Chapter 7: Return of The Saviour
82 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When morning came, Riven had visitors. Father had sent workers to assess the damage, conduct repairs, clean the whole apartment, and move in the new furniture. He nodded in appreciation when they brought in the new couch. It was larger, and the cushions were fluffier and cream coloured instead of the tacky red the last one had been. Good riddance, thanks to Nory. The new balcony doors were the same kind as the older, but he didn’t get close enough to check it out. If asked, Riven would’ve said the clean-up had been a little too fast, and there might still be tiny shards and bits of the broken glass waiting to dig into the already abused soles of his feet.

But Riven hadn’t been asked, so of course, he bent himself to preparing breakfast for himself and half a dozen others. At least it was a good exercise for his domestic abilities. Mother would be proud of his eggs and bread slices. Very basic, but still.

“These are for you,” he said as he set the two trays of breakfast down on the new tea table they had brought in. Maybe it was some kind of reward for his efforts. Riven would’ve asked from something more… useful, but of course, he hadn’t been asked.

The supervisor of the workers, a gruff man with a patchy beard, pulled his hat into his hands. “Thank you kindly, sir. You didn’t have to go to so much trouble for our sakes.”

“You’re welcome. Enjoy your food when you’re done.”

“Are you going somewhere, sir?”

“Got to meet Father,” Riven replied, heading to his bedroom. At least it had been spared any lasting damage, and thus, any invasion of privacy from the workers.

“But sir, you were told to get bedrest.”

Riven rolled his shoulders. They still ached a bit, but the crack was satisfying. “I’ll have all the time to rest when I’m dead.”

Father had sent a medicer to check on him, and the woman had magically fixed him up. She’d given a salve that had stolen the pain from his shoulders, back, and ankles, and administered a dose of pills he was to take every night after dinner for the next six days. When asked, she’d said the salve had tiny bits of processed Sept in its. Medicinal Sept. Just what Riven had come to discover in Severance Frontier. Mother wouldn’t have to wait for long.

He got dressed quickly and headed out, taking only his Sept gun and the crystal with him. The Invigilator’s Office wasn’t far, as Viriya had said, so Riven didn’t bother calling a cab. Bedrest? No, Riven would off the twinges and aches still haunting his body.

The darkness had cloaked the office the last time he had visited two days ago, but now it lay bare in all its glory. Tall and circular, its grey base was wide, growing thinner the higher it sent. The roof of the base was gabled , the slope of the slats increasing until it melded with the walls of the ochre top half. Large windows caught and reflected the daylight, trying to blind anyone foolish enough to dare to look that high. The morning was still early, and a few besuited employees were still making their way inside.

Riven joined them. The guards at the gate still insisted on checking his ID, and he held back from shoving the paper in their faces. They had the good graces to apologize profusely before letting him take his rightful path on the way to see Father.

Father. Riven tried not to let his steps slow as their last encounter flashed in his head. Maybe he was in a better mood today, though honestly it wasn’t his mood that had soured their last meeting. If he’d just stop being an obstinate arse about matters. If he’d only see Riven wasn’t still a child.

Riven paused a few steps inside the atrium. Viriya was coming down the stairs.

“What part of bedrest did you not understand?” she asked.

“I can use Father’s bed if it gets bad,” he replied.

“What?”

“Doesn’t he live here?”

A grin flickered at the corner of her mouth. One blink there, gone the next. Like a mirage. “You don’t though. I suggest you turn around, and I’ll get you a cab and you can be on your way.”

Riven had the brilliant idea of agreeing with her, getting a cab, then shoving her and tipping the driver to dash off with her onboard. Really, his intelligence was sometimes unfathomable. “I will decline, thank you. But tell me, have you thought about what I said?”

“I’m not using a Necromancer to get to a Deadmage.” Her genial good humour, such as she possessed, disappeared. “I’m sure your new friend wants something in return. What is it?”

Riven was saved from answering, and from panicking while he thought of an answer, by a shout from behind.

“Hello, there! Been a while, hasn’t it?”

