18. The Chosen Path (VII)
1.2k 5 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With it finally being her time to climb on stage, Yuan Yue walked forward while cracking her knuckles. Her eyes were blazing in a silent rage, an expression Yueshi had never imagined she was able to make.

Well, it was to be expected. He had heard before of how she thought of the dojo's disciples as her siblings and instructors as her elders. If someone messed with her family, how could she be happy with it?

Yuan Yue watched with narrowed eyes as someone walked out from the other group. It was a familiar face, probably someone she had met in a previous sparring match. She didn't care, though. The dojo was everything to her, and anyone who dared to come and cause trouble was an enemy.

Getting into position, she observed her opponent from head to toes, and then fixed her eyes on his.

When the signal to start was given, she immediately lunged forward with maximum speed.

Yes, she lacked the finesse of a sword master, the power of a spearman, and the flexibility of a whip user, but her fists were enough to her. Pure and reckless power was contained in her two, small hands.

To her surprise, her opponent decided to face her strike head-on. His fist came flying in with exemplar speed, and for a moment, she caught sight of something flashing in the middle of his fingers. It was too late, though.

As their fists collided, she felt a sharp pain spread through her body - like electricity, it spread from her first through her whole body. Gritting her teeth, she said nothing. She was afraid her master would interfere in the battle had she voiced her pain and surprise.

The impact of their collision had sent the young man flying back like a cannonball, and it was through sheer luck that he had not been knocked out of the stage.

Looking at her fist for a moment, she could see a small, red dot. There was no blood and no trace of the weapon used, but she could imagine what was going on. Lifting her brown, she thought about it for a moment.

Well, her determination did not waver. She would deal with the consequences as they came, right now, she knew what she wanted and had to do.

She lunged forward once more and saw her opponent jump toward her. Once again, she caught sight of something gleaming, yet, completely ignored the fact. Then, her fist collided against his - the prickling pain assaulting her once again.

This time, though, the aftermath was different.

Instead of being throw away, it was only his arm that was knocked back. While he was still surprised by that, her left fist came crashing in against his face with all her power.

Along with the loud explosion came the shouts of the other disciples. Yuan Yue watched as the young man's body flew like a rag-doll through the stage, knocking against his fellow disciples. Then, came a shout of surprise.

"He is dead!" Those words immediately sent a shiver down everyone's spine, creating a commotion.

Yuan Yue smiled, faintly. Then, staring at the group of disciples from the other two dojos, she spoke aloud. "No one messes with my family." This was not only a statement but, also, a threat.

She was Yuan Yue, Flying Snow Dojo's head disciple, and if anyone thought they could come and go as they pleased, they were completely wrong.

Turning around, she walked toward her 'family'. She could see the smile on their eyes, despite her brutal actions. He could hear the cheers of the young ones, the clapping of the elders, and the tender smile on her master's face. Lifting her fist in a victorious motion, she laughed alongside them.

No one saw, though, that behind her beautiful and vibrant eyes, a trace of pain flashed by. She just winced slightly and threw it to the back of her mind. She was sure that she would have made the same choice even if she was aware of the outcome of her actions.

--- - -

As the other two dojos left, the other disciples immediately swarmed around Yueshi with gleaming and excited eyes. They bombarded him with questions about what the hell had happened in his fight, and how strong he truly was.

In the end, he could only scratch his cheek and laugh awkwardly. How could he explain that he had only followed the 'image' in his head, and things had ended like that?

He was a newbie, but he had already noticed that what Mu Qiang had taught him was no simple beginner's technique.

After a few older disciples brought everyone away, Yueshi looked around. His master had left, and only god-knows-where he went. Yuan Yue was chatting with his master, and the older man seemed to berate her as she showed him her fist.

Lifting an eyebrow, he wondered about what was going on. However, he judged it was not right for him to just go and interrupt them. In the end, he walked toward his sister and the beautiful lady and instructor, Zhiyun.

He was a bit worried about what his sister would think after seeing him act like an asshole, and breaking someone else's spine. It was only after his eyes hovered here and there that they met hers, and, thankfully, they were still the same.

Gentle, caring, and filled with concern.

"You did well." Zhiyun congratulated him with a pat on the shoulder, her dark and gloomy eyes hovering over him. Yueshi had to admit that the mature lady was truly charming, although a bit scary. "I will let you two speak alone, also feel free to go home if you want, and don't worry about any repercussions. We will take care of that."

Hearing her words and seeing her dark eyes gleam softly, Yueshi felt both assured and a bit scared. Nonetheless, he had indeed been a bit concerned over that, and her words more than just relieved. For some reason, he trusted those people despite only knowing them for a short time.

That aside, Yueshi would not let the chance of staying close to his beloved sister slip away.

Offering her his arm, he grinned foolishly when she interlocked their arms. He just loved that feeling.

As they walked back home shoulder to shoulder, he started to shamelessly brag about his victory, expecting to be praised for his talent and mastery of the spear. He was being stupid, and apparently, his hopes seemed to be too high, too.

