47 – Divine Enchanting 101
925 13 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Anyway, I’ll keep an eye on them in the future. Even if they succeed to get to Teyrin, it won’t be much of a benefit for me yet.

Now then...I was going to try and make an enchantment with divine power. They would be much more useful as I have a larger pool of divine power and can refill it quickly. But do they work the same way?

Amara stood up, heading towards her armory. Let’s see what Morpheus’ weapons look like with Divine Sight.

Arriving at the armory, Amara picked up the halberd from one of the tables she had put her weapons on and activated her divine power, looking at it closely. Divine Sight.

As the skill activated, the halberd appeared to glow with a very faint golden hue. 

So it’s imbued with divine power? When I use Appraisal it says it doesn’t contain divine power, so the divine power in it must already be tied to the item.

Amara started pouring her divine power into the handle, and watched how it was dyed golden as the divine power spread through the handle towards the ends. Suddenly bright, golden magic circles appeared on the shaft, axe blade and spear tip.

Huh. So there’s magic circles for divine power as well.

Amara ceased the flow of divine power into the handle and put the weapon back on the table before heading back to the living room. I was able to cast spells with mana, without magic circles before I got the magician class. I should be able to do the same with divine power. 

Amara picked up fresh paper and sat down on the sofa as she began scribbling a new magic circle.

‘-:

Once invoked and while channeled: display the flames that are produced during the combustion of wood. Divine power required to invoke: 10. Upkeep: 1 divine power / s.’

Let’s see if this works. Divine Sight.

As the streaks of light began flashing before her eyes, Amara brought up more of her divine power and began pouring it in front of her to form a magic circle. It was slow and tedious, just like when she had made magic circles with mana before getting the class skill.

[Ding!]

Spoiler

Divine Sight has reached level 3!

[collapse]

Although Amara didn’t need much divine power to form the magic circle, her lack of control still made her bring more than she needed from its dormant state. Having her divine power active for such a long time, her body heated up and made her start sweating. 

Managing to ignore the increasing discomfort, Amara let out a sigh of relief as she finished the magic circle.

Activate.

The golden magic circle flashed as it activated, but no illusionary flames appeared. Amara frowned as she crossed her arms. Dammit. Maybe it needs more divine power?

After resting her mind and letting her body cool for a moment she began her second attempt, keeping everything the same except for the parts that referred to the cost. 

I have plenty of divine power. Let’s make it a thousand to invoke, and a hundred per second as upkeep.

[Ding!]

Spoiler

Divine Sight has reached level 4!

[collapse]

Amara sighed when she finally brought the magic circle into shape after a few minutes of manipulating the divine power.

Activate.

A yellow flame appeared in the air in front of her as the magic circle flashed brightly. Amara deactivated her Divine Sight to confirm the flame was still there before she cancelled the flow of divine power.

“Haah.” Amara let out a sigh as she leaned back on the sofa and looked up at the ceiling while her body began cooling.

I can make magic circles with divine power. I can probably assume that I can imbue items with divine power as well. 

I’ll just have to figure out how to do it without the class skill. None of the books seemed to go into what imbuing actually is, they only go on about how to use the skill. When I imbued the tea cup, it looked like the imbuement formed a network in it. I guess I’ll just try it out.

 

 

_______________

 

 

 

Why doesn’t it work?!

Amara groaned in disappointment and put the tea cup back on the table before she squeezed her hair. After numerous failed attempts at imbuing an item with divine power, she started to feel helpless. 

She knew that she was partly overreacting, but the discomfort she felt when trying to stay focused while her body grew warmer made her want to vent.

Amara sighed as she eventually relaxed and leaned back on the sofa.

What am I missing? As far as I can tell I’m doing the exact same as when I’m imbuing an item with mana. 

Amara frowned as she came to a conclusion. Maybe I’m just wrong. Maybe it’s not a network at all. 

After all, magic with divine power works only on the mental image, and has worked quite easily in the past.

Amara stood up and grabbed her magnifying glass before heading to the armory. When she arrived, she activated Divine Sight and leaned over the table that the halberd was resting on.

Looking at the weapon through the magnifying glass, she realized what was wrong with her previous attempts.

It’s not a network.

Dammit, I should’ve just had a look at it from the start.

Upon studying the axe blade closely she discovered that the divine power seemed like bright grains of sand. Together they formed sand dunes with wave patterns on them, as the density of divine power increased and decreased, seemingly at random. 

