Book One: Chapter 2
634 4 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Geez! My breath turned chilly as the judges held up their scoreboards, each with number 3’s on them.

“Nine points for Shark Head High!” the announcer said.

Oh, thank god! My cool breath escaped from my lips. Like I was ready to get a freaking heart attack!

The Shark Head cheerleaders were awful. Like they only did amateurish jumping jacks while waving their pom-poms as if they needed attention. Geez, acting cute doesn't make you a superstar.

After the audience padded their hands instead of clapping, the Shark Heads returned to their seats in tears. 

Oh boo-who, crybabies. What did you totally expect?

Up next, three points.

“Three points for the Ice Penguins!” said the announcer.

The Ice Penguin girls dropped their big mouths and cried in despair.

Oh my god! Of course, they did worst!

Building a pyramid with backflips equaled falling down on your ass. An easy recipe for failure.

But not to be a total downer, I knew it would be amazing if they had accomplished that trick. The last girl didn't leap too high and crashed into the squad like bowling pins. It was so heartbreaking, nobody could stop laughing. Thank god that wasn't my squad.

Next, seven points each.

“Angry Beavers get 21 points.”

Wha-wha-what? The Angry Beavers got 21 points! Dammmmmmn!

I totally never expected they would earn that high score. But it kind of made sense after they cartwheeled over a balancing beam and stood on each other’s shoulder to form a tall ladder with their pom-poms waving. So hard to say they were impressive when they were the enemy!

Anyway, the judges held up number nines next. 

“Twenty-seven points for the Tiger Claw!” the announcer shouted.

Noooooooooooo! My fear totally came true!

The Tiger Claw cheerleaders copied the Ice Penguins, except they didn't fell on their butts. They backflipped and landed into a pyramid stance with a better balance. Damn, the Ice Penguins must be jealous.

The Tiger Claws danced and hugged each other like they won the war or something.

Geez, they shouldn't get their freaking hopes up. 

“And now for the final squad!” the announcer shouted.

Oh my god! Oh my god! My legs shivered as I clung my fists together. God, did I totally looked like I needed to pee?

So nervous, I placed my hands on my face. I couldn't look at the scores!

“Thirty points for the Mighty Wolves!” the announcer's voice shouted. “The winners of the 20th Annual Moondale High Cheerleading Competition!"

Yucks!

All my girlfriends hugged me as we whirled around like we were in a freaking twister! I screamed my lungs out, jumping with my squad.

Thank god! We did it! We did it!

“I told you not to worry!” Holly shouted.

Awwwwwwww! Holly was totally our lucky charm! I couldn't stop hugging her!

*****

After the competition, we walked into the clear parking lot outside the football field. My daddy was the town's sheriff, and he couldn't make it to the competition. But I didn't care. He saw my performance before which counted. But the good thing about him not picking up, I get to spend time with my boyfriend tonight!

“We totally rock!” Tiffany shouted while carrying the trophy.

“You better guard our trophy with your life,” said Malaya. “That is going straight to our gallery.”

Tiffany laughed. “No way. I'm totally keeping this one at my house for safekeeping."

Yeah right. I could totally guess she wanted to keep our trophy for herself. There's no freaking sought thing as I in team!

“Hey Jessica,” said Holly. “I am going to throw a party at my place tonight. It will be our celebration. Wanna come?”

I bit my lip. “Oh, that is so totally awesome! But Mark and I are going out tonight.”

Tiffany rolled her eyes as if I had assaulted her. “Party pooper! You keep going out with Mark as if he is your sandwich.”

I smirked a catty grin. “Are you jealous because I am dating the hottest hunk ever?”

“No, but you could bring him over to party with us.”

“Not tonight. We are heading over to Blackwood Park for a-You. Know. What!”

My friends laughed.

Yeah, like why would I bring Mark over to a crowded house party? There would be loud music, people pigging out with snacks, and lots and lots of drinking. I am totally not a heavy drinker. If my dad knew, he would throw me in jail for a freaking decade. How could I ever listen to Mark's prince charming voice when all the ruckus like ruins our special engagement? And if we tried to use the bedroom, some other couple might beat us to it. Parties were not the best places for a date. If I was going to a party, I would just bring a shotgun. 

