35 – Back In Business
937 7 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The time after tasting Ezme's lips was the most amusing period of time Amara had ever experienced. 

Amara was returning to the sofa after brewing a new pot of tea. Ezme sat with eyes fixed on the large television screen, watching an anime. 

Amara smiled as she watched the angel, completely oblivious of her surroundings. After stealing Ezme’s first kiss, the angel had been very self-conscious. Which was an opportunity Amara had no intention of letting slip past her.

One of the things she did was intentionally playing romantic comedy animes, with the commonplace goofs and accidents between romantic interests. Whenever one of those scenes would play out on screen, Ezme would blush intensely and glance at Amara, who every time was waiting with a wry smile to meet the angel’s gaze.

And every time Ezme would divert her eyes and blush even more.

She’s adorable.

At least she seems completely fine now.

Amara approached and poured the tea into two large mugs. She sat down next to Ezme - intentionally sitting close enough to be considered invading the angel’s personal space - while holding out Ezme’s mug. 

Seeing the mug appear in front of her, Ezme smiled brightly as she looked at Amara and recieved it. 

“Thank you!” The angel exclaimed brightly before immediately turning her eyes back to the anime as she took a sip.

Oh dear, I might get jealous if she remains this enchanted with anime.

But I suppose it isn’t all bad.

Amara sipped her tea and grinned as she stroked Ezme’s wings. The angel didn’t appear to notice at all as her eyes were fixed to the television while savouring the scent of tea, a happy smile on her face.

I really want to taste her lips again. But I shouldn’t pressure her that quickly. 

Fluffles will be mine soon enough. It’s enough to keep her thinking about it.

Amara smiled and pressed her fingers between the warm feathers which caused the angel to jolt. Ezme turned her head and stared at Amara as her face flushed at a rapid rate.

“W-why did you sit so close?! Keep your hands to yourself!” Ezme exclaimed.

Amara smiled and tilted her head. “Why? Is something wrong?”

Ezme diverted her gaze before skittering away to the corner of the sofa and pulling up her knees. Amara feigned a dejected sigh. 

“Why did you move away, Fluffles? You don’t like me touching your wings?” (Amara)

“No!” Ezme exclaimed with a red face and tried to ignore Amara by watching the anime.

“Okay. I’ll never touch your wings again.” Amara said dejectedly. For the next five minutes, anyway.

“Y-you-” Ezme began with a distressed tone before she pouted. “No. I’m not falling for that again.” 

Amara sighed and shook her head with a smile. Damn.

“Besides, you wouldn’t keep your word anyway.” Ezme accused her.

Damn!

Amara smiled. “I can keep my word.” I’d just do something else instead.

“You’d just do something else instead.” Ezme pouted.

Really?! When did you learn this quickly!

Ezme snorted as she turned to look at Amara. “See? You didn’t even deny it!”

“Oh, I was thinking about something else.” Amara shrugged.

Ezme snorted. “Mortals. Like what?” 

“Like…” Amara smiled wryly as she winked. “The things I could do instead.”

Ezme flinched, which made her spill tea over her white garments and she quickly blushed with embarrassment. 

“Look at what you did!” Ezme exclaimed angrily.

“I didn’t do anything.” Amara grinned.

“You were being salacious!” Ezme accused.

“Was I? I think you’re the one being salacious right now.” Amara smiled and let her gaze wander over Ezme’s wet clothing. “You’re quite the seductress, Fluffles.”

“Y-you-” Ezme’s face was beet red when she howled. “You fiend! You insufferable fiend!” 

“If you’re feeling indecent, I’ll happily help clean up your clothes.” Amara grinned. 

Ezme looked like she was about to cry when she averted her eyes from Amara. She aggressively snapped her fingers, returning her clothes to their original appearance and shouted. “I don’t need your help! You should find something else to do! Go do some training!” 

Ezme froze up as a realization dawned on her and looked at Amara as she asked seriously. “Why haven’t you done any training?”

Amara shrugged in response. 

“What does that mean? Amara! You need to practise if you want to have a chance at winning!” Ezme exclaimed.

Amara sighed. “Looking after you was more important.” 

“You…” Ezme’s eyes widened and looked away from Amara as her eyes moistened. 

Amara sipped on her tea as silence ensued. Ezme was the first to continue the conversation.

