Chapter 159: Siege War Combat
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I wrangle the Skeleton Maw Dragon’s head and attempt to ride it like an unruly bull. My screams are so vibrant that is said they will still echo through the skies ten years from now.

But it is not enough. The dragon shakes me off, swipes at me with its claw, and pummels me through the air.

If only I could teleport like when I was still a ghost on Mystix. My astral projection powers were so useful, and yet I lacked almost any sort of useful fighting power back then. It is like I am still only half of myself every time I fight.

On Earth, I have always been so much more powerful than almost every other human that I almost forgot the power levels that the Destiny Deck System can truly bring. Here, now, fighting this Skeleton Maw Dragon, this undead terror to the skies, I unfortunately remember the power level differences very clearly.

My back slams against a weakened city wall and makes a massive crack in its concrete and steel structure.

[-1,040 LP.]

But I am not some foolish B-Rank [Adventurer] for nothing. I am a resilient fighter, and one silly slap won’t do anything to stop me!

The Santa Barbaran military, for what it is worth, has turned all its attention on the Skeleton Maw Dragon as well. The grunt forces have charged out of the city gates to attack the siege line, but the anti-aircraft guns have all turned their attention to the monster. They pelt it with bullets and rockets, which slowly but surely seem to be making an impact.

But not soon enough.

For I can see the energy building up in its mouth. The [Hyper Beam] Rank 10 Destiny Card equivalent it is about to unleash on us all.

“Retreat!” I scream to the soldiers in the vicinity. “Get away from here!”

But it’s too late.

The [Hyper Beam] blasts down to Santa Barbara and ignites the city in kinetic energy so hot it melts the statue of Shaun White. Many of the soldiers nearby were too close to avoid the attack and are incinerated. Others are hit by shrapnel of exploding buildings.

I make it out okay, but without being able to save the day whatsoever.

This is turning out to be far harder than I ever could have imagined. The Skeleton Maw Dragon alone is so fearsome that a B-Rank [Adventurer] would likely need a whole party supporting him to fell it. I have hundreds of loyal soldiers under my wing, but they are not my companions, and they do not have the powers of the Destiny Deck System.

The power of Destiny itself is... not looking to be in my favor right now.

“What do we do, King Solbourne?” someone asks. Not a voice I find familiar, and not someone whose attention I can turn to while so focused on tracking the flying beast’s movements.

“Stand your ground,” I say. “Keep on fighting. We can still win this if we work together. If we hold the line.”

“No, sir, look! The city walls!”

I turn back to see the true destruction that the [Hyper Beam] caused. It destroyed much of a city block, yes, but it also pierced the city wall, which now crumbles before my very eyes.

“By The Goddess’s name,” I mutter to myself. “This can’t end well.”

Moments after the city wall opens a passable hole inside, a deluge of U.S. forces enter the city. The dragon flies away as if its mission is complete, or as if being recalled by whatever forces control it. Doesn’t even bother to finish off the stragglers.

Now the Americans are past the gates.

My ambitions thwarted. My hopes dashed. My kingdom soon to be captured, no matter what I do. I alone simply cannot prevent it.

“It’ll be our last stand,” I say to whoever nearby will listen. “Let us fight with honor and glory.”

“Don’t write yourself off so soon,” a high-pitched voice says.

A familiar one.

I turn around and—

Oh my.

Two figures, dressed in battle gear and holding themselves like seasoned veterans, appear before me, shining against the setting evening sun like angels taking me to the afterlife.

But the opposite, in fact, is what they are doing. Saving me from the brink.

One of them is Abby Faulkner, Surf Ronin. The former King Bodhi of Santa Barbara, who I defeated in gladiatorial oceanic combat to gain my current throne. She’s a lot taller than I last remember her, apparently having gone through one last-grasp-of-puberty growth spurt before she reaches the bounds of adulthood. Her intimidating look is finally backed up by a true warrior’s presence, not to mention spirit.

The other is a man about my age, dressed in dark black leather with collars popped up and a flowing cape to compliment. His face is as dark as his spirit is warm. Pablo Rosas of Paso Robles is here as an ally. How this could have happened, I have no idea, but I greatly welcome it.

“Are you going to join us?” Abby asks. “Or are you going to stand there and let the Americans take our country?”

“It’s all over,” I say. “Look at it. We have nothing left.”

“Never say never,” Pablo Rosas says.

“I shall never.”

“Never say never again.”

“I shan’t.”

“We might lose,” Abby says. “But we can still cripple their forces. Don’t forget, we aren’t the only ones whose lives are at stake. The whole world is.”

“And the multiverse,” I add. “You’re right. Then we need to intercept the siege as best we can.”

Just saying that fills my heart with dread. Hundreds of soldiers beaming towards us, and the Santa Barbaran forces simply cannot keep up with it. Tanks roll into the city and fire upon the anti-aircraft weaponry where they cannot defend.

“We’ve been fighting here since the siege began,” Pablo says. “We two have been designated as champions in your absence. We have been deep in enemy lines, tracking down and defeating the embedded system-using commandos who are aiding the lower-ranking conscripts.” He holds up a bundle of dog tags. “It’s been a fun battle. I got three.”

“And I’ve captured four,” Abby says.

“Show-off.”

“I’ll have to top your numbers, then,” Eryk says. “Even if we no longer have the element of surprise, we still have our powers combined!”

With even more unearned confidence, the three of us decide to hold out as best as we can. Retreat is not an option, under any circumstances.

0