64 – (Un)expectations
693 8 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When she joined the late meeting on the day after she had made first contact, the conversation took a turn when the subject became Amara. The pope took the initiative and led the conversation by asking questions about her life story, what she had experienced and learned in the silver city, as well as what the society of Earth that she had grown up in was like.

And the last one of those quickly became a source of debate. The humans became even more doubtful about Amara when she revealed that Earth had been abandoned by God and the angels. 

For the elves however, the revelation rather made them seem even more interested in her. And when the subject moved on to how many of the countries of Earth were democratic, the conversation became even more tense. Amara had somewhat expected that fact to be met with doubt after hearing from Ezme how the humans on Ramay reacted, but she hadn’t expected there to be others defending the concept for her, other than a few human idealists.

Although she didn’t find out the exact details, Amara realized that the elves practised some form of governing that was at least similar to the democracies of Earth. But one thing was clear - the elven society was much more lax and individualistic, where outside of crises and annual events, the elves interacted little with each other compared to humans.

Long after the sun had set and the only source of light for the mortals were the candles and magical lamps, they decided to adjourn the meeting for the day. As soon as the decision was made, Aleesha addressed Amara hopefully. “Amara, could we have that private meeting now?” 

Campbell glanced at Aleesha thoughtfully before following up her request with his own. “I’d like to speak privately with Amara as well.”

[Sure thing.] Amara told Amin before she fell into thought. I wonder what they’d like to talk to me about?

As soon as Amin and the elves were alone in the room, Aleesha spoke seriously. “Amara. I want you to know that we elves will not look down on you because your people were abandoned. Because...we were abandoned as well.”

Amara was stumped. And through the call, she felt Amin was too.

[The elves were...abandoned?] (Amin)

Amara frowned as she fell into thought. [Ask her if it’s just the elves, or all the people on Whildernae.]

Once Amin repeated her question, Aleesha’s ears swayed when she shook her head. “Just us elves. I was hoping you might know something and confirm whether some of the rumours are true.”

Amin crossed his arms with a thoughtful expression. “What rumours?” 

Amara smiled wryly. [Aren’t you a good little mortal? I didn’t even have to tell you to ask! Attaboy!] 

[Shut up. This isn’t the time for jokes.] Amin replied seriously.

Aleesha knit her brows as she took a deep breath. “They say that we fell out of favour because our ancestors...betrayed the gods. That our actions spawned the first demon lord.”

While Amin was staring at the elf in disbelief, Amara raised an eyebrow. The demon lords are supposed to be angels? 

Right...according to the bitch, the first demon lord was her brother Alaric. Turned into a demon lord after getting captured by falling into a trap set by the mortals and demons. 

Mortals in this case meaning the elves? Alarice did say that they were betrayed by mortals…

[...Alarice has a brother?] Amin asked as his disbelief grew.

[Eavesdropping now, are we? Bad mortal!] Amara snorted. [But yes. Did you hear all of that?]

[More or less?] (Amin)

[Then you can tell her.] Amara crossed her arms and let out a sigh.

Amin hesitated before he met Aleesha’s anxious gaze. “Amara says that it might be true. The first demon lord was an angel named Alaric, Alarice’s brother, who was betrayed by mortals who worked with the demons to capture him.”

Aleesha lowered her gaze as she let out a dejected sigh. “...I see. Then it is likely true.”

The room was silent for a while. Amara felt a flurry of emotions from Amin, as he looked at the elf with a conflicted expression. Is he pitying her?

Aleesha suddenly took a breath and shook her head while raising her gaze. “In any event...whether they are true or not, those rumours are quite widespread. I said before that some of the worlds we visited had natives that were hostile to us. But in truth...had we not been elves, we might have been able to initiate a discussion with them.”

Amara rested her cheek against her palm as she looked at Aleesha through Farsight. [This is why she was hesitant towards working as an ambassador in the future, wasn’t it?]

Aleesha nodded once Amin had repeated her question. “Indeed. If the fact that we are elves is what hinders the conversation, it would be better for us not to do it.”

Amara sighed and fell in thought. Damn it. The elves are the most capable for the task. 

And the fact that they still get shunned because of something someone did in the past...it’s all because of that damn bitch. [Hear that Amin? Look at how your favourite goddess is messing things up for us! Making the elves suffer for crimes none of them played a part in!]

Amara snorted as the call was silent. Whatever. But moving forward...maybe a mixed group of ambassadors? All from different races? That would lessen the negative impact that an elf in the party might have to those that are discriminating against them…

And then there’s the matter of teleporting between worlds. The only method at the moment is by using archmages, which are few and far between among the mortals. Though Vandelor has already visited a few worlds, and therefore should be able to get back there with ease. Even if they can’t establish friendly contacts with others because of those rumours, they can still find the path to new worlds and identify the problem ones for non-elves to come back to later.

