SS9 – Ezme – A Sister’s Advice
1.1k 5 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ezme was walking through the corridors of the silver city, contemplating recent events with the mortal who resided in the city.

I had no idea it took so long to come up with their new ideas. I thought mortals do what they do best and when someone has an idea they come together and make it work. 

I had no idea it could take longer than their lifetimes to achieve. I feel bad for the people who never saw their ideas become reality. 

Ezme scratched her temple as she walked with her head inclined, deep in thought.

It makes it a little cruel to take away their memories when they die. If they could keep their memories, they could continue their work in their next lives. 

After all, even if they come to the point of being able to share information with one another like Amara said, the person who had previously worked on an idea would have to relearn everything they forgot in death. 

And their instincts aren’t even reset completely, so they will likely have interest to work in the same field and maybe even get the same idea again in the next life.

It’s sad that we have to do it in order to be able to keep them safe.

Ezme thought back to the mortal who had just learnt to wield mana, and was now training her skills with mana instead of divine power. 

While Amara was occupied she decided to run a few errands. Ezme was relieved when Amara focused her advances in skills rather than towards her.

Amara is so shameless. 

Making me feel this way. So shameless.

If you weren’t making me embarrassed all the time, maybe it wouldn’t be so hard for me!

Ezme sighed as she walked.

I like spending time with her. Whenever I’m with her I’m having fun. And I get to see a mortal put creative ideas into action immediately now that she has divine power to fulfill them.

I wonder if that is how mortals feel when they feel love. 

We angels feel love too, we don’t want to see eachother hurt or die. But I think mortals see love differently based on how they talk and write about it. But I also feel different when I’m with Amara compared to my siblings. And it’s different from other mortals as well. Is it because she’s the champion and I’m feeling guilty?

Ezme’s brow furrowed.

But then again. I’m an angel and she’s a mortal. 

It would be impossible for us, even if I was interested in her - and I’m not saying I am - but it would still be impossible. 

At least, as long as my siblings despise mortals. I wonder why they do it.

Whenever I ask, they don’t tell me anything, and say that it doesn’t matter. As if mortals have done something wrong.

What could the mortals have done?

I want to make my siblings see that being mortal isn’t something to look down upon. In a lot of ways, they are like us. And we came after the mortals did. We were made for the purpose of protecting them.

So why do my siblings look down on mortals? Keep them at a distance?

I wonder when things will change. The only one that could would probably be Sophelia, or Alarice. 

But Alarice is the most adamant on despising the mortals. And Sophelia doesn’t seem to care about it.

Yet that can’t be true...or else she wouldn’t have helped Amara. What did Sophelia say to her?

I wanted to be the one who made Amara feel better. I even went to Earth to get smoothies to do so. It’s my task. I’m in charge of advising her, so I should be the one to care for-

Ezme stopped her thoughts as she was about to walk face first into Sophelia.

“Careful there, sister.” (Sophelia)

The gentle voice of Sophelia woke Ezme from her thoughts. “You might stumble into someone when you think so deeply.” (Sophelia)

“Right. Thank you sister.” Ezme replied.

“Why don’t you tell me what troubles you so?” Sophelia said with a gentle smile.

“I…” Ezme began but stopped. 

Can I ask her? Everyone always comes to Sophelia for advice. She rarely takes the time to help others as the weight on her shoulders is so heavy. 

Maybe I should take the opportunity to ask, while she offered. But I’ve never spoken with her alone before.

“Sister Sophelia. What...do you think about mortals?” Ezme asked hesitantly.

Sophelia merely smiled calmly as she blinked. “Is this about mortals, or a mortal?”

“Mortals! Why would I ask about a mortal!” Ezme exclaimed.

“I see. Very well then.” Sophelia looked away with a gentle smile, somewhere far away that nobody else could see. 

I wonder where she’s looking. She always does that.

“Mortals...are what give us purpose.” Sophelia eventually answered.

What does that mean?

I guess it means that she doesn't care about them.

“I wonder sometimes if it’s cruel to take the mortals’ memories and instincts when they die.” (Ezme)

Sophelia turned and looked at Ezme, a gentle but stern look in her eyes. “It is cruel, but the situation is what it is. And will remain so, lest something changes drastically.”

