56 – Make It Or Break It
730 8 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hey.” (Amara)

“Hey.” (Ezme)

Well...this is awkward.

Amara scratched the back of her head after greeting a depressed Ezme upon the angel’s return. Seeing her tired and dejected felt like someone had stuck a thorn in her heart. 

I didn’t think she’d take it so hard. Maybe she cares more about her domain than I thought.

“Look, I just wanted to say I’m sorry. I didn’t mean that you should neglect your domain, just...” Amara said hesitantly.

“It’s fine.” Ezme waved her hand with a bitter smile. “And you might have been right. I...wanted to micromanage things in my domain, which I shouldn’t do. I can’t fix everything.”

Huh. So she isn’t sad because of what I said. 

Guess she’s more tired than usual.

Amara looked at the angel with concern. “Are you alright?”

Ezme nodded in response with a tired smile.

Yeah, right, no. You’re not fooling anyone.

“Come here.” Amara pulled the angel in for a hug. She didn’t have to wait long until the angel returned the embrace, seemingly melting against her as Amara held her back. Amara smiled gently as the soft scent of the angel’s hair came over her, while hearing the whisper of her soft breaths.

“Want to sleep? You’re tired, aren’t you?” Amara asked quietly as she stroked Ezme’s back.

Amara smiled as she felt the angel nod against her shoulder. A mischievous thought crossed her mind that made her smile grow to a grin as she leaned down to hook her arm under Ezme’s legs before lifting her up.

Ezme yelped in surprise before she glared at her while muttering. “What are you doing?!”

“Isn’t it obvious? I’m taking my girlfriend to bed.” Amara replied innocently while walking towards the bed. 

“Insolent! I can walk on my own!” Ezme retorted.

“Maybe, but it’s not as romantic.” Amara winked at her.

“This isn’t romantic!” Ezme howled as her face reddened.

“It would be, if you stopped squirming.” Amara grinned.

 

_______________

 

Adorable. 

Amara smiled as she watched as Ezme slept soundly next to her, fingers entwined with her own.

She must have been very tired. 

She stroked the sleeping angel’s cheek with a finger. Over the last few years, Amara had spent less and less time with Ezme, who was constantly out on missions. And when she wasn’t out on missions, Ezme had to deal with matters in her domain as well. 

More often than not, the angel would return with a tired smile on her face. It was evident how worn out Ezme was not only by her appearance, but also by her behaviour. It wouldn’t take long for her after debriefing Amara on her progress, before she would get distracted or glance towards the bed.

Though she’s pretty cute when she does.

While Ezme would rarely suggest it, it was clear what she wished for. Even if Amara did want to spend the time catching up, she knew she would feel guilty if she kept her up for her own sake. Although she knew she could be selfish at times, it wasn’t to the extent that she would put her own wishes over Ezme’s need for rest.

Though if she would stand up for herself and just say no to Alarice once in a while, she’d get enough rest and get some time to spend with me. As far as I know, Ezme didn’t have to work so hard before. That bitch is clearly just throwing assignments at Ezme to-

Amara’s frustration dissipated as she watched when Ezme suddenly smacked her lips in her sleep. A grin spread on her face as she spoke quietly. “Good morning, Fluffles.”

Ezme rubbed her eyes and yawned before she replied. “Morning.”

“Coffee?” Amara asked as she patted her hair. 

“Yes please.” Ezme smiled and yawned again. 

Amara gave the angel a peck on the cheek before she got up. Looking back at the angel that rubbed her cheek sleepily, she smiled widely and went to the kitchen to brew coffee for them. By the time she returned, Ezme had moved from the bed to the sofa and put an anime rolling on the screen. 

After seating herself next to the angel, they enjoyed their warm drinks while watching the episode in silence, aside from the occasional snicker.

Amara glanced at Ezme whose eyes were locked on the screen with a bright smile. Seems like she got a good rest. She’s bright and alert.

Once the credits were rolling on the screen, Amara picked up the pile of notes she had written. “I came up with a few ideas you can do with your domain.”

Which would have been hard if I hadn't been able to base some of the ideas on a few international organizations on Earth.

“Really?!” Ezme exclaimed excitedly.

Amara nodded. “Want to go through them together?”

“Yes!” Ezme said with sparkling eyes as she smiled brightly at her. Amara couldn’t stop her lips from rising as she watched the angel’s twitching wings. 

Adorable. It was worth it just for this.

Amara leaned back as she showed the notes to Ezme. “Mortals need a good motivator. The best one to get the mortals into action, is the threat of dying.”