Viriya gave vent to the briefest of groans as Riven turned, then smiled. Rio was here. Though on the strangest horse Riven had ever seen. His eyes went wider and wider as he returned the way he had come. Rio’s mount was a Sept horse.

“Never seen one of these before?” Rio asked.

Riven shook his head. “Never.”

At first glance, the horse seemed a regular chestnut thoroughbred, but closer inspection proved otherwise. Its mane and tail consisted of strings of tiny Sept particles glittering in the sunlight, and the depth of its dark eyes shone with a muted glow. More Sept crystals studded its body—the back of its calves, under the cheek, at the point where the neck met the body. Riven had only ever seen Sept horses, and other Sept creatures, in stories and the occasional Biology textbooks. A real live one was like witnessing a miracle.

“His name is Lightspeed.” Rio stroked the horse’s neck, the Sept-filled mane flowing like silk. “The stables are a bit farther away, so wait here for me, all right?”

Rio nudged the horse with his legs and Lightspeed plodded off at a pace that was anything but light speed.

“You really should be heading back home.” Viriya had joined Riven.

“I should,” he agreed. “After I’ve met Father.”

“And yet, here you are, not with your father.”

“I have a feeling Rio has something interesting to say.”

As if to prove Riven right, Rio strolled in, one hand throwing up and catching a file over and over again. He was grinning, his teeth as bright as the jewellery he had on. Besides his rings and his earring, he had a nose stud too, the tiny purple amethyst glinting concurrently with the violet dewdrop hanging from his ear.

“Oh if it isn’t the Prodigy of Providence Demesne,” he said, smiling bright enough to blind Viriya. “Have you been antsy these past days waiting for the moment I bring in my report about your demon?”

Viriya shook her head, a lone brown strand escaping her carefully combed bun. “Please, the only thing I’ve been antsy is getting rid of that demon because I can’t depend on your incompetence.”

He waved his file. “Everything’s here. Shall we go meet your boss?”

Viriya didn’t reply, only stalked off back towards the Invigilator’s Office. Rio winked at Riven, then followed, his legs loping like serpents trying to stay upright. Riven did his best to keep up.

“How’ve you been?” Rio asked.

“Hmm, not the best,” Riven replied. He kept his voice low. Wouldn’t do to let anyone else know of what had happened under the mountain of dead Sept with Rio. “Do you know what actually happened to the demon?”

“Well, you’ll see, but yes. I have suspicions.” Rio eyed Riven critically. Those pale eyes looking down on him were a little unnerving, though the effect was ameliorated by the warmth. “Why aren’t you all right?”

“I’ve been involved in a few scuffles.”

“Oh?”

“Yes. With a few Phantoms.”

“Oh damn!” Rio laughed a little. “You’ve been busy, and you only just arrived.”

Riven glanced at him, smiling back. No contempt at his expense, rather a little incredulous expression at how Riven was already involved with everything. After all the practice trying to decode what closed-up Viriya really felt, reading Rio was far too easy. He was so open, wearing everything out in the open with no fear of anyone trying to use anything against him. Nothing but a smile was the appropriate response.

They entered the Invigilator’s Office proper, and climbed the stairs to Father’s office. Riven had every intention of quizzing Rio on the crystal, but he’d just have to wait until this meeting was over.

Father bid them enter after a knock, and they lined up a dozen paces in front of his desk, Riven and Viriya on either side.

“Escario Dorvhaes?” Father asked, amber eyes fixed on Rio.

“Yes, Invigilator Morell.” Rio stepped forward and handed his file to Father. He was stiff and strict now, all affability dropped at the flick of a switch. “The file has everything.”

Father’s reading glasses were resting on the brim of his hat on the table, and he donned them before going through the papers. Riven and the others waited patiently while he checked each page with care. Eventually, he looked back up, putting away the glasses. “Speak.”

Rio blinked. “Er, that is it. Vedel Arn is sending an official party to conduct negotiations on restructuring the Treaty of Severance. And the issue with the demon that Rorink discovered in Ascension Demesne.”

