73 – Devil’s Game, Part 8
516 13 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Well, well, well. So this is where you are.

Kind of reckless, aren’t you? Weren’t you the one who said she wanted you dead?

Amara smiled wryly as she found Amin, who had refused to answer her call, as he sat talking with Celene within the empress’ tent. Celene’s tearfilled, reddened eyes were glued at her son, her affection and guilt clearly expressed on her face.

Amin, on the other hand, seemed tense. His typical, faintly sarcastic expression was nowhere to be seen, as he fought an internal war of conflicting emotions.

You know, you could have told me that you intended to meet her privately! It’s not as if I was going to peep! …Maybe.

You know me too well, Amin. Damn you, I wanted to see this!

“I thought you didn’t care about me.” (Amin)

A self-deprecating smile spread on Celene’s face. “Allowing that misunderstanding to manifest was my greatest mistake, rather than allowing the attempt on your life to happen.”

The empress was silent for a while before she glanced at Amin. “Did you perhaps think I view you as a disposable tool?” When Amin nodded, a faint anger flashed in Celene’s eyes before she averted her eyes to glare at someone who wasn’t present. “...I should have known.”

Celene rubbed her eyebrows as if she had a headache before letting out a sigh. “No doubt it’s a combined result of my neglect and the education Teacher gave you. After all, he…it shames me to say it, but he’s probably been a better parental figure to you than me or your father. Which is a worrisome implication on its own, as he is hardly capable of loving anyone.”

When Amin didn’t answer, Celene gave him a thoughtful look. “Do you remember how you came to be his student?” 

Amin frowned as he thought. “...No.”

“It was during the war with the demons.” Celene said while looking at Amin with a gentle gaze. “You wrote in a letter that you wanted to learn how to fight. Because you were going to beat the demons so your family could come home.”

A grin spread on Amara’s face. How cute. 

“I never wanted to use you as a tool for the kingdom. But the fact you believe you are one…is but another proof of my failure.” Celene smiled faintly. “I’ve never been a good mother. But I’ve always loved you. And so does your father.”

Amin glanced at her at the mention of his father. “I heard he was cursed by the dragon.”

“...Yes. A curse of nightmares.” Celene nodded with a sorrowful gaze. “I’ve seen what kind of effects it had during the demonic war. The one affecting him seems…potent.”

“Zenon said that he could be brought to Whildernae for treatment if necessary. Though, he said the treatment isn’t foolproof.” Amin spoke slowly, clearly being careful with his words. “The saplings are supposedly quite adept when it comes to dreams.”

“...Please thank him for the offer.“ Celene replied with a thick voice. “We’ll see what state he is in once the pope has lifted the curse.”

Amin nodded, after which the conversation went silent. 

Awkward.

“Aleesha seems quite capable. Both in the art of war and tactics.” Celene said in a thoughtful tone as she looked at her son. “Frankly, a bit too capable to believe. Even if the elves individually are stronger than us, I find it hard to comprehend how she was able to stay aware of the situation across the battlefield, even while fighting.”

A wry smile spread on Amin’s face. “That was because I was relaying information to her from two goddesses.”

Celene raised an eyebrow. “Amara and…Ezme?” When Amin nodded, she looked at him as she fell in thought. “I see.”

Another awkward pause arose in the conversation before Celene smiled. “Well, in either case she seems like a capable commander. As well as being skilled with both the sword and magic.”

Amin shrugged. “She’s been fighting demons for almost a century on Whildernae before the armistice.”

“Even better, then.” A playful smile spread on Celene’s face as she supported her jaw with her fingers while studying Amin. “Luke needs a fiance, and she would make an excellent empress.”

Amin flinched as he avoided her gaze. “...The elves don’t practise marriage.”

“When forging ties with other cultures through marriage, it’s customary to adopt their traditions.” Celene replied with a teasing smile. “She might be willing for the sake of strengthening the ties between our peoples.”

Amara grinned as she watched how Amin was looking at the floor. Can’t you tell she’s messing with you? Jeez.

“Of course, having an empress that will outlive several generations of emperors could become troublesome. So having her supporting the throne, rather than being in a position where she could claim it, would be better for the long-term future of the Empire.” Celene cocked her head with an amused smile. “Instead, perhaps I should extend the offer to let her wed someone of the royal family, who is not in the line of succession? What do you think?”

Amara burst into laughter as she watched how Amin’s face reddened. Oh, that’s priceless!

“That…that would be unnecessary.” Amin mumbled.