[Alright Amin, listen up! Here’s how…] (Amara)

Aleesha met the suggestion with fervor in her eyes. She glanced back at Vandelor, who gave a nod of approval before she turned back towards Amin with a smile. “That would work. We would be more than delighted to take part, as well as assist the delegation to the other worlds.”

 

The private meeting with the elves concluded after Aleesha asked if Amara could find out more about the event that had resulted in her people falling out of favour with the angels. Although Amara had said that she was unsure whether any of the angels that knew would be willing to speak to her about it, she promised to ask around when the opportunity arose. 

Seemingly satisfied with what they had gotten out of the meeting, despite the half-confirmation of their ancestors’ sins, the trio of elves left to give Campbell the opportunity to have his own private meeting. As they were leaving, Amara smiled wryly as she noticed how Amin was watching them. [Ho-ho-ho. So that’s why you’re biased!] 

Amin blinked and furrowed his brow in confusion. [What bias?]

[When you found out that Earth was abandoned, you were like ‘what kind of fools are the people of Earth?’. In comparison, when you found out that the elves were abandoned as well...]

Amin’s eyes widened in realization before he quickly crossed his arms. [It’s...different.]

[Indeed it is.] The corners of her lips grew higher. [You got a thing for her, don’t you?]

Amin didn’t make the slightest movement as he slowly replied. [I don’t know what you mean.] 

[Please.] Amara snorted as she crossed her arms while watching him smugly. [You were ogling those swaying hips as if you’re an insomniac who lost his pendulum!]

[They don’t swa-] Amin cut himself off and coughed into his fist before he retorted. [I wasn’t ogling her!]

[Your blushing face says you were.] Amara grinned as she teased. [Come on. There’s no need to be shy!]

[Why don’t you stop being crass-] (Amin)

Amin didn’t have the time to finish his reply as the pope, Campbell entered the room. When he stopped before Amin, he cast his eyes down with a pitiful expression. “Amara. I must admit that when I first learned that you were different from what we expected, I was...momentarily disheartened. And for that, I wish to apologize.” 

...Now what’s this? Amara raised an eyebrow before she realized that she needed to give a response. [I expected as much, so it’s fine.] 

Campbell shook his head vigorously. “It is not. The fact remains that you were chosen as champion, and I am the leader of your faithful followers, who should be serving you wholeheartedly. But after thinking about all you have said, I found my conviction.”

As the pope made a dramatic pause to take a deep breath while his expression grew determined, Amara’s lips twitched. Wow. He’s got a great sense for theatrics, doesn’t he?

[What else do you expect from a priest? It’s part of the job.] (Amin)

“Although you claim it was by accident...after thinking about it, I don’t believe that is the case. After all, you are now...paired with a goddess. I don’t believe you can convince me that she chose you, both as champion and as her companion, without reason.” Campbell paused before continuing his declaration with a passionate voice. “And above all, you are now our goddess. That you were once human...doesn’t lessen the burden placed on you, but makes it greater! You must still defeat Ryc’zamul, a task which even the gods find challenging!”

Wow. Although Amara disagreed with the statement that she was chosen for a special reason, she couldn’t deny that it felt good to have someone believe in her.

[Don’t let it go to your head, Amara.] (Amin)

[Shut up, let me have this!] Amara retorted.

Campbell placed his hand over his chest as he continued. “It may appear as if I am doubtful of your ideas, but it is not because I do not wish to see them come to fruition. It is because others will have the same doubts and concerns as me, and therefore, as the leader of the faith, I must understand your will well enough to be able to dispel such doubts.”

Amara raised an eyebrow. [I suppose that’s true.]

Campbell nodded solemnly as a smile spread on his face. “Therefore, I ask that you do not mistake the concerns I raise as lack of faith or loyalty to you. I do that because I wish to help you, and lessen the burden placed upon you in the future.”

Amara didn’t want to admit it, but she had partially wondered how useful the pope was going to be. After all, she hadn’t had a private discussion with anyone but Amin before now, and therefore only had the actions during the meetings to judge the others by. And since most of the pope’s actions had been limited to curiosity about her, doubts about her ideas or nagging at the city lord to show respect, it had been hard to believe he would be helpful. Since she knew the pope had some leverage over the people, she had wondered whether his concerns might influence how her words would be received by others. [The things I want to implement may not be without reason, but unlike most of the angels, I’m not going to pretend to be all-knowing. For all I know, my approach could be wrong. I suppose if someone has an idea that’s better than mine or found flaws in my ideas, it’s best to find out as early as possible.]

