Book One: Prologue
1.1k 5 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

“Blaine! Where are you, Blaine?”

Brittany strolled through the dark woods in her pink sandals. The air chilled her skin, due to her wearing only a white tank top and short jeans. She brushed her long brunette hair from her freckled face to see better. “Blaine!”

She has no clue why Blaine wanted her to meet him in the forest, late at night. Maybe he has a romantic surprise in store for her, but going out deep in the woods doesn't sound safe. But how could she say no to the hottest guy she ever met?

Brittany heard a hoot and looked up. There was a white owl in a tree, looking at her until it flew away. 

Brittany walked forward. “Blaine!”

Between two trees, she stopped in front of a large cobweb. It was almost as big as half of her body. On the web was a tiny orange spider. It wiggled as it climbed up.

Brittany shivered and walked around the web. If she walked through the web, the spider would surely land on her face. 

Her teeth chattered, just by thinking about it. “Blaine!”

Her foot hit a thick tree branch, and she fell to the ground, but she landed on her hands. 

“Ouch!” She got back up and brushed herself off. 

I hate nature, she thought.

She stopped when she spotted a bush shook closeby like a rattlesnake.

“Blaine?”Brittany slowly stepped toward the bush. 

The bush stopped when she stepped closer toward it. Slowly, she placed her hands into the bush and pulled it open.

Huh?

Nothing was inside the bush. Or maybe there was before she looked.

Brittany released the bush to let out a sigh. When she back away from the bush, a shadow landed behind her and roared.

Brittany screamed, so hard, she fell to the ground.

“Ouch!” Brittany looked up and saw Blaine, laughing at her.

He was wearing a grey sweatshirt with tight blue jeans. His brown hair was cut short above his blue eyes. “Got yeah!”

Brittany gritted. “You jerk!”

Blaine pointed his finger at her. “You should have seen the look on your face!”

Brittany rose and pounded her fists on Blaine’s chest. “I should kill you for that!”

Blaine laughed and grabbed her arms. “Chill, baby. It is only a prank.”

Brittany pulled her arms from his grip. “Is that why you brought me here?”

“More than that. Let me show you my secret spot.”

“I don't think so.” Brittany turned around, but she stopped when Blaine’s hands rested on her shoulders.

“Come on my sweetie.” Blaine kissed Brittany’s earlobe. “It will be worth your wild.”

Brittany blushed and smiled at him. “Okay…”

She took his hand as he guided her through the wood. The air was cold, but Blaine's hand felt warm, sending shivers through her skin.

Near the edge of the forest, they stopped toward the edge of a cliff. Blaine pointed his finger down the cliff. “Check that out.”

Brittany looked down and her mouth slowly dropped. “Wow!”

Below the cliff was the entire view of the town. Millions of lights, glimmering in a sea of spectra. The lights glowed so brightly, they nearly lit the entire sky.

“This is your secret spot?” Brittany asked.

Blaine placed his arms around her, gently squeezing her a bit as he rested his chin on her shoulder. He stared at the lights with a grin. “My only secret spot, baby. I figure you would like it up here too.”

Brittany giggled. “Of course I do!”

Blaine faced her and stroked her cheek. “How about we take this up to the next level.”

Brittany wrapped her arms around him. Her eyes melted into his. “Oooooooooh…..Blaine.”

She stood up on her toes, reaching for Blaine’s lips. He lowered his face, making it easy for her to kiss him. 

While tasting his lips, something growled behind her. Brittany paused and looked back. “What is that?”

“What’s that?” Blaine asked.

“I heard something.”

Blaine smiled and touched Brittany’s cheeks, turning her face toward his closely. “It is probably a stupid dog. He won’t hurt us.”

He brought her lips back to his, sucking on them as if her mouth was a sweet lollipop. Brittany moaned as Blaine’s hands slid down toward her waist. 

The growl echoed again, this time louder. Brittany looked back. “Stop! It sounds close.”

Blaine looked and glared. “Let me scare it away.”

He strolled past her and entered the bush. 

“Be careful, Blaine!” Brittany shouted.

Blaine smiled back until he disappeared into the darkness.

He suddenly screamed and rushed back toward Brittany. But something grabbed him and pulled him back. 

He screamed while the bush shook. When it stopped, his head rolled toward Brittany’s feet.

Brittany screamed and sprinted, leaving her boyfriend’s head behind. There was nothing she could do for him.

Brittany charged through the dark woods, annoying her sandals falling off her feet. She couldn’t see one foot across the dense cluster of trees that blocked the moonlight. The sharp grass and needles pricked her bare feet, although she has to keep running. 

“Help!” she cried. “Somebody help me!”

Brittany couldn’t control the words, coming out of her mouth. She knew Blaine brought her too far into the woods. She could be miles and miles away from civilization. But she couldn’t help her distress.

I gotta get a hold of myself!

The memory of Blaine’s head rolling toward her feet kept flashing inside her head. His eyes were left open wide, full of terror, and blood dripped from his open breathless mouth.

 How could an animal rip a person’s head off? Was it even an animal? 

Brittany held back her tears, bursting her adrenaline up. She leaped over a fallen tree trunk, glanced back over her shoulder, and dashed faster like a mad dog.

We shouldn’t have come out here! We shouldn’t have come out here!

The creature wasn’t behind her as far as she could see. Perhaps it lost her and went back to feast on her dead boyfriend. Still, she couldn’t understand what it was. The growl didn’t sound like a bear. More like a wolf. A very big wolf.

Whatever it was, she doesn’t want to see it.

Suddenly up ahead, Brittany reached a road. She sighed as her bare feet touched the cold black concrete. Her luck had finally reached her.

After she stopped in the middle of the one-lane road, two lights roared toward her. She faced the lights and waved her arms in the air. “Hey! I need help!”

The truck kept driving toward her.

“Hey!” Brittany shouted, but the truck didn’t stop.

She jumped off the road as the truck zoomed past her. On her hands and feet, she watched the truck drive away.

She rose and brushed herself off. “You bastard!”

Brittany couldn’t believe the stupid driver didn’t stop for her. Was he in a hurry?

Suddenly, a flash of pain exploded on her lower legs, and she fell to the asphalt. She screamed and saw claw marks on her bleeding legs. Her eyes widened when a tall black figure stood over her.

She could barely see it within the weak moonlight, but she could already guess what it was. 

A head shaped like a wolf.

Black fur.

Long bushy tail.

Muscular built body.

Two bare feet, each with five toes.

Sharp claws.

Red eyes.

“What...are...you?” Brittany asked.

Before she got her answer, the creature opened its mouth, and that was the last thing Brittany saw.

26