Celene smiled teasingly. “Are you sure? If you’re not against the idea, I don’t mind asking.”

Amin lowered his face to hide his expression. “Knowing the elves, they won’t appreciate it. They believe that if the wish for friendly ties is genuine, something like marriage is unnecessary. And if it isn’t genuine, the relationship is doomed to break anyway.” 

Celene looked at Amin thoughtfully while tapping her jaw with a finger, before a wry smile suddenly spread on her face. “I suppose they’re right. Well, the offer stands, should you need it.”

During the tense silence that followed, Amara grinned as she watched how Amin gradually regained his composure. See, Amin? Everyone can tell you like her!

Amin however, was quick to change the topic of the conversation. “Why…why was I attacked in the first place? I’d understand if the rumors claiming that Amara and the elves were working with the demons were true, since it would mean I was working with the demons as well. But you’re the one who spread those rumors.”

The smile faded from Celene’s face. Leaning back in her chair, the empress looked at Amin with a sad gaze. “The rumors I spread at the time were the truth as I saw it.”

Amara’s frown mirrored Amin’s as she heard Celene’s response. As the empress revealed how she had been approached by a goddess, who had explained over thirty years earlier about what was about the transpire, Amara listened in disbelief.

A rift in heaven? I’m a rebel who will sell their souls to the demons?!

Just who could come up with this crap! It’s nothing but lies!

When the name of the angel she despised left Celene’s lips, the anger that had been slowly building up inside Amara boiled over.

That…that BITCH!!

 

_______________

 

“What happened?” Ezme asked in a worried tone as she arrived. “Did something else happen on Teyrin?”

Amara clenched her fists until her knuckles whitened while she avoided looking at the angel in order not to glare at her. But the anger that permeated her voice couldn’t be suppressed. “You remember the rumors someone spread about me on Teyrin? That made them paint me as a demon and reject me?”

Ezme tilted her head and looked at her anxiously. “Those spread by that queen, right? Celene?”

“Yes.” Amara glanced in the direction of the angel. “But she isn’t the one who came up with the rumors.”

Ezme sat down next to her before she spoke in an anxious tone. “Then who-”

“Alarice!” Amara’s fists shook in anger. “It was that damn bitch!”

Ezme looked at her in silent confusion. “That can’t be. The armistice forbids all divine beings from speaking with-”

She did it before the armistice!” Amara exclaimed in anger, finally raising her gaze to glare at the surprised angel. “She told Celene that the champion was going to be in league with the demons! She even warned her that the demons would be coming ahead of time to make her claims more legitimate!” 

Watching the angel’s shocked and disbelieving expression, Amara gnashed her teeth. “As if it wasn’t bad enough I have to fight to the death with a demon lord in the future and she’s tried to kill me before, but now I find out she’s deliberately made things more difficult for me! THAT DAMN BITCH!!

Ezme flinched as Amara unintentionally empowered her voice with divine power.

[Ding!]

Spoiler

Booming Voice has reached level 2!

[collapse]

…Ah. Amara averted her eyes guiltily and scratched the back of her head. “Sorry. I didn’t mean to shout.”

Ezme studied her expression with sad eyes before she spoke. “It makes no sense. Sister Alarice wouldn’t have done that.”
Amara scowled at her. “Just because she is your mentor it doesn’t mean that you know her.”

“Amara.” Ezme let out a sigh. “Yes, Alarice doesn’t like mortals. But even then, she wouldn’t make things difficult for you because of something so selfish such as spite.”

“Like when she attacked me?” Amara snarled. “Remind me why that was something done with a good reason!”

Ezme’s eyes widened in realization. “That…that’s different.”

“Is it? She attacked me simply for chasing you!” Amara exclaimed. “You mean to tell me that she didn’t do that because she was selfish and spiteful?”

When the angel averted her eyes, Amara clicked her tongue. “See? She’s not that-”

“Amara.” Ezme said sternly as her shoulders shook. “I don’t appreciate that you wildly accuse her of doing things she wouldn’t do!”

“How can you know for sure she didn’t do it?” Amara retorted with a frown.

“Because…” Ezme bit her lip before letting out a sigh. “Because it’s not her. Even if she attacked you back then, it was because she thought she had to. And even if she wanted to make things difficult for you, she wouldn’t manipulate others to do it for her. Sister Alarice is much more direct, and does everything herself.”

Amara furrowed her brow. Does she? Thinking back to all the times she had met Alarice, Amara realized that she couldn’t deny that the archangel fit the description. I suppose she might have a point…

But Celene didn’t seem to be lying.