“Indeed, it would be detrimental to your cause to not strengthen your ideas before publicising them.” Campbell agreed with a smile. “I shall do my best to help you in spreading your will, as well as finding the suggestions that can improve it.”

He might not be as bad as I thought. Amara smiled wryly. [Tell him I look forward to his cooperation.]

“Of course, I intend to serve you well.” Campbell smiled with a solemn nod. “And for that end, may I suggest introducing you - the both of you - to the priesthood? They have been anxiously waiting to meet you. If we meet with them tomorrow, I could inform them of what I have learned about you beforehand.”

Amara’s lips twitched. ...I suppose we might have to do so eventually.

I just hope they aren’t as bad as some of Fluffles’ followers.

 

 

_______________

 

 

“HAH! I knew the goddess wasn’t giving up on us!” One of the priests suddenly exclaimed with excitement, before he gasped in realization. “I mean, thank you goddess! We’ve been awaiting your will for a long time, and finally our patience has been rewarded! Never in my life did I-”

Amara’s lips twitched before she sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose as the priest praised the ceiling with open arms, his enthusiasm increasing with every moment that passed. Damn it. He’s embarrassing himself. 

“Amara just told you to shut up.” Amin said sharply as he suddenly interrupted the priest. 

The priest stared at him wide-eyed as he stammered in disbelief, his arms slowly sinking. “W-what?”

“She says you’re acting like a fool.” Amin replied.

[I didn’t say that!] Amara retorted.

Amin shrugged. [It’s what you meant. And I agree.]

[That’s…] Amara sighed as she looked at the priest’s hurt expression. [You didn’t have to tell him...and you could have at least told him nicely if you had to!]

Amin shrugged again with a grin. “Amara would kindly like to tell you to stop embarrassing yourself.”

[What’s wrong with you?!] Amara exclaimed in her mind.

“Ahem!” Campbell coughed to break the awkward silence. “Now, I suspect Amara wasn’t quite that rude.”

Amin smiled wryly as he glanced at the pope. “Close enough.”

“Close enough, you say.” Campbell let out a sigh. “I wonder whether you’re not merely twisting her words because you do not wish to be here.”

[Touché!] Amara exclaimed with a grin while praising the pope in her heart.

[It’s not as if you want to be here either, Amara.] Amin retorted as he crossed his arms.

“Hmm. I see.” Campbell smiled as he noticed Amin’s reaction. “Although, I wouldn’t be surprised if Amara’s response was something akin to rejection of our devotion. After all, I think being shy would be considered a normal reaction to such a reception.”

“Amara is shy?!” (?)

“Kyaa!” (??)

Amara covered her eyes with her palm as she could feel her face heat up. ...Kill me.

“Excuse me! Amara, is it true that your lover is female? That you approve of same-sex relationships?” A young priest suddenly exclaimed from the crowd.

The crowd fell silent in an instant and stared at Amin as they awaited the response. Getting increasingly unnerved, Amin retorted. [That’s the most important thing they found?! Why are they even asking? Didn’t the old man already tell them?]

[I guess they want confirmation.] Amara shrugged with a wry smile. [Well, go on. You know the truth, don’t you?]

Amin took a deep breath as he averted his gaze from the crowd. “Yes, it’s true. Her lover is called Ezme.”

“Kyaa!” (??)

The crowd of priests, one priestess aside, erupted into murmurs. Before long, another loud exclamation crossed the sea of discussion. 

“Cara, are we game?!” (???)

“We’re game!” (????)

Two priestesses suddenly pushed through the crowd that watched them with confusion before the pair stopped in front of Amin with sparkling eyes. They briefly glanced at each other and nodded before the first priestess spoke with a smile. “Honoured goddess and her representative. Many might question the sincerity of your claim without proof! Therefore, we ask that you bless our union and wed us!”

“KYAA!” (??)

Amin’s lips twitched as he avoided looking at both of the priestesses and instead had his gaze fixed on the wall behind the crowd. [I didn’t sign up for this.]

[Whatever do you mean? I seem to recall you saying that you were willing to act as my mouthpiece!] Amara grinned as she watched the two hopeful brides. 

[I’m pretty sure you never intended for me to do things like this, and this is just payback for-] (Amin)

[Just look at them! Are you going to crush their hopes and dreams just because you’re feeling embarrassed?] Amara interrupted, her grin widening.

[Urgh…] Amin groaned in his mind as he relented. [Fine. But you’ll be owing me a favour!]

[Depends on the favour!] Amara suppressed a chuckle. [Now, wipe that frown off your face and smile! 

No, not like that, a genuine smile! That’s better...now repeat after me: 

We who are gathered-why are you staring at the wall?! You need to acknowledge people by looking at them! Seriously...alright, starting over!]  

 

30