Chapter 44: Choices of Faith
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rose was a terrible multitasker in Riven’s opinion. She didn’t speak once as she hauled him out of the meeting room, out of the Invigilator’s Office, out of the vicinity of High Invigilator Orbray, and straight to her home. Apparently, even concentrating on the future in their cab was too much for her, and she didn’t answer Riven even after he poked her once or twice alongside his questions.

It wasn’t until they reached a small but pretty house south of Providence Demesne, that Rose considered talking to him.

“Is this your house?” Riven asked as the cab drove off. He placed a hand inside his jacket. Mother’s letter was still there. Maybe he could check it inside Rose’s home.

Rose looked first at him, then at the house with a little smile. “Well, I know it’s not much. But I think you’ll like the interior a lot better.”

“I never said I disliked it. It looks cosy.”

“It is!”

She led the way, ringing the doorbell with a small button. An old woman in a maid’s outfit opened the door. “Welcome home, mistress.”

Rose entered, beckoning Riven to follow. “Everything all right, Charice? Did anyone come here in my absence?”

“No one came, mistress. Are you expecting visitors? Should I prepare food?”

“No need yet. I’ll let you know.”

The old maid bowed as Rose and Riven passed.

“But you can bring something for my brother here,” Rose added before the maid left.

Charice glanced up sharply at that, mouthing “brother”. Riven smiled by way of greeting. The lady reminded him of Mother’s ever-present attendant, Marlienne. That woman had been a loyal maid for as long Riven had known her, but as soon as Mother had become ill, she had transformed into a shadow, never leaving Mother’s side except to sleep and relieve herself.

Rose led Riven to a small parlour room while the maid scurried away. She was right. It was quite cosy inside. The walls were painted a deep turquoise, ocean waves patterning the top and bottom edges where they met the ceiling and the floor. She kept it cluttered but neat. The wooden floorspace was devoted to furniture of various kinds, dressers, cabinets of every shape and size, chairs and tools placed at strategic locations so that a seat was never too far.

Even the parlour gave off great warmth. Riven plopped himself down on one of the green couches, the cushions enveloping him and trying to lull him to sleep.

Rose took a sofa for herself. “Now, we can talk.”

Finally.” Riven leaned forward in his chair, the reluctance of the cushions almost audible. “Is there really going to be a war?”

“I wish I could tell for sure, but my bet is on no. Too much effort.”

“So it’s a diversion?”

“Possibly, but for what? Orbray wants to consolidate his stranglehold on the position of High Invigilator, but a war could be too damaging. Why would he risk losing the support of all who’ve been behind him for so long—unless there’s some other factor at play here. Something that isn’t apparent yet, and can only work when we’re all in one place.”

“Or a distraction?”

“Everyone would be focused on the war effort, and Orbray would use the opportunity to carry out something nefarious. Well, it’s wild speculation at this point anyway. We can’t tell without learning more.”

“There was something about Knightforger coming here too.”

Rose froze, her eyes screwing nearly shut in sudden suspicion. “Knightforger! Of course, Orbray must be getting ready to make his move for the Council.”

Rivne frowned. The Dodecilian Council was made of the twelve most powerful people in all of Resplend. Some were Essentiers and some were not, but all were pioneers of the realm’s aspect they looked after. Knightforger, the Council member in question, was the ruler of Resplend’s military alongside his fellow Council member, Knightrazer. Arguably the most powerful Essentier in all of Resplend. What in the world could Orbray do to displace him?

Then his eyes widened. “You don’t think he’s going to murder Knightforger, do you?”

“I don’t think Knightforger can be murdered.”

“Everyone can be murdered, Rose.”

Rose snorted. “Wait till you see Knightforger, Riven. You’ll understand what I mean then.”

“Sure I will.” It was hard to keep the scepticism out of his voice. “But what about us?”

Rose waved an arm. “Everything will be fine.”

“But… we were ordered to bring Franry and Arrilme in. Is it fine to just ignore the High Invigilator’s orders?”

“You yourself said what’s right pales before any orders.”

“I did. And I don’t intend to betray Franry at all. But the ride here cleared my head, and now that I’m thinking rationally, I’m wondering how we can go about helping them when they’ll be on the lookout for us, right?”

Rose didn’t answer. In all fairness, it wasn’t an easy question. Disobeying the High Invigilator wasn’t a decision to be taken lightly, and for all that Riven was grateful at how Rose was willing to throw away her career in favour of helping him, they still had the chance to find a solution that worked for everyone. That didn’t require that kind of sacrifice.

