61. Danger at Every Step (III)
350 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Since they had already decided what to do, they did it as fast as they could.

After the others heard what they had to say and explained what was happening, everyone did their best to help and move the ones with the greatest injuries.

While Zhu Xiong coordinated the people in the cave, You Ping left to find a new hideout.

They even considered moving out as a group and holing up in a new place, however, that would lead the enemies to charge in without worries - taking their attitude as an expression of fear and weakness.

Moreover, chances were that the second hideout would also be found out if they all moved. On the other hand, with a part of the group attacking, there was the possibility that the other side would not bother searching for more people.

Like that, in the span of a single day, things were settled and the group split into two once again.

Anyone able to fight, even if injured, decided to stay on the first group – resulting in five people being there, including Yueshi and Zhu Xiong.

Yuan Yue wanted to help too, but Yueshi was able to convince her that it would be better if she stayed behind. That way, if anything happened when they were out, she would be able to help the other two.

And since that was not, exactly, a lie, she ended accepting it.

The others also seemed a bit more reassured with that, since the two that were staying behind were a blind man and an unconscious one.

Changing the subject and coming back to Yueshi and the others…

Right now, the group was already standing at the canyon’s entrance, prepared to make their move – live or death, everything would be decided in a moment!

Three people were able to fight properly, two were severely hurt. That was the fighting force that would attack the supposed group of thieves.

However, though they were anxious about a few things, they were not afraid – not of their enemies, at least.

“Does everyone remember their role?” You Ping, as their current leader, asked everyone. In answer, he received nods. “Then, get ready.”

Just as his words ended, everyone dashed out to take their own positions. They were not sure about the number of enemies, or their numbers; so they had to be meticulous and not leave any room for mistakes.

After everyone moved, You Ping was left alone.

Looking toward the direction of the enemy camp, his eyes grew colder by the second. Yu Hai had left the group in his hands, and if he had to pay with his life to protect it, then so be it.

He was just afraid that those foolish and heavily emotional companions of his would not allow him to go alone.

Shaking his head, he stopped thinking about it and started to move, becoming a blur.

— - -

Because of his injuries, Yueshi was not given permission to be on the front line, and that role would be taken by You Ping alone.

Instead, he was given a bow and sent to stand above the canyon and the frail pathway, and he would act as support from there – sniping at any enemy he could.

Hu Liangshi would stay hidden and interfere if You Ping faced trouble, Zhu Xiong would follow the pathway on the other side and act as a supporter too – the mature lady could use a bow even with her feet, and Yueshi was extremely surprised hearing that.

Liu Bai was their assassin, and they planned for him to sneak into the enemy camp and slaughter as much as he could.

If it was possible, he would also attack the enemies from the back while You Ping was dealing with them.

The narrow pathway was steep and dangerous, and, because the topmost part of this place was also irregular, there were certain places where ceiling-like structures shadowed the steep path.

One of such cases was above the enemies’ camp, the largest part of the pathway – even if Yueshi wanted to snipe them out from there, it would be impossible.

That being so, he could only settle for a place some distance away from where the battle would be taking place – where the sharp and protruding rocky walls would not stay on his way.

Having settled on a good spot, Yueshi waited. Because of his high position, he could see Zhu Xiong on the other side, running extremely fast and yet taking care to not be noticed.

Not long after, he focused entirely on You Ping and Hu Liangshi, the latter moving sneakily behind the man.

Soon, the two were just a few dozen meters away from the enemy encampment. However, before the other side could even notice them, You Ping was already doing his part and drawing their attention toward him.

"This land, this region, this snow, and this canyon, they all belong to me. Which coward and dirty bastards dare to walk on my land?" His voice echoed far and wide, enough to make a few pebbles roll down the canyon's walls.

At his words, it was as if the entire camp had come to life – people clamored and shouted, breaking into a noise mess.

However, instants later, they all quieted down as many of them stood behind the neatly-arranged rocks they had been using as walls.

"This sky, this world, this realm, it all belongs to me. Who is it that dares to be insolent toward this King?" By now, Yueshi was not sure if You Ping was trying to annoy them or act cool. "Oh, isn't it a bunch of dirty rats coming straight out of the sewers?"

That was only the beginning. The other side was apparently waiting for something, however, You Ping continued to shout and cuss at them – even putting their parents in the middle of it.

Yueshi had to admit that it was quite a low move, and he would have punched the older man at any other moment.

Soon, the group on the other side of the rocks parted ways and gave space for a middle-aged man.

The man had narrow and ferocious eyes, and he looked like a wild beast – his hair and beard were a mess, to the point Yueshi judged they had not been washed in years.

“Who goes there? Is that not the king of the mice? For god’s sake, one can smell the putrid and rancid scent of his body from miles away! How can someone be so dirty?” You Ping seemed to like his current role, as he did not stop for even a second.

And while they were a bit far, Yueshi could see dragon-like veins throbbing on the middle-aged man’s head – and the same could be said about his subordinates.

