Chapter 19 ⁠— As you start to explore, you will be alone with a king
556 5 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rhonda was striding down the forested hill where her family’s manor overlooked a vast rolling land. She came to a sudden halt, long grass and little gravels crunching under her boot soles. The muted sensations were strange for Rhonda. She wasn’t certain yet if she found the wearing of footwear preferable.

She squished her toes and pressed them down, shifting little rocks under her ever so slightly. She knew that was happening even with the leather barrier between her feet and the ground. After being naked for the length of the past week, having clothes on took some getting used to. It was just one example of many new things surrounding her.

Rhonda pulled in a long draft of crisp air. It tasted fresh, free, and slightly hinted with the smell of damp moss, wet tree trunks, and old fallen leaves. The unbound air moved freely around her, too, very unlike the stale and stiff air in the manor. Every breeze was like a gentle kiss on her face or a soft stroke over her short curly hair. It was irrefutable that she adored this very much.

She almost cooed.

She refrained, however, because there was a serious matter that required her attention. She was hesitant, and the longer she stalled, the greater the buildup of anxiety she felt in her chest. It was like giant hornets had nested inside a cavity near her heart.

You can do it, Rhonda, encouraged Londa. An image flashed across Rhonda’s eyes, displaying her other half as a thin, malnourished woman. In this image, Londa reached out to Rhonda and rubbed her back. Give it one last look, my queen. It’ll mean a lot to you if you do.

It would mean a lot if she kept her determined gaze pointed forward, too. To look back would invite wonder, doubt, and self-criticism. To look back and reflect after decisions were made would make the push forward all the harder. Yet, Rhonda knew it would be a crime not to review the place that was her character’s loving home turned torture asylum.

Even if it made her feel vulnerable.

So, she turned around and looked. The manor gaped back at her from the hill’s crest. It was a squat, rectangular structure of stone masonry and a crumbling thatch roof. She could see the part of the wall she had punched into collapse. Around that section were creeping vines like kraken tendrils trying to draw the manor into the earth.

What truly surprised her was the sight of a round tower that reached three stories for an adult giant, which was nearly ninety feet up into the air. It stood on the opposite side of the impromptu exit she had taken, and despite looking worse for wear like everything else, it seemed solid as if it had many more years of remaining erect.

“I don’t recall having a tower,” Rhonda said. “It must’ve been a new addition after what had befallen me.”

Should we go back and check it out?

“No.” Rhonda wrapped her arms around herself. “I’ve taken too many steps forward to return now. I can still feel the echoes of the fighting, the death threats, the anger and pain coming from there. I understand there’ll be more fighting to be done, but I had to become a monster in that manor before I had a chance to understand my predicament truly.”

Maybe we don’t have to be monsters out here.

“Are you saying that to raise my spirit, Londa?”

I’m saying it because we can choose how we want to act and feel regardless of what happens. Londa paused. I’ll be a monster with you, or I’ll help return you to your grace. Or maybe you gotta hold me back when I get ticked off. However it goes, we’ll help each other because, y’know, I ain’t against much of anything you do, my queen. My concerns are, like, minimal.

“But you do have concerns?”

Yeah, I do, and I’ll let you know when they come up. Just… is it okay if I fall back for a bit?

Rhonda turned away from the manor sharply. “Is something wrong? Is it what the blasted System said?”

Yeah, no, uhhhh. I just… I need a moment if you don’t mind, love? I’ll be here. I just gotta digest things, y’dig?

“I used to dig in the dirt for treasure when I… when this character was a child. I’ll dig for you if you go away for long, okay?”

Wowzers, Rhonda, you sure know how to make a girl feel special. Them extra charm points are doin’ you wonders, huh? Hahaha.

Rhonda's cheeks heated up. She was feeling awkward, and she didn’t know why at first. She quickly surmised she was worried for Londa and couldn’t do much about it.

I’m not going anywhere, okay? I’m just taking a moment to myself if you’ll allow me.

“I’ll allow it,” Rhonda said quickly. “But do not tarry for long. You are meant to be at my side as I am meant to grant our wishes.”

No doubt, mistress, Londa said. Then she faded, leaving this strange emptiness in Rhonda’s mind that Londa usually took up.

Shocked, the giantess almost wanted to call out to Londa and bring her back. Rhonda stopped herself before she did. It would be unbecoming of her to yank her mental servant around like a dog with a short leash. This relationship required trust between them. Trust that Londa could go and return, and trust that Rhonda could venture forward on her own.