A soft thud echoed by his ears as Xuehua chopped on his head with her free hand. She then smiled at him. "Aren't you too full of yourself? You can't even cook by yourself and yet keeps bragging like that… Ah, what will I do with you." His plan completely backfired as she teased him with an exaggerated long sigh.

Yueshi pouted. "Common, didn't you see how amazing I was?" His tone was a bit louder than usual, attracting attention from the passerby.

A few disciples that were moving in the same direction had wanted to approach to chat with Yueshi. However, seeing the harmonious atmosphere between the siblings, no one barged in on their space. A few merely laughed, thinking that even 'the guy that has broken someone's spine could not win against his sister'.

Like that, the night passed by in a flash of peace, and so did the following days. Yueshi and Xuehua went to train like usual, having completely put their jobs aside.

To Yueshi's surprise, when he went to talk with his employer about his future plans, the old man did not complain nor did he nag at him. Yueshi felt bittersweet at the fact. It was clear to him, then, that the old man truly cared about him, and was genuinely happy he could join the Star Sea Sect.

Unfortunately, he was not the Yueshi that those people cared about.

That aside, the day of the examination finally arrived.

Yueshi and the others went to the dojo and, after meeting the others, they went to the city's core zone. Its enormous size came as a surprise o him, considering that only the four big families occupied this place.

The ruling Ling Family lived in the center-most area of the zone, and just in front of its gates, one could see a gigantic array engraved on the stone floor.

Once there, Yueshi saw the old man responsible for registering him, and, like before, he seemed really sleepy. After everyone arrived, he finally snapped his eyes open.

"The rules will be properly explained once you arrive at the examination's site." Everyone nodded at his words. "Be warned, though, that the sect will not take responsibility for your lives. So if you afraid of dying, this is your last chance to forfeit!"

His words started a small commotion as people whispered her and there. Nonetheless, no one gave up.

The man's eyes hovered over them like the eyes of an eagle, gleaming with a sharp, bestial light. Seeing no one make a move, he waved his hand, and then, the square burst into blinding light.

Yueshi tried to keep his eyes open, but it was to no avail. Through his ears, he heard the old man muttering some sort of chant, but was unable to comprehend the words he uttered.

After what felt like a minute his vision recovered completely, and he was able to see what the old man had been working on - a giant pillar of light that pierced the clouds, seeming to reach the firmaments of heaven.

However, what interested him more were the runic-like scriptures that floated while circling it.

"Once you walk through this gate, you will be at the doorsteps of the Star Sea Sect. If you are successful in your endeavor, we shall meet again. If you are not, then fate has dictated that this is where we part ways."

The people of the city were already used to the pillar that cut through the clouds, nonetheless, a certain fervor soon spread through the crowd.

As Yueshi observed people enter through the light pillar, he felt a hand suddenly pat his shoulder. Turning back to look, he Mu Qiang smiling slightly at him.

"You only trained under me for a few days, but if you recognize me as your master, then you are my disciple." Before Yueshi could open his mouth, he continued. "After you enter the Sect, chances are we are not going to meet any time soon. However, I hope you continue to practice your martial arts' conceptualization."

Yueshi nodded seriously.

"If you stay true to your heart and to your spear, then our paths will surely cross again." Saying so he tightened his grip on Yueshi's shoulder, in a show of encouragement.

It was even clearer now that the man was leaving for good. Even if Yueshi came back to this city, he would not be able to find Mu Qiang here.

"Where are going to go?" Yueshi asked, curious.

"Anywhere." Seeing that his answer did not satisfy Yueshi, he smirked. "The world is broad and the heavens endless. There are many things to see and there are many people to meet. Growth can only be achieved by those willing to walk toward where the earth meets the sky."

Yueshi rolled his eyes and punched the man on the shoulder. Such vague words, what use were they? In the end, he shook his head and stared the older man in the eyes.

Mu Qiang seemed particularly emotional today.

"The world is broad, almost endless, but fate has brought you together as master and disciple." Yuanqi quipped in from the side, smiling. "Don't worry too much, for fate has brought you together, and it shall not tear you apart."

Those words sounded odd to Yueshi, almost as if he was marrying his master, but he decided to not waste Yuanqi's kind intentions.

Finally, giving Yueshi one last glance, Mu Qiang looked at Xuehua. "Your brother might become a pain in the ass, so make sure he does not go too wild." Laughing slightly, he turned and left with the older generation.

The Flying Snow Dojo in the surroundings watched them leave, their hearts burning with fire. 'Yes', they told themselves, 'the Star Sea Sect is merely another start! One day we will gaze at an even broader sky!'

As they moved through the gates leading to the examination site, Xuehua took a good look at her brother from the side. He looked serious and determined, making her smile sweetly.

Then, gazing at the faraway sky, she prayed. Prayed that Mu Qiang's vision became real and that her dear brother went on to achieve great things.

And this is the last release we will be getting today! Hopefully, everyone has enjoyed reading it, despite my lack of skills. Love you guys and see you tomorrow for another one (and a bonus smut chapter if nothing goes wrong)! '3'~♥

26