The maid came in then, pushing along a trolley with a tea-tray set on top. A steaming ceramic kettle was on one side, facing two teacups and pots of milk and sugar. Two plates held biscuits and cakes. A poor replacement for whatever feast Father had drawn up for Orbray, but it wasn’t like Rose had been prepared to entertain Riven.

Rose took a tentative sip of the tea, which she took without milk or sugar. “It’s very good, Charice. Thank you.”

“Of course, mistress.” Charice turned to Riven with a little smile. “I hope you enjoy your stay, young master. Mistress has told me much about you.”

“Oh, is that so?” Riven peered a Rose, blowing on the tea in his cup to cool it. “Good things I hope.”

“Mostly along the lines of annoyance, constant irritation, gratitude that you had finally left your mother’s side, then mortification upon learning that you were to come here, master.”

Riven stared at Rose, whose smile was evident despite her face hidden mostly behind her teacup. “That sounds like a long time. How long has she been here?”

“Why for nearly two years now. Mistress Rose finds this house quite apt.”

Rose cleared her throat and stood up. “I’m going to go check on Viriya, and see if I can bring her here. I’ll try not to take too long.”

She left before Riven could ask more.

Viriya. Riven’s heart spasmed at the thought of her being beaten, especially after revealing that she was trying to free a Spectre. No, this was Viriya he was thinking of. No way in the world would she be defeated.

“Care for a tour of the home, young master?” Charice asked.

“Yes, I would.” It wasn’t like he had something better to do. “Thank you.”

Charice tour was as grand as though this little house Rose owned was as sumptuous as a palace. At every minor thing of note, the maid broke out in a long-winded explanation about the object’s history, significance, and even a physical description as though Riven was blind. It was one thing to pause at priceless paintings and at a cabinet that was older than the Sundering Pit, wholly another to stop at a spoon. Sure, the utensil was ornate with its bone-white handle, but still. A spoon.

The tour took Riven through the dining room, across the kitchen, and past a view of the backyard, ending at Rose’s bedroom. Her bed was rather large for one person, the hangings rolled up the poles between the posters, and the whole room was carpeted from wall to wall. There was a dressing table and a tall mirror which reflected the large cabinet. He felt a little awkward to be in her room without her present, but the papers on her desk caught his eye. A familiar envelope that made his skin flush with prickly warmth.

“Er, young master, those are mistress’s personal letters—”

Riven held up a hand as he picked up the envelope, mouth failing to form any words.

It was from Mother.

Yes, it was the same envelope he kept getting. The same paper the colour of vanilla, the same address stamped on the top-right corner, the same stamp with the picture of a seven-pointed star, like a Scion. Ignoring Charice and her strangled cry, Riven ripped the envelope open. The paper fell onto the table, And yes, it was the same handwriting made of neat scribbles.

Why was Mother writing to Rose? No, that was silly. Rose was her daughter, in much the same way Riven was her son. But every letter he had gotten always had that little postscript of reminding her other children that she loved them, and that made Riven assume he was the only one receiving letters.

So it wasn’t even a lie. Riven was just foolish as he always was.

He snatched up the letter and started to read.

Dear Rose,

Hugs, routine pleasantries, and well wishes. I shall refrain from boring you about me, and remind you that you ought to keep me updated.

Updated? It looked like Mother and Rose were exchanging news, or rather, Rose was charged with informing Mother of all the goings-on. How could Rose do this? And in Mother’s condition too.

Remember that I need you to trust in me, in your father, in your brothers as well. Faith in each other is all we have, ultimately. I still wish I could tend to your injuries with my own two hands, but you know I am unable. My love will have to do.

Faith. Trust. That was Mother’s mantra. Maybe Riven needed to find faith too.

Hold on to hope, Rose. You are prone to despondence when you are alone, and I would hate to see you that way. I am with you at all times. In your heart, only, for now perhaps, but one day, we will meet again. Perhaps one day soon, who knows.

Eternal Love,

Mother.

Riven let the letter drop back to the desk. Charice was still flustering behind his back, but he ignored the maid. What in the Chasm was any of that supposed to mean? For some reason, that last paragraph didn’t feel like a simple, heart-warming message of motherly solidarity. Perhaps one day soon. No. Mother was in a hospital back in Norreston. Ridiculous to think he’d find her here in Severance Frontier soon.

He pulled out his own letter, tearing the envelope open and tugging out the paper within with two fingers. Smoothing the paper on Rose’s desk, he started to read.

Dear Riven,

It has only been a few days since I sent the last letter, yet it feels like millennia. But my patience has worn thin. So much is going on! You are progressing as an Essentier, you have finished your mission with flying colours. You are well on your way to becoming even greater than your brother and sister!