“I’ve always hoped that you and sister Alarice could get along. Although, I know that’s unlikely to happen.” Ezme said in a dejected tone as she rose from her seat. 

Yeah, fat chance. She hates me, and I hate her.

“But at the very least, I don’t want you to be at each other’s throats.” Ezme said quietly. “The accusations you two throw at each other are…equally ridiculous. And tiring.”

When the angel headed towards the alcove, Amara followed her with her gaze before she shot up from her seat and exclaimed as she followed. “Where are you going?”

“I’m going back to the front lines.” Ezme replied curtly. “I’ve been away long enough as it is.”

“Wait!” Amara ran in front of Ezme to stop her. Seeing that the angel was keeping head inclined to hide her eyes, Amara felt a faint tinge of regret. Dammit. What should I say?

Letting out a sigh, Amara extended a hand and stroked Ezme’s warm cheek. “I’m sorry, Fluffles. I just…even if we suppose Alarice didn’t do it, then who would it be?”

Ezme silently raised her own hand and yanked Amara’s hand away. “You should have asked yourself that question before jumping to stupid conclusions!”

Amara knit her brows as the angel continued towards the doors. “Fluffles, I-” 

“Impudent mortal! Don’t Fluffles me!” Ezme exclaimed.

Watching as the doors closed behind the angel, Amara clenched her fists and sat down on the floor by the wall. …Dammit.  

Dammit!

Digging her fingers into her hair, Amara fell into thought. Is Ezme not willing to admit the possibility that Alarice was behind it? Or…

Amara squeezed her hair before she groaned and put her head against the wall. If it wasn’t Alarice, then who? Why would anyone-

Realizing the obvious answer, Amara pinched the bridge of her nose. Of course!

The demons!

They clearly benefit if I don’t get to establish a presence in my domain…I’m so stupid for not thinking about it earlier. Could it be that a demon lord pretended to be Alarice in order to manipulate Celene?

Amara didn’t need to think long before she concluded she needed to question Celene about it. Make A Call: Amin.

[Amara. Why am I not surprised that you were peeping?] (Amin)

Unamused by Amin’s remark, Amara snorted. [Yeah, whatever. I need to speak with Celene.]

[Well, she wants to speak with you as well.] (Amin)

Activating Farsight, Amara returned to the tent on Teyrin. The sun had already risen high in the sky, and the tired faces of Celene and Amin clearly showed that both of them were in need of rest.

Amara crossed her arms as she looked at Celene, and noticed in the corner of her eye how Amin gestured to the empress that she had arrived. [Ask her about the meeting with Alarice. What exactly did she say, and what did she look like?]

Listening to Celene explain the meeting she had decades ago in more detail, Amara frowned. Large white wings fits the bill of an angel…but too radiant to make out any other details? 

That’s suspicious. Clearly someone who is hiding their identity.

[Do you mean it wasn’t Alarice?] (Amin)

Amara let out a sigh and twisted her lips. [When I said that it was Alarice that was behind it all…Fluffles got mad at me. She said Alarice wouldn’t do that, so it must be someone else.]

When Amin had relayed her words to Celene, the empress looked at Amin with a confused expression as she muttered. “Then who could it have been?”

[The only alternative I could come up with is a demon lord.] (Amara)

Celene furrowed her brow and rested her chin on her entwined fingers as she fell into thought. “...I can’t deny that possibility. But if it was a demon lord masking as Alarice, why warn me that the demons were coming? Even if it was to build plausibility, it would be counterproductive.”

…True. Warning them makes no sense.

“If she hadn’t come to me when she did, I would have been a much weaker ruler today, and the Alarice Kingdom would never have been able to grow into an empire. Also, our capability to resist the demonic invasion would have been a sorry sight.” Celene continued. “If you want to kill someone, you don’t give them a weapon before you attack.”

…Also true. Dammit. Amara pinched the bridge of her nose. [Then who could it have been, if it wasn’t Alarice nor a demon lord?]

Celene had a contemplative expression on her face when Amin repeated her question. “If as you say the goddess I spoke with was hiding her identity, then…finding out who she was might be impossible.” Celene paused as she solemnly leaned back in her chair. “Both of you have proven through your actions that you have the best of intentions for the people of Teyrin. But if the goddess I met wasn’t Alarice herself, then it has to be someone that is allied with heaven, yet wishes to fuel the animosity between you.”

