Ch 52 On the road again*
834 3 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"This is really fucking annoying, you know? They could've at least designated a main road for this."

Kat growled as she looked upon the half-torn signpost that read 'Alazea' both on its arrow pointing rightwards, as well as the one pointing at the left. Underneath the name of the city there were some smaller names. You didn't pay much attention to that as you observed Tomas and Kat fiddling with their dexes.

"This... fuck," the young woman swore. "These maps are shit for this."

"Problems?" You quirked an amused brow.

"Just trying to figure out which village we should do the next pit stop at," the young woman grumbled. "Harnsey is two days down this path, and Dalelry is three days down this one. But the map doesn't really go into much detail. You'd think the league would've made better roads."

"You never build roads where there's no worth doing so," Mr. Gabriel snorted with a yawn. "Nothing wrong with some dirt either way, just take whichever, if we go any slower I'll start growing mould."

"Whatever, Harnsey it is."

"I think Dalelry would be better though, I think there's less of an incline even if it's a little longer."

"Harnsey it is, then," Kat reiterated. "I'll get Coco to carry gramps if he slows us too much."

"Over my dead body."

"Happy family moment aside, let's go to Dalelry," you commented with a deadpan. "The map might say it's two days to Harnsey, but we're already going slow enough."

"My point exactly, Harnsey is closer, that day's worth of walking distance is only going to be longer," the young woman replied. "And I am definitely not going to risk it."

"Risk it?"

"Look, the sooner the better, alright?" You frowned at the uncomfortable look Kat shot at Tomas before turning to follow the road to Harnsey village. "Either follow or get left behind."

"But-"

"The lass has spoken."

And with that said, the group began to move again. Kat had taken the lead, Tomas hurrying to catch up with her. You couldn't read lips, but you could more or less figure the young man was going to try and ask what was wrong. Not feeling particularly curious over what you could already take a wild guess at was going on, you turned to Mr. Gabriel. "You don't seem to be in a hurry to get to Ebony."

"We'll get there when we get there." He shrugged. "Not like there's a set date or anything." A laugh left his lips as he glanced at Tomas and Kat.

The young man appeared to be apologizing about something, but you ignored them, glancing back at Mr. Gabriel's grizzled grey hair. "And what's the offer anyway?"

"Offer? I overheard some rangers saying Ebony ranch had some recurring issues with workforce discipline. Thought I might as well show up and make an offer. Figure someone with my experience will do them well."

"You... you're joking."

"What's there to joke about?"

With your eyes shooting ahead to check whether either of the younger travel companions were paying attention, you turned your full attention to Mr. Gabriel. "Have you even sent them an email to check?"

The old man scoffed loudly at that. "When you look for work you need to hit the road, people can easily turn you down if you give them some scrap of paper. Make them look you in the eye I say."

"You can't be serious, that's not how things work anymore, Gabriel.”

"Says who? Have you tried?"

"I have and-"

"Where did you try?"

The question knocked the words right out of your mouth. This world was not like Earth. "Based on what did you come to think that was the best option?"

"My gut."

"You can't be serious."

"I am, do you have a better option?"

"Research? Ask around? Figure out what the options are?"

"That's nice, what then?"

A deeper scowl came to you. "What do you mean 'what then'? You make your choices based on what you think might work, keep a backup plan."

"Like we've been doing lately?" The laugh caused your step to falter.

"You could fail."

"And it could work out." A simple shrug followed. "I'm not some upstart brat thinking the world is waiting for me, I know what I want and I go for it. When your gut tells you to go, you need to go and stop thinking so much."

The proclamation brought about a queasy feeling within you and, a long pause followed, the crunch of dirt and rocks replacing the words while your eyes glanced about. "And what do you want?"

"I have a pretty young lady who won't leave my side, I figure that's as good an excuse as any to look for a place to settle down."

"It could not work out, when you get to Ebony."

"If it doesn't, then I'll try something else, but I doubt it will."

"Why?"

"Because those people at that ranch don't know what's coming."

That simple, that easy? The consideration made your jaw tighten somewhat. As you watched Mr. Gabriel chuckle and continue walking, you had to wonder about it, as the question that had been bothering you for weeks came back with a vengeance. What was it that you wanted to do? What surprised you was that the question didn't come alone this time.

It came with the weight of the occupied pokeballs on your waist, the weight of several lives that were connected to you. 

The walk would be quiet, the only movement you noticed throughout the day had been, for the most part, people who had been riding on carts being pulled by centaur-like pokegirls. Very few of them were even loaded, most being half empty or covered up with a tarp.

"I've been thinking about those." Kat pointed at the dust trail the last one left as they sped on ahead of your group. "Couldn't we make a cart and have our girls pull it?"

