Ch 32 Folk Tales*
1.2k 2 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

You woke up screaming hoarsely, your throat a burst of pain.

Eyes wild, you looked around into the darkness; your hand reached for the dex and triggered the light. Instantly the beam shot into the dark, and you used it to scramble to turn on the lights.

A harsh white glow blinded you, leaving you to wince and cover your eyes.

The room was empty save yourself.

Grey concrete walls, chains on one side, hoops on another. A box. An empty cage.

You were alone.

A deep breath. Your heart was pounding in your chest, you were drenched in sweat head to toe, the bed uncomfortably damp, your breathing heavy and laboured as if you'd just ran a marathon. Your body felt like it was just about ready to jump and make a run for it towards the door.

What... What had you been dreaming about? What sort of nightmare had made you jump like that? Your throat ached, you'd been screaming?

Only black, panic, fear? Your brain fumbled through an attempt to recall anything else. You forced yourself to sit and think as you calmed down. But like sand slipping between your fingers, you felt the memory escaping from your grasp until there was nothing else you could clutch.

A groan escaped dry lips. You could feel the shiver of the sweat cooling you off, and you moved to the shower while dropping one of the spare towels on the bed so it'd suck up some of the sweat.

What time was it? You hadn't cared to check, you just closed the glass door and turned on the water. Your head pressed against the cool tile, barely feeling the heat as you let it wash over you. There was barely any energy in you. It was like trying to light something when there was no fuel- your body craved energy, but it would have to wait until afterwards.

Closing your eyes, you stood there for long enough your throat had stopped hurting. It would be only then that you'd turn off the water and step out.

Caring little to dry yourself more than the bare minimum, you pulled out the Pokedex to check. It was three in the morning.

And you had mail.

Empty eyes coursed through your inbox. Kat confirmed Tomas was fine, and that they wanted to hit the road tomorrow. She'd sent that roughly at half-past five yesterday. Had you been asleep all this time? You vaguely remembered recalling Diane and Monica before just collapsing completely after the aborted attempt to take a nap.

You'd been alone for hours.

You were alone.

It was fuzzy- you realized that not once had you slept on your own since coming to this world. If not for the others in the group it'd be Monica, and if not her it would be Diane. Always someone nearby, always someone there almost within arms' reach.

Not tonight.

The first night truly feeling like you were on your own, and you'd had a nightmare as if you were some bumbling kid again. The notion brought back memories of your first night in that little village, the city kid terrified of every noise that came from the woods and the house, too scared to sleep, fearful of the terrors that awaited in the dark.

Now, one of those terrors was held within a simple spherical device inside your backpack.

Monica...

Her face flashed through your mind's eyes, her face drenched in blood, her hands holding a severed limb. You knew the piece of meat had belonged to someone. Alice had called them by name too. But for the life of you, nothing specific came to mind. Only a blank.

A grimace. You collapsed onto the bed, feeling your chest wracked with a cold chill that clawed into you and had nothing to do with the little remaining humidity upon your skin. Deep breaths- you pushed yourself to look at the other message while fighting against the discomfort.

Felix. The dex's screen shone against your face as you read what felt like a hastily worded response.

It is unfortunate things went down like that.

I truly hope this did not impact tamer Tomas too harshly.

Regarding the acquisition method specifically. It is a rather interesting thing to hear of a tamer gaining hold of a willing succubus by specifically not taming her. Excuse me if the tone might seem perhaps disrespectful, but it is something that I would be greatly interested in hearing more of if you wouldn't mind.

Would you happen to be available to make a call? Don't worry, I will cover the costs.

I await confirmation of when might be your best moment. Best of luck.

Felix.

The laugh that left your lips was hollow, a short push to make a sound.

You closed your eyes.

Why the fuck not. You sent the reply.

Today I will be taking to the road. So long as the call can be done before 10am?

Though I'm not familiar with the devices that'd allow for a "call" you mentioned.

And just like that, you leaned back to the bed, closing your eyes and taking several more breaths as the chaos inside your chest was finally calming down.

Maybe you should've been more-

Your Pokedex vibrated. Your eyes opened.

8am sound good?

Who was awake at this hour? You just sent a confirmation. Looking at the roof of the room, you tried to figure out what you should do for the next four hours. You should probably sleep, but the thought sent a twisting gut-wrenching dread through you. You needed something else, you needed coffee.

A check of your dex funds- you had enough, it'd cost two meals, but you'd find a way to compensate. You just needed something that didn't taste like cardboard.

