60 – Catching Up
736 12 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“...I didn’t expect Fluffles to be such a good speaker.” Morpheus suddenly spoke while they watched the closing ceremony from their seats in Amara’s living room.

Recalling how Ezme had stood in front of one of the mirror-like walls, pacing while muttering to herself as she was preparing for her speeches, Amara smiled wryly. “She prepared the speeches beforehand.” 

“I see! Did you help her with that as well?” Morpheus asked curiously. 

Amara shook her head. “I gave her my opinion on them, but she mostly did it herself.”

After all, she needs to be the one that speaks, and therefore believe in the words she says herself. Although… Amara cocked her head as she watched how Ezme returned to her seat after speaking with the challengers that had faced the archdemon. I think the speech still lacked a bit of emotion compared to when she practised.

She’s trying hard to come across as a dignified, superior being when dealing with the mortals. Of course, I know that she was trying to avoid embarrassing herself by stumbling over the words, but…

“...Fluffles is really loved by her mortals.” Morpheus said with a faint tinge of envy in his voice.

Recalling how Ezme’s wings were twitching from happiness from the cheers made by the crowd after she defeated the archdemon, Amara smiled wryly. “She has put in a lot of effort for her people. If you did the same, you would be too.”

“...Although I’ve forgotten most of the details, I recall that the mortals were skeptical when I tried to help them.” Morpheus sighed.

Amara put her hand out and patted the angel’s shoulder, despite not being able to see him as her vision was filled with the scene on Ramay through Farsight. “Mortals, or at least humans, tend to be like that. They will remain skeptical of your ability and your motives until you’ve proven yourself.”

“...I see.” Morpheus replied. 

“If you want to rule your domain directly again, I think Ezme would be willing to give you some pointers if you asked?” Amara suggested.

After a few seconds of silence, Morpheus replied. “...No. Perhaps one day, but...I don’t have the time for it right now. Perhaps once the war is over, when my weapons are no longer needed.”

“Fair enough.” Amara shrugged as they watched the final closing ceremony begin. Cancelling her Farsight to get a new drink for herself, she noticed that Morpheus hadn’t touched any of the popcorn that she had prepared.

Amara frowned as she looked at Morpheus. “You didn’t want popcorn?”

Morpheus blinked as his gaze returned to the room, glancing at the bowls in front of him before looking at her dejectedly. “You said there was a bowl with my name on it...but I couldn’t find it.”

Amara resisted the urge to facepalm. With a smile she explained calmly. “Morpheus...what I meant was that I’ve prepared popcorn for you.”

“...Oh.” Morpheus looked at the popcorn with confusion. “Then these are for me?”

Amara nodded, and watched how Morpheus’ face broke into a smile as he picked up a bowl of popcorn. 

Shaking her head in amusement, Amara reactivated Farsight to return to Ramay. After a while, Morpheus’ confused tone reached her.

“Then why didn’t you simply say that?” (Morpheus)

Amara let out a faint sigh and shrugged. “Habit, I suppose. Mortals - or humans, at least - like to play with words.”

“...But why?” Morpheus asked. “Isn’t it cumbersome? Why complicate things?” 

Amara smiled wryly. “We’re pretty social creatures, and I suppose it’s a way to liven up our interactions.”

After a few moments of silence, Morpheus replied again in a confused tone. “Mortals are confusing.”

...Ah, Morpheus. Amara sighed with a faint smile.

 

_______________

 

“I assume you heard the lewd princess’ request?” Ezme asked when they sat in the living room upon her return.

“...Her name is Isabella.” Amara replied as her smile twitched. 

“Hmm? Ah, yes.” Ezme’s dangerous smile didn’t quite reach her eyes. “Of course, you’re well acquainted with her. I almost forgot.” 

Uh-oh. Amara decided to quickly answer her question to divert the topic. “Yes, I can get corn for her, but I’d be careful. Giving them a new crop could be devastating.”

“What?” Ezme’s eyes widened in surprise. “Why?”

Amara wrapped her arm around the angel’s shoulders as she started explaining. “Because foreign crops can carry insects or diseases with them that could infect the native crops. Even on Earth, every area has their own restrictions on what you can bring with you from abroad for that very reason, and that’s within a single world. Bringing them across worlds...the outcome could be even worse.”

“I see…” Ezme muttered as she fell into thought. 

Amara sighed as she patted the warm feathers with a smile. “I know you don’t want to let your people down. If they want it, I’ll do my best to get it for them and remove any diseases they could carry. But you should tell them of the risks so they are aware of possible consequences beforehand.”

“I will.” Ezme looked at her with a bright smile. “Thank you.”

