Author’s Thoughts
568 7 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hmm.

I think I'm going to restart Rhonda's story.

I've been considering the direction the story went, and some of the pitfalls I've willingly entered. Some of which felt fun while writing it at the time, but looking back, I can now see how problematic some of my decisions have been. Additionally, I went in a direction I did not plan for, and a few plot points and ideas got stretched out of hand. Way out of hand. I'm a discovery writer in heart, but I had plot points I wanted to reach. But I got lost in the reeds somehow.

The fault lies with me for not having a hard concrete idea of what sort of story I wanted to tell. I also see that I'm still new to this genre and I need to read more into it to understand the nuances involved. I think I tried too hard to be different when I could've just told a fun adventure and quest story involving a unique character type. That unique character type is all the difference I need while following true and tried tropes.

Seriously, there's enough unique in the story of the last noble giantess displaced by time.

With that said, I discovered some amazing things about Rhonda that deserve to be cultivated more. Her voice in 1st POV, for example, is really fun to write in, and it's worth using in the revamped version. I can imagine telling the story in her POV with some 3rd person scenes from other characters if needed.

I also want to cut to the chase faster and partner Rhonda up with an interesting adventure group she can befriend. I've been imagining an all-girl group consisting of Rhonda, a goblin wizard, stabby-slicey Kobold twins, and a money-hungry tiefling bard.  This has always been an idea that I wanted to get to, but I meandered along the way. So I'm going to fix that.

Also, no more System, Admin stuff. No more Londa, crazy mental stuff, either. While that was mostly a quirky weird thing I did (while I was probably drunk), it really does break immersion too much. And it became a hassle for everyone involved. I think I'm going to avoid blue-boxes from now on. In fact, I'm going to reinvent the progression system so it's more focused and easier to digest.

Rhonda's still going to be an OP character. whose a little lazy and considerably hungry. But after this trial & error of a first attempt, I think she's way more than that. She's fantastical, sweet, imaginative, bratty, and aristocratic. So, I rather focus on her personhood and see how she and the world adapt to a creature such as her.

So she'll be a traditional hero the next time around.

With all that said, I really appreciate the feedback and the criticism I've received. I'm going to let this version of Rhonda's story cool off and fall out of trending. If you're interested in seeing how I improve on the concept next time around, keep a look out for this title:

RE: Rhonda! (A Giant GameLit).

TLDR:

1. Removing Admin, System, Londa, and focusing on Rhonda's displaced from time story as the last noble giantess.

2. Will tell it in 1st POV with some 3rd POV sprinkled in from other characters.

3. Will set up Rhonda with a fun adventure group to get her going and questing.

4. Will focus more on Rhonda's personhood, the interesting factors involved with a giant character among little ones.

5. Stay focused on a concrete high-fantasy GameLit tale following a heroic giantess with some slothful/gluttonous tendencies.

6. Have fun.

Again, thank you for following along. I'm sorry things didn't work out as well as they should on this first attempt. I'm also sorry if this feels like a bummer to quit on this draft. But if it means anything, I really do want to revamp things and tell the story better. I also think it'll show off more of my capabilities as a writer.

So, while I prepare for Rhonda 2.0, I'll be posting a new story called The Halfhearted Hunter. It's currently waiting to be approved. The first chapter should be up by Saturday. If not, I'll have Chapter 2 up on Monday. That story is going to be 3 chapters a week, I believe. But who knows, I tend to post fast.

The Halfhearted Hunter is basically a Reverse-Isekai, Urban Fantasy Game-Lit. A heartbroken young man reinvents himself as a zealot Mythic Hunter. He fights Mythics (monsters portal into Earth), and he also seeks to add some to his harem. It's pure male-power-fantasy with an MC who cultivates his power by collecting powerful monster women to fight alongside him. This one is for my blood and carnage fix, I suppose. And yes... there will be a giant woman in this one (although smaller).

While Rhonda's new story will still have carnage and action and blood, I think I want to practice a softer, friendlier, and cuter tone. One that follows a group of friends who have their differences and quirks, but they take on quests, face some dangers, and then head back to their preferred town where they build relationships gradually. We'll see how this works, lol. I'm still learning how to write heroic characters who aren't jerks to each other.

Thank you for your time and patience.

I hope to see you again.

8