Ezme frowned as her smile turned bitter. “But they know that the demons might be coming...will be coming, eventually. But they still don’t really care.”

“That’s because the threat isn’t tangible enough to them.” Amara explained. “Unless they witness the threat the demons pose to them, they won’t really take action.”

“Then there’s nothing to be done, is there?” Ezme asked dejectedly. “They won’t see it until it’s too late. Until the demons are already in my domain.”

“True. Unless...you bring them to the demons.” Amara suggested. 

Ezme raised an eyebrow. “Bring them to the demons?”

“Pick a few individuals with authority - like royalty -  and dump them in a world at war with the demons.” Amara shrugged. “That way, they’ll get to see what awaits their own world. Maybe even let a team of fighters go to help in defending that world. If the people that go are respected among the population, it will have a larger influence. Repeat until public opinion has changed.”

Ezme listened carefully with a frown on her face without commenting until she was finished. “I don’t know...I don’t know if they’d agree to go to another world...and if it’s at war...”

“We could just kidnap them.” Amara replied with a mischievous grin.

Ezme turned to stare at her with eyes widened. “What? What’s wrong with you?! We can’t do that!”

Amara shrugged with a smile. “Why not? They are allowed to live in privilege because they have duties to perform. One of which is to accurately assess the threats to the people they are supposed to protect.”

“But I…” Ezme sighed dejectedly. “But if I do that, I don’t know if they’ll want to follow my will in the future.”

“Then I’ll do it.” Amara suggested. 

Ezme stared at her as her jaw dropped. After a few moments it closed. “What?”

“I can do it. That way, they can’t hold you accountable for it.” Amara shrugged.

“I’m accountable if I know about it! This is my domain we’re talking about!” Ezme retorted. “I don’t think I can let you do this.”

Amara smiled wryly. “You can’t stop me if I choose to do it though? I can do it while you’re out on missions.”

Ezme looked at her with a horrified expression. “You can’t.”

“Come on, Fluffles. What’s so negative about it?” Amara wrapped her arm around the angel and met her gaze. “It wouldn’t be that bad. A quick in and out. And I’d keep an eye on them the whole time.”

Ezme frowned as she contemplated before she sighed. “I’ll think about it.”

Amara stroked her warm feathers. “You can ask them nicely first, and if they refuse I’ll play the bad cop.” 

Ezme was silent for a while before her eyes moved to the notes. “What other ideas did you have?”

Amara smiled. “If the threat of death can’t be used, then people will only be motivated by the promise of a reward. Nobody wants to die, and nobody wants to die poor.”

Ezme raised an eyebrow in confusion as she looked at her. “A reward? How?”

“We’ll get to that in a moment.” Amara took a deep breath before she started explaining. “First of all, we should centralize the efforts in each world when it comes to the preparations. Rather than having all countries prepare individually, it would be better to have them pay a cut of their tax revenue to an organization that oversees the efforts. They would be responsible for things such as stocking up on weapons and building forts. And if all countries practice mandatory military service, then the soldiers could after their initial training be assigned to work for the organization for a brief period as the final part. The organization would not be tied to any one country, and thus their efforts would be viewed as fair.”

Something similar to defense pacts used on Earth.

“...But how would you choose people to lead the organization? Wouldn’t they be partial to one country or another, based on where they were born?” Ezme asked.

“Not unless they already work in an organization that isn’t bound to any one country.” Amara explained and gave Ezme a knowing look.

Ezme’s eyes widened in realization. “The priests?”

“Yes.” Amara smiled. “They’re perfect. They are willing to listen to you, independent from the nations, and have the respect of the people. The only ones who would have a problem with them are those that would feel threatened by their power, but if they have no other purpose than to protect everyone, it would be easier for them to get accepted. As long as they stay away from politics and avoid increasing their influence beyond their initial purpose, it should be fine.”

“...Right.” Ezme nodded in agreement and glanced at the notes. “But none of the countries would be willing to simply give away a portion of their taxes, would they? Is that where the reward you mentioned comes in?”

“Exactly.” Amara smiled. “We make the effort to prepare for war into a competition. The tax they pay is the entry fee for the competition.”

“A competition?” Ezme looked at her curiously.

Amara nodded. “A tournament for instance. Where each year’s batch of people who have done their military service have an opportunity to compete. The countries that get the best results are rewarded, as well as the soldiers with the best individual performance. The branches of competition could be things like archery, swordsmanship and so on, as well as craftsmanship.”

Courtesy of the olympics. A bit ironic however, since rather than promoting unity for the purpose of world peace, it’s unity for the purpose of preparing for a world at war.

