Chapter 14 – Life and death in 18 seconds
2.2k 22 72
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

16, Month Fall-Quatre, Year Elizabeth 402

20:10, Elizabeth Magic Academy

 

Seeing the power erupted from the demon in front of them, the two children’s faces paled as a result.

Alice exchanged with Wilson, then asked him. “That flame of yours, what is it?”

After unleashing the flame once, his composure had already returned. The flame not only provided him a boost in strength but also some memories about it. He now knew what was it called and how to unleash it.

This flame would react to a demon when he was near them. It was also very effective when used against the dark element of magic, which demons usually used.

This was probably a reason he could injure the demon in front of him, even though there was such a vast difference in level between them.

“It was the purgatory flame.” He answered. “But let talk about it later.”

So he knew all of this just by listening to my story? How powerful could he be if that was the case?

“So, this was why sage Khun said that I shouldn’t suppress it.” He shook his head slightly while murmuring to himself.

But that didn’t mean that they solved their problem. He looked toward the demon in front of him. Even now, he still couldn’t believe there was a demon infiltrated into the school. This was Elizabeth Magic Academy after all, not some random magic school. It was the most prestigious school in the kingdom.

If a demon could even infiltrate here, how would other places be…?

Wilson shivered slightly but decided to put that on the back of his mind for now.

Wilson looked at the sword in his hand. The flame previously was simply too powerful even for his sword so that tt had been burnt black completely. This flame was, after all, suppressed inside him for months. That was why he couldn’t even control it before, and the slash was simply an instinctual move from the purgatory flame.

The flame was strong, and it even caught Elnora unprepared. That was why it was an effective attack. Now, all the excitement had died down, reality began to kick in.

The hexagon-level versus one square-level and one triangle-level mage? The difference was simply too vast to overcome with some willpower and cheap trick.

He then asked Alice. “Is there a way for us to win against her?”

Alice’s face stiffened. Her face had a slight hint of despair, but her eyes were still full of determination. She would never give up without trying, of course. After all, when she was still at the lowest point of her life, she still struggled. Even when others scorned her, she could still keep going on.

“There is one way.” Alice finally said that after some consideration. “If I could cast my strongest spell, the Aquatic Ray of Annihilation. Maybe we could still stand a chance.”

While she had a unique physique, the water-ice twin head dragon physique, that allowed her to fight with those above her own level. It would require some time before that part could become true. After all, most of those advantages came from the tremendous amount of spells available to her.

But she only had unlocked her unique physique for so long. How many spells could she possibly have?

The Water Ray of Annihilation was the spell that sage Khun suggested to her to learn when she asked him in one of the streams. He said that the name was the coolest, but Alice thought that he probably said it jokingly.

It was actually a spell that only suitable for a pentagon-level mage, but sage Khun recommended it, nonetheless.

After she had tried to learn it, though, Alice found that she could actually comprehend it. The power of it, of course, wouldn’t be strong, as if a pentagon-level mage cast it. But that power was far stronger than any of the spells she had learned so far. If she could cast it, it would severely injure even a hexagon-level mage.

So the reason he suggested that I learn it was for this situation.

Alice then couldn’t help but admired sage Khun more.

“But this spell still requires me eighteen seconds to complete the incantation.” Alice shook her head slightly.

“Eighteen seconds...”

18 seconds.

It was a time frame that seemed short in everyday life. It was so short that it could sometimes pass by in a flash.

But in a battle...?

How many blows could one exchange in that time frame?

How many moves could one exchange in that period?

And it would have to be a time when Alice focused completely on casting the spell. That meant she couldn’t provide any aid to Wilson at all—like the Ice Shield before. He had to fight with Elnora alone in that time frame.

“...!” Wilson’s face stiffened slightly. But he wouldn’t let the girl take on the hard role alone. He nodded resolutely and said. “I will do something about it then. Cast your spell now.”

Wilson tossed the burnt sword to the side and retrieved his spear from the back. This was actually the spear that his mother used to use—The Meteoric Spear. The spear was in black color, except for the tip which was in red. Somehow, it was very similar to the purgatory flame of him.

Please give me strength, mother.

Spear in hand, Wilson walked in front of Alice. He locked his eyes at the demon in front of him and roared.

“Come at me! Demon!”

While the two were talking, Elnora, of course, didn’t let her time went to waste. She healed herself during that time. Her earlier injuries from the purgatory flame were almost gone. She looked as intact as she was before.

Of course, it only appeared that way on the outside. Inside her own body, though, the injuries remained.

That was how powerful the purgatory flame was.

“Struggle all you want. But know that the only thing that waits for you two is despair.” Elnora said with a smile. She didn’t let those injuries show on her face at all. She looked indifferent, as if she was perfectly fine.

Then, with a flick of her hand, a scythe suddenly appeared in her hand. It was almost 2-meters long. The body and the blade of it were all in black color. There was a slight gloominess aura hang around it, as if the scythe was made from the darkness itself.