“You shouldn’t have bothered. Your survival, and the survival of the mortals in your domain, depends on your victory. You shouldn’t have let my problems affect your progress.” Ezme said quietly.

“I disagree.” Amara looked at Ezme and smiled. “I wouldn’t want to train, nor could I focus even if I wanted to, while I know you’re hurting.”

Ezme drew a breath to respond but ended up saying nothing. 

Amara closed the distance on the sofa and stroked Ezme’s wings. “And don’t you dare to try and hide it from me in the future.” 

“But-” (Ezme)

“No buts. I won’t take no for an answer.” Amara said sternly and smiled. 

Ezme sat silently before she nodded. Although Amara couldn’t see Ezme’s face, she appeared to be blushing. “If you insist.”

“I do.” Amara replied and dragged her fingers over Ezme’s bright feathers.

Ezme turned to look accusingly at Amara. “You’re doing it again.”

Amara smiled brightly. “Indeed I am.” 

“Tsk.” Ezme clicked her tongue when she got up from the sofa before looking at Amara. “Get up, we’re getting some training in.”

Amara groaned.

 

__________________

 

“Show me your status.” Ezme said once they reached the training room. 

“You could at least buy me dinner or something before making shameless requests.” Amara grinned.

Ezme snorted and crossed her arms. “You’re the one who’s shameless. And insufferable. Now show me.” 

Amara sighed. Status.

Spoiler

Status

 

Name: Amara

Race: Human (Ascended)

Age: 1993 (Teyrin)

Level: 21

Class: Magician

Titles: 

the Ascended

Learner of Forbidden Knowledge

 

Divine Power:

1 451 728 / 1 451 728  (100%) 

+ 58125/ h (4%)

+ approx. 13 173 000 000 / h (907401%)

 

Mana:

63/63 (100%)

+ 0 / h (0%)

 

Remaining points: 18 

Strength: 235

Agility: 301

Dexterity: 260

Vitality: 277 

Stamina: 253

Willpower: 347

 

Divine Skills:

Spoiler

Angelic Language lvl 14

Language Comprehension lvl 13

Appraisal lvl 8 

Telepathy lvl 23

Creation lvl 29

Realm Gate lvl 26

Open Sesame lvl 6

Select Mouthpiece lvl 1

Divine Body Strengthening lvl 16

Divine Punch lvl 6

Divine Kick lvl 6

Divine Headbutt lvl 3

Divine Regeneration lvl 3

Farsight lvl 29

Mana Sight lvl 17 

Mana Funnel lvl 21

Levitation lvl 27

Explosive Decompression lvl 24

Electricity

Snatch

Make A Call

Maid Service lvl 7

Laser Beam

[collapse]

Class Skills: 

Magic Circle lvl 4

 

Magic Spells:

Spoiler

Flame lvl 14

Fireball lvl 17

Icicle lvl 9

Lightning Bolt lvl 15

[collapse]

 

General Skills: 

Spoiler

Mana Manipulation lvl 33

Sense Mana lvl 13

Selective Hearing lvl 34

Pain Tolerance lvl 5

Fear Suppression lvl 1

Body Strengthening lvl 11

Punching lvl 15

Kicking lvl 16

Headbutting lvl 8

Marksmanship lvl 19

Sword Slash lvl 13

Sword Stab lvl 15

Halberd Slash lvl 12

Halberd Thrust lvl 15

Halberd Chop lvl 6

[collapse]
[collapse]

Amara thought while Ezme inspected her status. She had taken a break from practising after killing the troll and simply studied magic. Once she started practising fighting again, Amara had snatched more sensible punching bags, in order to avoid a repeat of the events with the troll. 

Amara had researched what kind of monsters there were, and taken it slow. She only snatched monsters that were hostile. The easiest way to find monsters, was to simply follow the adventurers that left the towns in the morning to head out on monster subjugations. 

Once the adventurers found and attacked the monsters, Amara would snatch them one at a time if there were several. If there was only one she wouldn’t even steal it every time, but simply send spells or bullets through a Realm Gate to test their effectiveness.

And Amara had greatly begun favouring using spells and the rifle over going in for close combat. The events with the troll had traumatized her, in a way that she never wanted to get in close quarters with a monster without disabling it first. She knew it was a hurdle she would have to overcome, but Amara was still uncomfortable with killing as it was.

Sadly, the spells and bullets didn’t work effectively on larger or stronger targets, which made Amara decide to come up with a spell based on divine power instead of mana - Laser Beam. 

