The rundown church
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The industrial city of Yor, like the many cities that popped up after the industrial revolution it too came with influx of jobs and population, and with the growing number of inhabitants, a demand for more living spaces goes up and the availability goes down. And with that the people can only dig down or build up.

With new technologies, infrastructures can now be built with greater strength and greater heights. 

Locomotives granted the citizens the means to travel to other cities in a safe and secure environment without having to travel in caravans. With locomotives comes with faster means of logistics, goods gets around faster and money comes and goes even faster. 

But with industrialization also comes with smoke and pollution. Having better living conditions the populace naturally avoid where smoke, dirt and grime gather, causing those not well off to be pushed out of the new city center.

In Yor's smoky old town, low wages, and high turnover rate because of unsafe and unsanitary conditions in the factories makes the daily lives of the people grueling to say the least. High crime rates, taxes, cost of living, as well as many other things makes the citizenry tough and numb. 

They are rough, uncouth, boorish, crude, and many other similar things define the people of the old town, they are many things but they are not all evil for they know helping each other can make them survive this cruel world.

At the edge of old town lies a debilitated church that's facing east. Advancement of technology diminished the faith of the people toward god but that doesn't stop some people for continuing to believe. As the pastor that owns the church says 'It's welcome to believe, believing is free, it's won't cost you anything'.

"Here we are."

The officer stopped in front of a rundown church, he pushed the rusty iron gate forward and proceeds to church's large double door. 

The church's doors are always open, welcoming believers and would be believers alike. On each door exists each a bronze sanctuary knocker in shape of a lion-like dog head surrounded by suns rays.

*knock* *knock*

A moment after the loud knocking sound, a squinting man in priest garb can be seen coming through the nave.

"Oh, greetings officer Hank, what brings you to our humble church."

"I need you to do me favor, I need someone to take care of him until I figure out where he comes from."

"Of course, the lost lambs are always welcome in the house of the lord."

"Can you stop talking like that? It's annoying."

"No can do, it's one of the only few things I enjoy."

*Tsk* after clicking his tongue he pats the boys head.

"Kid, be good, you hear? I don't want him breathing down my neck because of you causing trouble."

*grunts* "I know"

"Hello, little one. My name is Pastor Mark, what's yours?"

"Oh, I almost forgot. The kid doesn't have a name, ain't got no memory either."

"Hmmmm...... " the priest props his fingers on his chin thinking for a minute.

"Follow me, you too officer Hank."

The priest leads to the Apse where the priest keeps an angel statue holding a large bowl containing holy water.

*groans*

 Officer Hank groans after he realized what the priest is up to.

 "Is this really necessary?"

"Of course, how else am I gonna give him a name? We'll deal with the memory thing at a later date but first comes the name."

"Like, I don't know, call him random name and be done with it."

"Procedures, officer, procedures."

"You're enjoying this way too much."

"What's happening?"

"You, my boy, are going to have a baptism."

"What's a baptism?"

"An over glorified fancy naming ceremony."

"Hush now officer, its an important ritual. Now child, come over here. Put your head over the basin."

He proceeds as instructed and looks at his reflection on the water, he has red hair with bangs almost covering his eyes that are the color of blood, sharp handsome face that the grime fail hide.

He snaps out of his thoughts with the priest loud voice.

"You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves. Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.

Meanwhile the world goes on. Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain are moving across the landscapes, over the prairies and the deep trees, the mountains and the rivers. Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air, are heading home again.

Whoever you are, no matter how lonely, the world offers itself to your imagination, calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting over and over announcing your place in the family of things."

The priest scoops a handful of water and pours it over his head.

"Child, may you come to know all the joys that life has to offer – the satisfaction of achievement, the thrill of discovery, the serenity of peace, and the comfort of love. May you never lose sight of where you come from, even as you focus on pursuing your dreams."

The priest now marks the boy's forehead with holy water.

"In the name of the Sun God Mihir, and in the power vested in me, and Hank as the witness, I now bless this child, whose name will be Matthew."

"May the sun’s light ever shine on you, Matthew, so your soul can flourish and serve as a keeper of all that is good in the world."





Common church mapChurch map

Sanctuary knocker

Sanctuary knocker

0