Chapter 60 (Stable Boy 2)
31 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Looking at his mother, Dae Kwan smiled. “Thank you.” She had given him a plate of wine fish to enjoy.

“Any time, sweetheart,” she answered as she looked at him. Chef Jin always came in when she needed to relieve the head chef from her duties on certain days, but most of the time, she was in charge of preparing the meals for the servants and eunuchs.

Dae Kwan wasn’t her only child, but he was special. He didn’t like to be around others and barely knew how to interact and when the stable boy job was opened, she immediately had him apply.

What the eunuchs looked for was someone who would only take care of one animal and that they would be under the radar of everyone.

One of Changling’s servants came in looking for him, “Dae Kwan, you’re here?”

He looked at the woman and nodded timidly. “Am I needed?”

She nodded her head. “His majesty has taken his horse out for a ride with Prince Rong. In two hours you are to fetch the horse from the receiving grounds because his highness has court and won’t be able to take it back.”

Dae Kwan nodded his head, but he was confused. When the servant left, he looked at his mother, asking, “Why doesn’t he just send the servants to return the horse like he always does?”

Chef Jin had been thinking of that, too. Looking at her son, she warned, “Stay alert around his highness. I don’t think I need to tell you why. There is a lot that he has gotten away with, and I wouldn’t want you to get hurt because of him.”

“Get hurt?” He repeated as he picked at his fish. ‘She couldn’t be talking about the rumours?’

Glancing over at his mother, he recalled their little interaction and how nervous he felt when the prince’s breath fanned against his neck.

“What happened? Did a mosquito bite your neck?” She asked as she saw how he held his neck.

He chuckled nervously.

She frowned, seeing his ears turn red. “What’s wrong?”

He shook his head. “No, it’s nothing. 

*

Dae Kwan was throwing an apple in the air and catching it as he made his way to the receiving grounds. He suddenly stopped in his steps as he saw a crowd of women. They were all dressed to the nines. Making his way over, he bowed to them.

The crown princess stared at him and said, “You must be the one taking care of our beloved horse. I’ve heard good things about your dedication.”

Dae Kwan felt nervous. Kim Haeun was blessed with grace and brilliance, unlike him. But why was he comparing himself to her?

“Yes, your highness. It’s an honour to serve.” He answered.

She smiled at him, saying, “The Crown Prince is quite fond of the horse. I appreciate anyone who takes care of something he holds dear.”

“They’re back!” Mei Yuan said as she saw Changling and Qinghe return.

Dae Kwan turned to look in that direction, and he was amazed. Changling looked so royal in plain robes.

While he was in awe, Haeun assessed him with a frown. “You may fetch the horse now.”

Dae Kwan looked at her and was taken aback by the frown on her face. Wasn’t she just smiling?

He bowed, then walked off.

When Changling saw Dae Kwan come over, he wanted to smile but held himself back. Looking at his brother, he asked, “Who told him to come here?”

Qinghe raised a brow. “We have court. I’m sure it was the eunuch.”

Jumping off the horse, Changling said, “Ah, there you are?”

“Yes, your highness,” he bowed to them.

Qinghe stared at the interaction. It didn’t seem like much, but Qinghe could smell something in the air. He teased, saying, “Seems like you’ve caught the eye of royalty, my friend.”

Changling smirked playfully as he looked at Dae Kwan. “Oh, he’s more than caught my eye. Tell me, have you grown accustomed to the palace gossip?”

Qinghe scoffed at hearing his words and shook his head. Climbing off the horse, he said, “Well, don’t let Haeun hear you.”

Changling raised a brow as he looked at Dae Kwan. 

Dae Kwan bowed his head. “I, I try not to pay attention, your highness.”

Changling smirked, “Good. Gossip can’t hurt us, can it?”

Dae Kwan shook his head. “I’ll take the horse then, your highness.”

Changling stepped off to the side and watched as Dae Kwan left with the horse. He tilted his head to the side, thinking, “Maybe I shouldn’t.”

0