“I see. And what kind of rewards were you thinking?” Ezme asked while seemingly hooked on the idea.

“A simple one would be tax exemptions, and thus free entry into the competition the following year. Furthermore, if the organization is run by the priests, then they could offer their healing services at a discount during the following year for the citizens of the winning country.” Amara explained. “Things like that should be the standard...which then is combined with other rewards. The key is to make it appealing to both the country, as well as the general public. Appealing enough for countries to want to take part, even if they don't win the competition.”

“I see!” Ezme smiled excitedly. “I think that could work…”

Amara hesitated before she stated the idea that she felt a bit more unsure about. “Knowledge can also serve as a reward, which could serve as community goals for all participating countries. Like a collection of the new spells or enchanted items I can make, could be made part of the reward. Or I could compile other knowledge, like about non-magical treatment methods from Earth...antibiotics would probably be a game changer...” Amara’s voice faded as she came up with a few new ideas, but she shook her head before she continued rambling. “Anyway, depending on the reward, you could make it so the country that wins gets them first. Then after a certain period of time it gets published for the others. If it’s something revolutionaty - like a cellphone that works with magic - the country that wins could get the time to study and recreate it. The chance to establish a monopoly on something like that is a difficult opportunity to refuse.”

Though any new knowledge would have to be carefully considered beforehand. With the right knowledge, things could change quickly. And not necessarily for the better.

Ezme nodded, seemingly engrossed with the idea. “Yes...yes, this could work…”

Amara smiled. “As long as we can prepare a list of hefty rewards for the first ten years or so that it’s attractive enough, it’s enough to kickstart the whole thing.”

Ezme was silent for a while flipping through the notes. After some time, Amara noticed how she seemed to be squeezing the papers. 

Amara frowned as she tried to look at the angel’s face. “Is something wrong?”

In an instant, Ezme had turned and lunged at her. Amara’s eyes widened in surprise at how tightly she was hugged, but after a moment she smiled and wrapped her arms around the angel’s frame. 

“Thank you.” Ezme’s hair tickled Amara’s face as she heard the choked whisper.

Seems like it really meant a lot to her.

Amara smiled as she stroked her back. “You’re welcome, Fluffles.”

After hugging for a while, Ezme pulled away and pressed her lips against Amara’s. Again she was taken by surprise, but was quick to respond to the tongue that invaded her mouth. Once they had found their pace, Amara realized that Ezme seemed to be far more affectionate in her actions than usual.

[Ding-dong!]

Son of a…

Amara sighed as the angel pulled away from her reluctantly. She took in Ezme’s embarrassed appearance as she was moving away from her.

Something was different about that kiss. Was it just because she was feeling grateful? I had a feeling it was something more-

“Ezme.” The familiar cold voice came from the alcove, interrupting Amara’s thoughts. She took a deep breath to mentally prepare herself to deal with the intruder.

Of course. The bitch.

Perfect. Just absolutely perfect.

“You’re needed elsewhere. Come with me.” Alarice continued, her lips set in the usual straight line on her expressionless face as Amara turned to look. 

As Ezme was about to stand up, Amara put her hand on her shoulder. “We’re busy. Come back later.”

Alarice turned her icy blue eyes to meet her gaze. “Whatever you’re doing is of no importance.” 

“How would you know?” Amara frowned. “We’re discussing how to prepare her domain.” 

“And it’s of no importance.” Alarice repeated.

“Amara…” Ezme began hesitantly, but Amara stood up and faced the unwelcome guest. Sorry Ezme, but I have to do this.

“And here I thought that you angels were supposed to protect the mortals.” Amara retorted as she glared at Alarice. “Makes you all seem really incompetent when you do nothing to help them prepare, you know.”

Alarice’s expression didn’t change as she continued looking at her. “We inform them of the coming of demons. That is enough.”

“Really?” Amara scoffed. “I’d say that maybe you seem to be losing ground because you’re not doing more to prepare them.”

A flash of irritation gleamed in Alarice’s eyes. “Our strength lies in killing demons, not coddling those who have neither the strength nor ambition to fend for themselves. We don’t aid the mortals further because in the time it would take to prepare one world, a dozen could be cleansed.”

Alarice turned her head to Ezme, before she spoke curtly in an icy tone. “Ezme.”

“Y-yes!” Ezme shot up from the sofa and walked towards the alcove. Alarice seemed to be satisfied with her response, as she turned to leave.

Amara grit her teeth in frustration. No.

She jogged after the angel and grabbed her arm once she caught up to her in the other room. “Wait.”

