Unfun Raising
1.4k 5 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The matter of raising money was simple. All they had to do was beg for it in front of the school. That’s how Ishi saw them doing it, but Rinse was more of a glass-half full type of gal. She would call this more as a fundraising campaign.

Though it didn’t hurt to add in some of her charm into the sales pitch. Which ended up being her wearing one of her many idol costumes while they handed out fliers to those passing by. This cute outfit was decked out with many frills along the skirt section. The blue matching her hair added onto the branded look she had built up over her career.

“I hope you don’t mind.” She said when they had a moment’s reprieve. “But I invited Chiana to help us out too.”

“You really should consult me on those type of things.” He did mind. However, it wasn’t because he was against the idea of another idol helping them. Rather, that issue arose because of the specific idol she was referring to. Knowing her identity, the boy would’ve assumed she’d reject the request since the real girl was still here at school. The fact that Rinse was telling him this now meant it was accepted instead.

“Come on, I’m sure you don’t want to spend all day outside trying to earn some money.” She replied, unaware of his true reasons. “And it’s her sister’s last year here. I’m certain Chinae would really appreciate it, even if she won’t admit it.”

“You have no idea.” He muttered. Why would that girl accept? Perhaps she did care more for Rinse than he was expecting. After all, he hadn’t seen their relationship in action beyond greeting the other.

Heya you two!” While they were talking, the subject of their conversation arrived. “So, what do you want me to do?” She was also wearing a stylish idol costume to stand with them. It was pink, and complete not what he thought the real girl would ever wear in public were they to know her idenity. Ishi was shocked that Chinae had no shame in doing this, but then again, this wasn’t exactly her doing it.

“Just hand out these fliers, and ask if they’d be willing to donate for our class.” He gave her roughly half his own stack. “Even if its just spare yen, that’d be great.” Judging from the expenses of both their ideas, he believed it was going to be one of the more costly events for the day. A lot of singers applied for the talent show, so they’d need the equipment for speakers and lighting. Things like that would be rented to save on costs.

Meanwhile, his game show event was going to mainly require volunteers to set things up. The cost wasn’t high, but materials for the stage weren’t free either. “Did your sister tell you what we were raising money for?” He was curious on how she’d answer. Obviously this girl already knew about their plans, but her answers was what he was interested in. Would she play an act and tell them what she believed a real Chiana would say, or perhaps Chinae’s true self would come out.

“I thought the talent show was a wonderful idea.” She told them. “Of course Rinse would come up with something like that.” Unsurprisingly there was a heap of praise thrown on the girl. It was most likely genuine, since she was friendly with her idol co-worker.

“You don’t have to flatter me.” Rinse giggled, pleased with herself. “What about Ishi’s idea? It’s kind of weird coming from him, don’t you think?”

“How is it weird?” He took offense to the apparent insult. Whether it was targeted towards him or the idea itself, he had no clue, nor did he care.

“If what my sister’s said was true, then it’s because it doesn’t fit you.” Chiana explained her position. “You don’t seem interested in romance at all.” That much was true. Ishi had disdain for the love between teenagers, especially those of high school sweet hearts. He believed it to be fleeting, a short period of time that many overvalued. It wasn’t as if most love during this time was real. Nor did it last into adulthood the majority of the time.

“I simply came up with something that most students would enjoy.” He responded. “Let’s be real, since voting is done by them. There’s going to be people up there that others think should be together.” Ironically, despite not caring for teenage romance, that was something he was guilty of. Since he didn’t think it mattered once they became adults, the boy figured that boys and girls shouldn’t be wasting their time with hesitation on a confession.

“Or maybe you want to be voted on yourself.” Rinse teased. There was a prize to winning. That being the contestant gets to go on a date with the person that chose them. “Maybe there’s a girl you want to have a shot with?” There was one that she wanted, but it was impossible to occur.

“No one comes to mind.” He replied. And while he was a potential candidate, Ishi was certain he wouldn’t get the attention from the rest of the students. “I’m sure a lot of people are doing to be picking you to be the maiden that boys are going to compete for.”

“I really don’t want to steal all the fun, so I think I’ll just politely decline.” She didn’t figure he’d be a part of it anyway. Not that any of them knew who would end up being chosen. Since the teachers would be the only ones who knew about the results. No one else was going to be aware until the festival. Even at that, the contestants would also be made unaware of who they’d be competing for until after a winner was announced.

As they chatted, people came and went while they promoted their fundraiser. They were a lot more popular than he expected, but the boy really shouldn’t be surprised. There were two idols standing besides him, which lead to a lot of people to surround them and pledge a little bit of cash.

“At this rate, I don’t think I need to be here.” He commented as the last fliers were being handed out. There were many promises of money to be sent their way in the days leading up to the big event. “Maybe I’ll just leave early.”