Dressing up, you'd been just about to step outside when your eyes glanced at the pokeballs. Four pokegirls contained within. Who would you bring? No, wrong question, you shook your head; it was three in the morning, and they were asleep. Except Kiara- the Succubus was able to function with just two hours of sleep.

Did she...?

No, you left, no sense in bringing THAT mess out when you were feeling like you were too tired to handle even yourself. You remembered the route to the centre cafeteria. But stopped yourself as you heard... voices. There was a dim light and the lilt of laughter. It made you slow down and look through the door. Five nurses were there, three pink hair, one blue, one black. They all wore the same uniform. They were seated around one of the tables, casually talking to one another.

"Can I help you, sir?"

The voice didn't make you scream so much as it made you spin and tumble. Your back slammed against the partially open door and that pushed it all the way. You stumbled back, falling to the floor and looking at the source of the voice. A brown-haired nurse, she was rather short, and had been carrying a tray with what looked like beverages.

"Sorry, sorry," you muttered, moving to try and stand up.

A part of strong hands helped you before you could even finish the movement, and your eyes turned to the blue-haired nurse who'd practically lifted you to your feet. "Are you all right, sir?" She asked, her hand pressed slightly against your chest.

You recoiled away from her touch as soon as you'd seen the glow. "I'm... fine. Thank you," you muttered, realizing a moment later what you'd done and mentally chastising yourself as you saw their confused expressions. "It's nothing, I just stumbled. Sorry for interrupting your break."

Hurrying to leave before anything else could be said, you'd been about to return to your room when you stopped right at the door. What were you meant to do? Who were you going to pull out? Another hollow laughter, you just entered and closed the door behind you. Your eyes looked at the pokeballs.

Slowly, you moved onto the bed. Turning the lights off.

It felt like you'd only blinked by the time your dex was buzzing away.

7am.

You were more tired than before, somehow.

Forcing yourself up, you pushed yourself. Time to move. You didn't feel the need to shower, you just grabbed Diane's pokeball and released her. She appeared on the floor, asleep. You grimaced a little, approaching and laying a hand on her shoulder. "Wake up," you spoke softly.

She did a sharp intake of air, and she opened her eyes, looking around. "Master?"

"It's early morning, I have a call to make and we're going to need to hit the road later."

"Master," she spoke as she looked at you with a slight frown. "Are... you alright?"

You figured you looked like death warmed over. "Been better," you replied with a slight shrug. "We need to get moving, get the others to help. I'm going to get something to eat before the call."

"Call?"

"With the Felix fellow," you replied.

Diane looked at you, hesitating before you turned to leave, only stopping as you felt her hand grasping your own. "Master," she spoke, her eyes widened a little. "Your adrenaline is-"

"I had some nightmares, Diane," you interrupted, pulling your hand out of her grasp. "That's all. I'll get over it." A pause as you watch her linger for a moment. "Just be sure to be ready to hit the road at 10, I'll keep the door unlocked in case you need anything."

"Yes... Master..." You heard her mutter as you stepped outside.

Ignoring the pang, you moved towards the cafeteria, empty this time. With your dex, you purchased some caffeine and some actual pastries. They tasted bland, and the coffee was crap. You got yourself another two cups, whatever got the job done. You headed towards the entrance, spotting the receptionist as she put up the fake customer-service smile. "Good day, sir. How may I be of help?"

"I have a call in a bit?" You asked. "I've never had one, where are the phones?"

"The call booths are down to the left." She pointed towards the side. "Is the call pre-paid?"

"By them, yeah."

"Ah, then could you please give me your dex, sir?" She took it, nodding a little before returning it. "You have a call scheduled in ten minutes, booth #02."

"Thanks."

You followed the instructions and found a room with what looked like photo booths. Just one large box with a door, a three people bench-chair, and a computer screen. You entered and heard the hiss of the door when it closed. Suddenly there was no sound at all. Soundproof? You guessed that made sense.

The screen turned on and asked you to deposit your dex in a metallic pocket in front of the screen. The system proceeded to greet you by name and... nothing. It just stayed there, the screen going black with a small text of "waiting" on the lower right corner. 

You saw your reflection on the screen. There were bags under your eyes, your hair was a bit on the deeper edge of messy, your cheeks slightly pale. You didn't look back, but you definitely looked like you'd had to spend three days straight without sleep trying to grade your student's exam on time.

Before you could attempt to hastily fix your looks at least a little, the screen lit up.