Well, with how much You Ping was cursing it was to be expected.

However, that was not the most important thing.

The leader glanced at You Ping coldly, and even while he thought that there should be another few hidden somewhere – as he had heard there was a group residing not too far away – he gave the order for his men to move and take care of the enemy.

Even if they were not a match, he would only be losing a few grunts until he learned the enemy’s power. Then, he could make a better plan when that happened.

Obviously, without any reward, no one would be willing to make a move against an unknown opponent.

“Anyone who can bring me his head will be awarded two hundred gold coins!” His voice was powerful as he announced so, making his companions giddy and earnest to go.

Soon, a few men could not stay idle anymore.

Most of them decided to become thieves because of money, and only a few decided to follow such a path out of the evilness and darkness in their hearts.

Seeing a few people rush forward in the hopes of getting the reward, the others soon stopped thinking hard about it.

What if the man over there was just a pushover? Then, they would be able to get two hundred gold coins for free.

Almost immediately, twenty or so men started to rush forward with seemingly unstoppable momentum.

Fortunately, none of them seemed strong and, from the aura they released, Yueshi guessed the strongest was at the first stage at most.

The problem was the thirty or so that stayed behind, as well as their leader.

It was with a whooshing sound that an arrow tore through the air from the pathway on the other side of the canyon, lodging itself on a bandit’s neck.

Blood spilled out like a fountain, drenching those close to him – Zhu Xiong had made her move. Seeing that, Yushi stopped thinking about other things.

His spear lying to the side, he took out the bow strapped on his back and held it firmly. He had never learned how to use a bow before, but he was also not the inexperienced youngster from some time ago.

Nocking the arrow, he released it with precision and speed – it flew all the way toward the thieves, piercing a man’s head.

Obviously, those people would not stay idle and be slaughtered like that; the following arrows released by him and Zhu Xiong met resistance with some being deflected or even slashed in pieces.

The group was not that worried for now, however.

You Ping was on the fourth stage and could deal with those men alone, they were merely putting on a show.

In the best-case scenario, the leader would come to fight while thinking that You Ping was weaker than him, would give You Ping an edge in the fight!

— - -

The result of the first confrontation was a victory for Yueshi's side.

Before even reaching You Ping, nine thieves had died at the hands of the two archers.

With the help of Yueshi and Zhu Xiong, the remaining people were eventually taken care of. Thanks to the fact that only two men could walk side by side in the narrow path, the first confrontation was easy to win.

All the while, You Ping did not display his full power, giving others the impression he was at most on the second stage of the Body Refinement Realm.

The leader continued to stand behind the small wall of stones, only observing. They had chosen this place because it was hard for people to attack them in groups.

However, that proved to be both a flaw and advantage of this region – when defending only a few people could go out to confront the enemy at the same time.

'However, that will be dealt with when we build a proper wall.' They had settled here not too long ago, so he was not disappointed. Instead, he was thinking about what to do next.

Only three people were attacking right now, so he was not worried about it. What he was concerned about was the idea that there were enemies in hiding that were waiting for a chance to ambush them.

“Zhen Yu, take ten brothers and bring that bastard down.” After thinking for a while, he made his decision. “Zhu San, bring a few with you and snipe those little rats out of their hiding roles.”

His eyes narrowed, glowing coldly. Even if there were people still hiding, he would deal with them as they came.

He had ambitions and objectives for this bandit group, and he would not be able to achieve them if he was always afraid of the unknown.

Just as his orders echoed, the people immediately moved.

You Ping’s eyes narrowed seeing that.

Those guys moved not like bandits, but like trained men coming directly out of the military – from their postures to their way of moving, and even how they immediately reacted to orders without a single thought, it was nothing like the average thieves and burglars.

However, he did not care too much – bandits, thieves, soldiers, or whatever they were, they would die today.

Chances were that the group would not have been hostile from the start; chances were they could talk it out and deal with the situation if they had not fought; chances were that this fight was meaningless.

However, he was not willing to leave it to luck, fate, destiny, the heavens, or whatever one called it.

It was his friends’ and comrades’ lives at risk here, and he did not want to bet them in chances!

“‘Hah.” He sighed softly and shook his head. He was starting to feel like one of those valiant heroes - and that did not suit him at all!

You can now check my Patreon where you can read from 5 to 20 chapters ahead and also check unreleased projects that I worked on (20000-ish words, or that plus other 40000-ish words). If you join now, you can also take a look at my side project: Reincarnated as a Side Character: Who the **** is an Extra? — which features a female protagonist and yuri. It will also get released here by the 20th of April, but the release rate will probably be 1 or 2 chapters per week.

Please check it out if you have the time. Here is the link if you don't feel like clicking the 'tip' button of ScribbleHub: Patreon

That out of the way, please leave a review or comment if you can! See you tomorrow for more! Love you guys! '3'~♥

11