“Anything for you, Fluffles.” Amara winked. 

Ezme blushed faintly and clicked her tongue as she averted her eyes. “Shameless.”

“I know.” Amara grinned. “By the way, I think there’s a way for you to gain further support.”

“Oh?” Ezme tilted her head curiously. 

“Yes.” Amara stroked the white feathers. “You should show the mortals more of who you are. Right now, you mostly focus on your role as their goddess.”

Ezme frowned as she retorted. “But my role is to be their goddess!”

“And they already know that.” Amara cocked her head. “But who is their goddess?”

The angel frowned in confusion. “What do you mean?”

Amara smiled as she began. “When you’ve interacted with the mortals, you have only talked about how and why they should act. Aside from a few exceptions, you haven’t let them know who you are.”

Ezme raised an eyebrow. “Why should I do that? I’m their goddess.”

Amara sighed. “Because the people won’t be able to relate to you. Yes, you need to explain why they need to act. But they don’t know why you’re acting yourself. Are you acting out of concern for them? Or are you merely using them for your own benefit?”

“It’s out of concern!” Ezme immediately retorted.

“I know that. And maybe the priests do.” Amara replied. “But do the masses know? You’ve never told them, and during your speeches you keep an expressionless face - and your speech was mostly emotionless.”

Ezme frowned and lowered her head before she replied quietly. “Alarice said that if I show the mortals my feelings, they’ll be less inclined to respect me.”

...Of course the bitch would say that. Amara frowned. And the worst part is, she might have a point.  

Amara let out a sigh and shook Alarice off her mind. “Yes, some might not respect you anymore. But I think your position will be firmer, because people would respect you because of what you stand for, rather than your standing.”

“...I’ll think about it.” Ezme fell silent for a while. “But if I were to consider it, then...how should I...?”

Amara smiled wryly. “Don’t they ask you questions all the time? Just answer their questions. And don’t try too hard to come across as someone dignified.”

“Are you saying I’m not dignified?!” Ezme howled as her face reddened in anger.

“You are.” Amara grinned. “But you’re already dignified enough without putting effort into it. Just let your natural dignity show.”

“Hmpf.” Ezme averted her gaze and crossed her arms.

“After all, you’re an angel.” Amara smiled wryly as she hugged Ezme’s shoulders. “There’s no way you’re not dignified.”

“That’s rig-” Ezme suddenly narrowed her eyes and glared at her. “Why do I have a feeling you were mocking angels?” 

“I have no idea what you mean, Fluffles.” Amara said innocently.

“Tsk. Insolent mortal.” Ezme suddenly smiled coldly. “That reminds me...”

Amara’s smile stiffened as she lowered her gaze. “...Are you angry?” 

“Angry? What would I be angry about?” Ezme smiled as she leaned over her, trapping Amara between her arms as she placed her hands on the backrest. “Oh, it’s not like you pretended not to know about something I thought was secret, and then decided to use that knowledge to secretly manipulate me…”

While speaking, Ezme’s eyes gradually started glowing. When Amara heard the muted groan from the cushions behind her as they were squeezed, she gulped audibly. “I’m sorry.”

“Hmm, it’s good that you’re apologetic.” Ezme cocked her head as she stared into her eyes. “But even criminals that are sorry do not escape punishment.”

“Ezm-” Amara began before she was stopped by a finger on her lips.

“Amara. This is about justice.” Ezme blinked before her smile suddenly turned triumphant. “I wouldn’t be making a good example if I simply let you off now, would I?” 

As the angel leaned in to meet their lips, Amara’s anxiety and confusion quickly washed away before the corners of her mouth rose. Damn, you got me good. 

Well played, Fluffles. 

 

________________

 

Definitely worth it.

Amara took a deep breath and stretched on the bed as she woke up. Letting out a sigh as she relaxed, she looked at the empty spot next to her with a wry smile.

...Maybe I should anger her again sometime. Just a little.

Although Amara felt a little disappointed that she didn’t get to see Ezme sleeping adorably next to her, she wasn’t going to complain. At least, she didn’t intend to yet.

Fluffles really has her plate full, trying to fulfill both her regular duties of holding back demons, combined with reforming her domain.

Over two hundred worlds...even if she spent one day per world, it would already take the better part of a year. Two days, and the days in a year wouldn’t be enough. And the progress one can achieve per day isn't much, even if the reforms aren't met with resistance.

At least we aren’t trying to do all of them at once.

Amara let out a sigh and picked up her phone to check her calendar. 

Two days off...Ezme will be on patrol. Day after that, Ezme needs to go to the fifty-seventh world in the list to propose the reforms, as well as check on the progress on world seventeen.

