Rebecca
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After saying goodbye to Officer Hank, the priest took the child, now named Matthew to the back of lot at back of the church.

At the back of the church lies a two-storied inn that comes with its own misaligned sign. It seems that time has been good to it as the inn shows signs of disrepair. The roof is missing a few tiles here there, some windows have glaring holes, and pillars on the porch are weathered by the rain and rot.

"This will be your new home for the being."

Matthew stared at priest, then looked at the old inn and after a moment of thinking shot the priest a questioning look.

"Don't give that look, this place is older than the church, the previous owner gave the inn to the custody of the church before his deathbed, some say on moonless nights you can still see him sitting behind the front desk."

Matthew just stared at priest with disapproving eyes.

"Geez, you've no fun. At least act scared or something. The previous owner sold it to the church at a cheap price of 500 Gilas."

"Why so cheap?"

"They found out that he's sleeping with a local gang leader's girlfriend and needed money for a train ticket."

"Are you sure you be telling this to a kid and doesn't he have any savings?"

"We both well know that you ain't any normal kid and the girl's services are quite expensive."

"Enough about that, let's get inside."

Entering the inn Matthew saw common diner with an open kitchen, the bar has 5 chairs for lone customers and the diner itself has 3 circular tables with 4 chairs each arrange in an inverted triangle.

"Anybody home?"

"Be right there in a minute!"

Matthew saw a girl about fourteen of age coming out of the door on the left side of kitchen. She is wearing a nun's habit complete with a wimple. Her eyes light brown with a touch of gold. Matthew guessed that she also has dark brown hair the same as her eyebrows. 

"What can I do for you father?"

"First off, this is Matthew and he will be living with us for a while. Second, what's for dinner?"

"Nice to meet you, Matthew. You can call me Rebecca."

She extends her hand for handshake, Matthew hesitates for a moment but grabs her hand nonetheless. Rebecca smile beamed at the gesture.

"Matthew. Please take care of me from now on."

"Hey, what about dinner?"

"I haven't started yet. Matthew, be a dear and get a clove of garlic, two onions, a carrot and a potato in the vegetable patch? It's just past the well, you can go ahead wash them too."

Matthew nodded and immediately to do the job done.

As Matthew closed the door Rebecca glared at the priest.

"So, what's the boy's story?"

"Dunno, Officer Hank dropped him off just now. Says the kid got amnesia. I'm the one that gave him the name."

"How long is he going to stay with us?"

"Dunno, maybe until he's old enough?"

"Wait, don't tell me you want to train him to be a priest?"

"We'll see if he's good enough."

At the vegetable patch Matthew is almost done with collecting ingredients.

Looking for the patch where the garlic are, he spotted something that shined against the sunlight. He hurried to see what it is, as he got closer it seems to be a pure black marble, an extremely shiny black marble but it doesn't seem to made of glass. He tried striking it against a pebble but it doesn't leave any dents or scratches.

'What an interesting trinket' he thought and put it in his pocket.

*groooon*

His stomach started grumbling. "Guess that fried meat bun is not enough. Better get that garlic and eat dinner quickly."

He hurried to the garlic patch, dug up a clove and went to the well. 

He pick up the pail and drop it in the well, when he was about to pull the rope up he felt tugging on the other end. The force pulling it is too strong for a kid like him. Overpowered he let go of the rope. 

He dropped everything and run to the inn. He pushed the door and yelled. 

"There's something in the well!"

"Pft haha hahahahahahaha"

The priest burst out laughing. He laughed so hard that he almost lost his strength.

"What's wrong, scared?"

Matthew glared at him 

"This is no laughing matter! There's a monster in the well!"

Rebacca slapped the priest on the back. 

"Stop laughing, you know how big that thing is."

"So, there really is a monster?"

"Pft, it's no monster. It's dinner, well, we have to catch it first though."

The priest stood up and motioned the boy to follow.

He stood by the well and pointed in.

"See, doesn't that look delicious?"

Matthew peeked over a fish shadow almost as big as him swimming happily in the water. As if it felt his gaze, the fish glanced at him in disdain and left. Shocked, Matthew couldn't help but gawking.

"The fish just looked at me with disdain."

"Hahaha."

"Why do you keep a fish inside a well?"

"To know if the water is still safe to drink. If someone or anything poisons the water, the fish is the first to die. And it's to eat fish once in a while."

"So it's not the only thing there?"

"Of course not, there's also little fishes there. You'll be in charge of feeding the fishes."

"Why doesn't the big guy eat the other fishes?"

"Dunno, it only eat bugs, you can feed some bread to the smaller ones."

"And where do I these bugs?"

"Catch them?"

Matthew was left speechless.

The drew a pail of water while Matthew still on a daze. He patted the kid's head and said. "Hurry up and wash the vegetables, you can wash yourself too, I'll get you some by the time you're done."

The priest left towards the church.

Matthew washed the vegetables and took off his tattered shirt, he poured the water over his head and scrubbed with his hands then poured water again wash the dirt off.

By the time he's done Rebecca's already nearby with a towel.

"Here, dry yourself. We can't have you catching a cold."

"Thanks."

The priest arrived holding a set of acolyte clothes, it looks just like the priest only without whites. The priest even prepared some shoes.

"Wear this. You can change in your room, it's the first one you see after you up the stairs."

Matthew nodded, took the clothes and left.

0