"Be my guest." You shrugged. "We'd need to either buy or make one. I'll be the first to say I had not looked into the cost of buying one, or where to get one, actually."

"I think we could make one."

"Doubtful," Tomas commented. "We'd need tools, and depending on how expensive things are, we might even need to chop down the tree to make the planks ourselves. Does anyone know whether that's legal?"

"Nothing's illegal unless they catch you," Mr. Gabriel laughed. "I've not seen one person being asked for a permit for their cart."

"I'd rather not get into trouble over something like that. Besides, how would we handle it once we split?"

"You'd keep the cart since you've got the horsegirl, duh."

"Her name's Magdalene."

"And she's not here right now, Tom, her feelings aren't going to get hurt over it."

"Kat, seriously?"

The blonde woman looked at her fellow former student with an expression that seemed half incredulous before looking around the group and grimacing. "Ok, that was a bit overboard, sorry. Things have been weird." A heavy sigh followed, then a grimace as she glanced at you, frowning slightly but quickly looking away.

The gesture caught your attention, but you let it slip, focusing on your meal.

However, it wouldn't be until the day after that she'd approach you.

"Rick, hey."

The words drew your attention from the inner musings you'd been running through as you walked. They made you quirk a brow and look at Kat as she had slowed down to move to the back of the group. Diane quietly slowed further, moving to trail behind you while the young blonde walked at your side.

"Yes?"

"I wanted to talk to, erm, Diane, for a minute, if you'd let me?"

The question was not one you expected. "Sure, I don't mind. Would you rather it be private, or...?"

"Definitely private."

"Well, all yours." You sped up to the head of the group, glancing over your shoulder as Kat waved at you in thanks. You opted to catch up with Tomas.

There was something almost enjoyable out of watching him squirm when he noticed your approach.

"...what is it?"

"Nothing, just giving Kat and Diane some privacy since they asked for it."

"Oh, it's the... monthly thing." He sighed. "Here's hoping the village has a general store."

Shrugging, you only glanced at the two, noting Diane had a rather serious expression as she nodded along at what Kat was telling her. It looked like her default "you have my attention" expression, though you noticed something else about her. Her shoulders were lowered, her head held a slight bow, and she was walking half a step behind Kat. It was strange- you hadn't seen her do that with you.

But more importantly, it reminded you of Raven.

The thought made you pause a little. "Tomas, what do you think about Raven?"

"Raven?"

"The Arachnae, white hair, quiet, she took Freya's Pokeball from your belt?"

"Oh!... Oh. I... think she's nice."

"Tomas, I wasn't asking whether you liked her, I want to hear what you saw about her, critically." 

"I am not interested in her." The young man squirmed, and you realized there was an intensity in your expression.

Mentally stepping back from the situation, you breathed in to calm yourself. "Not like that. I am having some issues, not sure I'm reading her correctly."

"What kind of issues?"

"It feels like Raven is intentionally avoiding being friendly or close," you commented. "I've been trying to think of some answer to that."

"Maybe she doesn't respect you." The words had come out of Tomas fast enough it almost seemed like he'd rehearsed it. Yet as soon as they'd been spoken, the young man hesitated and shrugged slightly. "Freya was pretty pissed, said that not even normal tamers did what you had done back then."

"You do realize that Raven was still feral 'back then', right?"

"I... sure, I just doubt she couldn't have discovered it on her own." A quick step ahead, a cough. "Even then, maybe it's just her culture, maybe tamers need to impress their pokegirls wherever she's coming from."

Nodding slightly, you thought back to after the incident with the thug fellow from whom you'd taken the elemental stone. It had been shortly after that that Raven had shown the first semblances of amiability. Maybe Tomas had a point? You nodded a second time, now with a bit more certainty- perhaps your former student might have had a bit of a point?

"Yo, Rick, Diane says she's cool with helping me with some issues, but that you'd have to give the go-ahead."

"Go ahead?" You glanced over your shoulder at the nurse pokegirl, who was keeping herself a step behind Kat and nodding slightly. "Go ahead to what?"

"Miss Catherine is requesting a slight hormonal alteration for reduced inconveniences while on the road," she said with a little nod. "It is a very standard procedure, it would only take an hour of my time, and Miss Catherine would only need to have it reapplied once a month."

You blinked as you processed the comment, then looked at the beaming Kat. "I'm... are you sure?"

"Hundred per cent, Diane reassured me that any possible side-effects would be minor at best, and if anything crops up, you're literally within a dozen meters most of the time."

"Diane?"

"Would you prefer for me to go into detail, Master? Miss Catherine had requested some privacy."

"Wait, what? I'd be your patient, what about doctor-client secrecy?"