"Hi girls!"

Oh god, here comes the dork.

Kevin Lebowski approached us, carrying a notebook. 

Ewwwwww! What in the heck was he wearing?

A denim vest with a white shirt above long jean pants? Did he think we were still living in the ‘80s? With red hair and glasses, it made him look more of a total nerd.

No wonder the bullies at our school kept kicking his ass like a soccer game. If it wasn't for him doing our schoolwork, he would be drinking toilet water every day.  

I sure as hell don't know much about him, except he was nice and totally helpful. But don't let that fool you. 

Every time he finished my homework, he rewarded me with a creepy smile, like he wanted to see me without my clothes on. Sick pervert!

Sigh! Okay, maybe I was overreacting.

But I could totally tell he has a crush on me. Who wouldn't do homework for a pretty tall girl like me? 

Too bad, dork! Mark was my man. My man only!

Kevin held up the notebook toward me, doing his freaky dicky grin again. "I wrote down the notes for your next quiz, Jessica. They are easy to read."

I grabbed the notebook with two fingers. Who knew where he got that notebook from. "Thanksssss."

"I'm sorry I couldn't make it to your competition. There were a lot of notes I needed to write down."

"It's no biggie," Tiffany raised our trophy, "except we won!"

Kevin widened his grin. "Congratulations. What are your plans now?"

"We are going to a party at my place," said Holly.

"Except Jessica," said Malaya. "She's going out with her boyfriend tonight."

"Oh….." Kevin frowned as if he forgot I wasn't single.

Get over it!

"Where are you both heading to?" He asked.

Ah, he had no right to know! My own business! But I knew for the fact mean girls could lose their supporters. Besides, he couldn't do anything. "Blackwood Park,"

Kevin widened his eyes. "Blackwood Park? At night?"

“Yeah, Mark said he knows a spot where nobody will bother us. I am totally so psyched about it!”

“But haven’t you heard what happened at Blackwood Park? A couple was found dead in there!”

I rolled my eyes. “I know that, but nothing is going to stop me from having a good time with my sweetie.”

“You need to stop being super suspicious, Kevin,” said Malaya. “If Jessica wants to have a sexy ass time with her hunk of burning love, that is her business.”

You tell him, girlfriend!

Malaya Wayne was good at standing up for me, and totally tough as nails. 

During a tryout, we had a hard time choosing our fourth member until Malaya showed up. Because we never had an African American, Tiffany selected her straight out of the blue. Although Malaya wasn't good, we gave her time to practice so we wouldn't fail. 

To be honest, I totally thought Tiffany wanted a black girl on our squad to look diverse. But anyone should become a cheerleader, no matter if they suck or not. It takes great practice to raise your game.

Kevin glared at her. “I am serious! Why tonight?”

“Because the full moon is coming out,” said Jessica. “It is going to be totally romantic!”

“That is even worse!”

I pointed my finger at him. "You're just being jelly, Kevin. We are going to have fun tonight and nothing is going to stop us. N.G.T.S.U! Not-going-to-stop-us!"

Just in time, Mark's red ford mustang drove into the parking lot. After he stopped, my super hottie honked his car.

"Sweetie!" I  hopped into his car and hugged him. 

Wow! I loved his chisel face with greasy spiked black hair and big muscular arms. Yummy! His black leather jacket sparkled in spicy cologne, pulling me closer to his sweet lavender scent.

“Sorry I missed your show,” he said. “My part-time job was hell.”

“That is okay.” I kissed him fast.

“Did you win?”

“Of course we did, sweetie! We are totally number one!”

“Cool.”

Kevin waved. “Hi, Mark.”

"Sup loser,” said Mark. "Don't touch my ride, or I will knock you out."

Kevin glared and turned his focus toward me. “Please don’t go, Jessica. It's dangerous out there.”

Oh god, I rolled my eyes. "Geez, stop trying to act like my dad. Just worry about my next homework! Mark will protect me."

“Damn right!" Mark hit the gas pedal, driving us away from that loser.

Nobody tells what to do….. Except for my dad….. And my friends. 

Ah! Never mind!

25