2fGK03m.png

"Hello." You straightened up. "Are you... Felix?"

"No," the woman spoke. "I am his alpha, Ysolda, Felix wasn't able to make it to the call, so I will be here in his stead."

"Ok," you shrugged a little.

Her brow creased ever so slightly. "Do you not care?"

"Should I?"

"Not a ruler, then," she nodded.

"A ruler?" You frowned.

"Master Felix had some questions for you." Ignoring your question entirely. "First, have you had the chance to tame and bond the Succubus or have you continued keeping her devoid of taming from yourself?"

"I've tamed her once so far," you said.

"Anything worth noting of the event? Did she appear to enjoy it? Any odd behaviour?" She kept an impassive tone as she spoke.

A slight sensation of wanting to roll your eyes passed through you, but you held back. "We passed out."

That cracked her face of impassivity. "We? Plural?" The pokegirl leaned marginally forwards. "Care to elaborate?"

"I don't really want to share the details," you answered back. "I had my girls help work her up, things got intense, I passed out for several hours, she did for several minutes."

"I take it she proceeded to exhaust your harem before exhausting you once you woke."

"It'd have gone against the rules. She's not allowed to initiate," you replied.

The pokegirl tilted her head slightly. "What's stopping her? I doubt you would be able to, at least considering your harem composition. Unless you engaged in actual combat."

"She gave her word," you replied feeling what little patience you had dripping away.

"An honourable Succubus." She cracked a smirk ever so slightly. "Now that's an amusing concept."

Her words made you hesitate for a second. "What if she is?"

"Then you're not grasping the situation," she replied. "That Succubus likely has only agreed out of some sense of amusement. Once you stop being entertaining, she will just toy with you, the same way she had with the boy."

Your initial reaction to her statement would've been to call her out. But a part of you had to agree; Kiara was clearly strong enough she could beat your harem however she pleased. Why stick to any rules? You were mostly sure she could even get the paralysis collar removed if she wanted.

"What is power?" You asked the pokegirl at the other side of the screen.

That caught her a little off guard, and she frowned. "Power is the ability to have control over any situation. Be it through your own strength or through the people that form a part of the given circumstances." She leaned back, arms crossed. "What do you think having a relationship with power means, Rick?"

"I'm not sure," you replied honestly, you used your elbows against your legs to get a more comfortable position. "I think that there's no way to truly, fully, consider another's strength as your own. Not for any circumstances."

Your statement made Ysolda snort and roll her eyes. "Would you consider the power of having a thermometer applicable in any sense when what you need are pliers? 'Any circumstance' is not real."

"You're speaking of people as if they're tools."

"What else are they?" She countered. "The shy strategist has no use in a brawl, the brave meathead has no use in the command centre. The saint has no use when the time to slaughter is afoot, the wicked has no use when it is time to give charity." Ysolda frowned. "To recognise the tools that are necessary and how much power one has at any given situation is the mark of a ruler."

"Ruler." You latched onto the word. "You said I wasn't a ruler. Because I'd accepted talking to you?"

"Because you didn't care." The pokegirl leaned slightly forward. "What power do you hold over Kiara? What have you done that would make her your power?"

"Right now I'm not even sure I can trust-"

"Trusting is the mark of a fool. Control. Control is the mark of a ruler," she spoke with a tone that was almost like a bark. "Have you heard of the story of the Great Wolf Queen?"

You hesitated, not sure where this was leading to. "Can't say I have."

"It is from the dark times after the war. It's a story of the Great Wolf and how she became a tool for a meek human," she spoke with an almost detached tone of voice. "The Great Wolf Queen lived in a forest, all that approached would bow and pay tribute, or die. Hunters were also not allowed within her land, for all hunts were hers to make." Her head turned slightly, stretching her neck slightly. "The humans were troubled by this, for some of their goods would be lost as a tribute to the Wolf Queen. To say nothing that they could not hunt in her lands. They sent their mightiest, and each fell to the Queen's fangs. None could beat her, and none could convince her to stop either."

A pause as she made a dismissive gesture with her hand.

"The years passed, and a meek human male offered to make the Wolf Queen stop asking for tribute. The humans laughed him off but promised that were he to succeed, he would be paid handsomely. So the human went to the forest. With him, he carried but a meagre knife and matches." A smirk crossed her lips. "The Wolf Queen spotted the foolish boy, and demanded tribute. The boy agreed, but having nothing to offer, he instead promised he would cook for her. One hundred meals. The Queen was amused for she had never tasted anything but raw meat, and agreed."

