Conceding for Love
1.4k 10 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So repeat again why exactly am I one of the contestants?” Ishi asked as the pair headed backstage. He had never once considered the possibility that he’d be one of the people voted in regardless of position. After all, the boy wasn’t popular in terms of being well-liked. So why would so many people want to vote for him?

“Well, if you’re wondering why the students chose you...” Otoya explained to him that a lot of people believed it would’ve been interesting to see him in such a situation. Unknown to them, a lot of individuals were like Rinse and wanted to find out. The boy was already regretting being the one to come up with this idea. Maybe they really should’ve just made a bland cafe so he wouldn’t have to be on stage like this.

This was going to be rather bothersome, but at least he wouldn’t have to worry about winning the event. Unlike the sports festival, which didn’t matter in his eyes anyway, this one was only for pride and a potential date. Since Ishi didn’t want to chase teenage girls for love, he figured that he could just do whatever while competing. Nothing he would do would necessarily be for the sake of winning, whatever that would entail.

“Hello.” He greeted the other two boys would be his competition. One was a popular second year and the other was a first year that he didn’t know much about. Given his composure, he was also likely popular with the girls in his class. Depending on whoever this mystery girl was, he’d be likely to be punching above his weight class.

“Wow, so this is Ishi Hirose.” The younger one said after they exchanged handshakes.

“Oh yeah, this should really be interesting.” His reputation preceded him as neither of those boys hid their curiosity from him. That only irritated him even more, since that meant that the audience were going to be listening in closely to each and every one of his answers to whatever questions would be asked.

“Anyway.” Ishi ignored the pair and returned his attention back to Otoya. “Is the girl already here?”

“Oh yeah, I already prepped her for this.” Now the only thing left was for the boys to take their seats, and soon the curtains raised to begin this game. There was a massive crowd already standing and watching them. “Welcome everyone!”

Otoya was already a master at being an excellent game show host. He got the audience fired up for a good show and introduced each person in a private manner. “Our lovely lady tonight might have some bite to her, or maybe not. Perhaps her hard shell hides a veil of innocence?” That was an interesting way to put someone, Ishi thought. If those were his words, then that meant he didn’t know that girl very well.

The introductions continued until it landed onto Ishi, who was considered the third contestant. “You might think he’s a cold person, and you’d be right. I’d like to call it a part of his charm.” Is that really what that boy thought of him? Eh, he could live with that. “And now, let’s the game begin!”

This little game show was a lot more simplified compared to the real deal. After all, they were only high school students creating a cheap intimation of a large television show production. Though the concept was practically the same with the mystery girl being the one to ask questions. They were separated by her with a thin wall, with only their silhouettes to work on for appearances.

“So, are you happy to be on the show?” The girl asked them. Her voice was modified from the microphone so that they wouldn’t be able to determine who she was. That was smart, and he believed that the same would be done for the boys with these headsets they were given.

“Of course I am.” They were ordered by their ages, so the first year went first. “I’m really excited to see the crowd from up here.” Ishi tried to understand this first question she decided to lead them off with. What was she seeking asking something like this?

“I’m also really glad to be here.” The second one answered. “Because, I think it’d be really nice to have a date with a real pretty girl.” Ishi chuckled, they hadn’t even seen her and the compliments were already out.

“And what does our third contestant have to say?” Otoya asked, doing his best imitation of a game show host. “Are you also happy to be on stage here?”

“Can’t say that I am.” Ishi answered honestly. The other two were also answering honestly, but he didn’t agree with them. The crowd would’ve gasped in surprise from this revelation if it wasn’t for the fact that they knew who he was. Key member of this audience also included Rinse and Youna who had finished up their cafe job to go and watch the game their class created.

“Hehe, this is all going according to plan.” She giggled to herself. By the way, this wasn’t her plan at all, but this opportunity was amazing for her. Now there was nowhere for him to run, so he’d be forced to answer these romantic questions. In front of the entire school, no less.

“...Okay.” The girl finally spoke after a short pause. “Then, in hypothetical situation where you had a crush on a girl, what would you do?”

“I would send them a letter to their locker and confess to them at the back of the school.” That was the first answer.

“The same thing, but on the roof instead.” The second year said. Of course those were perfectly normal responses. If one wanted to convey their feelings, then they’d want to put it at a romantic spot for a maximum chance for success.

“I’ve never had a crush on anyone before.” Ishi started off on his answer. Rinse paid close attention to his words, surely there had to be something he wasn’t so sure on. What would he do if he had romantic feelings for someone? “I guess I’d just ask them out on a date.” That was all he said, which felt a bit unfinished to the crowd who waited patiently for him to continue.

“And?” The girl beckoned him for more. “Any special place you’d confess at? Or somewhere you’d take them for that date?”

“The location of a confession is meaningless.” He responded. “And I don’t like hanging out in public, so where ever she’d like to go is fine with me.” He figured that the other boys would take their crushes to a nice restaurant or to the movies. Which is what they said when he gave them the floor to speak.

Those other two were angels compared to how Ishi was answering. He was certain that this girl was going to chose between those two and he’d be able to move on with his life. And so, this line of questioning continued on.

Meanwhile, the girls out in the crowd watched intently at this game show. It really was very engrossing so there was no wonder that it was popular with their parents. The tension was building as they pondered on who was going to be the one chosen.

The one sweating the most over this was Youna, because Ishi was one of the people on stage right now. She worried over what might happen if he was the one selected, even if unlikely. What would he do when his eyes laid onto that girl? She was rather pretty, even if a bit lonely. Perhaps he might fall in love right there in front of all of them. Now that would really hit her in the heart.

Next to her, Rinse was only caring about what Ishi had to say. The other two boys were practically filler for her to impatiently wait through for him to begin. Why did he have to be the last one to speak, she lamented. So far for her, he hadn’t missed a step in answering the questions. He also seemed to be a rather comfortable person on stage despite his disdain for it. Probably because he wasn’t shy, but rather indifferent about these things.

“What would you say is your romantic experience?” The girl asked. There was something off about her tone that Ishi picked up on despite the voice changer. It was that she didn’t sound like she wanted to be here. Her questions were absurdly basic, which prompted rather basic responses from him and his competitors. Her response to their answers also sounded rather indifferent, unless it was his. Then she seemed more interested in what he had to say, probably because they were contrasted to the more pleasing words of the other boys.

“I’m only a first year, so it’s nothing in depth beyond some hand holding and light kisses.”

“I’ve had some girls confess to me, and gone on plenty of dates.” The second year bragged. “But I also don’t kiss and tell.” Finally, the question landed on Ishi, who only had one answer that needed to be said.

“Despite being a third year, I have absolutely no experience in the ways of romance.” He spoke without a hint of shame. “My lips have never graced another girl’s nor have I held someone’s hand in that wholesome manner.” Rinse was stunned seeing how he just admitted that to the entire audience. There were a few laughs and snickers from the crowd directed towards him. So this really was who he was, a boy that didn’t hide much, if anything, regardless of what others thought of him.

“Really?” The girl didn’t believe him at first. “You’re nearly an adult and you haven’t even done basic romantic stuff? I doubt you’re as pure as you put yourself out to be, or are you just really ugly?”

“I definitely wouldn’t say I’m ugly.” He replied. “If there’s one thing I know about the girls at this school. It’s that I’m one of the most handsome boys here.”

Just wondering, but what do people think Ryugi and Chinae look like.

36