“Like killing the gods and the demons?” Ezme asked.

“No. That would not be enough. But it would either be a start, or the final end.” (Sophelia)

The end?

“What do you mean?” Ezme cocked her head as she asked and scratched her scalp. “You make it sound like we lose if we win against the demons.”

“It depends on what the goal is. Is it the death of the demons and the gods who made them? Or something else?” Sophelia looked somewhere far away. 

What does she mean? If we kill the demons and their gods, the souls of mortals are safe aren’t they? 

Father only does what he does to protect the mortals. Not because he wants to.

Once the mortals are safe, both we and Father will be unneeded.

Unless I’m missing something…

“...Can I ask another question?” Ezme wondered.

“Certainly.” Sophelia said and gently waved her wings.

“..Do you agree with our siblings, that the mortals aren’t worth our time or consideration?” (Ezme)

Sophelia turned her eyes to Ezme as she tilted her head. “That arisen tendency is unrelated to our purpose.”

“So our siblings are wrong? Alarice is wrong?” (Ezme)

Sophelia waited before answering. “When forced to push forward in the dark of night, destined to be followed is the one who brings the light. But should a stumble make the light go out, it leaves only hearts that grieve and doubt.”

Sophelia blinked slowly before she continued. “Only once there is a new light at hand, shall it lead to the promised land.”

What does that mean? Is she saying we’re grieving and filled with doubt, because we’re lacking the light? What is the light, or who?

“...Then you are waiting?” Ezme asked.

“Indeed.” Sophelia answered and look away.

“For what? Or who?” (Ezme)

“...An eventuality.” The answer finally came from Sophelia.

“Can you tell me?” Ezme asked impatiently.

“That would defeat the purpose of waiting.” Sophelia answered with a gentle smile.

What? Does this have something to do with me?

“...Am I supposed to do something?” Ezme asked hesitantly.

“That remains to be seen.” Sophelia replied. “Some things must not be forced, but grown into their own.”

“...I see.” Ezme eventually said as Sophelia didn’t elaborate.

“Is there something else?” Sophelia asked as she tilted her head.

Ezme frowned. I might as well ask her.

“...What did you tell Amara when she was feeling down?” Ezme hesitantly asked.

Sophelia’s smile seemed to grow a little amused. “I merely gave a reminder and listened.”

“How does that help in comforting someone?” Ezme asked with a frown. 

“The mortals I’ve seen always seem really happy when they receive something or when they- “ Ezme stopped and flushed when she realized where her thoughts were leading her. 

Sophelia merely smiled serenely. “You need not worry that I stole the champion’s heart for I did not. But you should know that emotions mortals gain from material gifts are not a cure against their troubles. They are instead but a cover over the wound in their hearts.”

So I can’t rely on getting smoothies for her. Amara will be able to get her own soon anyway.

“Should you wish to cure their troubles, you must first know what they are. Merely getting them to tell you is half the antidote. Often they are comforted merely by the knowledge that they are not alone.” Sophelia calmly explained.

“Thank you for your advice, sister.” Ezme said and bowed her head.

 

__________________

I wonder what Sophelia meant with me growing into my own. Ezme thought after parting with Sophelia. 

But I suppose I don’t need to worry about it too much. If Sophelia says that it’s better if I don’t try to figure it out, I won’t. Sophelia has never been wrong.

Status.

Ezme sighed as she began reading her status. But I wonder how she could be expecting something from me when I’m so weak...maybe she's telling me to get stronger, like Alarice does.

 

Spoiler

Name:    Ezme

Race:    Angel

Age:    517184 (Ramay)

Titles:

the Compassionate

the Curious

Under an Archangel’s Thumb and Wing

 

Divine Power:     

564 328 714 / 564 328 714 (100%)

+ 61 891 223 / h (10%)

+ approx. 14 289 000 000 / h (2532%)    

 

Strength:     5797

Agility:     4624

Dexterity:    2485

Vitality:     1779

Stamina:    4158

Willpower:     1618

[collapse]
50