Amara furrowed her brow. Is there even someone like that? 

“I’m going to be honest with you, Amara.” Celene leaned back solemnly in her chair with a serious expression. “I have a hard time believing either of you is a demon. And the goodwill that you both have for us aside, the animosity between you makes you both difficult to trust.”

Amara clenched her jaw in frustration. Damn that bitch! What did I do to be labeled as untrustworthy?! 

“Therefore, I have a proposal for you.” Celene said with a sly smile as she supported her jaw with her fingers.

Amara raised an eyebrow. [A proposal?]

“Support me.” Celene said with a smile. “Help me unite Teyrin under my banner. In exchange, I’ll ensure you have the resources and manpower you require to work towards the goals you wish to achieve that have passed my review.”

Amara frowned. [Isn’t that the same as saying that you want me to pass my authority to you?]

“Not at all.” Celene smiled wryly. “After all, you’re not allowed to hold any true authority because of the armistice, are you? In which case, you have none.”

Amara clicked her tongue in annoyance. [It sounds like I have goals that you reviewed and don’t agree with.]

“Certainly. Or more precisely, your path towards those goals are lax and without oversight.” Celene sighed and waved her hand. “For instance, deploying druids to assist the farmers. Are you aware the increase in food production has disrupted its economy? With the grain prices falling, many farmers are becoming unable to provide for themselves and their families. What are they to do now, after you’ve ‘helped’ them?”

Amara’s eyes widened in realization. Crap! Did I trigger something akin to the effects of the industrial revolution?!

I already knew something like this would happen once people start using and manufacturing tools from Earth, but I didn’t expect it to happen like this!

“What’s she saying?” Celene asked with a frown.

“...She seems to have realized that something like that would happen based on the history of Earth, but not that it would happen now because of the druids.” (Amin)

Celene contemplated as she nodded at Amin before letting out a sigh. “Well, that’s my point. You might be our goddess, Amara, but you’re no ruler. You lack the experience and foresight required.”

…Well, she’s not wrong…

“Therefore, any such policies in the future will need to be planned and scrutinized for when and how they are applied to prevent any disastrous side effects.” (Celene)

Amara looked at the empress bitterly. [What exactly are you proposing then?]

Celene entwined her fingers with a smile. “I heard you disapprove of war, so I won’t ask you to deploy the Amaran Guard to assist me in conquering Teyrin. But I want full disclosure of the knowledge you possess, including blueprints of all weaponry from Earth, as well as the spells and enchantments you invent. And the withdrawal of druids from all territories not held by the Empire.” 

Amara frowned deeply. Asking for a lot, aren’t you?

A smile spread on the empress’ face as she cocked her head. “In exchange, I will supply you with the people you need to research and manufacture what you require. Although, as I’m the one providing, I will have ownership of it all and thus the authority to decide how it’s distributed…at least, on Teyrin. I’ll also make Levan an independent vassal state of the Empire, that you may use for your purposes and as a meeting ground for allied otherworlders. A fixed percentage of the taxes will also be allocated to you to fund the research that you do.”

Amara looked at her seriously through Farsight. Despite that Celene was willing to offer exactly what Amara needed, her answer was clear from the moment she heard what the empress was requesting. [No.]

Celene narrowed her eyes at Amara’s response. Letting out a sigh, she untangled her fingers and tilted her head as she supported it with a finger on her cheekbone. “What exactly do you disapprove of?”

[First of all, I have no intention of revealing all the weapons of Earth just like that. When they were developed on Earth, many of them were used without care for human life, and many of them have since been banned. You’ll need to agree to several conditions before I even think of disclosing weapons with greater destructive potential.] (Amara)

Celene raised an eyebrow. “Banned? Like how certain magical fields are banned, like necromancy?”

[Exactly like that.] (Amara)

The empress fell into a contemplative silence. “Very well. But banned weapons aside?”

[Still no. In order to get access to more powerful weapons, you’ll need to agree to follow the same laws of war that were agreed upon on Earth.] Amara smiled wryly as she looked at Celene. [Since Amin kindly provided them to you, I believe you should know what they say?]

Celene smiled in amusement. “If I recall the laws correctly, I believe I can agree to them. Of course, if I do that, then many of my people who fight for me will pay the price. I’d like the church to supply sufficiently many priests to heal the injured after the battles as compensation.”

[I guess that’s agreeable, but they won’t be exclusive to healing the injured on your side.] (Amara)

The empress nodded with a large smile. “Then, are we in agreement?”

