should be done in 20 minutes, so guess we’ll just wait until it’s finished.” At this point, even the ending wasn’t enough to entice him to continue. He’d just go online and read the spoilers.

After that they fell silent. He already wasn’t the type to continue to the conversation. So if she wanted them to continue talking, Youna knew she had to be the one to speak up. Unfortunately, she was the type too shy to want to say anything. This meant her attempts to start a discussion was rather awkward.

“Why aren’t we friends?” Perhaps a different person might’ve worded that differently.

“Huh?” Her question came out of left field for him.

“I mean…” She was already messing up her words trying to convey her feelings. “We’ve known each other a long… A while now. Most people usually consider that some type of friendship. Or I guess we’re just acquaintances.” The more she spoke, the more the girl just wanted to swivel up and disappear from life.

“That’s the word I’d say to describe it.” He didn’t care about how badly she muffed up there. “But you are right, we’ve known each other since we were first years. In fact, you’ve been in my class every year.” Not even Otoya could say he had that chance with him. There was a gap in their second year.

He knew that this girl somewhat lied when Rinse asked them about their relationship. They had talked with each other, but she did point out that it ‘wasn’t like that’, in terms of how much they were talking in front of the idol. There wasn’t anything deep between them, just some random small talk that Ishi came used to during their second year. “But it’s not like I make friends with anyone.”

That was also the truth. Anyone would know that if they went to their school. Youna of all people should be aware of that. “I guess you could say I tolerate Otoya. And I certainly try my best to tolerate Hattori.” Right, because if he truly disliked either of them, then he’d make a much better attempt to avoid them both. Actually, if he wanted to, then he could turn up his meanness. That would be a good way to get people to really hate him. A lot more than the simple disdain received.

But the reality was that he didn’t hate anyone. Sure, there was the disdain of youth he held on everyone including himself. But it’s not as if everyone stays this age forever, and he certainly never made it personal.

“Then what do you think about me?” She asked.

“I guess you could say I tolerate you the best.” Off all the people surrounding him, she certainly didn’t annoy him. Well, she was a bit of a hassle with some of the things she worried over. But at least he didn’t consider her to be a fake person in any manner. Not after all these years.

“Really?” She was surprised to hear him admit such a thing. “You don’t hate me?”

“Hate you?” That was a strong word to use coming from her. “Oh, you must think I’m still mad about the whole class rep ordeal.” Back then, he was pretty upset in losing in a unanimous decision against her. Not even his best friend voted for him back then.

“Huh?” At first, she seemed perplex about what he said, but soon accepted the answer. “Right, that’s what I’m worried about.”

“Nah, everyone made their choice.” After all, his brashness must’ve turned off a lot of people compared to her soft and gentle nature. “I certainly wouldn’t hold it against you.”

“Yeah… I guess I was worried about nothing then.” She paused and looked at the clock. The movie was about to end and there would be a sea of people coming out soon. When Otoya and Rinse found them, this little bit of alone time would be over. That meant she wouldn’t be able to ask what she really wanted to say. “I… Had a fun time with you… I mean, with all of you.” Youna spoke up, her voice shaky. “Thanks for inviting me.”

“No problem.” He shook it off. “You were the only other person I could think of inviting anyway.”

“Well, I wouldn’t mind if you invited me again.” She turned away from him, her voice trailing off at the end of sentences. “Because… I’d like to be your friend…”

“Friends? With me?” Ishi thought himself to be the absolute worst person to want to be friends with. Not to mention he was cursing how bad he was at getting people to leave him alone. “Be my guest, Youna.”

“Did you just-”

“I call people by their first name if they’re considered friends.” He responded. “That’s a perfectly normal thing to do.”

“Right.” She nervously twirled her braided hair from the anxiety of what she was to say next. “I hope we can see each other again soon then... Ishi.”

55