What happens next is in your hands, but please, always remember to take care of yourself first. Physically and mentally of course yes, but spiritually as well. Please, do not sacrifice your sense of self, do not let go of what you know to be true and right, just to succeed in your endeavours as an Essentier. There is more to life than success, as there is more to success than simply winning.

One day, you may face a choice that might force you to redirect what you thought you knew into spaces and directions you hadn’t explored yet. When that day comes, remember me.

And remember to have faith.

Eternal Love,

Mother.

Riven scanned the letter a few more times. No, he had read it right the first time, the words were in the same order as the first time and the sentences were correct. What did Mother mean by a choice? The letter read as if she had already predicted this moment where he was supposed to throw away his potential career in favour of helping two Deathless and it was too convenient. Too… prophetic. Even if someone had been posting letters to her about what was going on, they couldn’t have sent them so fast.

No, Riven was overthinking, Mother always had that uncanny ability to sense things even before she was aware of them actually happening. A mother’s sixth sense, as she fondly used to call it sometimes.

But her words crawled back in his head, revolving like ballerinas. Perhaps one day soon.

Impossible. No, it couldn’t mean that. Mother couldn’t be admitting that her condition had worsened and that she expected to die. She’d tell him if it had ever gotten serious like that, wouldn’t she? She trusted him enough for that.

There was a knock downstairs, cutting short his fatalistic thoughts and making Charice jumped. The maid rushed out of the room, begging Riven to put away the letters and follow.

Riven obeyed. Such convenient timing. He had read both his letter and Rose’s, and he’d have to thank the Scions later for the opportunity.

Back near the parlour, Charice was standing to one side of the room as Rose entered. Behind her, came the rest of their little party. Arrilme walked in, staring around like a serf introduced to a royal palace, Franry holding her hand. They made an odd pair. A thin Spectre in faded everyday clothes, holding the hands of a green-scaled demon with spikes protruding everywhere. What madness. Viriya brought up the rear from behind. Her bun was still in place, her clothes were unruffled and undamaged, and she had no noticeable wounds. If there had been any struggled to recapture Arrilme, she showed no signs of it.

“Been snooping around?” Rose asked with little smirk.

Thoughts of Mother barged in but Riven pushed them aside. Not yet. “Well, it was a guided tour.” He glanced back at Charice, who had bowed to hid her face. Clever old lady. “Right, Charice?”

“Yes, mistress,” the maid replied. “I was showing the young master around to relieve his boredom.”

“And is your boredom relieved, young master?”

Riven did his best to smile at her, despite his tongue nearly shrivelling at the effort. “It’s about to be.”

They retired to the parlour. Rose guided Arrilme to a couch, and the Spectre kept a tight hold on her son, navigating the space with care so that Franry’s wayward spikes didn’t scratch or dent any unwary surface. Charice stared. Her eyes were wide as saucers, her mouth parted slightly as though she was a landed fish trying to breathe. Rose gave her a harsh look, and the maid quickly departed with the promise of tea.

“I discovered a strange little thing in your room, Rose,” Riven said. “A—”

“You were in my bedroom.”

He shrugged. “Part of the tour.”

Rose looked around as if to find Charice and focus her glare on the maid, but of course, clever Charice had departed for maidly duties. “What is it that you found, little trespasser?”

“A letter from Mother.”

“And why was that so interesting?”

“Curious you say that because I read the letter and the one I have from Mother—in fact, the one that was posted the same day as mine, was quite different.”

“We’re two different people, Riven. Of course, the letters addressed to each of us will be different too.”

Riven frowned. “Don’t be thick, Rose. You know what I mean. Mother insinuates certain things in her letter to you that she didn’t think of mentioning to me. Certain things that has been going on for a while that you didn’t think of mentioning to me as well. Certain things, like keeping Mother posted about the events going on here.”

Rose swallowed as Riven ended his little rant with a vicious growl. She looked lost for a moment, caught red-handed stealing something she never should, or would, have had circumstances not forced her hand. Then she looked up. And scowled.

“Riven,” she said. “Has it occurred to you that you are not entitled to everything everyone else knows? That you don’t have to know about the goings-on about other people’s matters. It can be a difficult thing to accept little brother, that the world doesn’t revolve around you, but I thought you weren’t so little anymore.”

Heat surged up Riven’s neck lave in an erupting volcano. He was about to reply in kind when he saw through it and his eyes widened. Rose had no intention of revealing what was going on with Mother, so she was distracting Riven with insults. Damn it all to the Chasm, but did everyone in this Scions-blasted Frontier have to keep secrets?

