Chapter 157: Gang’s All Here
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It is not long before we finally make it to San Fransisco. The beautiful city that was my very first home in all of my adventures on Earth.

I have not seen it since Delta, Francis, and I began our adventure all that time ago. Fueled by my system, by Destiny Points and adventure and trying to make the most of friendships while they lasted.

Everything ended, and we will never be able to return to that moment. Not after truths came out, both good and bad, and certainly not after this war that has wrecked the entire multiverse. But we can still mend what we lost and create new memories.

That is what I intend to do with Francis and all the others when we meet up again.

We are still in the car, stuck in heavy urban traffic. If only we had taken one of those convenient and well-placed streetcars that I see roaming about freely, we would already be in our destination, and without needing to burn expensive oil-based fuel just to idle in place.

“Delta told me to get to this one Safeway off Cabrillo Street, which I am HOPING we’ll get to within the next hour, but honestly who knows.”

“We could sing that one Lucky Stars song again if you wish to pass the time,” I suggest.

“No thanks, I’m Friedman’d out for the day.”

“Ah, well. Then we shall simply talk about our feelings.” I pause for a moment. “That was supposed to be a joke. I’m trying out sarcasm more often.”

“Your delivery isn’t good enough. It just sounds like you’re saying normal Eryk stuff.”

“I’m saddened by that truth.”

“You’ll get better. Just keep practicing.”

“No.”

“...”

“Another joke.”

“Yep. Keep practicing...”

The traffic jam eventually dissipates, and we make our way to the mystical destination known as Safeway. It is allegedly a grocery store and nothing special, but why would Delta and her cohort have chosen it if not for some significant purpose currently unknown to us?

Well, I find out the reason why they chose it a few minutes later once we arrive. Out of the window I see a group of five women, all holding overstuffed boxes of takeout buffet food they are bringing with them. One woman I find extremely unfamiliar is in fact carrying a stack of four to-go boxes.

“They had a sale,” Delta explains once Francis and I have stepped out of the car and have met up with this group. “50% off to support the troops or whatever. It’s really cheap food, and all-you-can-eat.”

“I’m so full,” the small girl says.

My heart freezes as I look upon her. And then my eyes go over to the similarly pink-haired woman standing next to her.

They... They’re...

“Perhaps we should introduce our group,” says the elderly woman who I immediately recognize as Master Keitou. She trained my clone back in Los Angeles, and is in fact an improperly reincarnated elf here on Earth! It is very good to see her. “We are a bit of a motley crew, aren’t we?”

“Indeed, you appear to be so.”

With some hesitation, Delta steps forward. Stares at me for quite some time. “You’re a bit out of shape, Eryk.”

“I have been in captivity for over a year.”

Silence for a moment. “Good to see you.” Then she steps back with the rest of the group.

Francis leans into me. “That’s her way of showing affection. She really missed you.”

“Shut the fuck up, Bacall. I’m going to throw you in your locker,” Delta mutters.

“Language, Maman,” the small child says.

My eyes widen. “Wait, Maman. That is the term for a mother, I’m sure. Delta, you finally had your child!”

She rolls her eyes. “Let us introduce our group already.”

“Fine. She is adorable. And quite large for a single year of age.”

“My name is Esther. I’m one. Thank you for your compliment; it’s much appreciated.”

“And back at you.”

“Esther is my daughter,” Delta says, “and this is my wife Julie. You met once.”

“Ah, yes.” I think back to the single time we faced off, and the pain I can still feel stinging on my cheek. “That was my clone, of course. I am not quite to blame for the extremely rash actions that he performed, due to the way that his personality rippled off mine in a different...” I stop myself before I revert to my normal blame-placing ways. “I’m sorry.”

“You’re okay,” Julie says.

“Your aura is sublime. And your hair and eyes... They’re pink. I don’t remember that from before. Are you North Spiran? Or a Blaze Blitzer cosplayer?”

“North Spiran, apparently,” she says. “I’d like to know more about my past life, on Mystix.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll tell you everything you need to know, so long as you ask. I am an expert on my homeland!”

Julie nods.

And the strange unfamiliar woman, who has all along been silently sucking on the straw of her milkshake, says, “By the way, Eryk. You’re right crazy, but you might be our only chance to get outta this multiversal mayhem. I’m proud of ya.”

The deep and pleasant voice rings a bell, but I cannot figure out from her face and attire where I once met her. Who is this woman?

I blink a few times. So does she.

“You don’t recognize me.”

“No, I do not,” I admit.