“Oh no you don’t.” She grabbed him by the collar. “This is your responsibility, so you’re sticking with me the whole time.” He groaned in disappointment. This girl was getting to be a major pain in his neck. Both figuratively, and literally in this moment.

“Yeah, you should be more excited for your last culture festival.” Chiana giggled, which irritated him. There was no way the real Chinae cared about this event. That girl was so detached from the others, that certainly she’d just spend the day in the back of the school. “It’s a shame that I can’t come to see her there. Just too busy with work and all that.”

“That really is a shame.” Said Rinse. “I was hoping to invite you to perform at the talent show. It’d be great for exposure.”

“I’m not too worried about that.” She checked her watch. It seemed that there was something important for the girl to do, but she didn’t want to leave too early. “Are we going to be done here soon?”

“We’re just about wrapped up.” He answered. “If you’re in a hurry, go ahead and leave without us.” That was the out he was giving her. Whatever she needed to do, he didn’t care. However, being rid of her would just about make his day. Unfortunately, her departure was going to be delayed with the arrival of someone else.

“Ishi!” It was Koto looking for him. The boy ran up to them out-of-breath. “Please, you gotta help me.”

“If it’s about the play, just tell them you don’t want to play Juliet.” He quickly responded. “And if it’s really that big of a deal to them, then ask your teacher to not allow it.” There had to be a rule about participation, right? “I’m going to be graduating after this year, and you still got a couple left. You need to be able to stand up for yourself without me.”

“Even though he’s being harsh about it, he’s also kind of right.” Rinse backed him up. “I’m sure there’s someone who wants to play the role.” Being able to play Juliet was a coveted role. First years were the ones responsible for the theatrical performance to be held for the parents. Ishi recalled that he ended up playing one of the major roles of a Shakespearean play, though that was only due to the fact that the original chickened out. What was the role again? The name was Petruchio, that’s for certain.

“Noro, there you are again.” Just as the last time, it was Seyuki running after him. “We were just about to practice some lines, then they showed you your dress. Why’d you run away? It was so pretty.”

“Come on, just tell her.” Ishi muttered through his teeth. The girl took him by the arm and began to pull him away from the group.

“Wait.” Koto spoke firmly, and dug his feet to the ground. It would’ve looked like one of those cool moments when someone gains their conviction and stops the other person in their tracks. Unfortunately, she didn’t hear him, and the small boy was no match for her strength either. So what ended up happening was she dragged him along on the ground. “W-wait… Wait!”

“Can you please Stop!?” Ishi yelled out, which finally ended this ridiculous display. He had on the same look as he did that night at the beach when he got angry. “Just listen to what my cousin has to say.”

“Hmm?” She looked with a confused face at Koto. “What do you need?”

“…” Now that everyone was looking at him, he was getting shy. “I… Don’t…” His voice was quiet now, and each word struggled to leave his mouth.

“Don’t worry.” Rinse whispered words of encourage to him. “Just take your time.”

“Yeah, you can do it.” Chiana also cheered him on. Getting the support from not one, but two idols filled him with the energy he needed to say what needed to be said.

“I… Don’t want to be Juliet!” He finally spoke up. “I know that I look like a girl, but I’m a boy. I don’t want to wear a dress, or to put on makeup. I want to be cool and be in one of the sword fights, or even be Romeo.”

“You really don’t want to play Juliet?” She no longer had that joyful attitude. “I see… It’s okay.” Seyuki was accepting of his feelings, but didn’t like it either. “Then… I won’t be able to play Romeo then…” Tears began to run down her face.

“Eh!?” Koto didn’t want this to be the result of standing up for himself. The boy had only been at this school for a week, and already he made a girl cry. “W-w-w-what do y-you mean?”

“Probably because there aren’t going to be any girls that want to play opposite her.” Ishi deduced. “And that the other boys don’t want to play Juliet either.”

“I really wanted to be in the play, but everyone said that I could only do Romeo, or no one else.” She said. “So I guess if you’re not going to do it, then I’ll just work backstage.”

“That won’t do at all.” Koto changed his mind quickly, with the same level of determination as before. “This is a special play for all of us, and it’d be a shame if you missed out on such a precious memory.” He took her by the hands to make a vow. “I’ll play Juliet, and I’ll even wear a dress. Now come on, let’s go practice.” The pair ran off, which caused Ishi to face palm in the most disappointed fashion.

“That idiot.” There was nearly no point in him begging for their help if they ended up back at square one. “He really fell for a girl’s tears?”

“I think she was being genuine.” Chiana responded. Since there was no reason for her to speak up there, he could determine that it was Chinae speaking on this case.

“I agree with that.” Though he didn’t need her words to come to that conclusion. “But there was a better way. Oh well, looks like I’ll have to get involved anyway.”

“I thought you said he needed to be able to stand up for himself?” Asked Rinse.

“Turns out that these first years need a little lesson from a third year.” He replied. “And I’m sure it’ll turn out to be a pleasant surprise to those two.”

36