Chapter 14 – Eveningtown
123 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eveningtown was a small village, an hour by foot from Hallmark. 

It was a pleasant place, built next to a large lake and was used as a vacation location for the people of Hallmark.

Bonar's current mission was to escort Father Donan to the town and back safely. 

Bonar was now dressed in a leather armor, looking like many other adventurers.

His clothes were, of course, made from Jasmine's vines. An alraune had the ability to shapeshift to trick their enemies, so such changes in appearance were easy. The only thing was that Bonar had to see what other people were wearing to copy and imitate their clothes.

"So.. you're a father. How many children do you have?" Bonar asked on his mission to Eveningtown.

"I'm not that kind of father. I am a priest, meaning I can't get married. So I don't have children of my own. But as a priest, everyone is my children, so they call me father" Father Donan answered. 

"Oh... so you're like a stepfather, like my dad was to me!" Bonar nodded, pretending to understand. 

Father Donan nodded, sensing that this conversation would head nowhere. 

"Strange..." Father Donan said

"What is it?" Bonar asked

"The great giant eagle Cloudsoarer, the proud symbol of our city, Hallmark should be soaring majestically at this time. Rumors have spread that it hasn't been seen for a while now" the priest said

"What is a great eagle?" Bonar asked 

"A great eagle is majestic bird of prey. It hunts wild cows and horses, and sometimes people" Father Donan said in his mind

"Then why is it important?" Bonar asked

"Legend has it that the father of Hallmark. Sir William Rugulus had a vision, to build his city when he sees a eagle killing a snake. While he was scouting around, he saw a giant eagle killing a basilisk!

And so Hallmark was built on these great lands. 

And the giant eagle has been revered in the city ever since" Father Donan said. 

Bonar nodded, noting that if he did see the giant eagle, he would take note of it. 

"What is that?" Bonar asked as he saw plumes of smoke from afar

"Tha...that's Eveningtown!" Father Bonar said and started running. 

It took them 5 minutes to arrive at the town, with Bonar jogging slowly to match Father Donan's pace. 

The town guards lay dead everywhere and the shops were on fire!

Several shopkeepers were trying to fend off a minotaur who was carrying its great axe and causing destruction everywhere. 

A minotaur stood around 3 meters tall, and several times stronger than an average man.

It held its axe in one hand and the torso of a half eaten person in the other.

The body was that of a woman, by the looks of her naked body.

Her head and limbs were torn off, and the monster had taken a large bite out of her naked breast and stomach.

"How did it escape the dungeon?" Father Donan yelled as he cast a shield to prevent the minotaur from attacking a crying girl in the mayham

"Dungeon?" Bonar asked

"Yes, there is a dungeon near Eveningtown. Adventurers are regularly sent there to keep the dungeon in check. It's  supposed to be a low level dungeon, which is why they never closed it" Father Donan answered

Suddenly, the creature turned its attention to Father Donan, the person who cast the shield.

"No you don't" Bonar said as he charged at the monster.

His spear blocked the minotaur in mid strike and caused the axe handle to crack.

The minotaur released the axe and grabbed at Bonar with both hands

Bonar replied by dropping his spear and started hand grappling the minotaur.

They wrestled for a moment, trying to establish who was stronger.

The creature was shocked, expecting to easily crush Bonar but was held in check.

"Is that all?" Bonar grinned as he exerted more strength.

Suddenly, the minotaur scream as the bones in its hands broke with audible cracks.

It immediately used its horned head to headbutt Bonar, but Bonar released its crushed hands and grabbed it's horns instead.

He kicked the minotaur's left shoulder upwards, as its shoulder bone broke in a loud crack, causing it's right shoulder to drop downwards in an anti clockwise direction.

With his foot, Bonar stepped on the minotaur's right elbow and twisted the head clockwise.

More cracks sounded and Bonar spun his body clockwise and pulled to monster's head clean off!

The villagers and Father Donan looked in shock

"Excuse me. I'll go process it now" Bonar said, dragging the creature away

From a distance, they could see Bonan chopping up the body parts.

No one noticed a tentacle sucking up all the blood nor a plant mouth eating its heart, Bonar's favorite part.

He made a large bonfire and had a barbecue for everyone in the village.

Unfortunately, nobody turned up.

"You did a good thing you know. It's not that the villagers don't appreciate what you did. But they have to mourn the deaths of so many people" Father Donan explained

"It's ok. I understand" Bonar said, eating a huge juicy piece of meat off the bone from the leg of the minotour 

Father Bonan was here to officiate a wedding. But the bride was killed by the minotaur so he conducted a mass funeral instead.

As the priest was busy for an extra day conducting the funerals, Bonar explored the nearby dungeon. 

The next day, they left back to Hallmark. 

"So... how did your dungeon exploring go?" he asked Bonar

"You were right. It was a low level dungeon. Besides skeletons and slimes, there wasn't any challenges there. I wonder if the minotaur even came from this dungeon." he answered

"Yes, you are right. A minotaur would be a miss match for such a dungeon. Anyway, I will report it in Hallmark. Did you find any treasures in the dungeon?" Father Donan asked

"No. Most of the rewards and treasures from this dungeon were trash. However, I did get hold of an old bag of holding, which was useful.

It probably belonged to an adventurer who lost it, as it was filled with healing potions and spare clothes. Unfortunately, the clothes were all female" he said

"Well, a bag of holding isn't bad. Buying one is pretty pricy, and only those above C rank can usually afford one" Father Bonan said

--

"There they are. We'll rob both of them... but our main objective is that big teen over there. Don't forget to get his bank card" the bandit said

"Are you sure he's really loaded? He's dressed in average gear" another said. There were over 10 of them. 

"Reina said that he was paid 7 gold coins for entry. He's trustworthy" the first bandit said

"Then lets go!" another bandit answered. 

--

"Well, you're surely a vicious one" Father Donan said, seeing the carnage around them. 

"I don't give mercy to those that threaten my life" Bonar said wiping his spear on some grass to remove the blood. 

All around them, bodies lay on the ground with missing parts of their head and limbs. 

To him, killing these fools were as simple as a flick of his spear. 

After a quick search for any money or treasures, Bonar placed them in a pile before setting the bodies on fire. 

Then both of them continued their uneventful journey back to Hallmark

6