Ezme stopped and looked anxiously between her and the angel that stopped at the same time by the large bronze doors. Alarice turned her head and gave her an icy glare. “Don’t interfere, mortal. Your selfishness is impeding her duties.”

Amara clenched her jaw. Come on, Amara. Think!

“I need to talk to her.” Amara declared as she glared back at her. “Which she is obligated to do, when I have questions.”

“She is not obligated to do that upon your beck and call, when her duties take precedence.” Alarice declared coldly. “You’ll have to wait.”

“No.” Amara shook her head as an idea took form in her head. Something she knew deep down was a very stupid idea. “You’ll be the one to wait. Which you can do outside.”

Explosive Decompression!

Amara had just enough time to register the surprise in Alarice’s eyes before the angel was yanked back through the white mist that manifested with a bang. As soon as the mist cleared and she saw that Alarice had been thrown outside the doors as planned, a grin spread on her face. The doors had been affected as well, and were only half open.

With a quick modification to the mental image of how she usually used her first skill, she cast it in quick succession.

Open Sesame!

Amara grinned as the doors shut, and let out a sigh. I'm going to have to pay for that in a few moments. 

But it was totally worth it.

Amara turned to look at Ezme, who stared with her mouth agape in shock.

Ah. Will she be mad at me?

She does hold a lot of respect for Alarice after all...

“Don’t worry. She can take it.” Amara said with a forced smile. “Right?”

Ezme turned to look at her in shock, before she turned her eyes to the door with an anxious expression. Amara watched as she suddenly closed her eyes and bit her lip. 

Telepathy? 

Maybe she’s calming Alarice down. She’s probably pissed. 

...I wasn’t planning on making her have to deal with a pissed off bitch. Damn it.

Amara pinched the bridge of her nose as she started regretting her actions for a different reason than she expected. Her thoughts were interrupted by Ezme’s stern voice.

“That was stupid, Amara.” Ezme sighed and crossed her arms as she looked at her. “So, what did you need? I’ve got to go.”

Damn it. Amara sighed as she looked at Ezme apologetically. “Sorry. It’s just…”

“...Just what?” Ezme pressed. 

Amara looked at her helplessly as she felt her frustration rise. “I get that she raised you and all, but don’t you disagree with her?”

Ezme’s eyes widened in surprise, and was about to respond when Amara continued. “By the sounds of it, she doesn’t even want you to prepare your domain! So why do you follow her every whim?!”

The angel’s expression darkened. “This is what you wanted to talk about? Amara, I know that you have your differences with-”

“This isn’t about what I think about her!” Amara exclaimed. “This is about you! You need to stand up for yourself, and do what you think is right yourself!”

Ezme inclined her head to hide her face from her view. “Sister Alarice is experienced, and I follow her because she’s teaching me...”

“Teaching you what?” Amara interrupted. “To become like her?”

Ezme was silent while she seemed to stare at the floor. Amara sighed. “Do you even want to become like her? Is that why you use her appearance?”

Ezme’s head shot up to meet her gaze, and she could see how the angel’s eyes shook. 

“Ezme.” Amara reached out and cupped Ezme’s cheek with her palm. “You’re not Alarice, and you never will be. Because you’re your own person, with your own strengths and weaknesses. It’s time you stepped out of Alarice’s shadow, and walked your own path.”

As she said the words, a part of her regretted them because she knew she had sounded harsh. But Amara didn’t think she was wrong in saying them. Because she thought Ezme needed to hear them.

Please.

Ezme’s gaze dropped as she inclined her head again. “I…” 

Amara was thinking about how to continue when Ezme suddenly reached up and pushed her hand away from her cheek. “I’ll go.”

“Ezme-” Amara felt her heart drop when she heard Ezme's thick voice and saw her turn away without looking at her. The angel walked straight for the doors that opened with a flick of her wrist. Amara thought she saw her shoulders shaking. 

“Ezme!” Amara called out as she moved to follow after her. Ezme was already beyond the doors, and with another flick of her wrist the doors started closing. 

Open Sesame!

Amara felt how her divine power started to get drained, but the doors continued closing. She started running towards the doors while pouring more divine power into the skill, but it had no effect.

By the time she reached the doors, the gap was too small for her to get through. She had just enough time to see the white wings disappear from view as she shouted after her before the doors closed shut. “EZME!”

Damn it!

Amara grit her teeth as she finally cancelled her skill as she knew Ezme was keeping her from following. She put her forehead against the cold bronze door.

Damn it!!

DAMN IT!!!

[Ding!]

Spoiler

Divine Punch has reached level 12!

[collapse]

 

36