“Yes, but I wish to know your opinion, Escario.”

Riven held both his hands together behind his back so he didn’t give in to the urge to place a comforting hand on Rio’s shoulder. He was caught in the classic Rosbel Morell trap of giving one the false sense that they and their feelings mattered, only for the opinion to be completely disregarded. Father loved to trample on all opinions save his own.

“Well,” Rio said, his voice unsure at first but gaining confidence with every syllable, “I think Vedel Arn shares a border with Providence Demesne, so the Arnish are coming through here expecting to meet a… less politically savvy party to deal with than the High Invigilator in Ascension Demesne.”

Father smiled a little. Actually smiled, and even nodded. “Good observation. What else?”

“I believe they have stockpiled manpower and resources to recultivate a greater portion of Severance Frontier than we can. Of course, they can’t take land from Resplend but there is huge swathe of unclaimed no man’s land around the Sundering Pit sealed off by a circular boundary agreed on by both parties. They might seek to push that boundary closer to the Pit, so they have more land to use, and while we will technically have more land as well, we can’t use it due to our lack of resources and manpower.”

Father gazed at Rio with open admiration. Riven stared between the two of them, trying not to blink stupidly like a child attending an adults’ only meeting. Rio was smart. Damn smart. And it was almost like his Father knew about Rio’s intelligence. Maybe it was well known. Riven was a newcomer here after all. But there was more going on here that he was missing.

“Correct again,” Father said. “Orbray isn’t using you to your full potential. And the demon?”

Rio grew nonchalant all of a sudden. “The demon is close to the Sundering Pit, though I need to investigate a little more to be sure. I also believe it’s far stronger than what Rorink initially fought. There have been more sightings all over Ascension Demesne, and we’d be handling it, but it has passed out of jurisdiction entirely. The treaty means we don’t have the authority to act that close to the Sundering Pit inside the boundary. Also, I’d rather not be used, sir.”

“Of course not. Thank you for the explanation.”

“Oh! You wanted me to explain everything so you wouldn’t have to do yourself for either of them.” Rio glanced first at Riven with a little smile, then at Viriya. All Riven saw was the back of his fair-haired head, but it was fair to assume Rio’s expression towards Viriya was anything but a smile.

She ignored him though, standing stiff as Father’s gaze shifted to her.

“Viriya, this will not distract you from your Deadmage hunting, will it?” he asked.

“No sir, it will not,” Viriya replied.

“Then we will talk of this demon once your Deadmage assignment has been completed.”

“Hunting, sir?” Rio asked. “Are all Deathless to be exterminated? Or only the Deadmages?”

“It seems Orbray didn’t discuss my suggestion.” Father sighed a little. “It’s become apparent that several Class Two Deathless—your Phantoms, Infernals, and Deadmages—have been stirring things up to the point. As in, actively killing the living to bolster their ranks. That’s why, I’ve issued a Demesne-wide commandment to capture any Class Two Deathless on sight, or kill it if capture becomes impossible.”

“I’d like to know the specifics, sir, if that was all right. I’ve only heard of Phantoms and some Deadmages being active in this region.”

“Now is not the time.”

Rio frowned a little, but nodded in acquiescence.

Father noticed the frown. “If you want to know more, you can ask the High invigilator, and he decides how much you get to know. Though I doubt Orbray really knows anything.”

Rio had no response to that. But then, what was there to say? It was clear, though, that Father held a poor opinion of High Invigilator Orbray, though it was curious that he so brazenly displayed his dislike in front of one of Orbray’s Essentiers.

Riven took a deep breath. There hadn’t been any official communication between him and Father since their last chat two nights ago, so he had no idea what Father thought of his actions. So it was now or never.

“Am I assigned to the same mission, Father?” Riven asked.

“You are under Viriya’s command.” Father started at him, his expression closed just like Viriya’s often was. Always a struggle to glean even the littlest thing. “As such, you will do as she says.”