One second

After seeing that Wilson was going to cover her, Alice began to cast the spell. She closed her eyes. At that time, magic power began gathering around her body. The amount was so intense that one could even see sparkles of blue swirling around the girl. Her mouth began moving at a lightning-fast speed.

Noticed Alice’s action, how could Elnora not know what was it that the girl was trying to do?

The demon scoffed at their futile attempt before whirling the scythe in her hand. She then created a circle with the scythe’s movement, craving the magic circle from thin air.

The circle then flashed a purple light. A vast amount of magic power congregated into the circle.

Boom! The circle exploded instantly. The mana that had gathered then split themselves into three arrows, each blasting straight at the girl in the back at various angles!

Two second

Wilson looked at the three arrows calmly. This move was in his expectation. After all, in a normal battle, the enemy would try to eliminate the back-liner first if possible. That was why one of the knight’s duties, which was the front-liner, was to protect against those attacks.

His right hand flashed. He took out three throwing javelins, attached at his pants, and throw them toward those arrows.

Three clangs rang consecutively. The javelins and the arrows collided and canceled each other out.

But that was a mistake—

Suddenly darkness loomed over Wilson. And when he looked over, he saw Elnora had already appeared before him, her scythe in hand—ready to swing.

Three second

All those arrows were just distractions all along.

Elnora operated on the principle of ‘To take down the king, you have to take down the knight first.’. Her intention was never on Alice. She wanted to kill Wilson first!

When he threw all of those javelins, Wilson had to use his dominant hand, so he transferred his spear to his left hand. Now that Elnora approached him right this instant, she caught him in a difficult position!

“Hah!” He roared valiantly. Rather than run away or blocked, he opted to approach her instead!

The scythe was, after all, almost 2-meters long. While it looked strong at distance, the effectiveness of it would reduce immensely in close range.

Swoosh!

Four second

Not expected the target to approach rather than retreat, Elnora’s attack missed. Wilson ducked down at the last instant she swung her scythe, evaded at the last second.

The swing, though, was only a hair away from his head. He could even feel some of his hairs get cut and blow off from the slice.

While Wilson had dodged the deadly blow, he was now in the close distance himself. In this range, his spear wouldn’t be that effective as well, so he would rather back away instead.

So, from the ducking position, he rolled back to gain some distance from the demon.

Five second

Seeing her attack missed, Elnora’s red eyes flashed with fury. When she saw that the boy that approached her wanted to get away now, she sneered silently. Before Wilson could roll away completely, she used her right foot to kick at the knight.

How strong of her body?

Even one arm of a mage in square-level could already lift an object of 250 kg weight, obviously, the strength of the hexagon-level one was a lot more.

“Ugh!” Wilson cried out when the blow hit him in the chest. His breastplate absorbed some force of it, but it could never neutralize it completely. It even cracked from the kick!

He got flung away with speed so fast that his body blurred in the night!

Six second

Hopelessness filled his mind. After all, a triangle-level and a hexagon-level mage were simply too different. How could a mere determination overcome the gap?

But did he have only determination?

GO ON. KILL THAT WOMAN!

The voice that Wilson used to hate sounded in his consciousness once more. This time, it encouraged him that he could go on. It wanted him to go on!

Wilson felt an iron taste of blood in his mouth, but he swallowed it forcefully. He then stabilized himself in the air and landed on the ground.

Seven second

“DIE!” howled the boy. His voice mixed with killing intent and craziness. Same as the demon in front of him, his eyes flashed red. Wilson looked at Elnora with blood lust in his eyes. He unleashed the instinct of the purgatory flame completely and let it consume his mind fully once more.

With a spear in hand, he charged at the demon in front of him like an arrow. His posture and center of gravity were low, like a leopard waiting to erupt.

Within just a blink of an eye, the distance between them was now the same as before!

Eight second

“Take my spear!” shouted Wilson. He then stabbed out with the spear in his hand. The flame of purgatory erupted and enveloped his spear, with flame and darkness revolving around the tip.

The spear flashed, leaving behind only a straight line of dark flame. This line then split into 2, attacking the demon from 2 separate sides.

This was the spell that most knights learn at the triangle stage: Double Strike!

The principle behind it was simple. Using a sharp boost from the mana, the user could strike out so fast that it was as if the two blows at the same time.

“Hah!”

While the purgatory flame was somewhat annoying, this level of attack to Elnora was just a child play to her. With a circular motion of her scythe, she aligned her weapon at the angle that intercepted those both two strikes at the same time.

Nine second

Clang!

A clang rang, but it was actually from two separate sound, there were just so fast that they sounded at the same time.

Wilson’s hands were numb from the rebound force and his body staggered back slightly. Elnora saw all of that and chuckled. Her posture changed from defense to attack. She danced in circle once and used the scythe in her hand to swing in an upward motion—redirecting the force of Wilson’s attack back at him.

With his posture broke, how could Wilson defend it?

The scythe slashed past him and a massive amount of blood spurted out from the boy’s chest.

 

I suck at fight scene...

 

72