Although it was not very efficient for combat purposes in the beginning, after researching and getting a basic understanding Amara had been able to produce a laser that could burn through every monster she tested it on. Due to its inefficiency, as it was a derivation of the Creation skill, she could only fire it in short bursts. But they were normally enough to fell the kind of monsters that the everyday adventurer was hunting. Especially once she remembered to aim for the head.

An amused smile spread on Amara’s face as she noticed the level of one of her skills.

I need to find something else to do than bash my head against the desk when I mess up setting up Earthen technology. 

Amara glanced at Ezme and saw that she was frowning.

“What’s up?” (Amara)

Ezme glanced up at Amara before she turned her eyes back to the status page. “I don’t like that title.”

Amara shrugged. “Well, it seems useful. I don’t know why the knowledge is forbidden, but I guess it helped me understand my potential a bit better.”

“But I’m worried about what the price of that information is..” Ezme muttered.

Amara smiled and patted Emze’s head. “Could it be that you’re worried?”

Ezme clicked her tongue and slapped Amara’s hand away. “Insufferable.” 

Amara watched as Ezme turned her anxious eyes towards her. “I have a hard time believing that something would be deemed forbidden without good cause. Most likely, it’s dangerous. Promise me that you’ll be careful.”

All I know is that mana and divine power improve each other’s growth. How can that be dangerous? Shame I can’t tell her.

Amara shrugged. “It hasn’t seemed dangerous so far. But if that’s what is needed in order for me to get to pat your feathers, then I’ll promise.”

“My wings were never part of it!” Ezme retorted. 

“Don’t be like that, Fluffles.” Amara grinned.

“Insufferable!” Ezme let out a hopeless sigh. 

Amara smiled and patted Ezme’s wings. “Will you show me your status?” 

Ezme flinched and diverted her eyes. “No.”

Amara tilted her head as she watched Ezme. “Why not?”

“It…” Ezme began before pausing. “It’s private.”

Amara raised an eyebrow. “I’ve shown you mine.”

“Y-yes, but I…” Ezme was fidgeting as she thought of a reply. “I don’t want you to see it. Not yet.”

The corner of Amara’s mouth rose. Let’s see what you’re hiding, Fluffles. Appraisal.

Ezme’s head flew around as she stared at Amara, her jaw tense as if she was struggling with something. 

[Ding!]

[Ding!]

Spoiler

Appraisal was blocked.

Appraisal has reached level 9!

[collapse]

Ezme let out a sigh of relief as Amara read the messages on the screen before turning her eyes to the angel. “You’re quite selfish, Fluffles. I’ve shown you my secrets, it’s only fair you show me yours.” 

Ezme furrowed her brow. “Please don’t appraise me without permission Amara. I have some things I want to keep private for now.” 

Seeing Ezme’s anxious expression, Amara knew that the angel was serious. Amara shrugged and sighed before she smiled. “Fine. I’ll let it be for now.”

Ezme smiled brightly in relief. “Thank you.”

Amara grinned and stroked Ezme’s feathers. Ezme opened her mouth but closed it again as she averted her gaze.

Nawh, look at you. Don’t feel like admonishing me again, do you? Especially when you like it but want to pretend not to.

Amara stroked Ezme’s wings and watched as the angel faintly blushed with a smile on her face.

After a while Ezme turned back to look at Amara. “So what was your training plan?”

Amara shrugged. “I was going to get the Enchanter class. I just need to get to level twenty five and get Magic Circle to level ten.”

Ezme frowned. “What for? Enchanter isn’t a combat class. You know you’ll have to fight, right?”

“I know. But I can do the fighting with my divine power. I was going to learn enchanting to see if I can improve weaponry from Earth. The firearms from Earth are already pretty good against a lot of monsters.” (Amara)

Ezme’s eyes widened and a wide smile spread on her face. “That’s ingenious!”

Amara shrugged. “If I can get the people of Teyrin to use enchanted Earthen weapons too, maybe it could change how the course of the battle goes as well.”

Ezme’s eyes were sparkling as she stared into Amara’s eyes. “How are you going to enchant them? Do you have Earthen weapons here? How do they work? Can I try them?”

A smile spread on Amara’s face as she saw how entranced Ezme was. 

Looks like Ezme will be the one getting training rather than me. 

45