Ever since Ezme began her reforms, she had essentially worked as Ezme’s secretary by managing her schedule and keeping track of progress. 

How Ezme managed to keep track of each world before, I have no idea. 

I’m starting to understand why the angels don’t bother to remember the names of mortals, even if they are in local positions of note.

The task of reforming Ezme’s domain quickly increased in complexity when each world had different political structures. And since Ezme’s position wasn’t as strong in each world, some would require more time than others to be convinced of the benefits of the reforms. 

Ramay had proven to be a piece of cake in hindsight, where Ezme’s position was significantly stronger than in other worlds. Ezme had explained that Ramay had been the first world she introduced herself in when she was given a domain, and had spent a lot of time there establishing her position in the beginning. However, once she realized - after being scolded by Alarice - that spending so much time on each world would affect her real duties, she had to make her visits more brief. 

Although Ezme gave such an explanation, as well as insisting that she didn't hold any world in higher regard than others, Amara thought it was evident that Ramay held a special position in the angel’s heart as the de facto capital world in her domain.

Amara put down her phone as she got up and stretched once again, before heading out of the bedroom with a smile. 

Time for some practise.

 

 

_______________

 

[Clang!]

[Clang!]

[Ding!]

Spoiler

Sword Parrying has reached level 17!

[collapse]

  

Nice.

[Clang!]

Amara bent her back as she dodged the incoming blade. Stepping under the demon’s arm as the axe swept over her, she quickly brought her blade up and sliced the unarmoured armpit. 

Noticing in the corner of her eye how the demon flinched in pain and reflexively stepped away to get distance from her, Amara decided to give the other demon her full attention. 

As the assassin came at her with his daggers, Amara took a defensive stance. Show me what you got!

Under the flurry of stabs and slashes that came at her, Amara’s sword swished through the air as she tried to keep up without being forced back. Although she was forced to retreat two steps during the initial intensity, a grin spread on her face as she caught up and brought the assault to a stalemate. 

[Ding!]

Spoiler

Sword Parrying has reached level 18!

[collapse]

That was fast! Nice!

Noticing how the first demon was returning with his axe raised, Amara calculated in her mind the best way to deal with both of the demons. 

Now!

Amara quickly stepped back to get out of range of the assassin’s stab, while feeding divine power into the sword she brought up.

[Clang!]

The force in the blow shook Amara’s arms. After putting more strength behind her blade, she felt how her body heated up faintly by the subconscious use of divine power.

As soon as the axe was pushed away, she brought the sword down before making a swift thrust through the demon’s neck. 

Taking another step back while bringing the blade out from the collapsing demon, she turned her eyes to the assassin that should be an instant from striking her. 

Except the room was empty. 

With a frown, Amara looked around suspiciously. Stealth?

I thought assassins below level seventy five were only able to-

[Ding-dong!]

...Crap!

Amara rushed towards the alcove to catch up with the escaping demon, sword in hand. As soon as she entered the main hall however, she saw that her assumption of the demon already leaving was wrong.

The demon was floating in the air, relentlessly attacking the extended arm of the familiar, blonde angel that was holding him up by his neck while watching him struggle with a tilted head.

As she noticed Amara’s entry, Sophelia turned her head and looked at her with a gentle smile. “Ah, champion.”

“...Sophelia.” Amara replied in greeting as she frowned in confusion. What’s she doing here?

Sophelia smiled and slowly closed and opened her eyes, ignoring the struggling demon. “Do you still need this one?”

Amara shook her head. “No. I’m done.”

“I see.” The demon suddenly twitched as Sophelia tightened her grip. When the demon became still, Sophelia let the corpse fall to the floor. “I see you’re hard at work making progress.”

Amara frowned as she glanced at the corpse. “Not much progress to speak of though.”

Not enough compared to the level I want to be, anyway. I still haven’t reached level fifty.

Sophelia blinked slowly. “It is good that you have a goal, as well as the motivation to reach it.”

“...I suppose that’s true.” Amara shrugged before she met Sophelia’s gaze. “So why are you here?”

As her tone was a little bit harsher than she intended, Amara felt a tinge of regret. Sophelia’s only been helpful to me thus far. But...I know I might be dramatic, but what she said last time bothers me. 

{“The champion is of more value to us intact.” (Sophelia)}

...I just don’t know where we stand anymore. 

Sophelia tilted her head with a faint smile, seemingly not offended. “I had some time on my hands, and was curious to try some of this tea you mentioned.”

Amara raised an eyebrow. You came here for a cup of tea?

...Yeah, no way.

 

34