Chapter 16: Unable to Protect them again
252 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Waking up without a boner was new... but that wasn't my main thought. As several messages flashed into my vision. But they weren't in order... annoying but at least I got the gist. Grabbing my gun and began to reload. 

 

[Dungeon Empire Attacked!]
Party size: 22
Allegiance: Templar Order of Donlindagrad

[Floor Guardian Medusa Killed!]

[Dungeon Empire Defeated!]
The Dungeon Empire has been defeated and destroyed. Survivors may still be found.

[Three Dungeon Empire Enlistees have evolved!]

[Invaders Detected!]
Party size: 19

Allegiance: Templar Order of  Donlindagrad

Finishing my reload as the door opened I heard a distinct lack of fighting from down the hall, though the sounds of grunts, crying and several begging to let them back into the fight. With a shake of my head I forgot to move my room upstairs. Well Medusa would have killed three of them which is good. Looking down the hallway I saw Erika holding up a wall of ice, but below her feet there is a small pool of blood and a slight dripping.

With two teleports, I appeared next to her and saw she was burning Mana fast.

Erika saw me and was about to speak but with a shake of my head in no, she just nodded and returned to the ice wall, which was blocking the doorway into the cafeteria. But now I could tell she was badly maimed, with a cut across her eyes with one surviving but her left socket was destroyed and a gash that ran up her arm from wrist to elbow with the wound being wrapped up tight and harshly.

Behind her the crew working with the first aid kits from the second floor were treating the wounded crewwomen and those from the empire on top of the tables with more turned over becoming cover. "Sit down I'm taking over." I ordered her, as I raise my hand and instantly the ice wall refroze over becoming harder and changing color from plain white into a red-ish colour, with a push forward the whole ice wall moves from the doorway into the corridor where the wall stops, four Templars were shown to be frozen solid.

My assistant collapses in place, her hand shakily moved onto her face and I saw her eye reform as she healed herself, but passes out from over drawing her Mana. With my off hand Erika's body slides back towards the crewwomen who grabbed her and pulled her back behind the cover.

My eyes land onto the Templars I froze, shifting my hand a dozen slits opened within the ice wall immediately those on the other side peered through, with a smile and a snap of my fingers those frozen few in between us shattered into hundreds of pieces, the shock and anger I saw was so tantalizing.

But looking behind me one last time. Rage. Sadness. I wasn't able to protect my crew... again. Walking into the corridor and forming another wall of ice behind me.

The Templars through the slits could only see my impassive face, releasing a breath from my mouth it comes out in a onyx black with red and white tinting. Crushing my hand the ice wall before them shattered and refroze and dozens of icicle shards which were in the moment of their creation launched at them with the leading Templars torn to shreds as their shields overworked themselves and simply gave out or exploded in only what could be described as a Mana style blackhole as it just ate the parts of their bodies where it was stored.

Those left alive were battered, bruised or were fine. Raising my hand I formed another two Ice walls around them and moved the walls close together. Making a head sized slit I asked simply, "Any last utterances?"

The survivors just looked at me, but without anything said. I nodded and threw in a delayed spell and closed them back up.

Within the ice box the spell I left behind fired off, and instantly the Templars inside screamed out in pain as they burned. "Home made Willy Pete. With them covered in water and the ice walls... I'll deal with anyone still alive."

I waited for the screaming to stop before I dropped the ice walls, as I slump against the wall. With several deep breaths to absorb the ambient Mana, only two survivors. Grabbing the sling of my musket and with a throw of my shoulder in a single smooth motion. Taking aim at the Templar who's shield was flickering with some parts working and others not so much, he seemed to be struggling to get to his knees with burning phosphorus like substance clinging on their armor, skin and the shield alike.

I gave the Templar a moment of pity then fired. The shot was textbook and clean he dropped within a instant quick and painless. The other I could see crawling away like a coward, slowly I follow and reload. Always keeping a meter and half away.

"So what was the plan?" I asked the Templar, "Waltz in kill my monsters, my empire, my crew. And what? Get your precious Selendis back? News for you pal, I  had already cut her open to see how you people tick, so you just wasted your lives for nothing."