Under her command. Had Riven always been under her command? It hadn’t been specified before, but if he had been, Father might consider his actions as insubordination rather than proactive thinking. Crap.

“I think I proved myself in the refinery and in the apartment,” Riven said. Father’s eyes glittered. It was much like prodding the tiger in its cage, but there was no other choice. “I want to be assigned to this mission as well, Father. I can help. Both of my last encounters proved that.”

“You want to help? You’re no Essentier, yet you’d jump in with no thought for your safety?”

Riven grit his jaw. He was begin brave. Without any Essence—despite what had happened the last two times, Riven still had no idea or control over it—Riven had been at a greater disadvantage than Viriya and had still come out victorious. Why couldn’t Father see that? “I survived the last few times. I can do so again.”

“And what if you fail? You will die of course, but do you realize the ramifications of your death?” Father’s voice had grown louder. He sat up straight, eyes boring into Riven. “How will your brother and sister react if you died before they even got to see you? How will your mother feel seeing your corpse? You need to realize that your safety extends beyond you.”

On the wall behind him, the rest of his family watched ambivalent. Mother was there. So were Rose with her red Coral rapier and Glaven, talk, dark, and brooding as ever.

Riven grit his jaw harder. “I still intend to go.”

“Fine then. I won’t stop you. But try not to get Viriya killed alongside yourself.”

“Of course.”

Riven tried to keep himself from fuming. That was peak Father. He wouldn’t ever directly say no, nor would he ever outright ban anything. No, he’d rather point out every flaw and if one still meant to disagree, then they were all the more fool to do so. So damn infuriating to have Riven’s side of it completely disregarded.

He needed to explore the secret of that crystal. Needed to find how it related to all that was going on, find a use or power from it with which he could bargain and get in with the rest of the research going on.

Medicinal Sept, that medicer had said.

“Sir, perhaps it’d be all right if I went along as well.” Rio stepped forward again. “I could help.”

“One of you is bad enough,” Viriya said. “I don’t need another to have to keep an eye on.”

“Nonsense. I’d be the one keeping an eye on things.”

“I approve,” Father said before Viriya could retort. She scowled at Rio, but smoothed her expression quickly and nodded at Father. “You are dismissed.”

Riven was the first to get the Chasm out of that damn office. People gawked as he rushed by, though thank the Scions no one said anything. He didn’t stop until he was out the main gate, not waiting for his companions to catch up either. Damn him. Did Father have to be so infuriating all the time?

“You all right?” Rio had caught up with him, though he didn’t look like he’d had to hurry to do so in so little time.

“I’m fine,” Riven said. He looked around, noting the empty street. If there was a cab or something nearby, he could ditch them all and go anywhere without being followed.

“Where do you live?”

Riven turned to stare at Rio. “Why?”

“Where else am I supposed to spend the day waiting?”

“You could get—” Riven bit his tongue. He was being unreasonable, letting his frustration get the better of him. It was unfair on Rio, especially when he had stuck his neck out and decided to accompany Riven on the Deadmage foray. “It’s not far, I just…” He sighed. “Sorry, I got a bit riled back there.”

Rio punched him lightly on the shoulder. His knuckles were harder than rocks. “Don’t worry about it. And yes, riled is a nice way to put it.”

He laughed, and Riven couldn’t hold back his grin. Scions, Rio’s mirth was infectious.

“Just don’t mess up later tonight,” Viriya said, walking past them without sparing a single glance. “Your father wasn’t wrong.”

“Oh, I have you to keep me alive, don’t I?” Riven shot at her departing back.

She didn’t reply, disappearing into the city as though Riven had said nothing at all. Didn’t even bother fixing a time or place where they were to meet up before the Deadmage excursion. How in the Chasm was Riven supposed to know where they were supposed to go?

“She’s quite fun,” Rio said brightly.

Riven sighed. The crystal was nestled heavy as an anchor in his trouser pocket. He’d have to bring it up soon. “Come on, I’ll show you around my place. Hopefully, it doesn’t look as destroyed by now.”

2