There was a hint of something in her gaze as she said this.

"His meals were superb, she would bring him meat and from it, he would prepare exquisite dishes. The Wolf Queen came to enjoy them greatly. But time was finite, and within a hundred days, the boy packed up and left." A cruel laugh escaped her lips. "Oh how the Wolf Queen wept, fresh bloody meat no longer was to her enjoyment, too stale, too bland, too... raw. So she decided, she hunted the boy, sought him out, left her own forest to find him."

A distant look and a smirk- she looked at you.

"What do you think happened then?"

You frowned slightly at the question, scratching your chin. "She kidnapped him?"

"Ah, if only she could have." Ysolda leaned forward. "No, what she found was his corpse. The boy had come back and the humans, furious at not having stopped the Queen's tolls, stoned him to death. Want to guess what happened then?"

"She killed them."

"Every. Single. One." Her lips curled upwards. "And in doing so, she found the truth. The boy had lost his family to the cruelty of the humans and had sought revenge. Now. Consider this." She lowered her voice to a whisper. "Why didn't he ask for the Wolf Queen's help in this plan?"

This time you frowned, crossing your arms, leaning slightly back and furrowing your brow. A finger tapped your arm. "Because a hundred meals wouldn't be worth the effort," you muttered. "As tasty a meal they would've been, to slaughter all humans that paid tribute? It would've been a bad deal."

"And why did she slaughter them?" The pokegirl's eyes flashed as her smile widened.

Closing your eyes, you twisted your lips a little. "Because the boy's death meant a loss of all future meals. The Wolf Queen valued that more than all future tributes."

Ysolda burst into laughter, a howling sound that made shudders run down your spine. There was a flash of fangs as she smiled at the screen, gently crossing her arms as she calmed herself down. There was an orange glint within her eyes. "She killed them because they took prey that was hers."

"Then she was a fool," you said. "She lost both meals and tributes."

"A foolish inexperienced ruler." Amusement flashed through her features, a slight bow of her head. "And what would you have done had you been the Wolf? How would you have kept the boy and the tributes?"

"Well, if I'd been the Wolf Queen, the first thing I'd do is ask what the fuck happened to me," you commented with a loud snort. "And if I wanted to keep the boy, I'd just keep him."

"Ah." A little smirk. "And would that not mean you'd not follow your rules?" She caught the startled look in your eyes, smiling wider. "You see, Rick, rulers make the rules. It's in their name."

"But if people don't follow..."

"Then they didn't know how to make the right rules," she shrugged nonchalantly, and taking a glance down, she made a scoffing sound. You saw a burst of light and flames. "Ah, seems I lost the rest of Felix's questions for you. Oh well. They were boring anyway."

You had to blink a moment as you saw that.

"Well, be seeing you, Rick."

"Wait," you quickly spoke up. "I have a question."

Your words made her arch a brow, the silence the only prompt for you to continue.

"What would you have done had you been the boy?"

"The boy got exactly what he desired," she scoffed.

"No," you replied. "I meant what would you have done had you been the boy."

"Ah." Her face turned to amusement, and a soft chuckle followed. "I would've picked a better name than 'Ysolda'."

"Wh-"

Your words were cut off as the screen went black. You had to blink as you... sat there, trying to digest what she'd told you, looking at your face in the black screen's reflection and wondering what you could get out of the interaction. Your mind felt like it was trying to reach out at something that was barely outside your grasp.

Standing up, you were just about to leave when you noticed the dex screen was on with a notification. It had saved a copy of the conversation as a recording. Your eyes looked at that and you sat back down. Your fingers fiddled with the screen until you found the file and hit play. One half of the screen was Ysolda, the other yourself.

You truly looked like you'd gone through a week's worth of sleep deprivation.

Slowly, you watched it again. And noticed something.

How your gaze had sharpened when she'd asked you what you would've done had you been the one in the story. Was that a grin? You frowned slightly, as a new question was added to the top of the pile of questions that had been bubbling within you more and more.

Were you meant to be the boy?

Or the Wolf?

 


Dex Entry of the day: Neigix -- Original Image

faHCRwW.png


This might seem like it has been a small conversation, of little consequence, with small benefits, but I like to believe it's the turning point for Rick.

Maybe it was earlier though? We'll see.

Also sorry for the delay in posting, got caught up in some things.

Anyway, link to chapters 31-32-33 over at my Patreon.

33