Amara frowned as she wondered how she could relate what she saw to a mental image. If I had to describe it, then I’d say that it looks like dried river beds. Do they have an impact on the flow of divine power?

Amara put her hand against the weapon and poured her divine power into it. Contrary to her expectation, the divine power seemed to flow slightly easier where the imbuement was denser.

Amara sighed as she picked up the weapon to bring it back to her living room. She continued studying it and contemplating before she had an idea.

What about if I considered the imbuement as roadlights? Guiding the way the flow should take?

Amara grabbed her tea cup and brought forth her divine power to try out her new idea.

Divine Sight. 

Focusing on the image of the divine power attaching itself to the molecules that made the cup, she began pouring the divine power into it. 

Amara’s heart leapt in excitement as she realized that the divine power wasn’t merely flowing through the cup as it had previously, but actively poured into the material. She immediately refocused on her mental image, and continued pouring divine power into the cup until it seemed to have been sated, its bright golden hue fading darker.

Amara stopped the flow of divine power and stared at the tea cup. She could clearly see that it held divine power in it, although the wave patterns were far more apparent and irregular than they were on the halberd.

A wide smile grew on her face as Amara felt a great sense of accomplishment and clenched her fists. Yes! I did-

[Clink!]

Ah!

[Klirirlrirl!]

Crap.

As she clenched her fists in celebration, the handle that she had been holding onto broke, causing the tea cup to fall and shatter against the floor. Amara watched as the pieces settled on the floor before she dropped the remaining pieces of the handle on the table and healed the cuts in her hand.

Wiping off the cooling sweat from her forehead, Amara let out a content sigh.

Whatever. I did it!

Time for a bath. 

 

_______________

 

They still haven’t managed to teleport to another world, huh. How many tries is that now? 

Amara sighed as she cancelled Farsight.

Keep it up, sharp ears. You’ll get there eventually. Actually, would they consider that offensive?

Amara relaxed in the warm bath as she considered what her next step should be. 

I hope Ezme gets back soon. She said she would be, but who knows how long that is?

Tsk. Never trust an angel's perception of time.

I guess I’ll just focus on enchanting until Ezme gets back. I’ve managed to make some good progress.

I suppose the next step would be to make items that can store mana or divine power. But that requires a class skill from a class evolution according to the books.

Though if I want to do it with divine power, then isn’t it maybe pointless to wait until I get a class that can do it? After all, doing things with divine power doesn’t rely on classes or class skills at all. 

Amara put her head back on the edge of the bath as she considered.

I’d need an item to study in that case. One that can hold divine power, like Sophelia’s sword. And the only place to find such an item would be Morpheus’ workshop.

Amara frowned as she remembered the angel that was the reason she had been chosen as the champion.

It’s been a while since I last saw him. Most likely he’s been holed up in his room this whole time. 

...Not that I’m much different.

Amara let out a sigh. I should dislike him. I want to dislike him, for pulling me into this mess, but...at the same time, I don’t want to.

He’s a decent person. Should I forgive him?

Getting out of the bath, Amara dried herself with a towel and put on fresh clothes before she went to the kitchen to brew coffee.

Sophelia said I shouldn’t put blame on Morpheus. It seemed like she was saying that Morhpeus wasn’t behind the idea of using a mortal as champion, merely the person who voiced it.

Amara watched the coffee drip as she contemplated.

Ezme told me to give Tom and the angels a chance too. And I get it, some things are necessary from their point of view. I just got the short straw.

Amara suddenly drew a deep breath while scratching the back of her head. Am I not just looking for reasons to forgive Morpheus? Doesn’t that mean I've already forgiven him?

Amara cocked her head and considered as she watched the coffee pot slowly fill up with fresh coffee.

I wonder if he’s ever tried coffee?

 

 

 

Announcement

Amara will eventually start to experiment and customize her own firearms.

Two polls will be used to help Amara narrow down her selection(s). Results of polls may have an influence on Amara's choices. This poll will be related to whether her primary weapon should focus more on penetrative power, or rapid fire.

Assumption: Poll only considers traditional, modern firearms with physical projectiles.

 

Should Amara's firearm lean more towards power, or rapid fire?
  • [BANG!] Votes: 17 37.0%
  • [Bang!] [Bang!] [Bang!] Votes: 19 41.3%
  • [Thrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-] Votes: 10 21.7%
Total voters: 46 · This poll was closed on Apr 30, 2021 04:36 PM.
37