“Remember when I told you if you died again I’d send you straight to Lava World? Well, you’re lucky it ain’t come to that yet.”

!!!!!!

“By The Goddess’s name, it’s The Goddess!” I exclaim.

“Yes siree, although the name’s a might inaccurate, on account of the being shot and killed and deposed deal.”

“You what?”

“Your kid sibling Rare.”

“Ah, so that’s what happened after they died,” I say. “They had been collaborating with the U.S. government to overthrow you, and it worked perfectly. I wonder if they regret their decision by now.”

“Absolutely do,” The Goddess says. “No kid of a bitch kills a pretty robot like me and gets away with it. Although I’d say I’m pretty pretty now as a half-human.”

“Aren’t you a full human?”

“Half-robot, half-human.”

She does not appear half-robot at all to my eyes. Perhaps it’s what’s on the inside that counts.

“So that’s a crew we’ve got,” Francis says. “A former deity, a streamer, a washed-up hero, two wives, a baby, and an old lady.”

“A magnificent seven individuals who can take on the whole world,” I say.

Master Keitou chuckles. “We won’t make it past the first wave of system-trained soldiers. Not if we are fighting on their terms. No, we must build our forces. Maximize our powers. Then strike at the heart of the enemy when they least expect it. Only then can we conquer them.”

“Okay, you guys kind of look like there’s an awesome plan in the works,” Francis says, “so I’ll back off and let you lead the way.”

“Indeed, we have a plan,” Master Keitou says. “We need to reach my homeland. The origin point in Japan where the boundaries of worlds cross over. Japan is still safe, still relatively unscathed by the wars that the system has brought to Earth. The U.S. is spread so thin now that we can pass right through the hole in their domination. But we can only go by ship, and only a ship that can outrun the battle cruisers they have blockading the entire West Coast. Any other method is too closely tracked.”

“Damn,” Francis says. “Eryk, you don’t happen to have a teleport skill or something, right?”

I shake my head and frown. “Nothing of the sort on me right now. In my former ghost form, yes, but not anymore. And it would be difficult to try and draw a Destiny Card to fulfill that need, since I could not carry all of us in just one trip.” Then I smile. “However, if it is a ship we need, I am exactly the man you can trust. For I am King Solbourne of Santa Barbara, and I have a vast fleet of ships ready to go!”

Despite gesturing exuberantly to show my enthusiasm, the others do not follow suit. In fact, their faces grow sullen.

Master Keitou reaches out and puts a hand on my shoulder. “Dear, Santa Barbara is impossible to access now.”

“What?”

“It’s under siege by the U.S. right this instant. It will fall at any moment.”

“No... No. You can’t be telling a truth. I don’t believe it.”

“Search your logic, Eryk. The facts do not care about the feelings you may have towards your kingdom. You were not there to protect it, and even if you were, it would have simply gotten you killed in the process.”

I step back and whip myself into an action pose. “I won’t allow this,” I say. “The siege is still going? Then I shall break it myself. Follow me to Santa Barbara, and I will get you the ship you need.”

Delta shakes her head. “Eryk, don’t be an idiot.”

“I can go with you,” Julie says.

“No, Julie,” Delta tells her. “Not you, too.”

“I need all of you. Not just Julie. But don’t you worry. I’ll go on ahead, and by the time you arrive, the U.S. Army will be well and defeated.”

“Eryk Solbourne, what you suggest is foolish and stupid,” Master Keitou says. “I won’t have it.”

“And what does The Goddess have for an opinion?” I ask.

She quits sipping her milkshake and shrugs. “You’re a mighty good hero. Hate to lose you, but heroes do what heroes do best.”

I nod.

And then I turn in the direction of Santa Barbara.

“Stand back everyone. And just remember. Meet up with me as soon as you can.”

“Wait, do you have a phone or anything?” Francis asks. “Should I give you mine or something? How will we... Ah, screw it. Good luck, dude.”

“I don’t need luck. I already received The Goddess’s blessing.” I wink, although the coolness of my phrase does not seem to phase him.

In order to dash to my kingdom as quickly as possible, I make use of a trick I developed in my year of captivity. And, of course, did not share with the buffoons I was forced to train.

A two-card combo that will give me a significant boost.

Searing Rush: Rank 3. Triples speed and agility for 3 minutes. Cost: 1115 LP.

Irrational Force: Rank 5. Inertial mass is cut by 250 KG/s for 60 seconds. Cost: 2000 LP.

Here we go!

With the double activation, I begin to run at supersonic speeds. Time itself bends to my will. I will be the greatest hero I can be.

0