I fired blowing off his elbow sending his gauntlet sliding forward, his scream filled the air so beautifully ignoring it I start reloading, and with a flick of my wrist I flip him over. "Any last words..." Waiting a few seconds, "No then fine." With my final shot his brains splattered all over the deck.

I teleport two of the most intact bodies to be ripped apart later by myself. Walking through my ship I found Medusa and my crew's bodies, from the way the crew were killed they made a rushed to make cover and also underneath a pile of them a hand belonging to a Templar. So piled on and stabbed to death.

"Pathetic." I said at the sight, "For all that skill... to be taken by nameless nobodies." Taking a gander at Medusa she had clearly killed two of them with their throats torn out, one by her mouth and the other. Well her fingers are still dug into it. Continuing I only really noticed now was the floor was smeared with blood as if someone or more was being dragged along, most likely those of the empire who retreated or the crew were more proactive and sallied out.

If they did I'm impressed. So be it. Arriving at the Hanger I found more dead crew and empire but also a lot of blood that would have belonged to the Templars, must have been the ones killed by Medusa I met earlier... did she instigate a fighting retreat? Most likely Erika who gave the order, but why? She could have... no she wouldn't, don't be stupid Jean. She was planning on saving as much as she could and delay for my return.

"Clever girl." I said as I left the Hanger onto the blood soaked ground, looking down I found two of the women from Section one. Both given mortal but slow wounds... those bastards really wanted revenge huh. I felt my heart pounding as their looks of agony and pain hit me...

"Calm yourself... you are a Dungeon Mistress. Mortal problems like these aren't your concern. Especially those of your monsters." Walking past them and through the rows of buildings that once were filled with Enlistees going about their duties were empty, their doors cut apart and the occupants turned into mince meat, some tried to escape but never made it being killed at the door or just passed the threshold.

Walking up to one and entering... my breath caught in my throat, a memory flashed of a little girl being hugged by her mother just before the mother killed her child and herself... with a shake of my head two of them unlike the rest who were killed by the Templars... these two chose their way out of this world. I could feel my tears coming.

Finally reaching the trench and foxholes... they didn't stand a chance... none of them did. Feeling my knees grow weak I fell to my knees my hands digging into the bloodied ground.

"Why?" I asked, "Mother why!?"

All I could do was picture what these monsters went through... my Monsters... my Enlistees... my Crewwomen... my people.

I hadn't realized it until I felt my tears hitting my gloved hands... why am I crying! these are just monsters! "Why... do I care for these monsters... they are no different then those before right? No they are just made up of mana." What am I doing here! I should have been dead long ago with everyone else! Why did I take that offer!

"All for what? Petty revenge..." I asked to no one. "I guess what they say about immortality being a curse is true... HAHAHA!" I Just couldn't stop myself from laughing as I fall onto my back, the musket falling to the side.

I just laughed for a few more minutes unable to really believe what I was doing.

When I stopped and asked the universe a question, "Have I lost my mind? Has being here affected me? Or is it the ship giving me something I sorely lacked for my three-hundred years of life..."

Getting back to my knees and grabbing my gun... memories of all those I've killed in my last lives return to me... I've have changed and not for the best. Pushing myself back up, grasping my hands together I gave these people... no my people a small pray, "May the Mother of all Dungeons ensure your deaths and souls didn't suffer. Mother protect us."

Walking back through the rows of buildings, I stop at the center most... the outside was given a fresh coating of blood with a row of bodies and several more dead by the doorway. Touching the building I got a prompt

 

[Restart Dungeon Empire?]
{Yes}                                  {No}

 

Thinking yes, all the buildings around me other then this one disappeared along with the bodies, blood and discarded weapons... "What is really that easy... to press a reset button like a damn computer..." For some reason that made me feel sick. "System, tell me my exact number of Dungeon Points I have."

 

[Dungeon Points!]
Number of Points is 236.

 

"Alright at least that's a start."

6