“I can do it,” Rhonda said. “I am capable. I’ve made great claims that I’ll boldly see to fruition. I am a mighty Noble Giantess Progeny, and that means I can crush all obstacles and do as I please.”

It would be a lie to say that Rhonda did not feel silly giving herself a pep talk. Surprisingly, it worked its magic in raising her confidence again.

She had started down this hill with a perk to her stride and swing to her hips. The end of her pelt had swished proudly from behind her calves with each energetic footfall, and the sound of the earth crackling under step despite the muted feeling was pleasurable. When she acted and moved with enthusiasm, she felt a good bit unstoppable, so she rather returned to that.

Then there was the gorgeous, yet ghostly, vista ahead of her. It was spread like a ruffled canvas painted brown, green, and dark blue. The light gray mist and dark gray clouds had broken up now. Through those openings, slanted towers of sunlight beamed down from the heavens and spotlighted Brogheim Southern Hills. As far as Rhonda could see, there were rising and falling lumps in the earth covered in motley patches of forests and meadows. It was carved up by winding rivers and lakes with shimmering surfaces.

It was likely summer if the weather was to be this nice, Rhonda deduced. She could recall from her memories that any other season would cover the land in a blanket of snow. To her fortune, she was out and about at a splendid time of the year where tiny, vibrant butterflies would flutter by her ankles. She waited for one such creature to pass her before it landed on a blooming yellow flower.

“Beautiful,” Rhonda said, reaching down. She wanted to pluck the flower and perhaps keep the little one on it so she could eye them closely.

Her hand crushed the flower's head along with the butterfly. Her catch was inches from her mouth before she realized what she was doing.

Oh drat, I have to keep on top of my urges. This is too small to even serve as an appetizer, and I want to admire it for its beauty first and foremost.

Her stomach growled, and so did Rhonda, as she eased her trembling fist away from her mouth. Slowly, she uncurled her fingers and saw the results of her oafish actions. The flower was destroyed, its petals ripped apart.

But the butterfly remained unharmed, its wings flapping energetically without lifting off just yet. With a close examination, Rhonda Identified it was a Lvl 33 Small King Butterfly. It was 19 levels higher than her!

A shiver ran up Rhonda’s back. Did she mistakenly start a fight with a mighty butterfly creature? Afraid of rightful retribution, she dared not move. She even held her breath. She waited to see what the Butterfly would do.

The tiny creature looked at Rhonda with its beardy dark eyes and waving antennas. It tilted its wings up. Then down. Then it repeated until it was up in the air and bumbling around.

Rhonda hummed. Perhaps there really was no danger, and its level was not indicative of the threat it would be in a fight.

She was about to feel silly with herself when a small black blur darted past her face. She barely caught sight of the feathers but came to a quick conclusion that the Lvl 28 Little Black Bird was aiming to eat the King with a speedy surprise attack.

Rhonda reached out, although she knew it was too late. She felt bad for the innocent butterfly, for it had narrowly dodged her hunger, and now it would be preyed on by another. I should know now this is the way of things, eat or be eaten.

The King Butterfly turned to face what was supposedly its doom. It responded as if to say “not today” by casting a spell that made its face glow. Then it shot an intense beam of light as thin as a needle. It pricked the avian’s chest and exploded the failed predator into fried pieces of wings, breasts, and smoldering feathers.

“Wow,” Rhonda mouthed. “You are as forgiving as you are impressive, mighty King Butterfly. I apologize for disturbing you earlier.”

The royal insect whirled around near her feet to genuflect for her.

Rhonda reciprocated by bobbing into a curtsy, the edges of her pelt pinched up by her fingers. Then she waved the creature farewell as it proceeded on its breakfast flight for flowers she had rudely interrupted.

“Ah. Not all creatures are fixated on attacking each other.” Rhonda picked up the crispy bird remains. “Some strive to survive while having the power to defend themselves. But they may chooseth not to attack and kill indiscriminately.” Like how the butterfly spared her from a light beam to the throat, and she in return spared it from a one-way trip to her stomach.

The giantess flicked the fried bird into her mouth, swished it around, and hummed with delight. It was a tiny morsel that would trigger an increase in her hunger pains, but it was her first freshly fried food in this life.

When she swallowed it, she felt all tingly at the ends of her fingers and toes. She desperately wanted more of that, or anything, to feast upon. She had managed to stave off this savage side of her for long enough. It was time to feed the beast inside

Determined, Rhonda recontinued her walk down to the base of the manor’s hill. She entered the dilapidated remains of a village retaken by the forest.

25