Book One: Chapter 1
789 3 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Did you ever have a stage freak that totally made you go bonkers? Well, take this, for instance.

My legs froze into icicles, and my lungs barely pushed out my frigid breath. Geez, I had never been totally scared like this in my whole life!

Duh! Maybe because this was my first cheerleader competition!

While standing in front of the judges, I rubbed the sweat off my forehead and tucked my sleeveless purple and white cheerleader uniform, which had a gray wolf’s face on my chest. Next, I patted my short skirt before stroking my long crimped blond hair. 

Well, that didn’t help! 

Not even when the cold afternoon wind prickled my luminous light skin. God, I totally needed a chill pill…..

"Don't worry Jessica," said Holly. "We got this."

Wow! Did she totally read my mind? 

Teeheehee!

I totally knew Holly wasn’t psychic, but she was totally cute!

Aaaaaaah! I could pinch her cheeks all day!

Holly Gomez was a transfer student from Texas, born American though her parents were Mexican. Her dad brought a small bakery in downtown, which was why they moved. Her mom became a baker too, and since they thought Holly was too young to join their family business, she went to school instead.

Boring! But yeah, like what else could she do besides living alone at her house? I would not handle that either!

When I met her, I totally knew she would be adorable for our squad. It took all my power to make Tiffany Gardener, our cheer captain, to accept her. Thank god it worked out.

Not only her cuteness raised our popularity status, but she got great moves too! She also took a ballad class at her old school before she moved. With a little practice with us, she totally improved.

Way to go, girl!

“Alright ladies!” said one judge. “Show us what you got!”

I gulped with butterflies inside my belly. If only I could control my nerves instead of shaking like a chihuahua!

“Remember our routine, Jessica,” Holly whispered. “We can still do this.”

Oh, bless her heart for totally being brave!

Tiffany stepped forward and faced us. She may be a total redhead mean girl with creamy skin and large red lips, but under her icy cold beauty, she knew how to keep our butts in gear. Sometimes I wished I had her confidence. 

I admitted, she did behave like a total mean girl in front of anyone. She had a disorder of being totally aggressive and controlling like a drill instructor. Sure she could be a bitch sometimes, but she totally does care about us. Growing up with a rich family probably brainwashed her into thinking she was a total princess or something. I barely understood her big deal.

“Ready girls?" She shouted in her husky voice. "Let’s do this!”

The judge switched the radio on, blasting techno music into my ears. My feet rocked to the jam, then I raised up my pom-poms, shaking them in the air.

 

We are the Mighty Wolves!

The Mighty Mighty Wolves!

Oh yeah!

Woof woof!

Oh yeah!

Woof woof!

 

Tiffany and Malaya Yawda faced each other. They held out their arms and gripped each hand together.

Holly walked toward the other side of the field and turned her back. After a deep breath, she backflipped across the field quickly, she jumped into the air, twirling like a tornado, and she landed on Tiffany and Malaya’s arms.

Super!

The audience roared into a cheer. Even the judges dropped their months as if watermelons slid down their throats.

After Holly jumped off, Malaya sprinted to Holly's previous position, while Holly approached Tiffany and cupped her hands under Tiffany’s hands.

Malaya dashed toward Tiffany and Holly. Unlike Holly, she reversed backflipped, letting her hands touched the ground first before her feet.

She came close to the two girls, shot herself into the air, twirled her body, and then she landed on Tiffany and Holly’s hands.

The crowd cheered again, and the judges clapped their hands. 

Oh boy! Oh boy! We were totally rocking the crowd! 

After Malaya got off, I knew my turn was next. Fingers crossed!

I scrolled to the other end of the field and faced my friends, releasing my breath.

We spend months working on our stunt like a bat out of hell! And cost me broken bones and painful bruises. Thank god I totally survived my last fall! But I never gave up for the sake of my squad. This has to count as if my life depended on it. Don't laugh. We cheerleaders take our stunts seriously!

“Come on, Jessica!” Tiffany shouted.

Oh, right! I totally needed to snap out of my nervous trance! You can do it, Jessica! You can totally do it!

I narrowed my eyes and turned around. With my arms up, I backflipped. The world rolled over me spinning fast. Good thing my brain couldn't fall out of my head. I totally have done this a gazillion times!

Close to Tiffany and Holly, my feet touched the ground and sprang into the air, twirling my body like a helicopter. Then my feet landed on their palms.

“Whoa!” To keep my balance, I held out my arms, keeping both my legs and feet together. God, I kept falling off their hands like a bowling pin.

Tiffany and Holly lowered me down to the ground. I noticed they were breathing hard with red faces as if they almost had heart attacks like me. 

I know, right? Cheerleading was totally not as easy as it looked. 

We then gathered and sat on our knees like dogs. With our chins up, we howled at the orange sky like wolves.

ARH-WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

That was cringy, but it was part of our Mighty Wolves spirit. 

The music ended, and the audience clapped their hands and cheered out loud.

I smiled at them, but that didn't cure my anxiety yet. The judges were about to decide our fate.

“Thank you Mighty Wolves,” said the judge. “We will present the scores in a moment.”

How totally suspenseful. At least it won't last long. I would pee my panties if I had to wait that long. 

We sighed and sat back on the bleachers where I tapped my feet on the ground with my teeth rattling.

“That is so totally awesome, Jessica,” said Tiffany. “Although you almost broke my hands, that is still totally awesome!”

Words of wisdom. I totally needed that.

“Now we will announce the scores!” the judge announced.

Oh crap! Oh crap! Here come the scores!

24