Riven changed tack. “So what now?” Someone needed to award him some kind of medal for biting his tongue and not tearing Rose apart verbally.

“Now you leave.”

Riven snorted. “I know I upset you earlier, but that’s a little harsh isn’t it?”

“They’re looking for you Riven. For all of us.”

Her words pulled everyone’s attention. Viriya was already rapt, but Arrilme and Franry had been distracted by the finery of Rose’s home, and now their heads turned to her. Arrilme pulled her son closer to her as though the ones seeking them would burst into the room at any moment.

“What in the Chasm did you do?” Riven asked Viriya. He looked at Arrilme. “Are you all right? I know she can get a little feisty sometimes, so I apologize on her behalf.”

“No, we’re perfectly fine.” Arrilme waved her arms in front of her. “She saved us. We couldn’t have asked for a better friend.”

Viriya scowled back at him. “Don’t worry, I didn’t murder the guards who were keeping her. Only gave them a choice and they took the right one of their own accord.”

“But they know you freed Arrilme. And they took that information back to Tam and whoever else is above them.”

Viriya was about to respond, but Rose cut in. “All the more reason to get out of here.”

“That’s what we were planning. Take them to the research facility. That was our goal.”

Rose nodded. An impatient little jerk of her head that demanded why Riven wasn’t getting it yet. “Right, that was the point. We showed them that the research facility would be a good home for our guests here.” She glanced at Arrilme and Franry, who were both starting to look fearful. “And it will, don’t worry. But our goal is no longer just taking them there. We now need to keep our heads down until the whole thing blows over. Especially you, Riven. I can pull out of there, maybe Viriya with some meandering, but you’re a different case.”

Riven looked down at the bronze pin of a four-pointed star on his shoulder. “All because I’m only a Fourthmarked.”

“No, because you’re the Invigilator’s son. Your actions are a reflection of him, and his decisions regarding you and your actions aren’t easy.”

“So you’re sparing Father from making any hard choices, is it? Fine. You can take a joyride to Reinnervation and I can go back to Mother. I’m sure she can tell me just what she’s learned from you, personally.”

Rose had that momentary skittish look on her face again. She drew back, a little hurt at Riven’s reaction. But he hadn’t said any of that to accuse Rose of anything, honestly. Well, not much. In truth, he had to get to Mother, had to see what her condition really was. Mother was hiding something from him, and the thought made Riven’s heart warble weakly like a starving wren. She could be dying for all he knew.

“You’re not serious, are you?” Rose asked.

“Why wouldn’t I be?” Riven replied. That uncomfortable flush was back, burning along his face and neck. “I haven’t seen Mother in a while. I need to know if she’s still all right, because frankly, I’m not sure I trust the letters I get from her anymore.”

“Riven, Mother is perfectly fine. You don’t have to worry about her. I don’t—”

Perfectly fine?” Riven almost laughed, but his throat clogged up. “Where have you been Rose, Mother is dying.”

Rose looked hurt again. “You know that’s not what I meant.” She closed her eyes. “Mother only expects the Scions and Deathless issue to get worse before it becomes better, and is worried. She asked me to take care of you. But will you really go back to her, Riven, before seeing this through?”

“It’s all right,” Viriya reassured. “You don’t have to force yourself to come with us to Rennervation. I can make sure everyone gets there safely and everything goes smoothly. You don’t have to worry.”

Riven glanced at her gratefully. But then he looked away. Viriya’s face was steely with resolve, ready to give up everything to see this self-inflicted mission through, while Riven ran away to Mother. Wasn’t that a wonderful act of competence and courage?

He found himself looking at her anyway. Where did she get resolve like that? She had family too here somewhere. A mother who looked after a crippled brother, and she was looking after them instead of them looking after her. So unlike Riven’s own family. So lacking the same privilege, the same position higher up in the ladder, and so much more to lose. If Viriya was ready to give up everything, if she could put her faith in herself and what she knew was right, then how in the world could Riven leave?

One day you may face a choice...

“No, I’ll come,” Riven said.

Viriya didn’t smile. When did she ever? But the light made her eyes appear a little greener than normal as she nodded.

“Then it’s settled.” Rose glanced over the room at everyone. “We’ll be setting out as soon as we can.”

A second later, Charice came in bearing a tray with more tea and snacks. Riven was no longer hungry. He stared at the tea swirling in the cup he was handed, the ripples distorting his reflection as though, like Franry, he too was transforming into a demon.

1