"Master Rick owns me. Technically it would be him who would be doing the procedure, by using me as a tool to implement it." There was a definite smugness in her words as she said this, not that she was showing it openly. Her tone kept itself neutral, your only hint to her mood being the twitch in the corner of her lips.

"I swear to tits, if you ask her to go into detail, I will hate you forever."

You tried to force yourself to chuckle, only managing a half-smirk.

"Wouldn't Rick need a license to do this kind of thing?"

Diane hesitated, glancing at Tomas before bowing. "Master Rick would certainly need a license were he to open a business or have me do a more invasive procedure. As is, the procedure Miss Catherine is requesting is within the legally permitted ones for a nurse that has had the minimal required experience in a hospital, such as myself."

The answer made Tomas hesitate before frowning. "Is... this a standard thing?"

"I can reassure you it is a procedure I have done hundreds of times before on many human women in New Bark. Though I will not divulge further details unless my Master orders me to." Diane turned to look at you as she said this.

The look had a clear subtext- you knew Kat wanted it, but did you trust Diane? Feeling like you were being put on the spot, you turned back to look ahead on the road. "I'm fine with it so long as Kat is aware of the risks and consequences."

"Awesome. Period cramps, be ready to get kicked goodbye!"

Tomas tripped.

 


 

"So, meet time." You sat down on the mantle and looked at the four women currently present. Diane at your right, Monica at your left, Kiara and Rachel in front. "I want thoughts on possible good additions to the team."

"Additions to do... what? I'd recommend a sex-pet, I'm getting tired of being the cat's chew-toy."

"I was thinking someone to give us a broader range of combat possibilities. Make it so we can fight better."

"If I may, what would be the budget, Master?"

"I doubt we'll be able to aspire for anything other than the cheaper options."

Kiara burst out into laughter, the sound causing you to shoot her a glare. "What? The whole thing is pointless."

"Elaborate?"

"There's no money to choose. What point is there in even conversing this?"

"Knowing the preferences and thoughts would help me have a better perspective on things." A deep sigh followed. "Besides, each of you knows what you're good at and what you can do better than anyone else, so being aware of what might match that better could be useful."

"Well, for me? Get yourself some cute little thing that's durable enough she can survive the cat."

"Awesome, what about fighting power?"

"What about it? If you want us to be better at it you'd spend time training rather than teaching reading to a feralborn."

The words made you scowl, and your jaw tightened. Kiara leaned back, using her hands for support. A smirk came to her lips, and the way she pushed her chest upwards and gyrated her hips made you think of pinning her down. The desire was pushed back.

"I don't push for you to train in fighting while we're away from a city because that could mean one of you needing healing when a feral or some other danger shows up."

"You have a-"

"Yes, Kiara, thank you for your input," Diane cut her off. "Master and I talked over this and he decided it would be best if my abilities were kept at full capacity in case of an emergency, so any combat training we might do would have to be within its milder forms."

With a mild amusement at the annoyance in Kiara's face, you held back from being surprised at Diane's way of doing a proposition. Mild combat-related training. Fuck if you had ideas about that, but it did sound a hell of a lot better than "go at it until someone bleeds". It also very much appeared she'd done so as a way to pull rank on the infernal, so you weren't going to step in- not in front of the others at least.

"Diane, thoughts?"

"In the previous fight, it showed us we were very weak in long-range combat, especially against someone with aerial superiority." She glanced at Raven, then at Monica. "We would have had a better chance had it been in a forest, or with some way for either of our main fighters to gain altitude, but we were not prepared for being out in the open."

"We won anyway."

"And we just want to make sure we win consistently," you replied. "So, thoughts?"

"I'd need to know the list by heart or something, fuuuck that shit."

"Noted. I'm ordering you to learn the dex, all of you in fact."

"What!?"

Three pairs of eyes looked at you, startled. Monica was mostly glancing at each of the girls while her tail rubbed against your back.

"I might not be able to scan and tell you what you're up against. Having a better knowledge of the dex is a net gain since even if I did tell you what breed you're up against, I might not have the chance to give you too many details."

"What? What do I get out of this?"

"This is an order for the whole harem, I'll check with Diane what an acceptable learning rate might be and anyone who does worse than that rate will get incentivised to do better." Your words kept a coolly detached strictness to them, it earned narrowed eyes out of the Succubus.

But Raven bowed immediately. "I will put my best effort into it, Master Rick."

Nodding, you breathed in. "So, powers, if you had to choose, what kind of abilities would you be looking for? Or find desirable?"

"Get yourself a Dark Elf. Has long-range abilities and is fun." Kiara rolled her eyes. "Knew a few, they're great at bringing people down a peg or three."

"And they're infernal." The statement came with a hiss.

The Succubus' eyes narrowed at your alpha; the teasing edge of her poise was gone instantly, and a dangerous glint appeared in her eyes. "Problem?"

