Book Three: Chapter 8
99 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.


I climbed up the tree, close to the broken window behind the museum. It took me a little time to check out the surroundings without the police catching me. Finding the broken glasses on the ground was the first thing I spotted before looking up at the open window. I was sure the lady on Dad’s phone said someone broke into the museum. But it looked like someone actually broke out.

In the tree, I peeked at the window, making sure there was no cop behind it. I leaped straight through the window and landed on all fours inside.

The floor was clear; no broken glasses scattered around. It would totally hurt as hell if the glass shards cut my feet, but with my super healing, my cuts would heal permanently. However, I could leave a blood trail where anyone could track it. I must stay untraceable like a predator.

I crawled slowly toward the Egyptian exhibit room, but I stopped when two shadows appeared in front of me. I leaped to the ceiling as I changed my fingernails into claws, digging them into the ceiling. While sticking on the ceiling, my dad and his partner, Bill, strolled through the hallway from the exhibit.

Frozen like a cat, I kept my lips closed so my breath wouldn't be loud.

“The forensic should be here soon,” said Bill. “Are you sure we shouldn’t tell them anything.”

“Let them examine the crime scene first. We will put together some conclusions,” Dad suggested.

Bill sighed. “I hope this doesn’t take all night.”

“It better not. Let’s see what the surveillance can show us.”

“Okay.”

After the sheriffs left the hallway, I dropped down quietly. I would totally be embarrassed if Dad caught me. Good thing werewolves were quiet predators. I could sneak anywhere and no human would ever notice me.

Now the crime scene. I peeked into the exhibit without cops standing around the Egyptian relics. I reached toward the center of the room, staying as low as possible. 

In front of the tall broken glass case, the black sarcophagus's seal hung open near a strange dead body. The corpse looked like a mummy without its bandages on, dressed up as a security guard. But it couldn't be a silly prank.

I sniffed the corpse. Strong cologne, but nothing more. 

I poked my finger at the corpse's face. The skin felt hard although it looked fresh. If the corpse was a security guard, it looked like he died a hundred years ago. How could that be possible?

Whoever killed him, probably came from the sarcophagus. A living mummy? Well, duh! Anything supernatural could happen.

I rose over the sarcophagus and sniffed inside. The smell stuck my face hard, nearly pushing me off my feet.

It was the smell of death, ancient and haunting. Being buried alive in there must be very horrible.

I sniffed again and realized the scent drifted toward the hallway. I followed the scent into the hallway and approached the window where it stopped. 

I guessed whatever came out from the sarcophagus had broken out. Now it was running around in Moondale.

I better let Kevin and Salina know about this.

4