Amara thought for a moment before a grin spread on her face. [No.]

[Amara, you’re shameless.] Amin retorted.

[What? I don’t think it's good enough.] (Amara)

When Celene heard Amara’s following demands, she burst into laughter. “Truly, how bold. I could very well have a rebellion on my hands if I do that.”

[Only the nobles.] Amara replied with a grin. [The people on the other hand, will approve.]

“But the nobility are what is required to maintain order.” Celene retorted. “Without them, the empire wouldn’t be able to suppress the people should they rebel.”

[And what reason would they have to rebel, once you’ve given them those rights? As long as they don’t believe they’ll starve or die unjustly tomorrow, they’ll have no reason to. And you could establish an independent branch of the government dedicated to maintaining order, rather than have the nobles handle it.] (Amara)

Celene fell into a contemplative silence. “But if the people are also free to speak as they like, someone could use that right to incite a rebellion. Undoubtedly, someone will realize that doing so would be permitted by law.” 

[People are still to be held accountable for what they say. Defamation, sedition and inciting crime would of course be illegal. But you wouldn’t be imprisoned or executed for calling a noble a fat asshat.] Amara said with a grin.

Once again, the empress was silent as she contemplated. After a while, she rose from her seat and crossed her arms as she began pacing inside the tent. 

Huh. She’s seriously considering it.

[Should I tell her not to entertain your shamelessness?] (Amin)

[Hell no! Look, this is going to happen sooner or later anyway. She might as well be the one who kicks it off and get a positive image.] (Amara)

[I don’t think she cares about her image. She only cares about whether-] (Amin)

“A dangerous gamble.” Celene said out loud as she let out a sigh. “It could fail miserably and make the empire crumble, or become a foundation that keeps it standing for centuries.”

[What about if the Amaran Guard step in and help you, should the nobles rise in rebellion?] (Amara)

“If they all do it at the same time, it’s not going to matter whether the Amaran Guard assists me. The empire would collapse regardless.” Celene glanced at Amin. “The only way to make it work is by doing it gradually. Which means it will take decades to completely fulfill, if the nobles are to be kept satisfied enough to follow in line.”

[I’m not exactly in a hurry, but…you’re sure it can be done? Without nobles disapproving?] Amara asked in surprise.

“Please.” Celene chuckled. “I’ve been chipping away their power for thirty years. I was going to continue doing it, one way or another regardless.”

[It chips away some of your power too, though.] (Amara)

Celene raised an eyebrow. “Does it, now?”

[Everyone being equal before the law means everyone. You included!] (Amara)

“Oh?” The corner of Celene’s mouth rose in amusement. “And who is going to put me on trial if I break the law?”

Amara shrugged with a wry smile. [I could. At least, I could send the Amaran Guard after you. I can already see it before me; Zenon, running through the streets of the empire in the dark of night, carrying the empress under his arm like a sack of potatoes while singing my praises!]

Celene’s lips twitched as she heard Amara’s response. “What happened to ‘no misuse of power’ and ‘everyone being equal before the law’?”

[Well, I’m a goddess. I can’t be held accountable to mortal laws now, can I?] Amara shrugged. [Besides, it’s not like I can benefit personally in any way by intervening. The day I choose to actually send the Amaran Guard for you is the day you really screwed up.] (Amara)

Celene chuckled after listening to Amin recite Amara’s response. “I see.” The empress silently went back to her seat and sat down, glancing at her son before speaking in a solemn tone. “Though I suspect I might have more conditions to add, I will largely agree to your terms.”

[If you add conditions, I’ll have more of my own.] (Amara)

A wry smile spread on the empress’ face as she supported her jaw with her fingertips. “I must say, I much prefer the direction the devil’s game has taken. I look forward to speaking with you again, Amara.”

After the meeting ended and Amara canceled Farsight, she stared into the empty entry hall to her chambers. Though she was pleased - relieved, even - by how Celene seemed to view her amicably, she was far from content. 

Because the identity of the divine being that had approached Celene was yet unresolved. Both Alarice or a demon lord are likely culprits, but neither makes perfect sense if both Ezme and Celene are correct. 

Amara twisted her lips as another option appeared in her mind. Then, what about a traitor? It would make the most sense, but…yeah, it’s ridiculous. The angels are a pretty tight community. 

Amara ran her fingers through her hair in frustration and let out a sigh. In any case…I need to make up with Fluffles. Though she isn’t necessarily right about Alarice…she was right about me jumping to conclusions.

22