"None," you answered before Diane could utter a word, your statement making her turn her focus onto you. "I don't care about elemental limitations when we're talking about prospective additions to the team. Once we have a clearer picture we'll see what filters we put onto the results."

Kiara's lips thinned. "Peachy."

"Now, she suggested a Dark Elf, Diane, do you have any thoughts?"

There was a glare in your alpha's eyes up until she turned to glance your way, nodding once. "Maybe, would I be allowed to check the dex first, Master?"

"Sure."

Taking the dex out of your pocket, you tossed it at her. "Raven, thoughts?"

"I would be pleased with anyone Master Rick deems adequate."

"I was talking about preferences."

Raven bowed her head slightly. "Master Rick, I do not have any, any harem sister would be satisfactory."

Feeling as if you were trying to hammer your head against a brick wall, you tried to consider how to tear it down. You'd been waiting for an answer from the contact Felix had sent you, but you couldn't really keep sitting on your hands and waiting. Trust your gut, right? What would you do with a student you weren't able to figure out?

"Raven? Would you come with me for a second? I want to talk to you in private."

"Oooh, the spider is in trouble~."

Ignoring her, you gestured at Raven to follow you, and both of you walked towards the edge of the camp, far enough that the others couldn't listen in on the conversation. The arachnid had kept her head bowed and was looking at the ground, her steps measured and short. You could sense the tension, yet for all your efforts, nothing specific about her pose or steps appeared any different than normal.

Sitting down, you gestured at her to do the same. Raven carefully folded her skirt, moving to kneel in front of you, her hands demurely falling onto her lap. Red eyes glanced at you with a half-bowed head, but only briefly, and she focused on a spot on the ground right in front of you as she became perfectly still, like a doll.

"Raven, you don't need to be so formal, I just want to talk."

"Of course, Master Rick," she replied; her shoulders relaxed millimetrically, and she raised her gaze only to your chest.

Holding back from showing any negative emotions, you nodded and pretended that was perfectly normal and acceptable levels of relaxation. "I wanted to know if there's anything that's bothering you."

"No such thing, Master Rick."

"Raven, I'll... I'll be honest with you, I've noticed you're not uncomfortable, and I wanted to address the issue."

Instantly you knew you'd done something wrong- her shoulders rose, her face fell, and she bowed all the way to the ground, hands placed in front of her face and her whole body tense. "I listen, Master Rick."

It made you want to pull your hair out. A light groan left you. "Raven, please, calm down, I wanted to know whether you felt uncomfortable and why. You've been around enough to know I'm not that kind of tamer."

It took several long seconds of nervous silence before she relaxed, and her head rose ever so slightly, though her gaze dared not look any higher than the ground right in front of her. "I am sorry for displaying such shameful behaviour, Master Rick."

"Don't worry about it, Raven, I just want to know more about how I could make the environment a bit more welcoming?"

The Arachnae's lips tightened slightly as you said this, silver hair framing her constrained expression while she kept looking onto the dirt in front of you with those intense red eyes. You could practically hear the sound of the gears turning within her head. The Arachnae took a long moment of consideration in silence. Patiently, you sat and waited, not wanting to potentially mess this up any further.

"If I may be selfish in my request, I would wish to remain within my Pokeball while the others are being tamed."

Her words threw you off, and you were only able to blink and stare at her trembling fingers as she pressed them against the dirt in front of her knees. "I... that is perfectly reasonable, Raven, consider it done."

"Thank you, Master Rick." She bowed low.

"Could you share why it's uncomfortable for you?"

Her eyes slowly closed as she drew in a breath and sighed it outwards, her shoulders relaxing ever so slightly. "My previous owner, she... I had grown accustomed to it."

"Oh, it's the privacy? Would you rather the others not be present when it's your turn?"

"No! Of course not, it was only..."

"Yes?"

She composed herself, clearing her throat with a cough. "No, please excuse me, Master Rick, I do not mind my harem sisters participating."

"...ok then."

Frowning, you leaned slightly back, trying to read her as she bowed again.

"May I return to my weaving duties?"

The sigh was withheld, and you nodded slowly. "Go ahead."

"Thank you, Master Rick."

Watching her leave, you tried to piece things together. From the corner of your eye, you could see Kiara smirking broadly as she was looking at you, clearly amused by something. You doubted she would've heard the conversation; she was definitely too far away.

But at the same time, you felt like the mirth in that gaze was a sign you had, somehow, fucked up.

 


Dex Entry of the day: Dex Entry

vmtQBaF.png


Announcement
Final remake of the story is almost ready to start publishing. It will be posted over at my Patreon past mid-August, about a month in advance compared to everywhere else!
20